State of Washington Employee Reviews in United States

Productive enjoyable place to work.
Medical Assistant Specialist (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WADecember 30, 2015
A normal day in my position at Health Care Authority was spent from beginning to end on a toll free phone line assisting Medicaid clients and contracted health care providers. I learned to speak at a pace where I could be easily understood to eliminate repetitive statements. I also developed good listening skills taking notes of customers requests/concerns as to prioritize the resolution. Time management was imperative due to our call volume and multi-tasking favorable due to accessing multiple systems concurrently. Call documentation was also required. I worked in a large office with many phone representatives, lead workers, trainers and supervisors. The most difficult part of the job was to document as exact as all others to keep consistency. I found all parts of the job enjoyable, there was never a dull moment.
Pros
scheduled hours, breaks and lunch. inside controlled atmosphere.
Dshs hcs
Social Services Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Bremerton, WAMay 4, 2016
Heads up my fellow social workers:
There is Bullying and Intimidation by the supervisor working in the above location. She feels the need to condescend, criticize, and threaten to feel power and good about herself. She'll take passive aggressive jabs whenever she can and will cut your self esteem down, exerting power and control, usually when others aren't around. Simply exhausting. Worked for 5 months on probation, let go with no explanation. When you feel like you're constantly walking on eggshells around this woman, trust that instinct, tolerating aggression in the workplace is not worth it.
Pros
Great coworkers, ability to leave the office for fieldwork, good location
Cons
Bullying and intimidation by supervisor, fear-based leadership
Relaxed work environment with limited interaction with the general public
Disability Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  Tumwater, WAJuly 6, 2016
This work environment was very friendly and positive. A typical day at work might entail working and determining an average of 3 to 5 disability claims per day, 20 or so follow up calls, writing 3 to 5 disability evaluations and reviewing and documenting medical and subjective evidence; consulting with medical staff, and taking required breaks
Pros
holiday celebrations
Cons
high caseloads and desk coverage
Enjoyed helping that one person in need
Admin Support/Financial Service Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAApril 30, 2016
A typical day at work was interviewing clients, reviewing their needs and determine their eligibility. Documenting everything during the course of the day. Management was okay. Enjoyed working with my co-workers. the hardest part of the job was denying that one person in need because they were one dollar over the income limit.
benefits
Cons
how unfair to deny those people who really needed support
Worked for several years for the state of Washington - working with several agencies
Administrative Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAJune 8, 2016
Having worked in different agencies for the state of Washington, including the Governor's office, I gained a good working knowledge of the many services that are needed for a state and it citizens to thrive and prosper. I worked with great people at each agency and cannot put a value on what I learned or those relationships.
My Summary
Childcare Provider (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAMay 24, 2016
Good place to work for easy money, but if you want a job where you need to easily get ahold of someone then this isnt the place where you wanna apply. It is often difficult to find out information and get in touch with who is in charge,
Pros
good pay
Cons
Hard to contact management
First real job
Assistant Director, Community Services (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAMay 11, 2016
I worked in the Office of Conservation and Renewable energy. It was a bloated bureaucracy and a lot of waste. Received a national award from US DOE for my work.
Pros
Got to visit 102 public utilities promoting conservation
Cons
uninspirinig workforce
Productive and Repetitive
Maintenance Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAJuly 22, 2016
A typical day at work involves cleaning the restroom, watering the plants, using a leaf blower to blow out the complex, pik-sticking, mowing the fields.
Pros
Decent pay, No Micromanaging
Cons
Seasonal, coworkers weren't the nicest
Good Place to Work
Data Quality Team - Senior PL/SQL Developer (Former Employee) –  Camp Hill, PAJune 15, 2016
PL/SQL developer and junior Database administrator. Good coworkers. Had a lot of work for a few months and even worked on weekends to manage the responsibilities.
Working for the government, at a state level was a great experience
Tax Auditor/Specialist (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAMarch 4, 2016
Working for the USAF and the State of Washington were both different and enjoyable.

I learned discipline, and met challenges head on. The most enjoyable day was being hired and also when I left the public sector to work building a business.
This was an extremely pleasant work environment. The pay was not so good, but the clerical positions were not that difficult.
Administrative Specialist for ALJ's (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WashingtonMarch 29, 2014
The work environment was so pleasant that one would get excited to go to work. The administrative law judges worked closely with the clerical staff. The clerical staff positions were slightly above entry level positions (I worked here as a temp, but the job was miles below my prior work skills and experience), but the judges treated everyone as equals. I have worked with high level management for a majority of my career, and I have never worked in an environment where the upper echelon were so warm and friendly.
Pros
pleasant co-workers, nice office, nice breakroom, places to go for lunch, no pressure, good benefits, birthdays and holidays rewarded with gifts and parties
Cons
only paid twice a month, job beneath my skill level, not enough work and responsibility.
Review
Fiscal Analyst (Current Employee) –  Shoreline, WAAugust 5, 2012
The hardest part of my job is putting up with the management. Case in point, the executive manager of one agency would call the office manager every morning to set the schedule for the office staff. There are other incidences but it makes for a poor culture when the management is continually looking over your shoulder and second guessing you. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with my supervisor and co-workers and the challenges of the job. I have discovered that I enjoy working with people, I enjoy working with the public, I like a close relationship with my supervisor and I just have issues with critics looking over my shoulder.
Pros
stable, security, benefits
Cons
low morale, low pay, unaccountable management
Fun place to work but advancements are not managements priority.
BSA/Developer (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAJuly 30, 2015
People are great but lacks IT personnel/leaderships. Too many responsibilities for a manager to handle multiple assigned tasks. Often, BSA/developers would be assigned to take some of the workload from managements.
Pros
Employees/Systems users are knowledgable in regards to their responsibilities.
Cons
Managements/Leaderships are not as familiar with IT the environment.
Both a challenging and rewarding position.
Foster Parent (Current Employee) –  Cowlitz CountyApril 8, 2015
As a foster parent you have many responsibilities to a number of individuals; the child placed in your home, the agency, the child's biological family, the team and your own family.

Your goal as a foster parent is to provide skilled care, discipline and nurturing for any child placed in your home, while serious problems are addressed through treatment interventions. You must operate as a parent, a behavior management specialist, a mentor, a guide, a protector, a team member, an advocate, a teacher, a mentor of families, and as a caregiver. This is a big role.

The hardest part of my job as a foster parent is disappointment in the children when their families do not show to visit, etc. It is heart breaking to see their hurt.

The most enjoyable part of the job is when the child has accomplishments, when they see their self worth, and when they are able to return to safe, healthy family homes.
Pros
Giving back to the community in a real life way that helps.
Cons
There are alot of cons, so you have to stay focused on the Pros.
Good place to work but limited advancement for go-getters
Community Corrections Officer (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WANovember 3, 2014
The State of Washington allows for flexible schedules. If you have kids its a nice place to work. But...the trade off is the salaries are quite low and there is not much room for advancement.

They do allow for a very good work/life balance.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
not much room to advance without relocation to olympia
Company needs to stop reducing pay levels
Foster Care (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WANovember 4, 2013
This job is weighted heavily on scheduling and planning. It is complete care of children placed in your home that have come from families that were not functioning properly.

When you mix several dysfunctional families together it creates very strained family dynamics.
Pros
job can be done from home, without working an additional job.
Cons
company reduced reimbursement levels of kids in foster care, familes are having to pay more out of their own pockets to raise these kids.
Great people to work with and the opportunity to make a difference in someones life.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kent,WASeptember 17, 2015
I enjoy my time here. I get the opportunity to work with many different types of people. All people are very giving and get into the holidays and make the day at work fun.
Pros
People
Cons
policies and procedures
Do not work for state if you value your sanity
Health Insurance Benefits Specialist (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAJuly 22, 2013
The absolute worst management you can imagine. Incompetent, unimaginative and extremely selfish. Those are just the good qualities. I will never work for the State again. My co-workers, for the most part were caring and did their jobs as well as possible. The job itself had good qualities and was fun at times, but that was overshadowed by the very poor supervisors and managers.
Pros
benefits and co=workers
Cons
management
Exemplary Place of Employment
Secretary Senior (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAAugust 1, 2015
While I was employed with the State of Washington, I held various positions and I was encouraged and provided opportunities to enhance my working skills and communication people skills.

I regret leaving employment there.
Pros
Great insurance and education opportunities.
Cons
Too difficult to move up.
A rewarding position making a difference in one infants life at a time.
Foster Parent (Former Employee) –  King County, WAJune 11, 2015
I provided foster care for 33 medically fragile or terminally ill infants. This required living at the hospital with the baby until it was stable enough to bring into my home. Each baby required training specific to their medical issue. As the foster mom, I would advocate for required services and help the baby become stable to return to biological family or be adopted.
Pros
Helping a child and that child's family is one of the most rewarding experiences of my life.
Cons
Devoting your self to a medically fragile infant is physically and emotionally draining.

State of Washington Reviews by Location