Statoil Employee Reviews in United States

Diverse Work Environment
Organizational Development Consultant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 16, 2016
Diverse Work Environment -
company foster career development culture -
supportive on work-life balance
Management is inconsistent
co-workers or resourceful
very responsible company
Sr. Principal Consultant IT (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 24, 2016
A world class leader in the Oil & Gas Industry. They lead by core principals of integrity, open and honest with employees.
Good work live balance
Principle Consultant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 12, 2015
Company has good benefit that is comparable to the industry. I had good working relation with the team and enjoyed completing challenging projects.
Pros
9/80, half price lunches, good health benefits
Cons
You could go far and have job security if you like to play politics.
Fast paced challenging but rewarding work
Land Lead (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 27, 2015
Managed group of landmen in highly competitive area of leasing. Identified locations for well pads in challenged topography areas.
Pros
compensation and autonomy for large company
Cons
Young onshore company. Birthing pains
Good work life balance
HSE Performance Management & Verification (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 15, 2015
The company highly prizes themselves on the ability to provide their employees with the perfect work life balance. They are able to deliver on this and make sure that employees have a stress free time while taking vacation
Hydraulic Fracturing Specialist
Stimulation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 12, 2015
I have 39 years of engineering design for cementing, land and shelf offshore, fracturing, vertical and horizontal wells, and production analysis, and five years as a Hydraulic Fracture-Stimulation Specialist for OXY and Statoil. I have extensive experience in HTHP and unconventional reservoirs.

In an unconventional reservoir one needs to understand the stress difference between the minimum and maximum stresses to be able to ascertain the correct fracturing fluid and proppant
Pros
Pay, Healthcare, Work and Family balance
Cons
Would not put money into some assets after purchasing properties.
Great people and atmosphere to work in
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 31, 2015
A few of the first things I noticed when I started at Statoil was how nice and cooperative everyone was with each other. It really is a healthy team environment. Plus, I learned a lot from different areas by working cross-sectionally with different groups, including contracts, supply chain, engineers, etc.
Beware of management
Leader (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 28, 2015
Its completely not worth just having benefits but no work life balance. Management in GBS has some serious issues. Global leader is an IT guy with no experience in management. GBS manager doesn't care much for anything. Too much drama.

People leave Statoil all they time. Even management doesn't stick around for too long.

Contractors and other third party consultants loves Statoil because they have no clue what they are doing and blindly pay them. Perfect place to get money and not contribute.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Horrible management for finance and accounting
I am an accomplished safety professional
HSE Completions Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hannibal, ohioAugust 11, 2015
I oversea the safety aspects of the daily activities of the oil field. I am constantly learning about safety of others that's why I love my job. The hardest part of my job is nothing I enjoy what I do.
No longer a company to admire
Tech (Former Employee) –  Houston, TexasJune 28, 2015
This company has serious management issues (Houston) from the top down. The management's lack of success in exploration discoveries reveals deeper issues. Be very weary before accepting a job offer here, the few good benefits do not outweigh the negatives. No true pension plan. Health benefits not what they once were. Flashy management with no record of success or ability.
No Diversity Program, Very Incompetent US Managers, Stressful Open Work Environment
Confidential (Former Employee) –  HoustonJune 15, 2015
This company is in dire need of a Diversity program for it's US offices, especially Houston if it wants to compete with major US oil companies for the best talent. Currently, managers have unethical hiring and firing methods. Norwegian Management personnel are much easier to work with than the biased US Management personnel. Not a place to expect a long term career!

Open Work space environment may work for Noweigan offices, but stressful and demeaning in US work culture.
Pros
9/80 work schedule
Cons
Retains a very high volume of contract employees for very long periods of time, with very little chance of ever being hired
Bakken
Pipeline HSE Specialist (Special Projects) (Former Employee) –  Williston, NDJune 8, 2015
Winters are Cold Summers are Hot, but the wildlife and people are incredible. Really great bunch of individuals to work for. Great leadership! The working contractors in the Bakken need to face the facts and those facts are written in blood. TOO MANY Workplace Fatalities!! Safety First Fellas! Good or Bad cost efficient or not. If it's not right....DON'T DO IT!
Pros
Awesome Management
Cons
Hardheaded Contractors
Contract position
Supply Chain Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 21, 2015
Very good work experience & chance to meet some really good people. Having SAP to work with was something that I enjoyed.
Great place to work.
Heirship Specialist (Current Employee) –  New Martinsville, Wetzel Co., West VirginiaMarch 22, 2015
Nobody breating down our neck. Gives up time to finish a project properly.

Daily, start about 9:00. Free to go to courthouse and adverse. Free to make calls to potential mineral owners.
Pros
great company
Cons
n/a
Great place to work, fun enviroment
Coordinator/Consultant (Former Employee) –  Williston,NDFebruary 25, 2015
In a typical day, I would schedule work for consultants and up to 20 crews from 5 different companies using SAP, and CITRIX. I would also cost track and manage all work. I would be in constant contact with crew foreman's to awnser any questions, and or approve more work on a well location. I would also take at least half the day if possible to visit the jobs that I handed out to help coach and develop.
Good work/life balance, not much advancement options
Geology Intern, US Offshore Petroleum Technology (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 14, 2014
Great work life balance at Statoil. The company was undergoing layoffs to the tune of 1,200 to 1,400 while I was there. Very diverse and dynamic work environment. Sometimes the US branch of the company feels shunned in comparison to the Norwegian part.
Good Company for professional, not for beginner.
Production Engineer (Current Employee) –  BergenOctober 10, 2014
Good Company for professional, not for beginner. Not an international environment. You need to find your development plan and career. No one mentors you except you are very lucky.
Pros
good life/work balance
Cons
not good professional plan for graduate entry
Ok company
Senior Analyst, Performance Management (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 2, 2014
Cost cutting is a problem. Culture is very Norweigian by nature. Most people there are not a fan of their processes.
Projects
Internship (Former Employee) –  Freeport, BahamasOctober 31, 2013
I enjoyed completing the challenging projects that were assigned to me. That allowed me to get a first-hand experienced on what I will be doing throughout my career. Also I was privileged to be able to give my suggestions on how projects can be completed successfully and safely at our weekly department meeting.
Pros
free ride to work.
Cons
no overtime for interns.
Good company, just not everywhere
Subsurface (Former Employee) –  Houston,TexasMay 12, 2013
Statoil has good benefits that are comparable with the industry. I will elaborate only on Houston Onshore. Not much to praise about.
They lack established processes and nothing runs smoothly.
The work environment is OPEN seating which is very stifling, distracting, and not set up for professionals of our trade.
The management style is one sided and shallow. The politics are designed to confuse and made up to fit the situation at that time.
Big turnover in employees over the last 5 years. Not much improvement since.
Pros
half price lunches. 9/80 schedule
Cons
competent management lacking

Comment – June 13, 2013

All execs and managers except Legal, HSE and HR are Norwegian. The culture is still very focused on "how Norway does it." There are no processes for anything, bills are rarely ever paid on time, pay is low and there is NO career path for administrative assistants.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Statoil. Our community is ready to answer.