State of Wyoming Employee Reviews

Great benefits
Administration (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYNovember 17, 2016
The most enjoyable part of the job was helping the public be served. The most difficult part of the job was economic barriers that reduced services while demand increased.
Good place to work.
Adm. Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYAugust 17, 2016
Responsible for senior administrative of day-to-day operations, assigned programs or projects; may provide leadership and guidance to administrative staff.
Acts as liaison between administrator’s divisions and program managers to coordinate calendars for meetings and conference calls.
Attends, takes minutes, and prepares necessary records for the meetings.
Reports time for administrative weekly and vehicle mileage as necessary.
Makes all travel arrangements for administrative staff.
Investigates customer complaints and takes steps necessary to resolve them.
Direct workflow of office.
Great place to live
Senior Salesforce Administrator (Current Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYAugust 10, 2016
The State of Wyoming is full of passionate individuals which makes it a great place to work. The management team is aging, but surprisingly willing (excited even) to adopt new technologies. I work with several agencies, so there's always something new and unique happening. The hardest part of the job is also one of the most enjoyable- finding solutions to problems!
Good leadership and work/life balance
Facilities Manager (Current Employee) –  Cheyenne, WY 82002July 19, 2016
State employment has the typical rewards and challenges. A good work/life balance keeps morale up. Politically driven changes are often reactionary in nature rather than focused on improvement.
Pros
work/life balance
Cons
policy driven changes
Micro management, tell one thing then follow you around
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  WyMarch 7, 2016
Had boss drive 50 to complain about water bottle left behind seat. This is wasted tax payer money. Always doing something wrong in 5 month never got told good job
Good hours.
Deputy State Mine Inspector (Current Employee) –  Casper, WYJanuary 20, 2016
It's a good place to work. I learned the mining laws of Wyoming and MSHA. My boss is very good to work for and the coworkers are too. The hardest part is getting people to comply with state regulations. The best part is when you can get a person to change the way they do things for their safety and others.
Pros
Company truck to use.
Cons
Traveling all over the state during the winter months.
Current held position with the Wyoming Dept. of Audit
Principal Auditor (Current Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYDecember 30, 2015
Audit Oil & Gas Federal Royalty Payments for the Federal Govt. and Severance and State Tax Payments for the State of Wyoming based on production within the State of Wyoming.
Pros
Retirement Benefits
Cons
State Job, not much advancement
Great Place to Work
Grants & Contract Administration Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYDecember 21, 2015
State of Wyoming is a great place to work for the most part. There are always things that one would like to change in any job, but for 99% of the day, I love what I do and enjoy showing up to work!
A typical day at work
State Trooper (Former Employee) –  Rock Springs, WYNovember 13, 2015
Depending on the day if the weather was bad then we were very busy working crashes and helping people. If the weather was good then we would enforce the State Statues and investigate crashes.
Pros
being able to help people in a time of need
Cons
sometime really long hours
Already Reviewed
Claims Analyst (Current Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYSeptember 4, 2015
Excellent Employer with great room for advancement and professional development. Management involves their employees and welcomes their subordinates input on daily tasks performed.
My job has provided me with upward movement with great education. It has provided me with supervisory experience.
Building and Grounds Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYApril 6, 2015
On a daily basis I am given the opportunity to grow as a Lead worker and get me ready to supervise my own building. With this position I schedule special projects, do the ordering for supplies for the project, have the correct number of hours and employees I will need to get the project done on time, and as a team assist with a successful completed project.
Pros
The more time an employee works the more potential to excel they will receive.
Cons
Raises are rare and voted on by annual legislative sessions.
Job was okay
Exec Asst, Wyoming State Board of Nursing (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYApril 6, 2015
As executive assistant, I had to juggle many portions of the job as well as supervise the licensing specialists. This meant I constantly had things to do. While not necessarily a difficult job, it was hectic at time. It demanded a lot of multi-tasking and juggling. I did not mind it but the leadership was not that great and was one of the reasons why I left.
Average workplace with little room for advancement
Scheduler/Project Controls Specialist (Former Employee) –  Northeastern WyomingMarch 13, 2015
The hardest part of the job was performing tasks in a project management environment with very little resources. This office didn't have the necessary computer software to effectively manage the construction effort.
Pros
Regular Work Hours, Good Management Team
Cons
Bad Working Conditions, No Opportunity For Advancement
....
Youth Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  Guernsey, WYFebruary 19, 2015
It is a rewarding place to work if taking into account the kids and their successess. Like all places of employment there are things that could be improved.
Learned many aspects of Wrokers' Compensation Claims
Claims Analyst (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYDecember 7, 2014
Responsible for handling claims filed by Claimants. Plans and schedules work needed to process claim, interviews claimant and witnesses, and investigates claims.
A state government agency
Privacy/Compliance Officer - Director's Office (Current Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYNovember 22, 2014
A state agency operated under the direction of a citizen legislative system.
One of the greatest jobs in the world!
Disabled Veterans Outreach Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Casper, WYNovember 7, 2014
There is no better job than assisting our Military Members, Veterans, and their Family Members. Love the job!
Pros
Seeing faces go from frowns to smiles
Cons
Heart breaking when one of them passes
Great Place to WORK...Complainers - Move Along
Legal Secretary, Paralegal, Director (Former Employee) –  CheyenneSeptember 17, 2014
I worked for the AG's Office for many years and just loved it. I think the State is a wonderful employer, my only objection is MANAGEMENT IS TOO LAX on the lazy employees, which gives all the rest a bad name. How many times did I hear, "Oh, the State, where the lazy ones work - "they" spend all day doing anything BUT their job." This simply is not true...sure there are some that are like that, but for the most part the State IS AN EXCELLENT EMPLOYER AND STATE EMPLOYEES ARE THE BEST! Those of you that complain, GET OUT, make room for another. I always had a good deal of work to do and if I found myself pushed against the wall, I ALWAYS could find other employee(s) to help. Of course, there may be personality conflicts, but isn't that the way it is every where? Get Serious, THIS IS A GREAT EMPLOYER WITH GREAT EMPLOYEES. I learned a great deal about State government, and I came to the State with years behind me, but I always was ready to learn move. If I had an offer from a private firm vs. an offer from the State, I would, almost across the board, choose the State - every time.
Pros
Employees, Management
Cons
Lazy Employees
If you just want to get by its fine
Natural Resources Analyst (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYAugust 12, 2014
There is often little room for creativity, self confidence, new ideas and constructive discussion in some programs. Supervisors tend to be more managers than leaders. There is lots of work and a typical day is filled with multiple tasks.
Pros
Great Benefits package
Cons
No room for new ideas and discussion
Good employer.
Sr. Tax Examination Analyst/FITE (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYJuly 31, 2014
Process severance and gross products returns and tax payments.

Management was supportive.

Co-workers were friendly and supportive.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with unhappy taxpayers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at State of Wyoming. Our community is ready to answer.