Steak N Shake Employee Reviews

Found 1,960 reviews matching the search
Friendly staff, Great managment
Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, INMarch 27, 2017
Laid-back work environment with helpful management and great teamwork among the employees. Occasional difficulties with customer service, but overall wonderful working conditions.
Pros
Reduced lunches
Cons
No benefits
Fast paced workplace
Server, night production (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, OHMarch 27, 2017
Great customers, poor staff. I loved my job, personally. I loved taking care of my customers and making sure i have a clean workplace. The rest of the staff was pretty lazy except a few people, the hardest workers get treated the worst. I always came in when a shift needed covered but, when i came back 2 weeks after i gave birth i needed a shift covered because i had to go to court and i was fired because i couldnt find anybody to cover my shift, remind you i was scheduled less than 12 hours after i got off of my last shift . Super unprofessional.
great opportunity to develop integral management skills.
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMarch 27, 2017
The company has a great workplace culture, and there were plenty of opportunities to gain additional training. The most enjoyable part of the job was the self-directing career pace one could set for themselves.
Pros
training opportunities.
Cons
fast paced.
Good advancement opportunities
General Manager (Current Employee) –  IndianaMarch 26, 2017
Overall a good place to work. Management is great and good support or help when needed. To succeed you must have most of the time at work you lose out on vacations.
Vibrant, Fun Productive Workplace!
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Vienna, WVMarch 26, 2017
This is one of the friendliest places you will ever work!
People are kind. Go above and beyond to keep their workers Happy. You are taken care of so long as you pull your weight!
Pros
Free Meals
Cons
Short breaks.
Decent place to work
Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  Decatur, ILMarch 25, 2017
I think this place could work on their workmanship. The hardest part of the job is the drama, it's generally an easy going place to work. I think sometimes people are treated unfairly.
Horrible place
Host (Former Employee) –  Paducah, KYMarch 24, 2017
It was a horrible experience the workers was rude and management was just as bad. I was host and the servers always tried to put the responsibilities on me.
Challenging at times, restaurant/fast food
Server (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FLMarch 24, 2017
Steak n Shake can be a fun place for servers if the management is on board with their employees. Service is to families, groups, and individuals who wish to have steak burgers rather than the ordinary hamburger.
roductive
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAMarch 23, 2017
While working at steak n shake I was able to make a lot of money even though the shift wasn't always balanced, we would always have to worry about if people were going to show up or not . The hardest part of the job was the traveling because I lived in Norfolk and the restaurant was in Virginia Beach.
fast pace and enjoyed the customers
Server (Former Employee) –  Saint Louis County, MOMarch 23, 2017
A typical day at Steak n Shake consisted of seating the door in a timely manner while taking orders and delivering food in a reasonable amount of time. At Steak n Shake over the years I've learned how to interact with people better without being nervous or shy. Its a very diverse workplace and that's what I like most about it. The hardest part about working at Steak n Shake is rush hour when the entire dining room fills up.
Caring staff and fun coworkers
Drive-thru attendant/Server (Former Employee) –  Battle Creek, MIMarch 23, 2017
Steak N Shake is a wonderful place to work and eat. the management cares about their employees and help them out during hard times. im still in good standings with my old management team
Pros
if your hungry they will feed u, vary helpful when asking for vacation time
Cons
i dont know
An okay establishment. Could use better management & advancement.
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Hazelwood, MOMarch 23, 2017
I have been here for almost 3 years & I currently make $8.50/hr which is pretty sad considering all of the time and hard work I have put in. Management is on average terrible and we are always short staffed so on a typical workday, Its only me & 1 or 2 other employees working on the line the entire day while management sits in the back & does nothing. Its a slap in the face because I have been there so long and all of the new hires come along and get a starting pay which is the same as my current pay. I have only had one raise in 3 years. Management wants me to train everyone when I don't get paid to do so.
Pros
A good job for teenagers
Cons
No advancment, favortism, Push over managers, Too many teenagers.
Fountain Operator (Former Employee) –  Davie, FLMarch 23, 2017
Steak in shake was an o.k job. Super busy. Felt like we never had enough staff. My managers always left me by myself. Even though that didn't stop me from accomplishing my job it was a little. Harder than usual but i made it threw..
Pros
Get discounts
Cons
No free water
One of the worst jobs
Manager (Former Employee) –  Cape Coral, FLMarch 22, 2017
I would never go back to or recomend this job to anyone. Upper management is none responsive in any circumstance. No one (not even management) wanted to work.
Busy busy busy but in a Good way
Drive Thru Operator (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIMarch 22, 2017
I loved working here it kept me busy and my team mates rocked we all worked hard and my managers was so supportive we got things done and we had a lot of Happy customers
Is long as your responsible the job security is there
Manager (Current Employee) –  Frankfort, KY , Georgetown, KY , Elizabethtown, KYMarch 22, 2017
It was a good job for me to start off you g and work my way up. After years of being there you get burnt out. Short staffed and always doing more then just your job.
Friendly staff, decent management
Kitchen Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Broken Arrow, OKMarch 22, 2017
i've worked there for 3 years. I started in service, then moved to kitchen crew. The hours are really flexible and easy to work with. It's good for students still in school.
Pros
50% off food
Cons
only during work hours
A typical day.
Drive Thru Operator (Former Employee) –  Casselberry, FLMarch 21, 2017
I would prepare my work station if it was the morning, or clean up after the previous worker if it was the afternoon or night. Most of my job required taking order through a radio and helping the team organize and prep the food if I didn't have any other orders to take.
Pros
Lunch Breaks, Discounts, and Flexible Hours
Cons
Demands a large amount of awareness.
60+++ hours a week
MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 21, 2017
As a manager for Steak n Shake you can expect to work 60 to 70 hours a week. The salary is competive at 38,500. This is not worth the long overnight shifts sometimes exceeding 13 hours
Typical day at work
Store Manger (Former Employee) –  Munhall, PAMarch 21, 2017
Lead staff for ten hours a day, train new employees, do inventory, do daily deposit.
Handle customer complaints, help staff where it was needed for the day. Run all aspects of the store to the best.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Steak N Shake. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8