State of Vermont Employee Reviews

Good workplace
Part-time Program Services Clerk (Former Employee) –  Saint Albans, VTMarch 6, 2017
It is indeed a very good workplace unless you are holding a temporary job (which was my case), just make sure you do not think it is permanent temporary as your job can be eliminated in a heartbeat by the government. In such a situation, no help is provided by the employer (in this case the State of Vermont) to relocate or to help find another job to the employee whose job just got eliminated.
State Worker
REACH UP CASE MANAGER II (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VT 05156March 5, 2017
State Employee requires full time hours with overtime per the specific job. Workplace can be anything from professional low stress to trained professional with very high stress.
Great place to learn all about the trade
Bridge Aid II (Former Employee) –  Middlesex, VTFebruary 15, 2017
The amount of lighting technique I received through working one on one with the staff of the Opera House as well as the traveling professionals using the stage to perform was astounding.
Pros
Free performance tickets for yourself (your working)
Cons
Long hours some days
Open office, open discussion
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Montpelier, VTJanuary 19, 2017
No need to think about work after you leave and you probably won't want to. Management is hit or miss. It all comes down to believing in the work you're doing, whether you'll enjoy your time as a state employee.
Challenging and rewarding position
Mental Health Specialist (Former Employee) –  Middlesex, VermontDecember 22, 2016
I enjoyed the team atmosphere working in the health care field with the State of Vermont.

A typical day was to be assigned certain residents' to work with. Following their treatment plan to enhance their skills, goals and promote independent thinking.

Distribute medications to residents'.

Report all physical concerns and emotional distress to the Charge Nurse.

Participate in group therapy discussions.

Building professional relations with all residents' and their families.
Pros
Enjoyed the challenge of this position.
Cons
At times it can be very stressful when a resident is in crisis.
worked in my own home.
Home Health Care Provider (Former Employee) –  90 Sargent Drive ( in my home) Johnson VermontNovember 15, 2016
I took care of an Elderly Lady and loved my job. we spent a lot of time together. I cooked cleaned and bathed her, dressed her. She was in a wheelchair chair.It was hard work, but she was with every minute I dedicate to her....
Very good
Correctional Officer I (Former Employee) –  Swanton, VTOctober 31, 2016
My favorite part about this position was getting to spend time with residents in their homes and being welcomed into their families like i was one of their own!
State of Vermont
State of Vermont (Current Employee) –  Montpelier, VTSeptember 21, 2016
Working for the state is fine, you will learn a lot on your own, must be self motivated, and get little guidance from management. not very flexible with time off or coming in early to leave earlier.
Victim Advocate (PT) (Former Employee) –  Brattleboro, VTSeptember 19, 2016
This was one of the best experiences in all of my career. Everyone was compassionate, funny and considerate and no occasion was not a good occasion for food!
Great organization
Chief (Former Employee) –  Waterbury, VTSeptember 18, 2016
I do not currently work for the Agency of Transportation, but have interacted with VTRANS staff on many occasions. I have always found them to perform their diversified array of responsibilities in a very professional and concise manner.
Field Compliance Officer (Former Employee) –  Montpelier, VTAugust 21, 2016
This job was the best job of my career back in 2000 when I held position. Typical day 8 to 5 and travel included. Keep up with cost of living and raises yearly not to cap.
Pros
Good benefits, compensation, advancement
Cons
drive - unless field office locations
disorganized and lack of team culture
Programmer Analyst, System Developer III (Current Employee) –  Williston, VTAugust 17, 2016
VDOL - No structured project management. co-worker conversations are discouraged. These people have a job to do and are too busy to be disturbed.
DAIL - All projects are funneled through one person.
AHS - Team oriented, Projects are known an managed.
Pros
Good insurance, good benefits, job security.
Cons
low pay for the skills required in IT, little inscentive to do a better job.
Good team
Senior Siebel Developer (Current Employee) –  Winooski, VTJuly 22, 2016
Good team to work with at winooski ,Vermont. This project is good and there is work/life balance. I got to learn new things.
Exciting position in Risk Management Operations
Director of Risk Management (Current Employee) –  Montpelier, VTJuly 7, 2016
Managerial, administrative, and operational leadership of the self-insured Risk Management division which consists of Workers' Compensation, General and Automobile Liability and Workplace Safety. Manage all vendors associated with providing services. Project sponsor for major upgrade and enhancement to risk management information system. Supervise a professional and administrative staff of fourteen employees.
Professional and fun place to work
Tax Examiner (Former Employee) –  Montpelier, VTJanuary 19, 2016
The management and employees are great to work with. Excellent on-the-job training, fun environment, all around a great employer.
Pros
Easy to work there and have a home life too
Cons
Pay isn't great, but that's Vermont
Not great but the pay is good
Financial Specialist II (Current Employee) –  MontpelierAugust 3, 2015
Working in Montpelier is TERRIBLE !!!!!!!!! We are stuffed together, no room to work, so loud you can't concentrate on anything.
Frustrating
Corrections officer (Former Employee) –  Waterbury, VTApril 4, 2015
I left due to the environment being frustrating. I was a correctional officer yet all I seemed to do was paperwork and babysit. There was little to no advancement since I did not do what the most popular supervisor wanted me to do. Had I not done this job, I would not be where I am today.
Tax Auditor
Tax Auditor I (Former Employee) –  Montpelier, VTJanuary 4, 2015
The position was excellent. I just did not have the drive time to get my three children safely to school and then to work especially when the winter weather set in. Hoping to secure another position closer to home.
benefits
Cons
time constraints
Great work environment
Assistant Court Clerk (Former Employee) –  Orange, VTOctober 8, 2014
A typical day would be helping clients file motions or help prepare their filings. I learned a lot about the Judicial System by working in the Family/District Court in Orange County. The Management was very easy to talk to and listed to our concerns. The hardest part was not being able to do more to help the clients. The most enjoyable part was trying to make the frightening experience of going to Court a little easier for the clients.
Pros
Great schedule, great benefits
Cons
Too far away when I moved.
Busy productive long hard days, knowing you have made a difference
Benefit Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Rutland, VTJuly 30, 2014
Never know what your day will be each day of the week. Enjoy working with the people, we all count on each other to be able to help each individual. Hardest part is when you are not able to help them and seeing the disappointment in there face.
Most enjoyable is when they are relieved we are able to help them.
Pros
none already completed this
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at State of Vermont. Our community is ready to answer.