State of Utah

State of Utah Employee Reviews

Very productive and fun work place, where you feel a cohesiveness among coworkers.
Group facilitator (Current Employee), Provo, Utah, but plan to relocate to FloridaApril 28, 2015
A typical day at Slate Canyon youth center is supervising and monitoring youth in short and long term detention. Teaching life skills, coping skills and participating in various activities.
I enjoy my co-workers and we work as a team. The hardest part of the job is seeing the youth with feelings of despair and hopelessness. I try very hard to empower every youth with whom I come in contact. The most enjoyable aspect of my job is seeing them succeed in the real world and giving them hope.
Job security is great. Lack of funding for resources for clients and families.
Case Manager/Parole Officer (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UtahFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: loss of funding for resources
People are great to work with. Due to the lack of funding for resources, the recidivism rate is much higher and clients are demonstrating less success. Caseloads are reasonable. Continual loss of programming. Stability is lacking due to continual changes. Some assignments are not applicable to this particular role.
Amazing people to work with.
Office Manager (Former Employee), West Jordan, UTFebruary 11, 2015
This was a really great place to work. The attorneys here care a lot about their clients and are there for the "cause" not the "compensation" as well as all of the support staff.
low pay/good benefits
General Service Tech II (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTOctober 27, 2014
If you are looking to make a lot of money this isn't the place. Although if you want good benefits than this is the place.
harasement with the state
maintance worker II (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 4, 2014
My lead worker abused me and would not help when I needed some help. Clean front area, clean back area, grounds up keep,polish floors,paint, repair, stock supplies. People set you up and you can not trust them They lie. leaving my child so early in the am., continuing to work with someone who didn't respect me and would not help when help was needed.Having a job with the state, standing up for the system.
Good benefits, poor pay/advancement opportunities
Qualified Intellectual Disability Professional (Current Employee), American Fork, UTAugust 11, 2014
Great job security, but almost impossible to move up, as there are employees with 20+ years experience, and they often promote based on seniority.
Great work environment
Unemployment Insurance Claims Specialist (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTJune 3, 2014
Pros: great people to work with, management was supportive, pay was good
Cons: nothing
Hand selected to be a part of a review committee that troubleshoot, revamped, and implemented a system to improve accuracy and speed. Selected to be an Employment Counselor. Management was supportive.
Steady work place
Unemployment Insurance Compliance Specialist (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTMay 10, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: management
A typical day iis to show up do something then go home.
I learned about tax compliance with the unemployment insurance program.
The management lead with fear and the employees were afraid of retaliation.
My co-workers were awesome to work with they made the job fun and to show up each day.
Fast paced job with a lot to learn everyday
Social Service Worker/ Case Manager (Former Employee), Clearfield, UTApril 25, 2014
Pros: good people to work with
Cons: low pay
A typical day at work as a caseworker was usually meeting with clients in their homes, visiting children in their placements, preparing notes and/ or court reports or testifying in court.
What I learned from this position is that every one has their struggles as parents and every parent could benefit from education.
I thoroughly enjoyed my coworkers and supervisor, who I felt was easy going and very approachable.
The hardest part of this job was seeing parents lose their children, or have drug/ mental health issues that prevented them from effective parenting. The most enjoyable part was building relationships with my clients and being able to provide the avenues and assistance for them to improve their parenting skills.
I would think twice about working in the state of Utah ever again
JJS Counselor 2 (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTApril 22, 2014
Pros: flexible work hours
Cons: bad pay rate, terrible work conditions, terrible management, bad bennefits
The state of Utah is light years behind when it comes to the work environments of their employees. The pay rate in the state of Utah is terrible as a whole and the benefits have dwindled throughout the years. Fun was not encouraged and nether was making sure the mental state of the children we had to deal with were in good shape. The state cut corners every way they could. My co workers were all unhappy whether it was with management, the work conditions, or the fact they weren't making enough to survive on. The hardest part of the job was dealing with incompetent management from top to bottom. Also working with kids for seven months and then having them leave. You build a bond with the kids and then they have to leave so that made it somewhat tough as well. I learned a lot about how to treat people, how I want to be treated within the work place, as well as what it takes to have a good work environment.
Tax Resolution Specialist/Compliance Agent II (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UT.April 21, 2014
Pros: great work environment, good pay, excellent management staff
Cons: government cutbacks
I learned a lot of my collections skills from working for the State of Utah. Loved working with the public. Had excellent managers to train with and teach.
great work life balance
Human Resource Specialist (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTMarch 28, 2014
The best part of working at the state is the work life balance. It is a great place to work. You do work for the taxpayer so compensation isn't great but the benefits are amazing.
Great working with youth but he facilities never close and there is little room for advancement
Counselor II (Current Employee), OgdenMarch 24, 2014
Pros: somewhat flexible, sick leave and annual leave
Cons: tough to move up, one must work on christmas and other holidays
The day begins by waking up the residents and then facilitating a morning workout. Feeding the residents meals and supervising them during school. After school the youth have free time, activities are expected to be organized. Court reports are written and presented to the courts by advocates.
Its all good
Warehouse supervisor (Former Employee), Salt Lake City UtahFebruary 19, 2014
Its all good. I like the work. Most of the work was Top secret at the Air Guard. The warehouse job at U.D.O.T was a fun Job.
Great Team to work with.
Counseling Intern (Former Employee), West Valley CityJanuary 24, 2014
Pros: helpful team members.
Cons: some stress involved.
Set your own appointments to work with families assigned to you.
Adventure
Certified Peace Officer (Lieutenant) (Former Employee), Salt Lake CityJanuary 14, 2014
Pros: encountered new variables affecting job on a regular basis
Cons: some management members
A lot of the day involved using a computer to manage offenders, court hearings and general compliance status. Cooperation with many different professionals was necessary for a successful week.
Fast Paced, Interactive Job Placement
Employment Counselor/Eligibility Specialist (Current Employee), Spanish Fork, UTDecember 30, 2013
Pros: eight hour work days
Cons: n/a
Complete assessments on individuals applying for federal aid. Monitored weekly participation in the TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families) while helping customers become self supportive through employment. Frequent monitoring in school, training, on the job training, work experience and completion of high school diploma.
data entry
Data entry (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTDecember 26, 2013
Pros: 10 hour a day shift and pretty much your own start time
Data entry job and a fun place to work. The office staff are great people.
I love working at this place.
Technical Support Specialist II (Current Employee), Provo, UTDecember 1, 2013
Pros: exceptional benefits
Cons: red tape, politics
This job has been fantastic.
My manager has been exceptional.
My team has been hardworking and effective
Tough place to work if coming in from private sector
Medicaid - Assistant Finance Bureau Director (Former Employee), Salt Lake CityNovember 26, 2013
Pros: security once you complete your super long probationary period
Cons: unfriendly, unorganized and un motivational
State jobs are where the people in your college class who sat in the back and wouldn't ask questions went to work. These are the people who are not risk takers and have little if any interest in ever moving up the ladder as they just want to go to work and do their time and earn a pension. If you are not this type of person - I am not - then look elsewhere unless you are ok with dismal unregular pay increases of 1% or less, corruption, and lots and lots of political battles..............