Steelcase Inc Employee Reviews

wonderful place to work for
Material Planner/Buyer (Current Employee) –  High Point, NCMarch 11, 2016
Great place and people to work with. Growth potential, great benefits and family oriented. I had the privlege of working with a great team. We became a great work family. Comfortable work environment and salary.
Pros
Growth potential and salary
Cons
job moving overseas
Productive Work Performance
Area Representative (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 27, 2015
The culture of the company is great. Very much team oriented where your preformance depends of the rest of the team.The only reason why I am looking for a change is because I would like to change into HR field. Working with so many HR leaders I gain tremendous amout of interest in HR.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
low pay
Dusty
Loader/Unloader (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 15, 2015
Working here was probably one of my best learning experiences, I did not work here long because I had troubles with transportation. This was one of my first real jobs but I do remember it being very dusty.
Pros
Dust, Heat, Heaving lifting
Cons
Good pay
Great place to work. I just need a change.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 20, 2015
Managing a global security department is full of challenges every day. I may be making decision that help mitigate risk to employees who travel in high risk locations like Mexico or India, ensuring the safety of executive staff, conducting high level investigations, or designing fire and security systems for any of our facilities around the world.

I have nothing in common with the Maytag repairman!! I love being busy and very active, mentoring employees, using a team approach to problem solving and providing superior customer service.

Working with employees to address performance related issues can be challenging, but often this can be the most rewarding work when you see your efforts pay off when the employees performance improves.
Pros
Global focus.
Cons
Super employees, great relationships.
i injoy working at steelcase
Special Welder (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIFebruary 7, 2015
I started at 5am I got my orders set up the welder and started running took parts and tag the parts and take the parts to paint
Pros
good place to work
Cons
a lot of hr
Awesome place to work, they really care about there employees.
CMM Programmer (Former Employee) –  Athens, ALJanuary 13, 2015
The sky was the limit at Steelcase..... They give plenty of opportunity
to advance and grow.
Pros
chance to grow
Cons
could not relocate
Great company!
SPS Lean Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GaDecember 31, 2014
Steelcase cares for its employees providing opportunities for growth and development.
Pros
strong company
Cons
locations
Good people to work with
Manufacturing Order Specialist (Former Employee) –  Athens ALNovember 17, 2014
Steelcase was down sizeing all its locations. Layffs going on and replacing with all temp workers left a bad feeling with its employees. Was once one of the best companies around to work for.
productive workplace fun and caring people
Level 3 Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 6, 2014
I learned how to take charge,how to become a better leader it help me get ready for better opportunities
Good place to work if you live in Athens, AL
Operator of manufacturing machine (Current Employee) –  Athens, ALSeptember 2, 2014
*hours were too shifty for full time employment. One work week would be 5 days, while the next would would be 3 or 4 days.
*Management was poor. From bluntly ignoring you to only doing things that benefit them. Etc.
*Felt like highschool

*It is your typical factory job, but when work came down to 3 to maybe 5 days a week my last 4 months of employment, it was not paying the bills after insurance, tax and gas.
Pros
great money when they had work
Cons
very stressful place to work
Assemble office furniture
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Athens, ALOctober 1, 2013
It's hot in the summer. A lot of standing and walking. Assembly work.
Assembly Operator (Current Employee) –  Athens, ALJuly 5, 2013
I have the best co workers in the world. i loved my job and the enjoyable part of the job is meeting and being around new people and getting to know one another
Pros
some overtime
Cons
short breaks and not long enough lunches
A day in Steelcase
Verifier (Former Employee) –  Industry, CAMay 22, 2013
When I came in to work at Steelcase we had a safety meeting we streatch. My duty as a verifier was to make sure that me and my team check every furniture came out in good conditions and to sent all the right parts to our paint department.
Productive, fast pace
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMay 8, 2013
A typical day is building file cabinets and bookshelves for 8-10 hours a day. Your co-workers always change so you dont get to know anyone for a long period of time. The hardest part of this job was not knowing your end time for your shift. The most enjoyable part was building atleast 400-600 cases in 10 hours with great co-workers.
Pros
benefits, overtime, nice breaks
Cons
not knowing your end time for every shift
A challenge
Shipping and Receiving Zone Leader (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALApril 15, 2013
There is a need for change management especially at lower levels. Many of the employees have been there too long and are resistant to change. There are some really good people that work for Steelcase Inc. however. Sadly enough, the company has lost some truly dedicated employees that I encountered during my time there.
Pros
solid company with good benefits
Cons
resistance to change at some levels, disgruntle employees
Productive and hard working environment
Truck Unloader (Former Employee) –  Athens, ALFebruary 26, 2013
-Long days and long nights
-Learned good communication and advisory skills
-Management was fair
-Worked with great people
-Unloading
-Communicating with co-workers about how to do a certain part of the job
Pros
good friends
Cons
short breaks, tobacco free
A typical job assignment
Skilled Trades Supervisor, Manager (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids other North America sites.February 18, 2013
I do quite a bit of corporate troubleshooting. I had a recent request to investigate and resolve issue related to equipment reliability and associated work histories in order to maintain certification in one of our Model Shops and five of our Testing Laboratories. I researched the certification requirements. Investigated current state, outlined a project plan (resources, time-line etc.). Initiated the plan which is approximately 90% complete. I learned (and I find this to be very typical of such situations) huge communication issues. Lack of understanding of standards and associated processes and procedures. Lack of documented Standard Work, work/performance histories (No methodology to manage the process, quantify performance or trend and analyze process and equipment/system issues). Management in general were very supportive once I was able effectively communicate their current state and the deficiencies and associated solutions that were needed. As is usually the case (from my experience) that the people were qualified and more than willing to do the right thing. After I had a team of Trades people and Technicians bring the equipment back to a point of qualification and instituted standard work and associated training as needed I have no doubt that they will be in a position to autonomously sustain the equipment qualification, associated performance histories and thus their accreditation. I will monitor the process and procedural compliance over the next 6 months, meeting at least every 30 days with the managements staff to provide feedback and provide additional assistance  more... if need be. The hardest part of the job (as is quite typical) was communicating to area management that the heart of the issue was the lack of sufficient management and communication in general. The best part was the amount of cooperation, the will to do the right-thing attitude, and their ability and openness to accept the change that these improvements required.  less
Pros
teamwork that resulted in meeting stated objectives.
Cons
communicating the root cause to management and worker alike.
Steelcase
Quality Assurance Auditor (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 31, 2013
benifits were good pay was good but I worked there back in 1990 the job security was bad because after 12 years of being in company the just sent there work over seas and layed of employees back to 21 years of service so I guess they were not so loyal to the employees but I was able to have a job for 12 years though just wosh I couild still be there making the kind of money they paid back in 1990 through 2002
Pros
good benifits
Cons
laid off no recall
temp job
Mail Clerk (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 31, 2013
this was a temp job

did not really enjoy the experence

but was a good staff and management team

worked in mailroom for 5 months
Pros
free lunch
Cons
temp job
I worked for Steelcase over 27 years.
A/P Specialist (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 21, 2013
I started at Steelcase in 1981 in the payroll department from there I went into the Accounts Payable and Receivable department. The company decided to downsize in 2009 and I retired with honors. I also received a watch for 25 years service. I went back to school and graduated from GRCC in 2012 with my Associates in Business/Office Admin

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Steelcase Inc. Our community is ready to answer.