State of Washington Employee Reviews

those who can't get promoted
cps (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 26, 2017
the worst management, no one seemed to care about the quality of their work. Few people were dedicated to improvement but were just there to get a paycheck and didn't really want to work - horrible retirement.
Good Job and decent pay
HHA/Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Federal Way, WAApril 24, 2017
Love my job not sure why indeed want me to type 150 characters bout it. All I can say is its job stability and decent pay. I love working for the State.
Pros
People
Cons
Union
Unemployment Benefits
Unemployment Insurance Specialist (Former Employee) –  King County TelecenterApril 17, 2017
I personally belive that the state of Washington has issues with fair pay and unemployment benefits. There needs to be a connection with Civil Rights and Human Services.
only hire who they know
Health Educator (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 14, 2017
I applied for this company with so many times. they only hire those who they know. Education and experience don't matter to them. It's very sad that they do not want to give chance to other people who are passionate to join their team and help community.
allright place to work
Electrical Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Connell, WA 99326April 11, 2017
This is an allright place to work. The pay is not great but that is to be expected considering where i was working at. Good bosses, easy to get along with co workers.
Pros
free room and board
Cons
low pay, cant leave
Compensation and Benefits Lacking
Individual Home Health Care Aide (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WAApril 6, 2017
I have been taking care of my disabled and elderly parents since December of 2015, assisting in household, dietary, and medicinal tasks according to state and physician advised care plans.
Pros
Helping both parents recover from illness and injury.
Cons
Making only $600 does not help my parents or myself financially.
Don't do it
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Snohomish, WAApril 5, 2017
Dept of Children and Family Services Snohomish, Skagit, Whatcom. Worst place ever! Expected to work overtime for no pay. Union tries to do what they can.
Cons
No work life balance.
A bunch of good people left
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Chehalis, WAApril 2, 2017
I worked as a security officer at Green Hill School for 9 years. It was an OK job until the new management decided that what the teenage boys wanted (who have committed crimes) was more important than keeping staff safe. The front line staff had a lot of concerns but administration ignored the floor staff and told us to get out if we didn't like it. A lot of good people left. A lot of the staff who stayed are waiting to retire so that will leave a lot of young green staff to deal with the problems. I've been gone for a year and a half and my blood pressure has gone down a lot and I sleep better. If you do work there make sure it is temporary and you have a plan to get out when the stress starts to affect you. Most staff who do this kind of work for a long time get diagnosed with anxiety, sleep problems, high blood pressure... the list goes on. The management knows that but doesn't care because there is always someone willing to take your place.
Pros
Frontline staff eat free, good medical and retirement
Cons
It can be dangerous and there isn't much back up for staff at all

Comment – April 22, 2017

The last straw for me was when the residents won the right to wear pajama shorts in the living unit. Pajama shorts are ok in some situations but generally I think the boys should wear pants, especially when going to chapel or interacting with me, a female staff. It's called Juvenile Rehabilitation and I like to have that clear boundary.

food service-low pay compared to massive job duties
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Steilacoom, WAMarch 26, 2017
Walking a half mile twice a week just to hand wash food carts, pretty ridculous, Really physical job, backbreaking work and low pay for a food service position
Pros
free meals
Cons
low pay, micro managing, favortism, really physical for a food service position
Department of Licensing Regulatory Board Section
Regulatory Licensing (Former Employee) –  Black Lake & LaceyMarch 21, 2017
Working for the Regulatory Board Support Section will be the biggest mistake you ever make. They are pompous, selfish and vindictive. Don't apply, you'll regret it.
Pros
Some nice people, not in management
Cons
Too many to list.
Unhealthy Work Environment
Mental Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, WAFebruary 8, 2017
All wards and shifts are different. There are unde 30 patients on each ward with a staff of 9 or 10. The best wards are friendly, supportive to each other, and treat the patients kindly. The worst wards have bullies and don't treat newcomers well, nor do they treat patients well.

Ward duties are routine and rather simple, but supervisory staff (you can have four or five supervisors) give confusing, conflicting information about how to do yur job. This increases anxiety and makes for a very uncomfortable atmosphere. They play favorites and if you're not one, look out. You become a target of their bullying tactics. Your regular supervisor is seldom there and doesn't always know what is going on. If he/she does know, and does nothing, it's just as well. The result is the same: the bullies continue their harassment.
Pros
Nice people overall
Cons
Some pockets of very nasty people.
Low grade work place
Kitchen Worker (Former Employee) –  Monroe, WAJanuary 27, 2017
it was alright working there considering where the job was at. Typically the work day consisted of serving food and sweep and mopping.
very rewarding
Individual in home provider (Former Employee) –  Kennewick, WAJanuary 26, 2017
I'm please to have the opportunity to have this and an experience that I will never forget and always cherish. Working and caring for the elderly is rewarding and challenging.
Pros
wk own hrs
Cons
mentally stressful
awesome job, very rewarding. just not financially
Long Term Care Professional (Current Employee) –  Mount Vernon, WANovember 6, 2016
If you find good clients you'll love it. If you don't have good clients go get them, you are in extremely high demand. The constant policy changes and training requirements can be tedious.
Horrible experience
Investigator (Former Employee) –  Grant County, WAAugust 31, 2016
Same experience as other review. Let go one month prior to probation completion with no real explanation. Serious lack of leadership and lack of communication. Stay away!
Pros
Descent $
Excellent
assist elderly/disabled clients (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAAugust 29, 2016
Good pay, good bebefits, good raises, good clients, rewarding, great union, great training, easy payroll/time processing.
Good
Information Technology Specialist (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAAugust 26, 2016
• Determined user/business/functional requirements for CAMP
• Wrote Business Requirement Documents (BRD),Functional Design Specifications (FDS), Systems Requirements Specifications (SRS) and System
Babysitters Club
Nanny/Babysitter (Former Employee) –  Longview, WAAugust 22, 2016
Watching kids is easy for me i wake up get them ready and take them on over to the school, Then spend most the rest of the day with the baby until the rest of the 4 kids from 2-9 are back from school. I watched them from 7:30am to 6pm mon-fri.
Pros
Love the kids, Had fun, & got paid
Cons
wears you out
Run for your life/sanity
Legal (Former Employee) –  Lacey, WAAugust 15, 2016
Gambling Commission is a toxic environment with leaders who are either incompetent or sociopaths. Hiring team lures people in with a facade of camaraderie and personable managers. You soon find out there are endless, unproductive meetings, where meeting minutes are useless because leaders fear public disclosure. The micro-managing is stifling.
Pros
Flexible schedules
Cons
Poor leadership
Pass DOT up
HR Assistant (Temp) (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAJuly 31, 2016
I bet you can find a better employer than the Washington Department of Transportation. Lower management is great, upper management not so much. Pass these guys up. YOU, my friend, are better than this job. There are plenty of fantastic state agencies in the State of Washington - this isn't one of them. Take a job here and you'll regret it. Authority of opinion = former HR worker. You know the agency bad if HR is trash talking. Seriously.
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at State of Washington. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9