State of Wyoming Employee Reviews

Horrible place for nurses
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Evanston, WYNovember 22, 2017
I would never recommend a nurse work for the State. The Leaders in Cheyenne have no clue, they are office people that have never stepped foot in a health care facility, and they do not trust their leaders in the facility to make things right. I know my leader has tried and tried to make things better only to be stopped by those that have no clue. There is not enough staff in the facilities.
Uneducated cutthroat co-workers
Highway Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Casper, WYOctober 2, 2017
Supervisor was horrible. Favortism showed to favorites. New people and unliked people get all bad jobs. Constantly harrassed and put down by uneducated and jelous co-workers. People tell on you to gain favortism with boss. Some co-workers kiss bosses butt with gifts and invited to gatherings. During plow season you work whenever it snows. Actually had fun plowing. All the people there are friends that drink and hang together. They protect each other .No use in going to management about bad boss. All the bosses are dumb and not qualified for their job. They got their job from friends promoting them. Bottom of the barrel workers. Don't work there unless desperate. It's a place to work until you find a good job.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Do not recommend anyone work for this state!!!
Law Enforcement Officer (Current Employee) –  Torrington, WYSeptember 27, 2017
The state of Wyoming has allowed a culture of Cronyism to exist, regardless of department. When a promotion becomes available, it is most likely going to a hunting buddy, drinking buddy, or spouse of a buddy. Management is encouraged to lie to staff for retention purposes and in most cases recruitment promises are never kept. People have moved hundreds of miles to this state and were fed a bunch of lies. Frankly, those who live in this state should be embarrassed of the direction the state agencies have been allowed to go.
Pros
Free Food, Overtime, Overtime, and some health insurance.
Cons
Make less now than when I started, State continues to cut benefits, Management Lies, Corruption.
I love my job
Office Support Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYSeptember 26, 2017
My typical day at work is very fast paced. I enjoy the fast pace but it becomes very stressful sometimes, especially if you take a day or two off! I enjoy all of the Holidays and time off benefits. I also appreciate the Flex Schedule.
Pros
Great Administrator and Boss
Cons
Too much paperwork, not enough people contact
Nice place to work
Child and Food Stamp Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Casper, WYSeptember 20, 2017
This is a nice place to work. There are a lot of employees but everybody always seemed to get along. I would recommend the State of Wyoming to anyone who is interested in a job there. I also wouldn't mind going back
Cut Throat politics, Zero room for advancement & VERY Low pay
Skilled Tradesman (Former Employee) –  WyomingAugust 21, 2017
If you prefer working with backstabbing co-workers and some serious politics than this SEVERLY Low paying organization could be an okay place to work. Keep in mind there is VERY Rarely any room to advance. Teamwork is non existent.
Pros
Low pay but steady paycheck
Cons
Lousy pay & benefits
Mom always said, if you have nothing good to say, say nothing at all.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Dubois, WYAugust 9, 2017
Beautiful scenery, and that's it. With a minimum of 150 characters, I will add that the large cities, few indeed, are better to work in compared to small towns. Do not expect to make friends there.
Pros
Beautiful scenery and wildlife
Cons
Long winters, always windy, poor pay, very cliquey.
Good benefits, never boring.
Parole Recording Secretary (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYJuly 28, 2017
I really liked working for the State of Wyoming. There were only 5 of us in our office and we worked well together. The manager at the time was not very good at what he did. Lots of complaints from other facilities and other departments. I liked the traveling and all the correctional staff I interacted with. Overall, good job.
Pros
Good job, benefits, staff
Cons
Manager
Horrible place to work
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Lander, WYJuly 13, 2017
If you have children, do not work here. They put you on a certain shift then change it to where you CAN NOT find daycare or tell you can take a vacation, give you the vacation then use it to punish you later.
Easy on group of people. Nice place to work
Information Specialist/Office Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYJuly 13, 2017
An easy group of people to work with. Nice place to work. A typical day at work would be answering phones, doing travel for the project managers. Helping customers.

Want to know more about State of Wyoming?

Ask a question
wonderful learning experience
Sr Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYJune 15, 2017
Worked for State of WY as a contractor with the Dept of Livestock to implement new Livestock records database and the State Archives to implement a new Records Management system.
Old original systems from the 1980's or earlier really needed updates. Only problem was being State Agencies projects were subject to whims of State Representatives. Since my contract was spread over 2 agencies, cancellation of the Archives project caused early termination of overall contract
Pros
professional workers, nice location
Cons
State Government Financing
State of Wyoming
Technology Support Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYJune 5, 2017
Great place to work with an unlimited ceiling for growth. Just a very different culture with the management in place when I was there. Hard to "buy-in" when you're not sure of the mission a definitely no support from upper management when in a supervisory position.
Productive and Great Place to work
Court Clerk (Current Employee) –  Laramie, WYMay 16, 2017
Great support by supervisors and the ability to balance working and parenting a great plus. Great work environment and staff is friendly and easy to get along with.
Wonderful Team
State Nurse Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Casper, WYApril 28, 2017
Teamwork and group thinking is required for a consistent application of critical thinking skills and performance that improves the outcomes of patients while being a good steward to the general fund.
Pros
flexible work schedule, casual dress
Cons
limited opportunity for advancement
Interesting Work Environment
Office Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Casper, WYApril 12, 2017
While working at the State of Wyoming UI Appeals Division I was exposed to a variety of office support duties. I learned many different aspects of the unemployment insurance program. The management with this division was unprofessional. The culture within this division was disrespectful. The hardest part of this job was not having the ability to change the culture. The most enjoyable part of this job was successfully meeting deadlines on a daily basis.
Security
Office Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Casper, WYApril 12, 2017
Working for the State of Wyoming UI Tax Division was a secure position with good benefits. I learned many different aspects of UI Tax procedures. The most enjoyable part of the job was the friendships that I made with co-workers.
I loved this job it made me feel inportant
Benefit Specialist (Former Employee) –  Casper, WYApril 3, 2017
Getting benefits done for clients, poor people, manage my caseload of 350, good self-esteem, meeting deadlines, when my deadlines met, going to lunch.
Pros
top of the bell and getting paid at the top.
Cons
Being micromanage by supervisors, when didn't need to be.
Government
Participant Support Unit Manager (Current Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYMarch 15, 2017
Typical government position with those constraints, policies and limitations. Difficult to serve outlying communities due to the rural nature of the state.
Benefits
Cons
No advancement
Great Benefits
Outreach Coordinator (Current Employee) –  WyomingJanuary 5, 2017
a good place to work with great benefits. The job is fun. You make a difference in people lives. The environment changes with the current administration.
a job
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Lusk, WYDecember 29, 2016
there is definitely job security, it is not a hard job.
it is hard to advance, and get the "good" posts unless you are friends with the right people.