State of Tennessee Employee Reviews

great place to work
TMC Operator (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 25, 2017
They will teach you everything you need. They always want you to improve yourself. everyone got along with each other. They try to keep it like an Family
Review
Eligibility Counselor II (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 23, 2017
high stressed work place where anything can be placed on your lap. Budge cuts affects raise. May skip years in getting raise do to budget cuts or government shut down
Great job in an excellent State
BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 23, 2017
Best way to apply things learned in former jobs. Great way to experience many different companies and stakeholders. Extremely good management from the Governor down to my direct supervisor
Pros
Healthy State, Great Economic Development Climate
Good place to work.
Plans Reviewer (Current Employee) –  Donelson, TNSeptember 22, 2017
I like my job, the traffic is my issue. I live only 20 miles from work it takes me an hour to get to work.

I work in Donelson. It is a good place to work. My boss is great.
Pros
great place to work, friendly co-workers
Cons
traffic is horrible
Very productuve job. Lots of work.
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNSeptember 20, 2017
I enjoyed working for the State of Tennessee. I worked with a lot of helpful people. I worked for Department of Children's Service in Memphis Tennessee. We had a lot of work on a daily basis. I worked with a lot of nice people.
Failures get rewarded. If you are good at your job, management will either work you to death and reward someone else who is not so great at their job.
Middleware Application Support/ System Programmer (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 20, 2017
Filled with power hungry, cut throat, micro managing bureaucrats at the lower and upper level management who likes to rewards failures. Good for few years for fresh graduates trying to learn their trade.
Good place to work.
Correction Officer I (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 20, 2017
Overall good place to work .The people or nice, friendly. The State of Tennessee have good benefits. The people that living in the State of Tennessee have good work Balance.
Being my own boss was awesome.
Childcare Provider (Former Employee) –  Jackson, TNSeptember 19, 2017
My day would start about 7:30 pm because the mother worked 3rd shift and I would feed all five children a dinner and a snack and then at 9pm it was bedtime. The children could watch television or play games which was supervised until bedtime. I would awake the children with breakfast and help dress them for school before being picked up at 630am.
Pros
Being my own boss and working from home.
Cons
Not being able to leave home after they arrived because the were all small children.
State Employment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 11, 2017
I enjoyed my time working for the State. I did not like the drive which is why I chose to work from home. State government allows for security, benefits and tuition reimbursement.
Pros
Stability
Cons
Distance
How my day starts out
Case Management Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  TennesseeSeptember 10, 2017
A overall day may consist of clocking in go to workstation and start looking at what you have scheduled for that day with a cup of coffee in your hand. You want to make sure to review your schedule daily to prevent any oversight of missing a annual meeting.This meeting must occur to prevent the person from loosing his/her services. We use this schedule as our guide to inform us when to contact the agencies or families regarding all upcoming annual update. As a case manager/social worker, I work with adults with a disability. So I have to ensure I am providing the the families with the best care and services possible to ensure they have the best life. I have learned to do my best to help the families as much as I can that is within my scope. Our workplace can be somewhat stressful with all of the people who are on our caseload and with management demands and changes that occurs within the state. The hardest part of the job is the lack of communication. However, I enjoy the relationship I have with my families and the trust they have in me.
Pros
1 hour lunch breaks
Cons
Not the place it used to be
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNSeptember 10, 2017
Working for the state is not what it used to be. Long-term employees are not valued. If you've been employed longer than 5 years, you are treated poorly. No matter how proficient and talented you are at your job, you are made to feel as a means to someone else's (usually upper management's) end.
Pros
flexible hours, tuition voucher
Cons
the parking, pay for performance
Political
Facilities Administrator III (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 10, 2017
Many positions are executive appointee positions which often expire with change of political environment.

A general refusal of old long time system to open to professional business practices and transition to 21st century.
Cons
complacency of long term civil workers
easy going
Intern (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 10, 2017
a job that worked at my own pace but still taught me new things and introduced me to people and places that may be helpful in my future career. I was only and intern, though, and so did not get a full taste.
only there for a while
Developmental Technician (Former Employee) –  Nashville-Davidson, TNSeptember 8, 2017
Had enjoyed the clients/consumer that were in my care. enjoyed the time I spent with them caring for their needs and wants. will recommend this position.
This was a great experience
Families First Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Dresden, TNSeptember 7, 2017
The was a great work experience for me. I learned several new skills and enjoyed helping people. This was only a one year contract position that was offered to me to help single Mom's get started again.
Pros
Free Lunches, paid state holidays
Cons
Only a one year contract
Overall view of my current workplace.
Programmer Analyst (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 6, 2017
I have been in the current role for almost five years, my colleagues, as well as the managers and support staff, are great to work with, I highly commend each team member for what they do day in and day out to ensure that the eligible population of Tennessee receive the benefits they qualify for.
Pros
Wellness breaks
Cons
None yet
decent work environment
Public Health Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Elizabethton, TNSeptember 4, 2017
decent work environment but poor management. conditions are good but the pay is low for the amount of work you do. you get lots of paid holidays off. Too many changes in benefits.
I had a great job and was on salary, and my transcripts.
Criminal Cout Reporter (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 1, 2017
I loved my job. It was something different all the time. My Judge was good to work for. We had a thing where I could look up and he would ask the Defendant to spell his name. He made my job twice as easy by running a smooth courtroom. I was employed from 1979 to 2000.
I would be retired in 2.5 years with full retirement.
Pros
Interesting.
Cons
I was called on the anwersing machine and told I no longer had a job.
State Employment - A Safe Option if you can tolerate management
Data Analyst/Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 31, 2017
Most of my co-workers were "comfortable" in their role. They had worked for the government for many years and expected to retire from their current position at some future date. They weren't paid very well, but they had great benefits and worked 37.5 hours each week. They could easily balance their work and family life and didn't seem stressed out.

Management has obviously been appointed by whichever governor came into power based on who backs their campaign. Democrat in office = replace everyone at the commissioner level with democrats. Republican comes to power? Yep, fire all the "appointed by the governor" roles and hire all new republicans who assisted the governor in coming to power. Obviously, this leads to HORRIBLE issues of every imaginable kind.
Pros
Balance with family life, No overtime
Cons
Political changes not based on merit
good place to work if you like the public
Eligibility Counselor / Client Representative (Former Employee) –  Dyersburg, TN 38024August 30, 2017
Its a good place to work if you have children, especially college age. They offer tuition discounts and other benefits. I had very good supervisors, which made work easier.