State of West Virginia Employee Reviews

Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Salem, WVMarch 2, 2017
I like working there. People are nice there and. It can't be hard at sometimes..........just don't pay that much money but have good ins and they pay for all your uniform
Professional
Executive (Current Employee) –  Charleston, WVFebruary 13, 2017
Very positive, professional work environment in which you can impact a person life in a constructive and productive way. The employees work hard and are selfless.
Don't make a state job a career
OA III (Current Employee) –  Clarksburg, WVFebruary 7, 2017
I work for the state of WV and the pay is horrible and no chance of advancement. The health insurance is a joke and they raise your premiums constantly and the out of pocket costs. No merit or cost of living raises in a very long time. The only good thing is the AL and SL you get and the paid holidays. I don't recommend a state job as a career unless you know someone on the inside.
Pros
Sick leave, annual leave, paid holidays
Cons
NO money
Good first job but no upward mobility
Forester 3 (Current Employee) –  Romney, WVJanuary 12, 2017
Low pay plus I got laid off and then re-hired with no warning. Always looking for something better. I love forestry though and that keeps me around.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Low low pay
Very stressful work environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Williamson, WVJanuary 7, 2017
Process titles, drivers licenses and driving examines. Very stressful work environment.Patience a plus. Low pay for the verbal abuse you have to listen to. No Increase in pay unless it is statewide. Very little opportunity for advancement. No merit increase or cost of living increase. Would not recommend this as a long term career choice.
Wellness in the Workplace
Family Support, District Wellness Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Cabell County West VirginiaJanuary 1, 2017
During my employment with the State of West Virginia, I had the privilege of working with one of the most beloved families in West Virginia's leadership. Employed as a Family Support Specialist and coordinating Cabell County's Wellness Program serving over 150 PEIA employees was challenging but personally rewarding.. Earning Employee of the month in August of 2011, it gave me an interesting perspective on what wellness in workplace was needed.. Re-defining portion control, combinating exercise ( bringing to fruition the first fitness center for Cabell District Employees and their families ) was a ground breaking accomplishment. Bringing medicine into the workplace utilizing Dr. Shelly Bailey with Valley Health Systems sparked county wellness in health screenings and education to the employees rather than vice versa. These efforts and accomplishments gained Cabell County special recognition at both local and state levels under the direction of Tina Mitchell.
Pros
Paid in a timely manner
Cons
Quality work for minimal compensation
High-volume and Complex Case Litigation and Management
Lead Attorney (Current Employee) –  Charleston, WVOctober 11, 2016
I am currently employed with the West Virginia State Tax Department as lead counsel for the Tax Department’s Bankruptcy Unit. In this capacity, I manage, on average, 1,500 bankruptcy cases with the support of one paralegal and one office assistant. Approximately 40% of my working time involves appearing for hearings before Judge Frank Volk (United States Bankruptcy Court, SDWV) and Judge Patrick Flatley (United States Bankruptcy Court, NDWV). I also appear pro hac vice in other jurisdictions as needed.

I work well independently, and, as is further illustrated by my resume, I also have experience in: pharmaceutical products liability claims; medical malpractice claims; premises liability claims; claims involving unfair and/or deceptive trade practices (“consumer protection” claims); nursing home abuse and neglect claims; wrongful discharge claims; and, automobile-related injury claims.
Good benefits, relaxed environment
Information Technology Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Parkersburg, WVAugust 28, 2016
Great place to work. Decent Benefits, customers are friendly.

Hardest part of job is the travel.
Co-workers are good.
State Pays for Certifications and continuing education on a limited basis.
Pros
Laid back environment.
Cons
Low Pay
Difficult to work with some people.
Personnel Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cross Lanes, WVJune 8, 2016
When I began this position I loved it because I was working with people and able to assist them in finding employment. It made me feel good to be able to help people with their resumes and aspirations. Everyone was extremely nice also.
Pros
Benefits were great and it was a fairly relaxed atmosphere.
Cons
There were no breaks and some people were hard to deal with.
typical gov't job
Child Support Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVJune 2, 2016
good time off due to state and fed holidays
I worked in a small office where we all got along pretty well which made the job enjoyable
I leaned a lot about family law, child support and state bureaucratic systems.
There are many facets to the job and a lot of information to learn. I most enjoyed solving problems for clients where I had to research their case to see where a problem occurred.
I least liked the enforcement end when I felt like my hands were tied and clients wanted action on their case.
all is in order
Commissary Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Marys W.V.May 25, 2016
this has been a very good work tool, and has shown to be the very real core of job security. To recommend what I have been taught to others would be my pleasure
Depending on the division, the work atmosphere is professional or casual.
Lead Secretary (Current Employee) –  Charleston, WVMay 8, 2016
Overall, I enjoy working for WV state government; however, in my opinion the system is too tolerant of problem employees, who are often passed from division to division instead of being reprimanded and/or fired.
Pros
Flexible hours, overtime opportunities, excellent health insurance and benefits, excellent security to ensure employee safety, designated non-smoking areas.
Cons
WV state employees have not received a cost of living raise or merit raise for years.
State Government at its Best!
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charleston, WVMarch 28, 2016
The ability to handle the workload with diligence, time management and research to prepare daily for a heavy workload of cases.
Pros
Working with experienced co-workers to aid and to learn from.
Cons
Short breaks & a supervisor that is a stickler for time.
Good Benefits
Investigator II (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVFebruary 29, 2016
All full time state employment comes with state insurance. Good coverage VERY affordable. Compensation isn't that great but retirements are set up pretty good.
Pros
beauty of the state and people
Cons
atmosphere
Temp Job
Equipment Operator II (Former Employee) –  St. Albans, WVDecember 10, 2015
Road work, snow removal, drainage ditches and mowing. Drove a dump truck mostly, but some days rode in back seat of 4 door pickup.
very friendly and fun place to be
general labor (Former Employee) –  Beckley, WVNovember 18, 2015
Fun place to work but work was always taken serious. We had a strong work team that always helps one another and never left no man struggling by his self.
Team work and orderly place of employment
Commissary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Huntington, WVNovember 5, 2015
The days went quick and the time frame of work was fast paced,yet the pay was somewhat low for the work that was put in. Cross training was fun filled in that other jobs could be learned and pay raises could be increased as to the amounts of production that was put out to other suppliers. The 6 day work week was very good as for the much over time that was allowed.
Pros
Extended lunch brakes at times
Cons
the pay was to low for the work load
keep inmates under control
line offcer (Current Employee) –  moundsviulleOctober 14, 2015
the state is a great state to work for if it would pay better co workers are great benefits are ok for me and my family. the com pany has awsome managment with advance to move up.
Pros
great co workers
Cons
not enough pay
Okay place to work, management was not helpful
Social Service Worker II (Former Employee) –  Winfield, WVOctober 11, 2015
Management was not helpful when needed, but the staff made up for the managements faults. Good place to develop skills, network, make friends, and help the public.
Enjoy working for the State of West Virginia
Trade Specialist/Painter (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVSeptember 8, 2015
a typical day at work was mostly painting and fixing anything that was ask of me. I mostly worked alone, I am a self starter. There was no hard part to this job because I enjoyed what I was doing.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at State of West Virginia. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9