State of Wisconsin

State of Wisconsin Employee Reviews

Close knit environment
Disability Examiner (Current Employee), Madison, WIMay 29, 2015
I enjoy working at the Disability Bureau. The job is demanding but rewarding at the same time.
The most enjoyable part of working at DDB is the people. We as examiners work extremely hard, some claims are complex and take more than just one person to make the determination, but everyone here is willing to help.
Management at DDB have an open door policy, and encourage us to make suggestions on claim development and ways to improve.
Secure job
Policy (Former Employee), Madison, WIMay 27, 2015
Pros: Secure
Cons: Management
An OK place to work. Cubical office spaces of varying quality. Headquarters are located in Madison, WI. Generally secure jobs.
Child care provider
Auditor/Fraud Investigator (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WIApril 25, 2015
Working as a child care provider was very rewarding. The thought of knowing I was making a difference in children's lives was heart warming.
avg compensaion, political environment is poor
IS Business Automation Sr (Current Employee), Madison, WIApril 23, 2015
Pros: good hours
Cons: total pay package is not equal to proivate sector
Best part of the job is you know your job is not going to be shipped out-of-state.

The downside is that state workers are demonized by politicians and blamed for the financial ills of the state, which is like blaming Viet Nam on soldiers and sailors who were sent there.
Working for the State of Wisconsin has been very rewarding.
Consumer Case Coordinator (Former Employee), Rice Lake WIApril 16, 2015
A typical day includes assisting individuals with disabilities locate employment. The State is more than willing to send a staff person to training to update their skills. Management and my co-workers were great. The hardest part of the job is to meet someone who desperately wants a job and is unable to even get an interview. Matching an employer and a job seeker, with a successful outcome, is very satisfying.
Network Administrator/Security Officer (Current Employee), Madison, WisconsinApril 14, 2015
Typical day at work: I am responsible for security access to the computer network. I am responsible for the installation of all third party applications and upgrades. I assist staff on how to use new services (ie, image system, email, sharepoint (just starting) etc).
I work with an excellent team of staff - we provide desktop support, server support, software support.
There is always something new in this field.
Hardest part of the job - keeping up with the server hardware and Operating Systems. We have been installing virtual servers for the last couple of years - but because I haven't actually done the install, hard for me to support.
Great clients
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee), WIApril 9, 2015
Helping the mentally disabled in their every day living ranging from personnel cares to every day living
High in stress
Work long hours sometimes 16
care and custody of inmates in a prison
Correctional Officer (Former Employee), Oshkosh, WisconsinApril 1, 2015
Pros: State benefits, retirement, health Insurance
Cons: dealing with prisoners snd their issues.
Manage and provide security for adult male inmates in an adult prison environment. Control and regulate movement, safety and security, medical treatment.
I worked at the state of WI DNR for 21 years, it was very rewarding working on many sites in the southeast region.
Waste Management Specialist - Senior (Current Employee), Waukesha, WIMarch 24, 2015
Pros: It was very rewarding when helping companies go beyond regulations, become stronger and more profitable, I helped start up the Green Tier program
Cons: Too many retirements and changes, budget and personnel cut backs with no relief on site inspection work.
Go to sites that generate solid and hazardous waste. Perform compliance inspections concerning regulations and guidance's. I worked hard on large term projects such as stream restoration and dredging of many waterways in the southeast. Examples of these are the Lincoln Creek and Menomonee river restorations that are located in Milwaukee County.
Great Working Environment
Intern (Former Employee), Madison, WIMarch 1, 2015
Pros: great government expierence
Cons: more tasks should have been given out to do
A typical day at work would begin with data entries using Microsoft Excel and preparing general written communications to those who work for the government. Along with that I would conduct research on people that the Lieutenant Governor would meet and places that she would go to. I would then proceed to make Word documents of these people and places that highlighted their importance. After those documents were created and were given the go ahead by her Chief of Staff I would organize them into her weekly binder. I would also create through Microsoft Word press releases and media advisories that were sent to everyone through out the Capitol to read. These pieces of information would indicate what she was doing and what was occurring in the Wisconsin State Government that week. I would also be answering calls through out the day that were either concerned citizens of the State of Wisconsin, or government officials that needed to discuss topics with my superiors. Lastly, I would update her webpage and write newsletters on her weekly activities.
Pleasant employees to work with.
Senior Bank Examiner (Former Employee), State of WisconsinFebruary 20, 2015
Pros: security and retirement
Cons: lots of travel
The job security is very good. The fellow examiners are very helpful as a group with the ultimate goal in getting the work down professionally and on time.
Collaborative research environment
Research Scientist (Former Employee), Madison, WIJanuary 31, 2015
Pros: autonomy
Cons: long hours
My focus in this job was on research of brain changes early in the symptom time course of Alzheimer's disease. The resources available for brain imaging are tremendous and it's a highly collaborative environment for conducting multidisciplinary research.
working as a correctional officer.
Correctional Officer I (Current Employee), Prairie du Chien, WIDecember 23, 2014
Check in staff ,visitors,vehicles,packages.conduct pat searches,strip searches,check equipment list,pass meals,write reports when needed.The worst part of the job is when you physically restrain an inmate that is being disruptive and threatening to harm himself or someone else.I get along very well with my co workers,some seek advice or info on job duties and how to deal with problems at the work place.The hardest part of my job is to not have a voice with my work conditions and the political changes that affect my wellbeing and safety at work.I work with some of the best and trust my fellow COs with my life and will miss them immensely when I retire.
Nice work, like to help people, call center
Employment Security Assistant (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIDecember 9, 2014
I liked this job, but it was a limited term position. I liked to help people on the fall. Call center environment.
Very good work environment
Admin (Former Employee), Madison, WIDecember 2, 2014
Good place to work, good work/life atmosphere, great management,
A safe community requires effective corrections teamwork.
Social Worker (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WINovember 23, 2014
Pros: much opportunity for job training; paid time off is appropriate to manage correctional stress.
Cons: prison work is stressful from interacting with dangerous criminal thinkers, being always aware on the job requires understanding family and friendship relationships, and positive activities.
Working for the State of Wisconsin was a remarkable experience. I appreciated the intelligent, competent, and committed staff I spent a workday with. I learned about the complexity of the criminal thought process. Learning disabilities and ineffective social skills can dramatically impact self worth and motivation. Effective management happens when integrity is identified and trusted. All of my coworkers were committed to the safety of the community; many were engaged in higher education and demonstrated their learning on the job. The hardest part of the job is handling the stress of offender anger management and the confinement of a high-rise building with no windows except in administration. The most enjoyable part of the job was celebrating program graduation after watching behavior and attitude change as offenders prepared for release.
Very negative environment and very stressful!
Youth Counselor (Current Employee), Irma, WIOctober 26, 2014
Pros: good benefits, good vacation package. a challenge!
Cons: very stressful environment and a dangerous environment!
Good benefits but very difficult environment to work in. Teenagers with anger problems, highly assaultive and some with mental problems. You try to find something to connect with them but they are very manipulating and some relate kindness to them as weakness on your part and someone easy to take advantage of. On the part of the juvenile females, many have been physically and sexually assaulted and are very hard to reach because of their lack of trusting anyone! It can be rewarding when you can be a part of them turning their lives around and them becoming a success story!
Management Structure is out of touch with reality
Resident Care Technician 2 (Current Employee), DHS Central Wisconsin CenterOctober 8, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: no chance for advancement unless you are friends with management.
Was pulled to an unfamiliar building and given no formal first time instruction pertaining to care of residents I was assigned to care for. . . 45 minutes into my shift I was forcefully thrown against a wall by a resident while regular staff watched tv with their residents.
alright work place
Painter (Current Employee), Oshkosh, WISeptember 29, 2014
Pros: good working envirment
Cons: never new if they had enough parts
coming in to work setting everything up to make sure i had all my parts ready for the day.
Government Job
Income Maintenance Specialist II (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIAugust 28, 2014
Assisting Clients on a daily basis with; foodshare, medicaid, and child care assistance.

1 2 3

About State of Wisconsin

Find out what over 40,000 dedicated employees have already discovered - interesting jobs, excellent benefits, and many advancement – Read more

State of Wisconsin Salaries