Steak 'n Shake

Steak 'n Shake Employer Reviews

This place is a joke
Service Trainer (Former Employee), Adrian, MIMarch 2, 2015
The management acts like a bunch of highschool kids, there is a lot of drama, tips aren't that great because the food is so cheap, and they only pay minimum wage for servers!
No life balance
Restaurant Manager (Former Employee), Columbus, OHFebruary 23, 2015
Salaried managers are taken advantage of. 60-70 hours a week is not unusual. Upper management shows no appreciation. Great job if you have no family life and never wish to.
Was an ok job.
Cook (Former Employee), Spring Hill, FLFebruary 21, 2015
Pros: was work
Cons: no heath care no free meals
Pretty much your typical fast food job. kinda of a free for all. Management just stayed in the back or out on the floor barley help kitchen. coworks only stayed in their positions and wouldnt lend a hand if needed.
Productive workplace
manager (Former Employee), North Druid HillsFebruary 6, 2015
Long hours, learned the interview process, customer service skills utilized, good management team, The hardest part of the job was trying to manage around call outs
Fun Fast Paced Restaurant
Waitress (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOFebruary 4, 2015
Learned the 7 Steps of Service and basic waitstaff etiquette.
Hardest part of the job was large or demanding parties with difficult orders.
This is the worst place i have ever seen or had to work for!
Head Cook (Former Employee), Spring Hill, FLJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: end of shift
Cons: poor management, 3rd shift
The management needs to step up and take control of the young adults that work there. the coworkers never did there jobs correctly, I had 3rd shift i would go in to a total disaster for we had no dishwasher, the young adults would see me come in they would clock out and not do the majority of there side work i would end doing most of 2nd some of first and mine plus all of drive thru orders that's taking order cashing them out then cooking the orders and inside the dinner. I was the only cook and i had one server for in the dinner. I would clean back of house and some prep work stock the line. I just got tired of people not doing there job and management not doing what they need to.
The location I worked at was the best place that I've worked at so far.
3rd Shift Production / Emergency Server (Former Employee), Hamilton, OHJanuary 16, 2015
Pros: great managers, great co-workers, and a 40 percent discount on one employee meal per shift-day.
Cons: communication about schedule changes could have been a little better, but they were rarely ever an issue.
The Managers were Respectful, even the Managers in Training who were only there for a couple of months were very Respectful of the employees they were working with. They gave you decent hours. There was always a way to improve yourself, either in the area you were trained in originally, or if you had wanted to be cross trained. I personally was cross trained to be a server and a production worker, even though I was hired on as production. I was even partially trained to become a 3rd shift Leader, but hadn't gotten the chance to finish that training because I had had to move from the area... and thus had to change jobs.
My Co-workers were amazing. Everyone pitched in, we all tried to help one another. If there was something that someone couldn't do, someone else would help them, and they would find something else that they could do. The scheduling was always done well in advance, and everyone got around 20+ hours... no one got any less than 15 hours if they really wanted some time off in order to slow down and relax.
The schedule even allowed for events in the area such as high school games, other school events, Movie Releases, and especially on Holidays such as Black Friday, Christmas and New Years... we would plan for everything, and I helped by providing Movie release dates on Movies that I knew or thought might bring in the largest crowds. (Mostly because I used to be the one who would watch the most movies at the cinema, since it was practically next door to our location.)
Decent beginner job
Expediter (Current Employee), Belleville, ILJanuary 13, 2015
Pros: employee discount
Cons: unfair treatment, lazy staff, lazy management, high pressure, low pay
This job is decent at best. Could be better elsewhere. Sometimes workers are not permitted to take breaks or leave on time, which can be frustrating. Fun environment, though.
Training new managers in the policies and procedure required to operate a Steak n Shake store
Training General Manager (Former Employee), Fenton, MOJanuary 3, 2015
Monitored and trained over 30 managers as to the proper procedures required to operate a Steak n Shake store, while still filling the collateral duty of General Manager of the store.
Upon graduation, these newly trained managers were able to successfully transition into any Steak n Shake with the full knowledge of their position and the duties required of them.
The most enjoyable part of this position was that I could work individually with each and every manager, and monitor their progress throughout the process. Coaching, mentoring and providing positive but constructive feedback to each one, and allowing each one to implement their own style of management.
Good atmosphere, bad business
Service Trainer, Future O.S./Manager (Former Employee), Holland, MIDecember 15, 2014
Pros: nice people
Cons: bad business
It was a wonderful place to work in that it had a family type atmosphere. It was, however, managed poorly. It had a bad business mind. I stayed as long as I did because there was advancement opportunity and the people I worked with were awesome. But I need something with more regular hours.
Quick Dining
Server and Cook (Current Employee), Powell, TNNovember 29, 2014
Pros: food is half price
Cons: long hours, mediocre pay
The environment is fast paced, the job is not terribly demanding; however the hours worked are not worth the pay. I feel as if I miss too much in my outside life from work with school, a girlfriend, and family matters with working long shifts late at night.
Management not good
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INOctober 24, 2014
Pros: free lunch, good pay
Cons: management
Great food, bad management did not like the long days 15 to 18 hours a day.
Good place to start a career in restaurant management
General Manager (GM) (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOOctober 13, 2014
Steak 'n Shake is a good corporation and has opportunity for growth.
Productive and fun work environment.
Fountain Worker (Former Employee), Rome, GAOctober 5, 2014
Pros: 40% discount. lunch break.
Cons: healthcare
Always getting Milk Shakes out on time.
Learned how to make Milk Shakes with perfection.
Always made sure everything was managed and stocked well.
Very well and enjoyable co-workers.
Two screens full of Milk Shakes to make.
Making the customers happy.
fun place
Server/Cashier/Host (Former Employee), Auburn Hills, MIOctober 2, 2014
Pros: tips. open all night
Cons: mean customers
crazy fun time here, made lots of money,, great nights working, great food
Unorganized with poor management.
Server (Current Employee), Brandon, FLSeptember 26, 2014
Unorganized day where management must constantly be on the phone to call in workers due to lack of scheduling or poor scheduling. Most of management does not assist in day to day operations unless persuaded enough times to do so from employees. Co-workers provide a family type environments which brings a bit of life to the work day. I learned how to provide quality customer service on a day to day basis.
Fast Food
Waitress/Backhouse worker (Former Employee), Fort Wayne, INSeptember 19, 2014
Pros: got more hours
Cons: terrible staff
It was an okay job, I got paid part time rather than full time but worked full time hours.
Babysitting
Babysitting & Childcare (Former Employee), Fleming IslandSeptember 10, 2014
Pros: helping, working with amazing people.
Cons: nothing
I had this job, while I was in High school. So I wanted to get on out more into a job, that was more in my field. I really enjoyed babysitting but It wasn't a job that would help get me through college.
fast paced
Shift Manager (Former Employee), Auburn, INSeptember 10, 2014
fast paced and wonderful to work for. Really taught me alot and gave me ample opportunity for advancement
Horrible company to work for
Store Manager (Former Employee), St Louis MissouriSeptember 5, 2014
You life as manager at this restaurant is non existent, No time for family. Work on holidays such as Thanksgiving and Christmas.Rarely bonus. They try to compete with Mc Donalds through the drive thru( they want it out in 2minutes and 30 seconds. Mind you they cook to order) and a sit down restaurant in the dining room. You are are on roller skates to manage both. Always under staffed. Zero family values. Do not kid yourself its all about keeping the money at the top.

1 2 3 4 5

About Steak 'n Shake

Beef and ice cream is an unbeatable combination for this restaurant company. Formerly The Steak n Shake Company, Biglari Holdings – Read more

Steak 'n Shake Salaries