Steel Warehouse Employee Reviews

Terrible Company
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INJanuary 13, 2017
No loyalty to employees.

No work life balance.

You are an object to be exploited.

Be smart and look at better companies.

Poor Compensation.

Be prepared to be stabbed in the back.

Terrible company culture.
Cons
Terrible Owners and Managers
Great Place to Work
IT Department (Current Employee) –  South Bend, INJune 8, 2016
I have never worked for a company that was so in tune and concerned with their employee's family life as well as their work. The owners and managers at Steel Warehouse seem to truly grasp the fact that work is only a portion of a person's life, and work to balance that with employment requirements. I have honestly enjoyed my employment here and am eternally grateful for all of the help, support and understanding I received from management and staff through some pretty trying personal times.
Pros
Flexible, good pay, good benefits, great people
Cons
not as much advancement opportunity for women
Cheap and unsafe
Mill Operator (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHDecember 7, 2016
My experience with Steel Warehouse was mostly negative. Their business plan, at least in Cleveland, is to hire inexperienced people in order to pay then well under the industry average. Bad management all the way around. I'll be surprised if the Cleveland plant makes it to 2020.
Pros
Close knit, promotes from within
Cons
Unsafe, faulty equipment, under average pay, poor leadership
A good palce to work
Operator (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJanuary 3, 2017
I enjoyed the money the job brought with it It was a real learning experience. operating cranes overhead and being responsible for shipping out various products
Good job
Powder Painter (Former Employee) –  Conway, ARNovember 22, 2015
Good working environment, co work easy to get along with. Long hours and a lot heavy lifting. I learn how to powder paint and good quality control.
Pros
Good healthcare and vac. time off.
Cons
Long gaps between raise and no promotion
Plasma operator
Plasma Operator (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNNovember 9, 2015
read jobs. program machine to cut accurately. use the crane to move parts. pack and load parts for shipping. great coworkers. must use critical thinking skills and detail oriented.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
part time during slow period
Love it
Fork-lift operator (Former Employee) –  Rock Island, ILAugust 4, 2016
i would go in at 4 and work until 1 pm and start my cleaning the offices then on to the shop and sweep and empty the trash. My hardest part of the job was banding. Meet some good people. The people.
Pros
great benefit package
Cons
layoff
Horrible
Macine Operator (Former Employee) –  Rock Island, ILJune 3, 2016
Worse place I ever worked, horrible management, no supervision, would not recommend,. Workers would be sleeping on corner pallets and foremen uninvolved
Good Company Poor Leadership
Human Resources Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calvert, ALApril 22, 2014
Good working hours. Learned a lot of skill in regards to the steel industry. Very very poor management and administration from the director of operations to plant manager . Very clicked up and corrupt. Very nice coworkers overall. Unfortunately there was very discriminatory hostile workplace atmosphere that was ALLOWED. The hardest part of the job was dealing with a manager who could never be assisted in making decisions or advancing the mission for the plant. The most enjoyable part was the pay.
Pros
10% match on 401 K
Cons
Discriminatory hostile work enviornment.
Watch your back
Invoice Coordinator, Steel Purchasing A/P (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INMay 20, 2013
In any position, you have to watch your back. Other employees will throw you under the bus or walk up your back on their way to advancement. Managers are known to fire entire department that they are promoted to lead.
Good work Horrible management
Laser Operation Technician (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INDecember 22, 2014
The work is good and steady most of the time. Learned a lot throughout employment, however the professionalism and the method of drafting management off the floor without having any skills is a drastic need for improvement.
Cons
Horrible management with no vision
well maintained and safe enviroment
Shipping Clerk (Current Employee) –  Rock Island, ILMarch 12, 2013
gathering of finished goods and preparing them for shipment. writing bill of lading and scheduling pick-up
how to deal with different trucking companies and which 1 suits the most cost effective for my company
easy going as long as you handle your responsebilities in a timely and cost reduction fashion
pleasant group of guys to work with
getting trucks in on our scheduled time for shipment
when we hit our shipping goals with no errors
Educational environment and family friendly
Account Manager to Deere &Company (Current Employee) –  Rock Island, ILJune 15, 2012
Every day is a new experience regarding steel capabilities, new specs, changing specs, new mills, etc. It is a place that gives you an opportunity to learn each day about something related to product and the industry. The company is family owned, so everyone here feels like part of your family. One of my most enjoyable parts of my day is working with my co-workers.
Productive work place.
Certified Crane and Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNMarch 14, 2013
Very good job with great management.Mangers were down to earth and were always willing to help.
Pros
good hours
Cons
kind of dangerous
Productive and fast pace rough enviroment
Utility Operator (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INMay 23, 2013
Tough job not for the weak. Must have a feel for heavy machinery there is plenty to learn from math to truck driving. These job might require team effort at times so you get to know people pretty fast. The hardest part of he job is work people tend to enjoy that it makes the day go by faster.
Great place to work for
Materials Assignment (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJune 23, 2015
At steel warehouse, you get to learn the steel industry. The company is a family oriented business. They truly care about their employees.
Pros
lots of incentatives for the employees
Cons
No cons
working for steel warehouse
Traffic Manager (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHApril 23, 2012
good place to work , Management needs a little work to solve high turn over of hourly employees
Pros
nice place to work
Cons
poor management
good place
Machine operator/Crane and forklift operator (Former Employee) –  Portage, INAugust 13, 2014
nice people. nice work enviroment. learn alot of stuff. management sucks. union blows
Pros
people
Cons
management
Good company to have worked with.
Employment History Maintenance Helper (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INJuly 19, 2012
Steel warehouse is very good company to have worked for. I learned many skilles and trades there. My co-workers were the best to have worked with. I loved my job there but the hardest part of my job was when i left the company to relocate.
Not my Best Job
Industrial Maintenance Planner (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNMarch 7, 2013
While the company sounds like a great place to work as a whole, there were a lot of safety issues that were being overlooked, the medical was not very good, the labor to break ratio did not meet the company policy.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Steel Warehouse. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8