STEELCASE, INC Employee Reviews in United States

Agreat place to work
Distribution Planner (Former Employee) –  Athens, ALOctober 27, 2015
Steelcase is a good manufacturing company to work for. The pay is descent, the benefits are good, and the 401 retirement is good.
Pros
Cons
Large corporations can be rigid
Steelcase was a good company.
Auditor, Warehouse Supervisor, Expediter (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIAugust 18, 2015
Steelcase in the 80's and 90's was a good place to work for, changes were made in the late 90's that changed how many employees lived their lives, not for the better.
Was a solid company that you wanted to work for.
Direct Sell Representative (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJune 12, 2015
I worked as in the GSA area selling directly to US Government locations throughout the world, as well as local and state government agencies. The highlight was a Project at the US Embassy in Baghdad during the US occupation.
Great local global company to work for!
Manager, Health, Safety and Disability Mgt (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 23, 2015
I have worked at Steelase for 16 years. I feel very fortunate to have started my family while I worked for Steelcase. They have been very accommodating with my work/life balance needs.
no advancement and poor culture
Material Handler - Temporary through Manpower (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 6, 2015
general lack of advancement options unless you have family connects with lots of years. Has a good old boy club setting, old timers protect old timers while the new do all the work loads.
Cons
poor culture, good old boys club mentality
Fun workplace
Manpower Industrial Lead at the RDC/KWE/CCS (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIFebruary 24, 2015
Typical day begins with attendance taking and interacting with the Associates.

I learn the product flow for wood products

Management is very helpful.

Co-workers are team oriented.

Hardest part of the job is releasing Associates

The common goal.
Pros
team work
Cons
tracking associates
Productive and fun workplace
Test Engineer (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIFebruary 9, 2015
Evaluate Steelcase products and components to environmental extremes that simulate conditions that could be encountered in shipping and after installation. Test complete shipping unit's ability to withstand shock hazards that occur in typical Steelcase distribution environments per Engineering Specifications. All data obtained is used to produce test reports that support the compliance and or failure of a specific product or component.
Great company to work for!
Procurement (Former Employee) –  High Point, NCJune 5, 2014
My experience working for Steelcase was a positive one. They are a progressive organization focusing on Lean Manufacturing, Green processes and first and foremost, a positive customer experience. I would recommend this company to anyone looking for a chance to advance in the furniture manufacturing world.
Pros
great chances for advancement.
Temporary Worker at Steelcase
Paint Sprayer (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMay 22, 2014
A typical day was 12 hours and my position was as a touchup sprayer in the Desk Plant paint department.
I was also called upon to give breaks during downtime on the line, and to assist booth-cleaners after production.
The hardest part of the job was booth-cleaning, which required removing filters, lining paper and striping and replacing latex on the booth walls.
As a temp I had no job security, yet I did work there for 14 months and made friends with the regular employees
Pros
steady work
Cons
not a permanent position
Beautiful contemporary workplace, great cafe
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMay 5, 2014
Business casual atmosphere. Competitive culture. Great location. Supervisor and HR services are very good; co-workers mostly unpleasant.
Pros
good parking, nice furniture
Cons
no room for advancement
Machine Operator
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 27, 2014
Great company to work for but with all there down sizing I was part of it.
Pros
clean work place
Cons
closed due to down sizing
Best place I've ever worked !! I regret leaving every single day !!
Material Planner (Former Employee) –  Athens, ALMarch 28, 2014
Working hours were great....I stayed busy all day long, which made the day fly by. Co-workers were fun.
Pros
lunchroom on site
Cons
material manager slow to make decisions...
I love working there and I learned a lot
Supervisor, Retrofit Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 14, 2014
Work off a schedule, maintain quality, shipping, product,paint-line I had to manage 3 different areas;

Responsible for scheduling and orientation of new faculty, maintain and advocate corporate core values
Able to facilitate individual duties while encouraging teamwork concepts, and provide departmental support
Assists in implementation or projects, goals, and assist in evaluation and recommendation of staff issues
Doing team monthly reviews and daily T&A (Time and Attendance)

What I learned/treat people with respect they will work hard for you
Management/great with a little of the (good oh boys)
Co-workers/ helpful and learned a lot from
The hardest part of the job/ N/A
The most enjoyable part of the job/ each day were different

The Overall rating is 5 stars, and for some reason it's not letting me put 5 stars
Excellent place to work.
Sr. Project Manager, E-Business (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIOctober 28, 2013
Plenty of opportunity to excel at Steelcase. Management team is solid and assists you in mapping out and meeting career goals.
Challenging, creative and interesting workplace environment
Web Applications Engineer (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIAugust 27, 2013
A great place to work. Presents individual personal challenges to grow and learn. The rest is up to you. I spent 23 plus yrs. there going from basic manufacturing into IT, learning a whole new way of business process and understanding the challenges and changes from basic floor operations to management.
Pros
challenging, creative and interesting workplace, a chance to grow and learn and make a good living.
Cons
changing buisiness environment, business is slow, groth is not what it was.
Challaging, fast-paced workplace-daily opportunities to excel existed daily
Materials Department Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXJuly 9, 2013
As a Materials Supervisor, daily I monitored my employees in their duties of servicing, stocking, and maintaining inventory items for the production teams. We practices Lean Management Systems. During my 30 year career, I learned how to work with other departments interdependantly, whlie taking care of my departments needs, observing/maintain company goals, and working toward being a change agent within my company. i had developed a very strong relationship with my co-workers and have always felt as a negotiater of all and any situations that might come up, whether conflict resolution or inventory resolution. The hardest part of the job was maintaining a positive attitude while working through a plant closure, which meant making sure my employees accomplished daily, weekely goals, and keeping their morale at its top level to hold and continue a win-win situation at all times. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting daily/weekly goals and knowing that my superiors and co-workers could always depend on me and my teams to deliver the best workplace solutions .
Pros
sustainability, hard work, developing meaningful relationships
Cons
dealing with the ramifications of managing a plant closure.
Employees got along great!!! No jeolousy.
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Athens, AL.March 8, 2013
Just plain fun! Everybody making good money. Work getting done. Nice management. Not a hard job at all. Most enjoyable part of the day, lunch break. Too many comedians!!!
Pros
exellent cafeteria and employee treatment.
Cons
long drive from where i lived.
100 year old company
Product Inventory Control Production Analyst (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIFebruary 17, 2013
Manufacture office furniture.
Very good co-workers.
I think they use a lot of "temps" now
Data Center Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CANovember 20, 2012
Steelcae Inc. is rated one of the best places to work for,and I agree. I worked there for over 21 years,and enjoyed every minute of it.Unfortunately due to the bad economy the west coast division was relocated back to Michigan,and parts to Mexico.
Extremely family oriented - Flex time is awesome
Quality Rep. (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIAugust 31, 2011
All departments are excellent to work for, it simply depends on the manager you're assigned too. They can either make your 'work life' miserable, or a pure joy to get up each morning and go to work. Overall, Steelcase, is one of the best companies to work for in the U.S. But like many companies in Michigan, they have been consistenly downsizing since 2001. With that said, no job at Steelcase or in the state of Michigan is secure. It was the best place I have ever worked in my career.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at STEELCASE, INC. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2