Steak N' Shake

Steak N' Shake United States Employee Reviews

Casual dining and providing hospitality to customers
Shift leader Trainee (Current Employee), Orlando, FLApril 26, 2015
A typical day saw employees mutlitask while dealing with "rushes". We are expected to exceed expectations and increase daily sales
Upbeat pace environment
Sever/Cashier (Current Employee), Mount Vernon, ILApril 17, 2015
Pros: Working with the public, different experience from my hotel job
Cons: benefits, evironment
Enjoy working with the public. You never know for sure if it's going to be a slow or busy day at work. It could be busy one minute then slow the next or the other way around. I feel like my co-workers aren't very friendly towards me, kind of hostile. Hardest part of the job is making sure not to run into anyone when handling a tray because they might not always be paying attention.
fun workplace, caring management
Crew Trainer (Former Employee), Poplar Bluff, MOApril 9, 2015
Pros: frequent raises
Cons: no health benefits
fun, fast paced working environment. I enjoyed working here. Great place for advancement. Regular wage raises. Friendly co-workers and management.
Drive Thru Cashier, Server (Former Employee), Kirkwood, MOApril 8, 2015
Pros: Tips
Cons: Shifts weren't always flexible
This was one of my favorite jobs because I enjoyed the tips and providing great customer service. The people in the Kirkwood neighborhood are very neat and nice. It was always great when I would have complements and big amount of tips because of the great service I provided. This was another job that was very busy on nearly a daily basic since our location was right off the high way. My managers really enjoyed my company as being an employer along with my co workers would I also loved working with and learned from.
comfortable work environment
Restaurant Manager (Former Employee), Eureka, MOApril 8, 2015
fast paced and busy on a daily basis. Management was flexible and very friendly. Hardest part was being a manager and handling micromanaging from superiors.
we had an actual break room
Server (Former Employee), Florissant, MOApril 6, 2015
Pros: employee discount
Cons: rude customers
Every day was filled with different people and different attitudes. The management was great, they were nice and laid back. The hardest part of work was making sure the kitchen got the orders right for the tables we served.
Worst restaurant management experience ever
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee), Greensburg, PAMarch 30, 2015
Always stuck working a position, terrible hours. Will never eat there again after working there. Poor food quality. Low quality workers and high demand due to low pay rate standards
Great sarter job
Crew Member (Former Employee), Fort Wayne, INMarch 13, 2015
This is a great place to work if your just starting out, great people and work atmosphere. Advancement opportunity is abundant. Have fun
Very good place to work
Server (Former Employee), Opelika, ALMarch 9, 2015
Steak N' Shake is a great, laid-back place with lots of other hardworking people around you. I would definitely recommend it to other people looking for work.
Horrid place to work!
Server (Former Employee), Altamonte Springs, FLMarch 8, 2015
Pros: co-workers/friends.
Cons: everything else.
This is by far the worst place I have ever worked. It's a joke. Management only cares about themselves and employed are treated horribly. The salary managers act more like kids than managers and are very spiteful. I wold NEVER want anyone I know to work for this company. I worked there for over a year and never received any type of raise or anything. Even when I become a MANAGER I was still receiving the same pay as the crew. WORST company I have ever worked for before in my life.
Great first job
Server (Former Employee), Elizabethtown, KYFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: gaining the customer service experience, tips
Cons: some nights were good for making money some nights were not
Interacting with customers all day
learn how to interact with customers
great co-workers
hardest part: getting hours
Enjoyable: interacting with people during the day
everything was horrible, the management was horrible
Production/Service (Former Employee), Lakeland, FLFebruary 14, 2015
Pros: tips are not the worst
Cons: everything was horrible
the managers, the employees, the upper-management was all horrible and just insufficient and ineffective. the whole building was disorganized and disgusting and had many ants and knats everywhere.
Hard work that was meaningless
Drive-Thru Operator (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILFebruary 6, 2015
Pros: plenty of hours
Cons: everything else
Handed out food to the customers and helping to prepare for the order, such as making fries, dressing hamburgers, and washing dishes.

I learned how to multitask more effectively, and how a company should not be run. The management was good at getting us going during the rush times, but they were poor at giving us our schedule at a decent time (usually between two days before the next week and the day of that week), and did not really care what we did most of the time (unless the higher ups were there). This job was not enjoyable and was very stressful and unproductive.
Just a first job, didn't plan to take it much further than highschool
Waiter (Former Employee), Aurora, OHFebruary 5, 2015
I basically held a job here for only a summer. It was like any first job I didn't really enjoy it but I worked hard to get where I wanted to go.
fun and productive work place
Drive thru (Former Employee), Indianapolis INJanuary 30, 2015
Pros: good food
A typical day at Steak N' Shake would consist on taking orders, bagged food, and did side work. A lot of my co-workers went to school with me. But the other co-workers were really nice. The hardest part of my job was the fast pace. You had to keep the time under 2 minutes, and that was kind of difficult.
Fun workplace with great people
Server (Current Employee), Saint Charles, MOJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: discount on meals, fast paced
Cons: not enough hours, no benefits
It is a very fast paced environment where I get to meet and have conversations with new people everyday and make return customers and friends while working. The people around you are great but the management team is really unorganized and seem to have difficulty working together to really make the store better.
A nice place to work
Waitressing (Former Employee), Arlington, TXJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: free lunch
Cons: unorganized
a typical day, is very fast past. Management was majority men, so they were kind of unorganized. My coworkers were awesome. Wasn't really a hard part. Most enjoyable part knowing i did my job at the best of my ability.
Great First Job
Cook/Prep Cook (Current Employee), Irving, TXJanuary 18, 2015
Pros: good hours, nice customers
Cons: no breaks, bad staff
Typical day at work is getting to your station making sure everything is stocked up ready to go for upcoming customers through out the day. I learned very good customer service skills along with cooking skills. The management could be BETTER . The only hardest part of the job for me is cleaning everything and stocking before you leave which is hard to do because the customer rush starts around the time my shift is over. My favorite part of the job is the schedule and hours.
Working for SnS
Server/Team Leader (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INJanuary 13, 2015
Pros: health insurance
Cons: crazy hours
SnS, was a very pleasant place to work. On a day to day bases,I'd go to work with a positive attitude; no matter what I have going on in my personal life. I learned a lot from the staff/Management and was always ready to learn to better myself; but most importantly to satisfy the customer!
Very fast paced But a Good Environment
Grill Man (Former Employee), Festus, MODecember 30, 2014
Pros: free lunches and a good environment
Cons: short breaks
A typical Day Was to clean the Area (Bathrooms,Grill, Prep line ETC.) then Prepare and Serve Food i Learned Most of the In's and Out's Of the Restaurant Business and Became Quite Skilled in Food Preparation Steak N' Shake Had some of the Best Coworkers i have ever had the Pleasure of coming into contact with and Most are still good friends The management Was also Spectacular Very Concerned Individuals for the Welfare of their Employees

1 2 3 4 5