Steak N' Shake Employee Reviews

Good place to work, if you do other peoples jobs for them.
Dressing Table, Grill, (Former Employee) –  Zanesville, OHFebruary 8, 2016
Having to do other people's job, while they are busy running around talking on their phones, and complaining about their personal lives.
It was a good first job to have, and it taught me a lot.
Server/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Crawfordsville, INJanuary 26, 2016
I really enjoyed going to work, even as a high school student who was very involved in sports and my friends. I adapted to the work very fast and was one of the best before too long. I would eventually train new employees and teach them the "do's and don'ts" and how to stay on a good pace without overworking yourself. I became one of the main servers. I did not like that I would work past the time I was suppose to since I had to go to school in the mornings. I did enjoy everyone that I worked with, including management.
no life balance
Manager/Training Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLDecember 28, 2015
It is a good place to work if you don't have a young family at home. Long hours to work because of employee turnover is high. It is very not easy to found good workers
Pros
Free meals for managers
Cons
Employee turnover
Steak N' Shake
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Hoover, ALDecember 27, 2015
A typical day at Steak N' Shake being a hostess includes,
a sanitizer bucket, menus, and a broom.
I learned everything from this job, how to manage my money and genuinely how to treat customers.
The management was not good in my opinion, we had more people just sitting around and yelling at us, eating the food than actually managing.
I loved my coworkers, they were very giving and courteous, the hardest part of the job is remembering to leave your feelings at home, being a hostess requires smiling, you are the face of the store.
The most enjoyable, was my overall experience.
Pros
Great Discounts, Great people, Great hours.
Cons
I worked 10 am to 10 pm for about 3 months, and even when I would visit they would ask me to come in to work.
Fun and Productive Work Environment
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Mattoon, ILDecember 11, 2015
I learned how to open and close, prepared food all morning so that it would be ready for the rest of the day use. I loved all of my coworkers and I loved this job, training people was almost a daily thing for me. I worked drive thru, truck, cash register, dishwasher, food preparer, shake maker, and station worker.
Pros
free drinks, nice atmosphere, fun
Cons
dishwashing
Environment
Production worker (Current Employee) –  Fairlawn, OHDecember 7, 2015
its a great place to work only if you actually are willing to work. its a very fun place to work. I enjoy the environment its positive.
Very Fast Paced
Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Newnan, GADecember 3, 2015
Excellent Place To Start Working In The Customer Service Environment, fast Paced and employees are the most important besides the customers, great managers as well.
Pros
Great hours
Cons
short breaks
Fantastic for a first job and there is room for advancement, however compensation is not enough for a college student that pays for all expenses.
Production Trainer, Service Trainer, Leader (Current Employee) –  Frisco, TXNovember 16, 2015
A great way for young people to make money when they are new to the workforce. However, nearly impossible to survive while paying for all expenses with Steak n Shake salary.
Pros
Up to $12 an hour, flexible hours
Cons
No more than $12 and hour, high turnover rate
Awesome management
Cashier (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 11, 2015
Steak N' Shake is an excellent place to work. The management is great and treats their employees well. I enjoy working with the customers the most and enjoy being able to put a smile on their faces.
,,,,,,,,,,,,
Milk Shake maker (Former Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MINovember 10, 2015
i didn't like it at all, the manger is bad. They never gave me days to work but two times a week. You tell them you can't work on this day they put you down to work anyways.
productive, learning enviorment.
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYNovember 6, 2015
It was my first job. The managers taught me what they could,. They had me doing a lot of different jobs, and the co-workers were good to work with. They taught me the dos and don'ts of the fast food enviorment. I would seat the customers and put them were the server needed them to go. I also learned how to serve their and inter act with people so I got out of my shell and be able to communicate with people.
Fast food
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 4, 2015
Typical fast food restaurant, high turnover, shoddy management, location actualy closed due to poor performance, wouldnt recommend to anyone
Not too bad if you keep a level head.
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Winter Park, FLOctober 30, 2015
Working for this company you must be able to deal with stress while multitasking and be able to push out quality product in a timely manner. It is food service so you have to deal with weird customers and crazy demands but it's not a hard job.
Terrible
Host/Server (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLOctober 27, 2015
terrrible place for me at the time . Great co-workers and terrible managment. terrible work experince for me dealing with kid. I would not work there again.
Summary
Drive-thru/ Frontline/ Shake Maker (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 26, 2015
I was welcomed into the company with open arms. My trainer was patient although I didn't need much I caught on fast. I was able to move around and learn all aspects of the store.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Rainy Days
Fast paced, many different people to work with
Production Assistant (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MOOctober 15, 2015
I learned how to cooperate with many different kinds of people, even ones I disliked. Definitely improved my multi-tasking skills. The hardest part of the job was trying to do multiple stations at once by myself in a timely manner.
Pros
Free food at times, mulitiple people.
Cons
no benifits and co-workers not doing their jobs
Exciting Place to work for
Trainer, Manager (Former Employee) –  Carmel, IndianaOctober 14, 2015
I would manage about 20-25 employees at one time. Create schedules. Banking procedures. Accounting. New hire orientations. New employee training. Hiring. Performance reviews. Inventory. Ordering.
Pros
Meeting new people everyday, working in a team enviroment
Cons
Healthcare, benefits for part time employees, working all hours of the day
Steak n' Shake
Server (Former Employee) –  Woodhaven, MIOctober 3, 2015
I personally enjoyed working at Steak n' Shake very much; it most definitely was one of my favorite jobs. A typical day at work consisted of greeting customers at the door and seating them to wherever they would like and proceeding to take their order. I had the best co-workers and everybody got along well, not to mention the management staff was also very helpful and easy to approach whenever I had a scheduling conflict or any problems in general. (I never had any but I know they would be negotiable if I did) The rushes we would get would be the hardest part of the job, but overall I loved working there and all of the people that I got to meet.
Pros
Lunches
Cons
Rushes were hectic
Steak N' Shake
Server (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GASeptember 24, 2015
I started Steak N' Shake as a server and continued employment there for 4 years. I would train new employees as needed. The hardest part of the job would be wanting to help everyone and then finding time to prioritize. The most enjoyable part o my job was seeing people leave with a smile.
A typical day at work.
Server/Hostess (Current Employee) –  Decatur, ILSeptember 17, 2015
Working in customer service is such a great thing. It's amazing to me how you can learn and grow and interact with some many new people each day. My peers have taught me so many great things and I've learned so much. It's an exciting experience to go through.