Steak N Shake Employee Reviews

Fun workplace
Fast Food Worker (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYJanuary 21, 2018
The only outstanding problem I really had with this job was that I was working while I was a full time student in college so It was a hectic time for me.
Not the Best employer
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  O'Fallon, ILJanuary 20, 2018
When I stated working for this company we had incentives and bonus for hits work goals. After the new CEO took head he effectively killed all these incentives. The store I worked for was good about working around by school schedule. No paid sick time or vacation days is one of the worst of it. I will say that the job isnt hard and depending on the store might be either extremely busy or very slow. Things also fast paced so time does fly by when it's busy.
Pros
Fast paced
Cons
No paid vacation or sick time
Fast pace environment
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Lake Saint Louis, MOJanuary 19, 2018
Steak N Shake is a great fast pace company to work for a while going to school; however; there is room for advancement and you can make a carrier of it. I loved working there and managing 52 associates and 2 managers. However due to family events my carrier had to move on to a low pace family oriented job.
Productive work place, environment is clean and neat.
Drive Thru Operator (Current Employee) –  Florence, KYJanuary 18, 2018
I have learned a lot from this job, in such the short amount of time I've worked there. This company has helped me grow in many ways. Thanks to my managers
Pros
Hours are good, free lunches sometimes
Cons
Healthcare, barely any breaks
It was a nice place to work everyone collaborated well
Grill Cook/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLJanuary 18, 2018
It was a fun experience I loved to grill even though it was pretty stressful at times and some of the other employees started to get a little too stressed out but overall it was pretty good
Pros
Fun work environment, discounts
Cons
Super lunch rushes, pushy management
Fast Paced and Fun
Service Trainer (Former Employee) –  IndianaJanuary 18, 2018
I've worked at different Steak 'n Shake stores and each is different in many ways, but one thing remains the same throughout and that is the dedication of management to provide an exceptional dining experience that doesn't break the bank.
Pros
Discount during shift, flexible hours
Cons
Short breaks
Fun
Restaurant Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILJanuary 18, 2018
Great place to work and move up in the company always busy on helping workers and helping them improve in the work place helping customer with unsatisfied service and fix their order
Pros
Good place
Relaxed environment
Server (Former Employee) –  LaFayette, GAJanuary 18, 2018
I worked at the Steak ‘n Shake only for four months but those for months as me being a server was the worst first job ever! Management was no help. They had there favorites and was very disorganized
Very Friendly Staff
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Newark, OHJanuary 18, 2018
Days were anywhere from fast paced to slow, everyone in the back always has fun and jokes around while still being able to do their jobs. If the pay wasnt the reason, I would stay.
Pros
40% off on all food
fun staff in a fun environment
Server/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mount Prospect, ILJanuary 18, 2018
i really liked it. the workers were easy to get along with and very helpful. the managers were really understanding. the customers were manageable. and it's not a terrible job.
Pros
tips
Cons
the minimum wage thing ($4)
Typical work day
Server (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYJanuary 17, 2018
I work many different people such as co workers and customers. I have learned what things should be done in the store and what should be done on a daily basis. I love my job because of the customers and being able to talk to them and treat them the way I would want to be treated if I went inside of a restaurant. The hardest part of my job is not being able to get out on time and having to worry about people not coming in. I have learned how to understand why people didn't come in and get over it.
Pros
Good management
Cons
Not getting out on time, People calling in
Excelente ambiente de trabajo.
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Katy, TXJanuary 17, 2018
Excelente ambiente de trabajo, posee un buen equipo laboral, asignan horas sin importa overtime.
Pros
Excelente horas.
Cons
No son compresivo en cuanto a bonificaciones a empleados.
Welcome to Steak, We're Out of Shake
Drive Thru Cashier (Former Employee) –  Franklin, TNJanuary 17, 2018
Terrible, irresponsible place to work or eat. Staff was rude and impatient, positions were manned by employees with almost no training, and while I worked there, I was a legal minor, yet was working 12+ hour shifts with no breaks. You do not leave at your clock out time, nothing is cleaned properly, and cooking times are beyond ridiculously long. Do not work here if you have any self respect.
Cons
Bad management, bad cleaning, poor training
team building
PRODUCTION TRAINER (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, INJanuary 17, 2018
It was a good team building experience, people worked well together so that the customers where helped in a timely matter. the servers and the production team where both great at working together.
Poor managment
Server (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHJanuary 16, 2018
When I worked here, I was a server Servers at the time were only paid $4.05. The servers were taken off the floor to wash dishes. We would be off the floor hours out of our shift and wouldn't be paid regular wage.
Poorly managed
Server (Current Employee) –  Greeley, COJanuary 16, 2018
Awful management. Don't do anything to help their employees out. Employees get paid the bare minimum and have to do 4 people's jobs. Wouldn't recommend anyone work here
Pros
Good tip money
Cons
Everything else
Poor management
Server (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INJanuary 16, 2018
You weren’t allowed to get a break unless you smoked cigarettes. Management was more focused on making friends than employees. Drama, drama, drama!!!!
Decent company in right location
Shift supervisor (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ALJanuary 16, 2018
I enjoyed working for Steak and Shake as a company not the particular location and under the management however it does have much room for advancement in which I was looking to make a career in a lifestyle change but it didn't happen
Fun Place to work and eat
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Centerville, UTJanuary 15, 2018
Too bad its closing. The management team is great. Sometimes the crew is problematic (High School Drama). but the work is easy, the atmosphere is laid back.
Pros
good food
it was decent
Shake Maker (Former Employee) –  Rolla, MOJanuary 15, 2018
it was an alright job i had a few complications with the employees, other than that it was a pretty good job it was always very busy if i was lucky i would maybe two days off every two weeks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Steak N Shake. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7