State of South Carolina Employee Reviews in United States

Cleaned bobbins/spools
Assembly Worker (Former Employee) –  Seneca, SCApril 26, 2016
This job was given to me for job training through Vocational Rehabilitation services.

We had breaks inbetween the beggining of the work day and lunch and another halfway between lunch and the end of the day.

The supervisors were very understanding and helpful when you didn't understand something.
Hands on training
WIC Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Moncks Corner, SCJanuary 13, 2016
This clinic is very laid back and easy to work for. I enjoyed the training process because it allowed traveling. It was nice being able to work with a very diverse population when it came to the clients.
Good 'ol boys
Withheld (Former Employee) –  CharlestonAugust 20, 2015
I observed that supervisors knew each other for years and that the bullying and intimidation starts at the top and goes down the ranks.

I did the job for two people because I quit from the stress and lack of materials and support.

Two people were hired to do my job.
Pros
Good benes and salary if you can stand the bullying and micromanagement.
Cons
I did my job plus more...Bullying from management. There should be a law against it.
Challenging
Classification and Compensation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCJuly 11, 2015
Co-workers are genuine and passionate about their jobs, the ability to provide employment for my community. Flexibility of work schedules and family friendly environment.
Long, grueling probation. Board of Nursing disrespectful, degrading work environment.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCFebruary 28, 2015
Board of Nursing is very busy, staff are not appreciated. Administrator is very self motivated and looks for every opportunity to get rid of staff.
High turnover!!! Be very careful as most do not make it through the 12 month probationary phase.
Run!!!!And as fast as you can!!!
Nutrition education specialist (Current Employee) –  PeeDeeDecember 23, 2014
Sucks!!!! Management makes up rules as they come. They are definitely interested in numbers and not the employee who has to try to complete the impossible. So many people are trying to get the he!! out of that place, so am I....taking the first thing smoking hunty!!!
Pros
my coworkers, love them!!
Cons
penny salary
avoid at all costs.
administrative assistant (Current Employee) –  rock hillSeptember 17, 2014
Simple. Wayyyyy overworked and underpaid. And they don't care about you if you have a death in your family or a sick child. They write you up for taking YOUR leave time. Look elsewhere.
It's who you know!!!
Admin specialist (Former Employee) –  Horry countyJuly 19, 2014
If you are not related to any one in the agency, you will NEVER be treated fairly! If you like chaos and immature adults with nothing else better to do than nitpick you to death about simple, petty stuff that has no merit, then this is the job for you!
Pros
the clients! if it were not for them...i would not have stayed as long as i did.
Cons
management sucks from the executives to the managers at the bottom! so clickish!
I hate it.
Human services specialist II (Current Employee) –  In a countyJune 19, 2014
I work with SCDSS CPS and APS and I absolutely dislike what I do. It's stressful and I feel like my life is always in danger when making home visits! The amount of work is ridiculous. Everything you do is NEVER enough. Long hours, staffings, it's too much. I'm outta here on the first thing smoking. In addition the salary is laughable for everything you are required to do. This just was only good for experience to work with families.
Pros
my coworkers make it worthwhile
Cons
salary, stress, home visits/work environment
Beginning of my career
Help Desk Analyst, (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJune 17, 2014
worked with Dept of Health and Human Services to update computers and printers. Worked with great people that cared about others
Productive and busy place to work
Grounds Mainteance (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, SCJune 16, 2014
I work with some good people and learned some things in the process.
Tough job
Human Services Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Berkeley County South CarolinaMarch 12, 2014
This job was very emotionally exhausting but worth the hard times to see the good things that come from the work. I would not recommend it for a single parent or someone who is not willing to give up their family time on the weekends or evenings since they require on call shifts.
Pros
decent health benefits
Cons
the salary is not comparable to the level of work and safety risks that can come with the job.
Hardworking group
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Conway, SCMarch 2, 2014
Hardworking office , not enough FT positions. Never felt secure in job.
Processing applications for severe emotional children seeking our services.
Intake Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCFebruary 16, 2014
Processing Applications from the 14 counties in the upstate of SC.
Document Service notes for time and activity for each applicant.
Pros
good benefits, hours
Cons
stressful job dealing with families of severe emotional children
Worst place I've ever worked.
Administrative Assistant Office of General Counsel (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCFebruary 6, 2014
Over worked and under paid! Only one in the office to work for 4 attorneys and expected to do administrative coordinator's job as well as my own. Administrative Coordinator never worked a full week the whole time I worked there.
Cons
everything
Arrogance In Bushels
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Mt PleasantNovember 26, 2013
Witnessing what the likes of ReadySC provided the employees of Boeing, arrogant and knowledge-less leadership was THE name of the game! Out of all these instructors, MAYBE ONE qualified for the task at hand. The rest were nothing more than military folks who knew nothing but "a" singular task and then...they try to pass themselves off as qualified instructors. The big cheese in charge...had his position for the fact that...he was nothing more than a minority and offered up nothing more then an overdose of arrogance. I was elated when a LICENSED aircraft mechsnic and new hire at Boeing as a Flight Readiness Technician got into a confrontation with my so-called boss, told my biss to shove it were the sun doesn't shine....QUIT...and NOW the same individual is an FAA inspector!

You don't wanna work fir SC folks. They cater simply to the likes of affirmative action regardless of qualifications!
Pros
watching stupidly personified...very entertaining
Cons
see my review
Production
Floor Technician, Custodian (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJune 5, 2013
Typical day:
Arrive to work, complete work as instructed
What I learned:
Various skills
Management:
Implemented policy and procedure
Co-workers:
Team players
Hardest part of job:
Long hard hours and below minimum wages:
Most enjoyable:
Productive and enhancement of work skills
Pros
learning multiple skills
Cons
wages and hours
Horrible place to work!
Child Care Licensing Regulatory Specialist (Former Employee) –  Office located in Florence, SCMay 21, 2013
Worked for Child Care Licensing. Was a dead-end, low- pay job. Upper management did not care about workers, only interested in meeting goals and numbers. Supervisor was horrible- bad mood swings. Being a temporary grant employee, there are no grievances so you could be terminated at any given time- without reason- even if it is as simple as you and immediate supervisor did not get along. Horrible place to work. I'm so glad I'm out of there, should have left sooner. Very clique-ish.

Job duties are not as stated on vacancy notice is inaccurate. The expectations are astronomical and very unattainable. Little to no training. Low- pay for the dangers encountered such as- entering people's homes with/without law enforcement, there is a LOT of travel in subpar State vehicles. The vehicles provided are in very bad shape and there is no interest in management/ supervisor in upgrading within the fleet as long as they get to drive the newer cars.

Immediate supervisor encourage clique-ish behaviors and engage in gossip among co-workers. There is not a system of checks and balances within the agency. There are a lot of unfair, unjust, and bad mangement practices that goes unchecked to clients and workers.

I would not recommend this job to anyone! Maybe another region (County) but definately not the Florence office.
Pros
it is a state job
Cons
everything! temporary grant, no grievances, no compassion for workers
Horrible agency to work for
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Conway, SCApril 6, 2013
This was the worst agency i have worked for during my professional career. Management is run by sorority sisters who have each others backs but not yours. There was absolutely no support from immediate supervisor, she had incredibly negative mood swings. She would berate staff in front of others. She would come in and not even say good morning to anyone....no exaggeration. Very hostile work environment. Everyone always felt like they had to walk on eggshells. Most new hires are looking for other work within 3 months. The expectations for goals are unattainable and unrealistic for even the most professional and dedicated. No staff member has ever reached the agency expectations. The agency cares more about their numbers than they do their clients. I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND THIS AGENCY TO EVEN MY WORST ENEMY. I couldn't get out of there fast enough.
Pros
made great friends
Cons
management staff, micro-managed, expectations.

Comment – May 21, 2013

Which agency did you work for?

Great environment, fun
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Goose Creek, SCJanuary 24, 2013
Great management style; good communication; teaching and training opportunities were great;
Pros
praised for good job
Cons
no heathcare

Ask a question about working or interviewing at State of South Carolina. Our community is ready to answer.