State of South Carolina

State of South Carolina Employer Reviews

I HATE IT.
Human services specialist II (Current Employee), In a countyJune 19, 2014
Pros: my coworkers make it worthwhile
Cons: salary, stress, home visits/work environment
I work with SCDSS CPS and APS and I absolutely dislike what I do. It's stressful and I feel like my life is always in danger when making home visits! The amount of work is ridiculous. Everything you do is NEVER enough. Long hours, staffings, it's too much. I'm outta here on the first thing smoking. In addition the salary is laughable for everything – more... you are required to do. This just was only good for experience to work with families. – less
Beginning of my career
Help Desk Analyst, (Former Employee), Columbia, SCJune 17, 2014
worked with Dept of Health and Human Services to update computers and printers. Worked with great people that cared about others
Productive and busy place to work
Grounds Mainteance (Former Employee), Georgetown, SCJune 16, 2014
I work with some good people and learned some things in the process.
Tough job
Human Services Specialist II (Former Employee), Berkeley County South CarolinaMarch 12, 2014
Pros: decent health benefits
Cons: the salary is not comparable to the level of work and safety risks that can come with the job.
This job was very emotionally exhausting but worth the hard times to see the good things that come from the work. I would not recommend it for a single parent or someone who is not willing to give up their family time on the weekends or evenings since they require on call shifts.
Hardworking group
Program Assistant (Former Employee), Conway, SCMarch 2, 2014
Hardworking office , not enough FT positions. Never felt secure in job.
Processing applications for severe emotional children seeking our services.
Intake Coordinator (Current Employee), Greenville, SCFebruary 16, 2014
Pros: good benefits, hours
Cons: stressful job dealing with families of severe emotional children
Processing Applications from the 14 counties in the upstate of SC.
Document Service notes for time and activity for each applicant.
Worst place I've ever worked.
Administrative Assistant Office of General Counsel (Former Employee), Columbia, SCFebruary 6, 2014
Cons: everything
Over worked and under paid! Only one in the office to work for 4 attorneys and expected to do administrative coordinator's job as well as my own. Administrative Coordinator never worked a full week the whole time I worked there.
Arrogance In Bushels
Instructor (Current Employee), Mt PleasantNovember 26, 2013
Pros: watching stupidly personified...very entertaining
Cons: see my review
Witnessing what the likes of ReadySC provided the employees of Boeing, arrogant and knowledge-less leadership was THE name of the game! Out of all these instructors, MAYBE ONE qualified for the task at hand. The rest were nothing more than military folks who knew nothing but "a" singular task and then...they try to pass themselves off as qualified instructors. – more... The big cheese in charge...had his position for the fact that...he was nothing more than a minority and offered up nothing more then an overdose of arrogance. I was elated when a LICENSED aircraft mechsnic and new hire at Boeing as a Flight Readiness Technician got into a confrontation with my so-called boss, told my biss to shove it were the sun doesn't shine....QUIT...and NOW the same individual is an FAA inspector!

You don't wanna work fir SC folks. They cater simply to the likes of affirmative action regardless of qualifications! – less
Production
Floor Technician, Custodian (Former Employee), Columbia, SCJune 5, 2013
Pros: learning multiple skills
Cons: wages and hours
Typical day:
Arrive to work, complete work as instructed
What I learned:
Various skills
Management:
Implemented policy and procedure
Co-workers:
Team players
Hardest part of job:
Long hard hours and below minimum wages:
Most enjoyable:
Productive and enhancement of work skills
Horrible place to work!
Child Care Licensing Regulatory Specialist (Former Employee), Office located in Florence, SCMay 21, 2013
Pros: it is a state job
Cons: everything! temporary grant, no grievances, no compassion for workers
Worked for Child Care Licensing. Was a dead-end, low- pay job. Upper management did not care about workers, only interested in meeting goals and numbers. Supervisor was horrible- bad mood swings. Being a temporary grant employee, there are no grievances so you could be terminated at any given time- without reason- even if it is as simple as you and – more... immediate supervisor did not get along. Horrible place to work. I'm so glad I'm out of there, should have left sooner. Very clique-ish.

Job duties are not as stated on vacancy notice is inaccurate. The expectations are astronomical and very unattainable. Little to no training. Low- pay for the dangers encountered such as- entering people's homes with/without law enforcement, there is a LOT of travel in subpar State vehicles. The vehicles provided are in very bad shape and there is no interest in management/ supervisor in upgrading within the fleet as long as they get to drive the newer cars.

Immediate supervisor encourage clique-ish behaviors and engage in gossip among co-workers. There is not a system of checks and balances within the agency. There are a lot of unfair, unjust, and bad mangement practices that goes unchecked to clients and workers.

I would not recommend this job to anyone! Maybe another region (County) but definately not the Florence office. – less
Horrible agency to work for
Counselor (Former Employee), Conway, SCApril 6, 2013
Pros: made great friends
Cons: management staff, micro-managed, expectations.
This was the worst agency i have worked for during my professional career. Management is run by sorority sisters who have each others backs but not yours. There was absolutely no support from immediate supervisor, she had incredibly negative mood swings. She would berate staff in front of others. She would come in and not even say good morning to anyone....no – more... exaggeration. Very hostile work environment. Everyone always felt like they had to walk on eggshells. Most new hires are looking for other work within 3 months. The expectations for goals are unattainable and unrealistic for even the most professional and dedicated. No staff member has ever reached the agency expectations. The agency cares more about their numbers than they do their clients. I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND THIS AGENCY TO EVEN MY WORST ENEMY. I couldn't get out of there fast enough. – less

May 21, 2013

Which agency did you work for?

GREAT ENVIRONMENT, FUN
Bus Driver (Former Employee), Goose Creek, SCJanuary 24, 2013
Pros: praised for good job
Cons: no heathcare
GREAT MANAGEMENT STYLE; GOOD COMMUNICATION; TEACHING AND TRAINING OPPORTUNITIES WERE GREAT;
Enjoyed working here, however, pay was abysmal.
Illustrator (Former Employee), West Columbia, SCOctober 10, 2012
Pros: excellent working conditions, co-workers were great, ample time off.
Cons: pay scale with the state was almost insulting
Employed as Graphic Artist / Illustrator for the Production Center at the Central Office of Technical Education. Duties here were well within my capabilities which included sign painting even though it wasn't part of the job description. My co-workers were all outstanding to work with. Everybody just got along so well. the hardest part of this job was – more... having no choice but to put up with really low pay. At the time my salary was only around $9000 / year. The best part was the leeway I was given to accomplish the assigned tasks. Duties usually were producing visual aids, display boards or paste-up for published articles which were sent to our printing facility.Terminated this job in favor of overseas opportunities. – less

October 22, 2012

Get trained, graduate then get a real paying job.

excellent boss
custodian (Former Employee), myrtle beach sc 29579October 8, 2012
Pros: insurance
Cons: work time
my work area is a very healthy workplace because i am around great people
fun
Mail Director (Former Employee), columbia,south carolinaAugust 22, 2012
Pros: being my own boss, setting my own pace
Cons: no one to talk to
traveling around the state picking up mail, fun job, seeing just how fantastic of a memory I have.
Challenging with Room to Grow
Information Technology Manager (Former Employee), West Columbia, SCJuly 5, 2012
Pros: benefits package
Cons: monetary remuneration
The State of South Carolina provides an atmosphere where you can learn, grow, and advance.
Supportive, dedicated, great supervision, team and clients
RN-Behavioral Health/MHP (Former Employee), Saluda Co. Mental Health ClinicApril 19, 2012
Pros: 1-2 days a week, ; 6-8 hrs each, was 16 miles oneway from my house;, i really enjoyed my supervisor, peers and the clients
Cons: the pay
I averaged 8-12 outpt mentally ill clients daily; assessments, eval, medication monitoring and adjustment with Physician's concurrence. I learned clients are consistent with their treatment plan; if one is able to educate them at their level of understanding of the cause, effect and consequences. Management was highly supportive of me and I felt like – more... I was part of a well oiled team. The hardest part of the job was visitiing my clients in the detention center; evaluating them, and administering their overdue meds (which exasberated the situation requiring arrest. The most enjoyable part of my job were my clients visible getting better, complying with their medication regime and able to return to their maximum optimum wellness. – less