State of Utah Employee Reviews

Great Place to Settle
Ui Designer & Front-End Developer (Current Employee) –  North Salt Lake, UTJuly 6, 2017
Mostly here at the State, It's a lot of put your head down at your desk and get to work. There isn't a lot of personal interaction, and that is what i am looking for.
Pros
It's a state job
Cons
It's a state job
Great experience, great peolpe to work for and witj
Support Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 11, 2017
One of the best places i have worked in my career. Excellent atmosphere, travel around the state to other offices, Helping customers and fullfilling there needs.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
N/a
Administrative Assistant to about 14 program managers
Liaison (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 5, 2017
This is a fast paced job with a lot of responsibility. You work with a lot of people throughout the State of Utah. There was a lot of Trainings and conferences.
Pros
Alot of various type of assignments
Cons
There was not enough administrators to help out with all the needed to be done
dental assistant and office manager (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTApril 27, 2017
The State Of Utah Family Dental Plan is a great place to work, i loved working there and i would recommend Family Dental Plan. It is a very good place to go for medicaid patients.
Depends on which agency you work for
Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTApril 18, 2017
Overall, the state provides a stable workplace. There are limitations to advancement and most agencies don't offer merit-based raises. You are limited to what the governor/legislature decides is a fair cost of living increase. Usually that's 2% at a maximum. Some agencies offer tuition reimbursement. Mine does not. Health insurance is affordable and okay. I have an HSA which the state contributes to. I also have a pension and 401k with the state, so that is nice.
Pros
Decent benefits, good stability
Cons
Lack of flexibility with promoting good employees, lack of incentives for hard work, differentiation in perks between agencies
Great benefits with not so great pay.
Unemployment Claims Specialist (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTApril 18, 2017
I love to work for DWS. My supervisors are extremely flexible, they love to help, there are a lot of career advancement opportunities available. The job can be really stressful sometimes but at the end of the day you're done and you don't have to worry about that same claim that stressed you out.
Pros
Benefits, flexibility, free uta passes, tuition reimbursement.
Cons
Claimants who feel entitled and don't understand the program is not needs based.
Great Leaders and management
Executive Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMarch 22, 2017
Great place to work, with opportunities to grow! Work with like minded leaders who want to help the environment and achieve goals that make the state a better place to live!
Great benefits and awesome pay
Collection Agent (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMarch 12, 2017
Enjoyed my experience of being a Compliance Agent II for the State of Utah. Very challenging but also rewarding. Hardest part of the job was having so many cases to follow up on. It was also the most enjoyable when a difficult case was resolved.
Pros
Salary, Benefits, coworkers
Cons
Lack of appreciation for efforts
State of Utah
Program Specialist,/ Supervisor/Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMarch 8, 2017
I spent several years in State employment for the State of Utah and worked in several agencies. Some agencies were more flexible with schedules and time off. The most enjoyable part of the job was assisting clients with the different government programs.
Pros
training opportunities, flexible schedules
Cons
Some of the agencies within the state do not recognize seniority.
Consistent work
Account Tech II (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTFebruary 6, 2017
This position was not well represented through the job description of Account Tech II. It was a front desk position accepting child support payments from obligated parents. There was very little accounting involved just the daily cash balancing and deposit.
Typ[ical Caseworker
Caseworker I (Current Employee) –  Blanding, UTJanuary 16, 2017
THsi is a typical caseworker job. It is alot of crisis though. You generally have 10 or more cases and are trying to do best practice work. There is alot of paperwork and can be very stressful most the time. Most cases aren't happy with you or their situation. The co-workers here are great and really try to help you though and constantly are trying to support you.
Pros
comp time.
Cons
Lots of overtime and stress. Hard on family life.
Management concerns
Groundskeeper II (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTDecember 10, 2016
4- 10 hour days.
Winters are difficult with the shear number of steps and stairs to clear of snow. Advancement opportunities is slow and minimal. Summers are routine.
Great place to work. Assist customer that need urgent help.
Utah (Current Employee) –  UtahDecember 9, 2016
I started with state of Utah in February 2015. Working as eligibility socialist giving me great skills of customer service and social work. We have great programs that develops human resources and social supplemant.
Great benefits
Compliance Agent (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 16, 2016
Work and caseload was good, Advancement was a little difficult. Enjoyed the atmosphere and interaction with employees and clients. The pay was very good.
Pros
People, pay, interaction with clients
Cons
No advancement
Working with good people for not as good people
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Gunnison, UTOctober 3, 2016
Coworkers are excellent, but as you get higher in the chain of command, Supervisors become less available and avoid having to associate with 'lower downs'.
Pros
excellent benefits provided by the state
Cons
working conditions can be lacking
Working with troubled youth
Tech ll (Current Employee) –  Vernal, UTSeptember 25, 2016
Working with troubled youth is a serious but satisfying job. It can be fun but you really have to be on your toes and ready for anything.
Pros
Having a lot to offer youth that are struggling with issues
Cons
It can be a very trying job and at times very high stress
IT at State of Utah
IT Analyst II (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJuly 30, 2016
I'm hoping it varies, because the group I am currently in does not have a clue about software development best practices (even waterfall).

I am the only developer in my group who can actually design/code/test an application. Some of those who cannot code are assigned Project Manager positions, which they neither are trained for or understand.
Utah Occupational Safety and Health – Less than desirable management.
UOSH Compliance Officer (Former Employee) –  SLC, UTJune 27, 2016
After 10 minutes on my first day as a new UOSH Compliance Officer, I could feel the oppressive atmosphere generated by the UOSH Division Chief who was a former lawyer with no real world experience in OSHA compliance investigations and lacked management skills. After two days, I started looking for another job. Some issues encountered are, but not limited to, the following;
1. No state UOSH Field Operating Manual (FOM) as required by Federal OSHA. The FOM is how internal operations are to be conducted within the UOSH division. Federal OSHA inspected UOSH back in December 2015 and made this a high level finding. Only then did the UOSH Division Chief make it a priority.
2. No written training program for new Safety Compliance Officers, again, a requirement by Federal OSHA. Offered examples of other state OSHA training programs but was ignored.
3. Asked, on two separate occasions, for a written performance plan from my supervisors so I knew what expectations were of me. Never did receive one. One employee confessed he had not received a performance plan or appraisal in the last 3 years.
4. False accusations were made against me by a fellow employee and never given the opportunity to counter them with management. All other Compliance Officers were great to work with.
5. Micromanagement from the UOSH Division Chief, e-mailing employees directly about issues and not going through the employee’s immediate supervisor. Isn’t that what supervisors are paid to do, take care of employee issues?
6. UOSH Division Chief caught on several occasions viewing security cameras when certain
  more... female employees were walking through the wall ways.
7. Requirement to e-mail supervisor upon entering work with time of arrival and work plan for the day and again, e-mail supervisor at the end of the day with departure time and work completed.
8. Several internal changes were suggested, but ignored, that would benefit all with not more than an hours’ worth of effort.
9. UOSH Division Chief spent unknown tax dollars on an Excel spreadsheet to help the Office Manager track compliance fines. However, the Office Manager had to get someone to help him modify the spreadsheet format so that he could actually use it. When the Office Manager explained to the Division Chief that he could not use the spreadsheet. The reason given was, “You never included me in the design phase as the information input sequence is not the same as the process we use for fine collections.” This happened after I informed the Division Chief that he has an employee who is an Excel master in house and could be used to his advantage.
10. Each compliance inspection is treated the same for employee completion rates. However, management refused to take into consideration the magnitude of various inspections and adjust the completion rates accordingly. Federal OSHA does, why can’t UOSH?

The brightest and most motivated people soon realize that, regarding management, the Peter Principle is in full effect and soon leave public service for the private sector. It is my understanding that UOSH has had turn-over of 12 employees within the last 2 years.

The comments about Utah being a great state to work for are not true, at least in the UOSH Division.
Pros
They offer free Trax passes to employees.
Cons
People don't leave jobs, they leave managment.
life was all about the supervisors
Disability Specialist (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 23, 2016
I worked there for 10 years and was let go due to poor management and the poor decisions that could have been avoided is only they had listened to advice.
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
not a family
A job with great earning potential
AREA MANAGER UTAH FIRE EQUIPMENT (Current Employee) –  Orem, UTMay 6, 2016
This is a job that has a great earning potential. You are able to work with almost no supervision, which is a plus for some people. Also you are not required to punch a time clock, but generally you are paid on commission so if you are not being productive there will not be a paycheck.