Staten Island University Hospital Employee Reviews

Best place to work
Operating Room Technician (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYApril 12, 2016
A typical day at work was mostly rewarding. I really enjoyed the satisfaction of helping people in making their stay in the hospital as enjoyable as I could.The management was very involved and my co-workers were all team players. The hardest part of my job was having to say goodbye to my patients . The most enjoyable part of my job was when I would see former patients in a public setting and they would approach me with the kindest words and gratitude.
Pros
the unity of my whole staff and the friendship we still maintain.
Cons
not being to make a difference everyday in peoples lives.
Employee appreciation events
Catering Associate (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYJanuary 24, 2016
Working for Staten Island University Hospital had it's ups and downs. We were appreciated and awarded for our hard work and dedication. Serving patients their food gave me a new outlook and appreciate the value of life we all take for granted. The team I worked with was very close knit. Almost like a family. The hardest part of my job was micromanagement while constantly having them breath down your back. The fear of making a menial mistake that could cost you a write up. Also, there was so many different managers throughout the time I was there, that my co-workers and I would have to explain to them how to do their job
Pros
Union, Health coverage
Cons
Micromanagement, Fear of being reprimanded for a menial mistake.
Great place to work!
Coding Compliance Auditor (Current Employee) –  Staten Island, NYMay 25, 2015
Overall, NSLIJ is a great place to work and grow. I have learned alot working for this organization and am grateful for being a part of it. There is opportunity for free or low cost education regardless if your in a union or in management. The benefits are good just wish the co pays were less on subspecialities.

The most enjoyable part of my job is the auditing and discovering trends. Sometimes the most difficult part of my job is educating physicians in coding compliance, not so must the education itself, but more of the utilization of our billing capturing system.
Profession, and Fast Pace Environment, great place to work.
Patient Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYJuly 18, 2016
I have worked for this employer for over six years, it have been a great growing and learning experince for me and I am so grateful and please to still be apart of it.
Pros
Consistent with Scheduling, Professional Environment.
Learn
Graduate Nurse/ Registered Nurse - ER (Current Employee) –  Staten Island, NYAugust 22, 2015
I work at the south site er and began my training there. I learned a lot and the people/co-workers are great. On a typical day each nurse can have up to 10 patients. Some are high acquit while others are simple cases like a broken finger. I learned quite a lot being there.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
clientele
Productive and fun working in a feel good environs.
OR Intern (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYSeptember 1, 2016
My shift started with restocking the operating rooms, then I would take down specimens to the lab. I would also restock the stretches in every room and attend to patient's needs.
productive
Phlebotomist/Lab Aide (Current Employee) –  Staten Island, NYJuly 17, 2016
Could be more organized, too many changes in a short time, have better on the job training. otherwise all benefits are wonderful..
Pros
union job security
Cons
disorganized. better on the job training
Excellent for learning
Senior Patient Care Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 17, 2016
Everyday was great! I learned so much, my desire to become a RN increased daily. I enjoyed going to work everyday. My colleagues were amazing as well.
Excellent learning experience
Document Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYMay 26, 2016
Ability to succeed in all aspects of the Healthcare Spectrum. Rewarding experiences great administrative staff. No complaints, no issues
Pros
Room for growth
Productive workplace where details matter.
Central Sterile Technician (Current Employee) –  Staten Island, NYOctober 21, 2013
As an employee of Staten Island University Hospital, a typical day at work consists of decontamination of surgical sets and ensuring the operating room has what it needs for their procedures.

I learned that safety is important. The decontamination area is full of microorganisms that are harmful. A surgical set should have clean and functional instruments before it is loaded into an autoclave.

I found my management and coworkers to be cooperative and involved in the day to day operations of the Central Processing Dept.

The hardest part of my job is preparation and packaging. Instrument sets have numerous pieces and we are responsible for identifying all of them.

The most enjoyable part of my job is when I am able to complete a difficult task successfully and without supervision.
Pros
good benefits, experience
Cons
short breaks
Provides Excellent Healthcare within the Borough of Staten Island
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NY 10305April 23, 2013
My last position held @ Staten Island University Hospital, I was the Executive Assistant to the Vice President of the South Campus.

Most of my day consisted of calendar management, meeting preparation & visiting the various units within the hospital for patient satisfaction and complaints.

All my co-workers were a pleasure to share my day with. I was employed at the hospital for over 12 years and have developed many friendships.

The most difficult part of my job was dealing with terminally ill patients and their families or seeing patients suffer.

I held several positions while employed at Staten Island University Hospital and absolutely loved working with patients and my co-workers. Working in the Emergency Room was very rewarding.
Pros
comprehensive benefit package including 401k
Cons
emergency room mandation
Customer Care is Key
Catering Associate/Dietary Aid (Current Employee) –  Staten Island, NYMay 11, 2016
Great workplace where the patient's overall quality is the number one priority. Shows your ability to able to work well with others to maintain maximum customer satisfaction.
Great work environment, team players
ENROLLMENT SPECIALIST/MANAGER (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 29, 2015
Management is great.
I learned about different ethnic groups, I learned patience and understanding towards patients.
My co-workers are team players
The hardest part of my job is when circumstances are out of my control and I cannot assist the patient.
I enjoy the positive people around me.
Pros
people/benefits/being able help different people
Cons
no raises due to the union i am enrolled in.
very productive and fun place to work
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYMarch 5, 2016
i enjoy working for the company, everyone was nice and productive. it was really fun dealing with the patient no regret working for this company.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
decent break time
A facility with tons of potential with too many road blocks to realizing it.
Assistant Patient Care Unit Manager (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYSeptember 27, 2013
The position I held allowed me to learn and tweak skills I would otherwise not had a chance of. I was able to see the behind the scenes look of what goes in on running a unit and offer input in improving the unit routine. The hardest part of the job was realizing that while an idea to change for the better was presented, the opposite was the reality. In the end I realized my values conflicted with those of the hospital and it was not a company I could see myself growing with.
Pros
great compensation
Cons
poor patient care values, no culture of change
Dangerous
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYJanuary 31, 2016
The staff members are not physically protected. I had a violent attack on my person, and I was not given any help. Management is incompetent at acknowledging dangerous situations.
i start work at 5am, have geat talk with patients with humor and smile
PHLEBOTOMIST (Current Employee) –  Staten Island, NYNovember 30, 2015
its fun to work with patients and management as well as nursing staffs are so cooperative and supportive.

most enjoyable part of my job is to talk and share their views.
Pros
love it
Cons
Helping people in the hosptial
Ambulatory Care Clerk (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYJune 21, 2012
I enjoyed help the patient that I serve at this hosptial, it has taught me the a smile goes along way. What tool you can develop even if you work in a stressful environment.
Pros
the benefits and the opportunity to grow
Cons
management often made it every difficult to work
Nice Living wage Job
Cashier and Dietary-Aide (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYNovember 18, 2015
I worked here for 5 years in my twenties, and overall had a positive experience. Pay wages are the best on the island for non-skilled work.
Pros
easy commute, union, good pay
Cons
polictics
Wonderful experience
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYOctober 21, 2013
All employees as well as Medical staff worked well togerther. Patient care was thurough. Expanded my knowledge of all Medical specialties.
Pros
1199 union, yearly salary increase, learning all aspects of medicine in different specialties

4.2