Steel America Employee Reviews

Shipyard that can barely stay afloat riding on the backs of its employees.
Welder (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 23, 2016
I was lucky enough to be contracted to another shop so I wasn't subjected to the daily over bearing and under appreciated work conditions. The management does not value their employees opinions.
Pros
I got as much overtime as I could handle.
Cons
No paid holidays. No opportunity for advancement.
Productive work place great managers
Norfolk, Va Supervisor Chris Chapman (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 11, 2016
Very great place to work . Always new challenges . It's interesting working on military ships and submarines . Would encourage anyone that lives in there area to apply for work . .
To many bosses
Welder (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJanuary 3, 2016
the Spanish is slowly taking over when I work there my leadman who Spanish to me didn't like blacks or black women and he claim that I was boring tools from everyone but the true is he was boring all my tool and also try to steal my air tools
Pros
It ok until you fine something better
Cons
Not a safe place to work
bad
welder (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAJune 23, 2014
bad place bad maangement bad enviroment didnt follow through with any kind of commitments
bad
Productive environment with chances for growth and advancement.
machinist's apprentice (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMarch 7, 2014
On a typical day I am responsible for the cleanliness and organization of the entire machine shop, including all machines, work surfaces, and floors. I am also responsible for unloading all deliveries, whether it be by forklift or crane. Any cutting, grinding, or deburring of metal before or after the machinist makes their product is my responsibility. Anything that comes up that the machinist doesn't have time to do is my responsibility.
Pros
Learn new skills every day
Cons
low pay and over 20 miles away
Productive place to work
Material Assistant Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 17, 2012
I have learned a lot working at Steel America, I have learned types of steel, thickness of steel, how to measure steel, how to operate CostPoint, etc. My co-workers are absolutely amazing, I couldnt as for better co-workers.
A good place to start welding, Not a place to if you want a career.
Welder helper (Former Employee) –  Norfolk,VAJune 23, 2012
A typical at steel america come in 30 min before the horn punch your time card get your welding supplies then go find a welding machine and set up your work station. I knew how to weld but i didn't have any welding certifications i received two welding certifications as i was their but no welding card to say so.their were to many bosses at steel america. the hardest part about the job is all of the bosses.the most enjoyable part of the job was the co-workers you will meet all types of different people.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
all of the bosses

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Steel America. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9