State of South Carolina Employee Reviews

Horrible place to work
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  SC - South CarolinaApril 17, 2017
What would you find in Liber: Corruption, Understaffed, working with Murders, you life will be in danger and benefits are bad. They will write you off if you used sickleave. Management are Horrible.
loved the job
RN Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  SC,GreenvilleMarch 15, 2017
Opportunity to help the citizens of South Carolina kick addictions
and aid them in getting back into the work force.Good work environment.Very friendly staff. great support from Management.
Pros
retirement
Cons
pay
Security Analyst (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCMarch 9, 2017
great management and culture. Everyone was warm and welcoming and made you feel at home. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people. The worst thing was leaving.
Pros
pay
Cons
short term job
Run... Do not walk...far far away.
Employee (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCMarch 9, 2017
Imagine all your experiences as a "customer" at the DMV... Now imagine spending 42 hrs/week there. That's what GMHC is like. Very unprofessional, without a desire to improve or change. Client needs are of little concern at the top. It is all about billing to the core. Salaries are not competitive. Don't let that salary "range" fool you. It's the first number. Raises are rare and practically nothing... then they act like they did you a favor. My advice? Go private especially once licensed. Give yourself options.

Also there's a lot of petty and small minded people that know they are stuck there. Save yourself.
Pros
Paid holidays.
Cons
Will make you worse at your job. Small minded people.
Lack Professionalism
RN (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCDecember 24, 2016
RN be very careful as to what you are getting hired into. I was moved around within a clinic and was faced with doing a job that I did not want to do. Poor interview process with non RN hiring staff into position they did not truly understand. Turnover is high and moral low.
Pros
Daytime hours
Cons
Poor management
Constant change
Paramedic (Former Employee) –  Cloumbia, SCOctober 20, 2016
I was responsible for the healthcare and transporting sick and injured patients to the hospital. The job was a challenge everyday and no two days were the same.
Pros
Advancement
Cons
Pay and benefits
Enjoyed my job with the State where I felt welcomed and was introduced to a lot of opportunity
Wastewater Technician (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCSeptember 26, 2016
Had great Supervisors which were very interactive with each employee and took the time to listen to all work related issues.
I look very forward to work each day where I felt welcomed and appreciated.
Pros
Felt appreciated
Cons
Not much room for advancement
If you can get hired and do the same job forever..... this is for you!
Election Database Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCSeptember 12, 2016
If you can get hired and do the same job forever this is the place for you. There was no chances for advancement or growth. Alot of jobs have been cut since this administration is trying to get the retirement system outta the red.

It may be the better place to work in the area but not a place to stay. I don't think most people can stand the constant bickering and drama to make it a career. Very common in most of these state offices. It's a hard job in that respect.
Pros
Job - decent pay and decent benefits
Cons
Drama - job cuts - uncertainty - complicated work environment - buddy system
Behavioral health clinic. Berkley
Behavioral health RN (Former Employee) –  Moncks Corner, SCAugust 22, 2016
The DON and her Minion Supervisor have a vitriolic symbiotic relationship that is nothing less than dangerous. Moral is below poor. Columbia is well aware of how nursing is treated...they do not act. Even the medical director seems clueless. The turnover is startling.....patient care suffers.....nursing licenses are in jeopardy OR being threatened ...and the director while smart is so used to life in the good ole boys and girls club....she also does nothing, but wait for retirement.
Pros
Nice coworkers
Cons
Abuse of staff, poor pay, devalued.
Lots of "verbatim" testimony
Court Reporter (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCAugust 19, 2016
Exciting to go to do depositions in the lawyer's offices, and in the courtroom. Very serious demeanor required, not a lot of "fun," but it was a rewarding career for a while.
Pros
Being such an important part of legal procedure
Cons
Getting paid on time by lawyers
Great entry level Hr position
HR Specialist (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJune 12, 2016
This is a great entry level HR position. You will need tough skin to tolerate being treated like a child though. Management tends to be threatened by anyone that has HR knowledge.. Management rules with intimidation and uses the same approach that was used 30 years ago. Turnover is extremely rampant including HR. All employees are familiar with the toxicity within management, but central office fails to intervene. If central office would interview previous employees including HR, this organization could be turned around. There are many people that work extremely hard, but will never succeed due to office politics. Employees that do not work in HR should not be privy to CONFIDENTIAL HR matters!
Pros
Great parking
Cons
Everything else about the organization
Cleaned bobbins/spools
Assembly Worker (Former Employee) –  Seneca, SCApril 26, 2016
This job was given to me for job training through Vocational Rehabilitation services.

We had breaks inbetween the beggining of the work day and lunch and another halfway between lunch and the end of the day.

The supervisors were very understanding and helpful when you didn't understand something.
A day as a landscaper.
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCFebruary 17, 2016
When we get to work we gather all of the equipment we need for the day. Then we go to the place and separated us into groups and star working.
Pros
Free juice all day
Cons
We get 2 30 minutes breaks
Good 'ol boys
Withheld (Former Employee) –  CharlestonAugust 20, 2015
I observed that supervisors knew each other for years and that the bullying and intimidation starts at the top and goes down the ranks.

I did the job for two people because I quit from the stress and lack of materials and support.

Two people were hired to do my job.
Pros
Good benes and salary if you can stand the bullying and micromanagement.
Cons
I did my job plus more...Bullying from management. There should be a law against it.
Challenging
Classification and Compensation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCJuly 11, 2015
Co-workers are genuine and passionate about their jobs, the ability to provide employment for my community. Flexibility of work schedules and family friendly environment.
Long, grueling probation. Board of Nursing disrespectful, degrading work environment.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCFebruary 28, 2015
Board of Nursing is very busy, staff are not appreciated. Administrator is very self motivated and looks for every opportunity to get rid of staff.
High turnover!!! Be very careful as most do not make it through the 12 month probationary phase.
Run!!!!And as fast as you can!!!
Nutrition education specialist (Current Employee) –  PeeDeeDecember 23, 2014
Sucks!!!! Management makes up rules as they come. They are definitely interested in numbers and not the employee who has to try to complete the impossible. So many people are trying to get the he!! out of that place, so am I....taking the first thing smoking hunty!!!
Pros
My coworkers, Love them!!
Cons
penny salary
avoid at all costs.
administrative assistant (Current Employee) –  rock hillSeptember 17, 2014
Simple. Wayyyyy overworked and underpaid. And they don't care about you if you have a death in your family or a sick child. They write you up for taking YOUR leave time. Look elsewhere.
It's who you know!!!
Admin specialist (Former Employee) –  Horry countyJuly 19, 2014
If you are not related to any one in the agency, you will NEVER be treated fairly! If you like chaos and immature adults with nothing else better to do than nitpick you to death about simple, petty stuff that has no merit, then this is the job for you!
Pros
The clients! If it were not for them...I would not have stayed as long as I did.
Cons
Management sucks from the executives to the managers at the bottom! So clickish!
I hate it.
Human services specialist II (Current Employee) –  In a countyJune 19, 2014
I work with SCDSS CPS and APS and I absolutely dislike what I do. It's stressful and I feel like my life is always in danger when making home visits! The amount of work is ridiculous. Everything you do is NEVER enough. Long hours, staffings, it's too much. I'm outta here on the first thing smoking. In addition the salary is laughable for everything you are required to do. This just was only good for experience to work with families.
Pros
My coworkers make it worthwhile
Cons
Salary, stress, home visits/work environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at State of South Carolina. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9