State of West Virginia Employee Reviews in United States

State Government at its Best!
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charleston, WVMarch 28, 2016
The ability to handle the workload with diligence, time management and research to prepare daily for a heavy workload of cases.
Pros
Working with experienced co-workers to aid and to learn from.
Cons
Short breaks & a supervisor that is a stickler for time.
Temp Job
Equipment Operator II (Former Employee) –  St. Albans, WVDecember 10, 2015
Road work, snow removal, drainage ditches and mowing. Drove a dump truck mostly, but some days rode in back seat of 4 door pickup.
very friendly and fun place to be
general labor (Former Employee) –  Beckley, WVNovember 18, 2015
Fun place to work but work was always taken serious. We had a strong work team that always helps one another and never left no man struggling by his self.
Team work and orderly place of employment
Commissary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Huntington, WVNovember 5, 2015
The days went quick and the time frame of work was fast paced,yet the pay was somewhat low for the work that was put in. Cross training was fun filled in that other jobs could be learned and pay raises could be increased as to the amounts of production that was put out to other suppliers. The 6 day work week was very good as for the much over time that was allowed.
Pros
Extended lunch brakes at times
Cons
the pay was to low for the work load
keep inmates under control
line offcer (Current Employee) –  moundsviulleOctober 14, 2015
the state is a great state to work for if it would pay better co workers are great benefits are ok for me and my family. the com pany has awsome managment with advance to move up.
Pros
great co workers
Cons
not enough pay
Okay place to work, management was not helpful
Social Service Worker II (Former Employee) –  Winfield, WVOctober 11, 2015
Management was not helpful when needed, but the staff made up for the managements faults. Good place to develop skills, network, make friends, and help the public.
Enjoy working for the State of West Virginia
Trade Specialist/Painter (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVSeptember 8, 2015
a typical day at work was mostly painting and fixing anything that was ask of me. I mostly worked alone, I am a self starter. There was no hard part to this job because I enjoyed what I was doing.
Professional, safe work environment
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Elkins, WVJuly 16, 2015
Maintained security within the jail and ensured the inmates were healthy and safe. Physically patrolled and visually inspected units, yards, buildings, inmates, inmate property and clothing, etc., to ensure the welfare, safety, and security of the jail.

My co-workers were friendly and extremely helpful. They would answer any questions I had about how the jail operated.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with unruly inmates. The most enjoyable part was watching the inmates grow and better themselves for the outside world.
professional environment
Payroll Assistant (Former Employee) –  Alderson, WVJuly 9, 2015
.Working in this office was well upbeat and you handle your own responsibility and you made sure that you handle any discrepancies on time sheet and kept a log and communication with management.
Pros
Fast pace
Was kool place to work
Childcare Provider/Owner (Former Employee) –  Fairmont, WVJuly 7, 2015
If you love sustomer service this company is wonderful. They care a lot about employees and work hard to keep the work place fun and interesting,
Avoid DHHR at all costs
Economic Service Worker (Former Employee) –  centralApril 17, 2015
The WV Dept of Health and Human Resources is a horrible place to work. The work itself is mentally and emotionally exhausting plus you will get zero support from anyone in management and work for wages you could probably make as a supervisor at Long John Silvers. The place is overloaded with ridiculous rules that will make college graduates feel like they've been demoted back to grade school. You will have no chance of career growth or promotion unless you are friends with someone on the inside. Morale is terrible. On the plus side though, you can call off sick as much as you want and not get in trouble. In fact, if you work for the WV DHHR, you'll be in less trouble if you don't show up for work than if you do.
Pros
plenty of sick leave and holidays
Cons
poor management, bad morale, low pay and no opportunities for growth
Great place to work with dependable benefits
SOCIAL SERVICE WORKER II (Former Employee) –  Winfield, WVNovember 25, 2014
• Managed 30+ Adult Service Caseload
• Facilitated treatment plans between health professionals
• Proposed successful changes to everyday routine
• Interviewed clients individually, assessing their situations, capabilities, and problems, to determine what services are required to meet their needs
• Counseled and encouraged homeless clients to realize, achieve and manage their goals
• Motivated when overseeing networking between outside resources
Great SICU to work with. Family type atmosphere. Exciting and challenging work. Nurses were provided autonomy, and their opinion and expertise were...
registered nurse (Former Employee) –  charlestonSeptember 10, 2014
A work day would begin at either 0700 or 1900 and the earliest departure would be 12.5 hours after the start of the shift. Working in Surgical Intensive Care I learned an incredible amount about different treatments for different types of critically ill patients. We were the only unit in the CAMC division that could handle all critical patients, not just our specialty. We took care of surgical, medical, pulmonary, neurology, trauma, cardiac, oncology and women's health. At rare times, we treated pediatric trauma also. The co-workers were like a family to me. There was bickering and disagreements, but we always banded together, and supported each other. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the families who just couldn't accept their loved ones wishes, and trying to appease them while giving the best possible treatment to your patient who is the number one priority. (families usually don't see it that way) Also, the administration at CAMC is very difficult to deal with. The administration appears and behaves as if they are more concerned about the image the nurses portray rather than excellent patient care and treatment. We were scolded and disciplined on a regular basis for petty infringements including but not limited to: wrong color shoes, name tag facing backwards, cell phone at the desk, missed clocking in punches, etc. However if there was a gross negligence against a patient, nothing was every said. They appear to only care if a VIP threatens lawsuit. They also do not compensate their most experienced nurses well nor in comparison with the new graduated nurses.  more... There is little incentive to move up in their career ladder, and they make it extremely difficult to do so. So much so, that most RNs give up, due to the fact that they don't have time to jump through those hoops, and provide the best patient care and treatment. I am grateful for everything I have learned there from the physicians and my mentors, however I would never work there again unless on a contract basis due to CAMC administration.  less
Pros
some medical surgical floors offer 8 hour days, learning experience is great
Cons
poor benefits, no life work balance, less than adequate compensation, extreemely difficult to advance, schedule is less than flexible, 50% of the time no lunch break, or bathroom break
Not Challenging
Investigator II (Current Employee) –  Charleston, WVJune 25, 2014
Need more job assignments. On call, Mangement installed GPS on all investigators vehicles. Maganment will not punish individuals doing wron. no chance for raises or job assignment
Excellant and Wonderful
Courtesy Patrol Officer (Former Employee) –  State of West VirginiaJune 8, 2014
A place that encouraged growth and personal responsibility with an emphasis on employee growth.
exciting
Economic Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVMay 7, 2014
Enjoyed doing data entry
Learned more about the criminal system for WV
Pros
easy going place
Cons
temporary position
State good, good job
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVMarch 2, 2014
State goods are always good jobs...
Good pay
Days and no nights or weekends
Pros
good pay
Cons
not many
enjoyed doing something productive with my time
Baker (Former Employee) –  Glenville, WVFebruary 12, 2014
I pretty much set up my materials and stared working. I like to pre-weigh all the ingredients so that we have a smooth day. I learned how to roll and bake bread and pastries from scratch. I supervised 6 others in my crew. We worked together to complete most of the daily tasks. The hardest part on some days was cleaning as we worked so we wouldn't have such a extreme clean-up at the end of the day but the best part was experimenting with different spices and ingredients and eating whatever you created.
Pros
plenty of leftover sweets and food after everybody was served.
Cons
long work days
Great co-workers and benefits
Disability Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVNovember 21, 2013
The job was mainly desk work and the hardest part was the pressure to do more with less help. The co-workers were the best part of the job. There was not much room for advancement. It was very educational if you want to know about medical procedures and medical problems.
Pros
good vacation and medical leave
Cons
unnecessary pressure for production
Excellent job security, working with the public, generous vacation time after more than 15 years as a state employee.
Legal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charleston, WVNovember 4, 2013
Now that my children are grown, I'm ready for a career change. I no longer need to be concerned with my work schedule coinciding with the school calendar. I've learned much about domestic and family WV law, but am ready for a change.
Pros
8:30-4:30 hours, 5 minute commute, never had to be late for any of my children's activities.
Cons
each assistant handling approximately 1000 cases. caseload standard is 450 cases per assistant.