State of Vermont Employee Reviews in United States

Not great but the pay is good
Financial Specialist II (Current Employee) –  MontpelierAugust 3, 2015
Working in Montpelier is TERRIBLE !!!!!!!!! We are stuffed together, no room to work, so loud you can't concentrate on anything.
Frustrating
Corrections officer (Former Employee) –  Waterbury, VTApril 4, 2015
I left due to the environment being frustrating. I was a correctional officer yet all I seemed to do was paperwork and babysit. There was little to no advancement since I did not do what the most popular supervisor wanted me to do. Had I not done this job, I would not be where I am today.
Tax Auditor
Tax Auditor I (Former Employee) –  Montpelier, VTJanuary 4, 2015
The position was excellent. I just did not have the drive time to get my three children safely to school and then to work especially when the winter weather set in. Hoping to secure another position closer to home.
benefits
Cons
time constraints
Great work environment
Assistant Court Clerk (Former Employee) –  Orange, VTOctober 8, 2014
A typical day would be helping clients file motions or help prepare their filings. I learned a lot about the Judicial System by working in the Family/District Court in Orange County. The Management was very easy to talk to and listed to our concerns. The hardest part was not being able to do more to help the clients. The most enjoyable part was trying to make the frightening experience of going to Court a little easier for the clients.
Pros
great schedule, great benefits
Cons
too far away when i moved.
Busy productive long hard days, knowing you have made a difference
Benefit Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Rutland, VTJuly 30, 2014
Never know what your day will be each day of the week. Enjoy working with the people, we all count on each other to be able to help each individual. Hardest part is when you are not able to help them and seeing the disappointment in there face.
Most enjoyable is when they are relieved we are able to help them.
Pros
none already completed this
Just a summer job
Vt. Secretary of State (Former Employee) –  Montpelier, VTJuly 13, 2014
I loved my summer job, It was a great job experience. The staff was great to work with. The manager was very helpful and clear on her instruction.
Pros
great hours
Cons
i wish it lasted longer
Dedicated coworkers, very supportive
Legal Intern (Former Employee) –  Montpelier, VTJuly 11, 2014
In my brief time at VT state, I felt supported and respected by coworkers and supervisors.
Pros
pleasant environment
Cons
low pay
ESD Supervisor
Economic Services Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Essex VermontJuly 11, 2014
Supervisor staff. Putting out fires on cases. Training new staff on new computer programs. Develop traning materials.
Pros
overtime
Cons
no family life
Not the best place to work
Program Technician II (Current Employee) –  Williston, VTJune 6, 2014
This was not what I thought a law office environment was going to be like. This was a very dysfunctional office and while I'm grateful for the expereince I am glad that I moved on.
great place to work
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Montpelier, VTJune 4, 2014
for the most part the State of Vermont is a great place to work with great benefits and pay. Chances of advancement are great also
Pros
great benefits
Cons
sometimes to political
typical state government
Maintenance Mechanic II Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTMarch 8, 2014
co workers were the best part of this job and working with private companies
Lots of travel
Drillers assistant (Former Employee) –  Intire stateFebruary 19, 2014
Staffing was a issue, Not alot of people like this kind of work. Training included. Transportation included. Hardest part was the situations that needed information and study. All places we drilled were unfortunatly a failure in road, bridge or surounding land. Co-workers were talented and motivated. This made the job easyer
Pros
health insurance, job security
Cons
one crew for 2 years put a strain on staff
Decent work Environment
Overnight Desk watch / Database Administrator (Former Employee) –  Essex, VTFebruary 12, 2014
Great people to work with in a very supportive setting. I was able to pick up some extra work that I personally showed an interest in without being asked. Co-workers were very friendly and supportive. Management was there whenever there were any issues. There were no "typical" days.
Probation and Parole Intern
Case Assistant Intern (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTDecember 3, 2013
This internship was a wealth of knowledge for me to learn regarding our probation system.
A Great Place to Work
Training Specialist (Current Employee) –  Montpelier, VTSeptember 12, 2013
I love working for the State of Vermont! If my husband and I weren't moving out of state, I'd never leave - I'd definitely retire from here!
secure place to work with good benefits
Area supervisor (Former Employee) –  Rockingham, VTOctober 27, 2012
I would assign and plan jobs, I would contact Digsafe if we where moving dirt along the roadway, contact utilities power company,phone company,cable company if we were working near there lines. I would meet with private contractors that were working for the state or within the state right of way.I often working with police, fire, and rescue with accident scenes or emergencies.
I learned how to deal with different personalities and departments and to take their work rules into cosideration when working with them.
I managed nine drivers and operators and help to teach them to operate different pieces of equipment such as sanding units, loaders, excavators, and specialized equipment.
The hardest part of the job was to keep everyone on the same direction when the different personalities wanted to keep them from working as a team.
The most enjoyable part of my job was keeping everyone working together and having the crew see how much they could accomplish as a team and the pride they had in their work.
Pros
good benifits, job security
Cons
long hours, being on call all the time, lack of sleep
Productive busy environment
Special Education Finance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Barre, VTAugust 12, 2012
All the work is done behind a computer, which creates lack of blood flow, although the management was great, bearing immense knowledge and willingness to teach. The enviroment outside each department lacked personality.
Pros
knowledgable and learning environment
Cons
not much interpersonal activity
great group of people to work with
Customer service employee (Former Employee) –  Waterbury, VTJune 15, 2012
I liked working for the state of vermont so much I almost didn't want to leave. the people were welcoming and caring. they liked what they did and excelled at it.
Pros
open heartedness, kind and simple
Cons
not a lot of money
Interesting job duties; safe workplaces; teaching was great fun
Office clerical, Teacher of Native American Drum (Former Employee) –  Montpelier, VT; Barre, VTMarch 16, 2012
Working for the State of Vermont was able to utilize analytical skills and the pay and benefits were good. Teaching Native American songs and drum, along with general culture, was satisfying all the way around, even thought the pay wasn't that much.
Pros
state of vermont good pay and benefits, teaching job was self fulfilling
Cons
normal office cons, teaching the drum also meant carrying it
I worked with many students on many levels
Nominated for Best Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTDecember 20, 2015
It was an interesting position that improved my teaching skills.
Pros
Personal development
Cons
NONE