State of Wisconsin Employee Reviews

easy placve to work
Certified Nursing Aide (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIApril 27, 2017
loved the experience, easy days at work, no long hours, easily the best place to work ever. management was awesome and easy to work with very accommodating to schedules of others
Don't Come Here
Library clerk (Former Employee) –  Racine, WIMarch 30, 2017
Not much to say about this job: there is not much to do here and you spend hours on end just sitting around doing nothing. There are alot of rules put in place and no growth or advancement
independent nurse
Independent LPN (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIMarch 28, 2017
I took care of a child on a ventilator with a tracheostomy. I got him ready for school everyday and went to school with him. Did all cares, had g tube for feedings and meds. Also went to several appointments with him and his family. I took care of him for many years until he passed away
Pros
self employed
Cons
no benefits or taxed deducted
Informative experience provided by magnanimous employer
Tool Crib, HorÄ•culture Worker (Former Employee) –  Oregon, WIFebruary 23, 2017
I enjoyed working with various plant species. I learned many different instruments used for horticulture.there name and unique functions. I interacted with many other people ,whom individually gave input on gardening techniques. Such as irrigation,propagation,soil amendments etc. I was also taught how to manufacture soilless potting mixes and interiorscape.
Loss of Focus on Customer Service
Claims Adjudicator (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIFebruary 8, 2017
Since I started this job in 1997, I feel that the focus of the job has shifted from customer service to production. Poor decisions are being made by others and the claimants are the ones who suffer. In spite of attempts by adjudicators to improve the conditions, our concerns do not appear to be heard by the people who could make changes. In spite of this, I still quite enjoy my job. My quality has not suffered, I rarely get quality returns and feel that I provide a good service to the people I am paid to serve. I also enjoy interacting with the claimants, their family members and authorized representatives, the doctors on our staff as well as the doctors and medical sources related to the claims. I have learned a great deal in regard to how to deal with all types of people as well as having expanded my medical knowledge and knowledge of Social Security policies regarding disability.
Pros
The people and the work
Cons
Cuts to State employee benefits, poor customer service at work
A complex position
Claims Specialist (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee County, WIJanuary 29, 2017
Atypical day at work on the phones helping people apply for unemployment. I learned that because a position pays well does not mean the position is for you. Management is nice. The workplace seems to be stressed out. The hardest part is working in a environment that is freezing cold. The most enjoyable part is when it is time to go home.
Pros
pay is great
Cons
You do not understand the job even after training
repetive work, tight time schedules, little down time
Payroll Specialist (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIDecember 29, 2016
Payroll is a repetitive work with strict deadlines. This can provide a stressful environment. One must be very accurate and organized. Dependent on people getting the information to you in a timely fashion. Some depended on you to correct their errors, others needed to be contacted before necessary changes were made.

The state has a fantastic benefit package. In payroll it was difficult to take time off because of the workload.
Pros
Excellent benefits and retirements.
Cons
Deadlines, stressful situations with unhappy employees.
State of Wisconsin
Income Maintenance Specialist (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIDecember 23, 2016
The State of Wisconsin doesn't offer competitive wages based on your experience and education. The benefits the State of Wisconsin aren't the best either especially the dental insurance.
Pros
Job Stability
Cons
Not great for advancement or competitive wage
Many opportunities to grow within departments
Program Assistant 1 & 2 (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIDecember 12, 2016
I loved working for the State of Wisconsin because they offered various training sessions to always grow within an department. I started working in Probation and Parole and the job itself inspired me to go back to school and study Criminal Justice which I graduated with my degree in May 2014.
Pros
40 hours, vacation and sick time available.
Cons
I really didn't experience any cons working for the State.
Not a bad place at all.
ESA III (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIDecember 2, 2016
Worked for state for 14 years.

My particular office, supervisors, and co workers were tremendous.
A great environment.

Last 6 years, the culture (not the office) has turned negative.
Pros
Good varied job. Great people.
Cons
Working for the state of Wisconsin places you at the mercy of politcal policy decisions.
Great people, terrible salary
Insurance Investigator (Current Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 25, 2016
The people I've worked with at the State of Wisconsin, Workers Compensation Division are the best co-workers I've ever had. They work well as a team, are super supportive of other people's lives, they even threw me a party when I got married. My supervisor has been my ally since the start, including getting me an internship within the state so I could finish my degree.

The downside is the salary. Because it's a state position, the salary is pretty terrible, and there are no raises. You just have to hope for advancement within your position or to find a new position that pays more. The benefits are pretty good, we have excellent health insurance, but that doesn't really make up for the salary issues.
Constant Work Flow
IT Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIOctober 10, 2016
My day starts almost before I get there. When I open my email that is when the day begins, I'm constantly answering questions and resolving issues as well as adjusting Purchase Orders or ordering something. I do not get breaks most days and sometimes work through lunch. However, we do stop at some point even if it is late to eat. We are in a new system this year, PeopleSoft and learning a lot! Also we transitioned into Cherwell earlier this spring which we are still adjusting to. Every day is a challenge.
The hardest part of my job is being politically correct. The best part is resolving a problem and knowing I did well.
excellent individualized patient care
Nurse Clinician II (Current Employee) –  Winnebago, WIOctober 4, 2016
A typical day at work includes medication administration, patient education and treatment team meetings. I enjoy working with the other disciplines as we collaborate for the benefit of the patient. We also admit and discharge patients on a regular basis. I learn new things every day and enjoy working with the mentally ill population. The hardest part of my job is working with extremely unstable psychotic patients. I find satisfaction in seeing progress in patients as they become stable on our inpatient unit.
Pros
great coworkers
Cons
injuries to coworkers at times
Fast paced productive work enviroment
Correctional Food Service Leader (Current Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 26, 2016
Two shifts to cover daily production. Work as a team member. On site management and security.. Fast paced and varied work day. Opportunities to share your skills and knowledge daily.
Pros
Never boring
Cons
every 3rd weekend off
Windows and VMware System Administrator (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIAugust 25, 2016
Slow environment but get to learn a lot.
Great people to work with.
enterprise level applications.
different tools and softwares to play with.
Great
Executive Director, Heritage Senior Living (Current Employee) –  Port Washington, WIAugust 15, 2016
My current job is a great work environment. I enjoy working with an innovative team who is dedicated to caring for our elders. I am fortunate to have great co workers who are dedicated to safety, fun and consistency in ensuring great service delivery.
Great place to work and very good leadership and superiors are willing to listen to suggestions.
Unemployment Compensation Associate 2 (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIAugust 7, 2016
I enjoy the workplace environment and like how professional as well as easy going it is. I like working with Microsoft Excel computing claimant's benefit amounts.
Excellent
Physician Primary Care (Current Employee) –  Madison wisconsinJuly 16, 2016
Works 8 hrs a day
Management and staff are very good some patients are very demanding
Otherwise good
See average 10 to 12 patients daily
Pros
Excellent working atmosphere
Cons
Most of the sites are in the remote areas of the State
Productive and fun place to work
Disability Specialist (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 11, 2016
The majority of the day is spend reading claimant records and writing why the claimant does or does not meet Social Security guidelines. An individual has to like reading and writing to enjoy working here.
Of course we have guidelines to meet, but the individual is responsible for setting his or her own hours as long as core hours are covered. Management allows the examiners to use the time as they please as long as they are meeting the required goals.
Management is supportive of the staff. They provide guidance on how to be more productive. They are also supportive of staff as individuals. They try to be accommodating when life gets in the way. They also occasionally provide special rewards to the staff.
The hardest part of the day is probably how much time is spent alone and how quiet the office is. But many people enjoy that as well.
Pros
good benefits, supportive staff and management
Cons
not enough drs to review cases
It's a Vet's World
Director of Foodservice/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Union Grove, WIJune 22, 2016
If you are a vet you have a chance of keeping a job. I did supervisor and director work for 14 months and scored 100 on the exam but was not hired; a vet with no experience got the job and I was laid off.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at State of Wisconsin. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval