Steak N Shake Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,572 reviews matching the search
This Sns was horrible
cashier and hostess (Former Employee) –  Southaven, MSJuly 20, 2016
When I first got hired, I wasn't expecting the things that I did say there. At first, I was nervous and didn't get proper training. I have to taught myself because it was always so busy there was no time to be trained. Anyway, I worked until November and quit. Then I returned back in April, got hired instantly and I instantly regretted. I thought about quitting at least 50 times every time I walked inside the Southaven, MS location.
Pros
easy commute, long hours
Cons
managers sucked, employers steal money and FOOD.
somewhat chaotic workplace
Drive Thru Attendant (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYJuly 18, 2016
I'm going to be honest. I don't care much for the fast food industry, so that may bias my opinion. I did not care for certain management, and some situations I was involved in. I felt there were some individuals that didn't do their job and management looked the other way. I also feel like I carried a lot of that burden on my shoulders in order for others to function properly at the beginning of their shift. I would not work there ever again
Pros
Free lunch during training
Cons
Lazy co workers, incapable management
Poor work environment with bad management.
Dresser (Current Employee) –  Davenport, IAJuly 4, 2016
An average day of work involves making over 60+ burgers and stocking all the food supplies along with ensuring dishes are all done. Management though is extremely poor and unprofessional. Many new hires quit because the work environment is sometimes hostile and the work hours are sometimes unreasonable. I was made to train a new worker after only three weeks of working myself with only one day of actual training. Many co-workers abuse drugs or come to work drunk in order for them to 'function' properly.
Cons
unprofessional co-workers and managers.
Workplace was productive and employees were considerate.
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, ILJuly 23, 2016
An employee will train a newcomer one on one. Each employee knows how to manage each station to it's satisfaction. Work was easily managed and positions were easily covered when needing assistance. The atmosphere among the crew was appreciative and helpful. Equipment and dishware was cleaned regularly and completed at the end of the shift. Overall the workplace excelled in servicing and a hearty staff.
fast paced fun work environment
Patron Service Expert (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILJune 13, 2016
For the most part steak n shake was a good company to work for. There was a lot of money to be made if you could handle the fast paced, high intensity work environment. The only issue was the poor training and lack of professionalism within management. Many days the management team would tell employees not to do something and then they would turn around and do it themselves. There was a high turnover throughout the front and back of the house positions because of poor management and training. I have worked in the restaurant industry for many years so I had a leg up when I started working for the company.
Pros
money
Cons
management & training
It was a great learning expereance
Manager (Current Employee) –  London, KYJune 29, 2016
The pay was what I expected, but the hours were a little more then I had anticipated do to the constant lack of employees. Over all it was a great learning opportunity, and I loved that it was always fast paced. On the other hand it is beginning to affect my home life with the amount of time it does consume. With that being said I have decided to seek out another adventure.
Pros
Fast paced, and friendly enviroment.
Cons
Consumes to much time
Fast-paced all the time.
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAJune 2, 2016
Everything is very fast-paced, it is fast food. I work at the fountain, making the shakes. I get along well with my fellow employees. The hardest part is that it is physically demanding. Our supplies are frozen sometimes. The most enjoyable part is making the shakes look the best for the customers. I have learned that communication is critical in creating a successful business. It has been a wonderful experience to be part of the opening crew for this Steak 'n Shake.
Pros
I get food for half-price during break.
Cons
It is difficult for me to get a break.
Unorganized enviroment
Drive Thru Operator (Former Employee) –  Anderson, INMay 29, 2016
Steak N' Shake in Anderson IN is not a place I would recommend anyone to work at, the employees are rude and unwilling to train. The kitchen area was a mess. people would be assigned to a certain station, and not be there to perform the necessary actions so someone else would have to fill in for them. The managers were rude and no one, including the "trainers" wanted to help the new people with anything, but said no experience was necessary.
Pros
N/A
Cons
Break times were never on time
Good First job
Server/Drive Thru Attendant (Current Employee) –  Clayton, OHMay 26, 2016
I learned everything willingly without being asked. sometimes very busy. We have had so many managers in and out I honestly couldn't keep track. There are a lot of minors and that can be stressful because of breaks. The most enjoyable part would be making the customers happy. Hardest part would have to be not being set up for success and cleaning up after people just because they did not want to complete it.
Pros
fast paced environment
Cons
not the greatest management
worked with employess
Server and Cashier (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILMay 20, 2016
Everyone was very friendly. I enjoyed working with different people. I was nerves at first with a new server job I never tried, but I did get a hang of it and did really well. One of the hardest part about the job were making and remembering how to make a shake. All the shakes are to be made fast and correct so with myself taking orders, sitting customers,making drinks and then making my shakes was a lot at first, but then learning to multi task all and my employees helping me out when needed I was all good to go.

Want to know more about Steak N Shake?

Ask a question
great first job
Server/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLMay 24, 2016
seeing as how this was my first real job this was a great place to start. work was hard but fun. serving guest at a dine in restaurant making sure they are completely satisfied with your hospitality and still giving them that fast paste food service was a challenge but a really fun one. this job keeps you on your toes 80% of the time. Management and staff are like family. hardest part of the job is the recovery of the restaurant.
Fun work environment, unorganized.
Server (Current Employee) –  Carmel, INMay 10, 2016
Some of the stores I've worked at have been great teams and management. A lot of the company however is unorganized. There are a lot of issues with the way it is ran cooperate wide. That being said it is better than some of the other companies I've worked for.
Pros
Service is great if there is business and they mostly work with you and your availability.
Cons
Some of the rules work against employees and management, The paper waste at this restaurant is obnoxious.
Busy and productive workplace
Host (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 7, 2016
A typical day a at Steak N Shake comprised of dish washing, occasional conversations with co-workers, greeting guests, cleaning tables, and washing dishes. The hardest part of the job was keeping the workplace clean when the restaurant got busy. This required me to assist the servers by clearing tables so guests could be seated while also washing the dishes and making sure we did bot run out of plates. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people.
Pros
Free soft drinks
Cons
Messy workplace and bad smell
Overall good work experience
Night Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Sevierville, TNMay 5, 2016
A typical day at work is full of hungry people coming in for great food at low prices, it stays extremely busy because of location and the name it has made for itself as a company. The hardest part is also the most enjoyable part, taking care of guest and their needs. It can be hard to please people, not everyone is truly pleaseable, but those that are and have a great experience make the day a little better knowing you have provided a service to them.
Good high school job
Server (Former Employee) –  Hilliard, OHMay 5, 2016
I really enjoyed working at Steak 'n Shake. My responsibilities included seating customers, taking orders, handling money, and cleaning tables. From this I learned, and got a firm grasp on communication and task management skills. My co-workers and managers were all fantastic; if I needed my shift covered or time off I would usually get it. They were also all very willing to help when I was overwhelmed. As for the job itself, I'd say the hardest parts were balancing all the tasks I needed to accomplish when it was busy, but the most enjoyable parts were when the restaurant was empty and my co-workers and myself would talk and joke around.
Pros
I made really good relationships with co-workers and managers
Cons
No breaks if you're 18+
Fun and Energetic Workplace
Server/Drive Through Operator (Current Employee) –  Mount Prospect, ILMay 5, 2016
The workers are nice and full of life they are always helping and doing more to help customers. The management is nice and always helping when it comes to service or cleaning. Hardest part of the job is being alone at some hours of the day when someone can not work, but that does not happen often. Most enjoyable part is the customers and talking them to make there dinner more enjoyable.
Pros
Great Staff, Encouraging Management
Cons
Short Staff
Dont do it
PRODUCTION MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Merritt Island, FLApril 23, 2016
The environment was always very fast paced and there was always something to do we barely had any down time. I loved the people that I worked with BUT the management used their employees at stepping stones to make sure they had their benefits and their checks handed to them. The employees were never put first in the company and many times they were the ones who suffered from last minutes changes. Management tended to start a lot of drama among their staff in order to create entertainment for themselves. Would not recommend this as a place of employment to anyone.
Not the best place to work for but it is a job
Certified Trainer (Former Employee) –  Cumming, GAJune 10, 2016
I was promised advancement but did not receive it. I was told that I needed to do the things that a manager was supposed to do. I was just a trainer, but was expected to do things a manager was supposed to take care of. I thank my manager for the opportunity but I do not appreciate how they treated me.
Pros
hours
Cons
Have to go far beyond the job description
interesting first job
Server (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 25, 2016
I learned how to deal with a lot of outrage customers on my own. I really liked working first shift because they knew how to display teamwork on and off the clock. The worst part of the job was when I went to third shift and there wasn't enough people on the clock. I love the fact that the general manager was about his business and had the control of things while he was on the clock. I really liked my first job. It gave me a big reality check.
Nobody cares about their job, everyone knows service is poor
Server (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLApril 19, 2016
They don't train new employees very well and management doesn't try to help. You can only get help from your co workers if they like you. The 4 dollar menu screws over every servers tips because of how cheap everyone is. The best you'll ever do on a table is 5 bucks, the average is $2
Pros
Free milkshakes if nobody claims them, everybody smokes weed, deliciously greasy food
Cons
Constantly changing schedule, nobody's happy, poor training

2.8