State of Vermont

State of Vermont Employer Reviews

Dedicated coworkers, very supportive
Legal Intern (Former Employee), Montpelier, VTJuly 11, 2014
Pros: pleasant environment
Cons: low pay
In my brief time at VT state, I felt supported and respected by coworkers and supervisors.
ESD Supervisor
Economic Services Supervisor (Current Employee), Essex VermontJuly 11, 2014
Pros: overtime
Cons: no family life
Supervisor staff. Putting out fires on cases. Training new staff on new computer programs. Develop traning materials.
Not the best place to work
Program Technician II (Current Employee), Williston, VTJune 6, 2014
This was not what I thought a law office environment was going to be like. This was a very dysfunctional office and while I'm grateful for the expereince I am glad that I moved on.
great place to work
Stock Clerk (Former Employee), Montpelier, VTJune 4, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: sometimes to political
for the most part the State of Vermont is a great place to work with great benefits and pay. Chances of advancement are great also
typical state government
Maintenance Mechanic II Supervisor (Former Employee), Burlington, VTMarch 8, 2014
co workers were the best part of this job and working with private companies
Lots of travel
Drillers assistant (Former Employee), Intire stateFebruary 19, 2014
Pros: health insurance, job security
Cons: one crew for 2 years put a strain on staff
Staffing was a issue, Not alot of people like this kind of work. Training included. Transportation included. Hardest part was the situations that needed information and study. All places we drilled were unfortunatly a failure in road, bridge or surounding land. Co-workers were talented and motivated. This made the job easyer
Lots of travel
Drillers assistant (Former Employee), Intire stateFebruary 19, 2014
Pros: health insurance, job security
Cons: one crew for 2 years put a strain on staff
Decent work Environment
Overnight Desk watch / Database Administrator (Former Employee), Essex, VTFebruary 12, 2014
Great people to work with in a very supportive setting. I was able to pick up some extra work that I personally showed an interest in without being asked. Co-workers were very friendly and supportive. Management was there whenever there were any issues. There were no "typical" days.
Probation and Parole Intern
Case Assistant Intern (Former Employee), Burlington, VTDecember 3, 2013
This internship was a wealth of knowledge for me to learn regarding our probation system.
A Great Place to Work
Training Specialist (Current Employee), Montpelier, VTSeptember 12, 2013
I love working for the State of Vermont! If my husband and I weren't moving out of state, I'd never leave - I'd definitely retire from here!
secure place to work with good benefits
Area supervisor (Former Employee), Rockingham, VTOctober 27, 2012
Pros: good benifits, job security
Cons: long hours, being on call all the time, lack of sleep
I would assign and plan jobs, I would contact Digsafe if we where moving dirt along the roadway, contact utilities power company,phone company,cable company if we were working near there lines. I would meet with private contractors that were working for the state or within the state right of way.I often working with police, fire, and rescue with accident – more... scenes or emergencies.
I learned how to deal with different personalities and departments and to take their work rules into cosideration when working with them.
I managed nine drivers and operators and help to teach them to operate different pieces of equipment such as sanding units, loaders, excavators, and specialized equipment.
The hardest part of the job was to keep everyone on the same direction when the different personalities wanted to keep them from working as a team.
The most enjoyable part of my job was keeping everyone working together and having the crew see how much they could accomplish as a team and the pride they had in their work. – less
Productive busy environment
Special Education Finance Analyst (Former Employee), Barre, VTAugust 12, 2012
Pros: knowledgable and learning environment
Cons: not much interpersonal activity
All the work is done behind a computer, which creates lack of blood flow, although the management was great, bearing immense knowledge and willingness to teach. The enviroment outside each department lacked personality.
great group of people to work with
Customer service employee (Former Employee), Waterbury, VTJune 15, 2012
Pros: open heartedness, kind and simple
Cons: not a lot of money
I liked working for the state of vermont so much I almost didn't want to leave. the people were welcoming and caring. they liked what they did and excelled at it.
Interesting job duties; safe workplaces; teaching was great fun
Office clerical, Teacher of Native American Drum (Former Employee), Montpelier, VT; Barre, VTMarch 16, 2012
Pros: state of vermont good pay and benefits, teaching job was self fulfilling
Cons: normal office cons, teaching the drum also meant carrying it
Working for the State of Vermont was able to utilize analytical skills and the pay and benefits were good. Teaching Native American songs and drum, along with general culture, was satisfying all the way around, even thought the pay wasn't that much.