Steelcase Employee Reviews

Stuck in the past, and incompetent leadership
Global Learning Strategy Lead (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 24, 2017
Steelcase, Inc is stuck in the 'family' mentality. All that matters is who you know, and the only thing valued is tenure. You can be terrible at your job, but if you have been there for 20 years, you are safe.

There is zero accountability for performance, and people are promoted based on how much they complain to senior leadership.

Senior leadership doesn't have a clue, and they require at least 5 people to make any one decision.
Where Good Techies Go To Die
DevOps Engineer (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 22, 2017
Terrible work environment. I was hired as DevOps and was asked by the director how to fix a database testing issue and was told it was too expensive. Company wanted DevOps but management was not committed. I had a health issue while I was there and HR treated me like a liar and a criminal.
a good job after college
Assistant to Senior Finance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMay 11, 2017
I did my internship and worked in two other areas as well while I was at Steelcase Inc. While I worked there Steelcase was seemed very detailed-oriented and deadline driven but things weren't overly stressful.
productive
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Kentwood, MIMay 1, 2017
you do any where from 100 to 200 cabinits a day. i learned to patch wood,put drawers together.management was 100% no complaints mixed culture the hardest was just the heat in the summer.
Pros
you get 3 breaks
Cons
no smoking
Good
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 30, 2017
OK PLACE to work fast paced the people are fun , they always think of there workers and bring food in for there workers to eat pizza barbecue etc. Nice people
productive and good people
Assembly / Interim Supervisor / parts expeditor (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 24, 2017
Good pay, informative supervision. Good training. Great Benefits.
I learned how to be more safety conscious on the job. I held safety meetings for my department as the safety captain. Durning this time I overcame my fear of public speaking.
Pros
benfits and pay
Cons
varing hours
Great environment & culture.
Floater (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 20, 2017
I have been with Steelcase for almost a year an a half. I can say hands down best employer ive ever worked for. not only do they provide work but, allow you to expend your skill set and reach out for more. five stars any day.
Pros
free lunches, Great benefits, etc
Cons
not really any if your open minded to what they offer.
Good work environment
Break Press Operator (Former Employee) –  Kentwood, MI 49512April 20, 2017
During my time at Steelcase, I learned a lot about office furniture manufacturing. I worked on CNC Machines and break press operation. it was a great work enviorment and I worked with awesome co-workers.
Pros
learning how to operate machinery, good work environment
Cons
short breaks, timely machine repairment
Could be better
Assembler (Current Employee) –  Athens, ALApril 18, 2017
Management can be a pain. Hours okay, pay could be better. Be expected to put up with a lot of bull, that has nothing to do with the job you do. Co-workers are pretty nice though.
Pros
Co-workers, full-time
Cons
pay, management
Not a good workplace
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Athens, ALApril 3, 2017
The job is very demanding physically and you work very hard for little pay. The breaks are short and the hours are not enough. You barely get 40 hours a week.
Pros
Cons
short breaks
good benifits and wages
Factory Worker (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 3, 2017
I first started Steelcase was like a big family. It was a great place to work. I ran production in the factory and it was piece work so you learned how smart with your time.
Pros
Benifits and wages
Cons
They began to take more away from the employees. It was like no one cared anymore
Nice place to work with good pay and benefits
Expediter (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 2, 2017
Filling orders and running completed parts to the appropriate areas. I learned LEAN Manufacturing and JUST in time Manufacturing. The hardest part of this job were the hours because it was a hybrid shift and I did not see much of my family. I liked interacting with the different departments.
Pros
The pay
Cons
work life balance
Productive and fun place to work
Powder coating / sprayer (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMarch 22, 2017
They really cared about the employees and showed compassion when you needed personal time they were a comfortable place to work for learned powder coating skills and the team worked really well together
Pros
good place to work
Cons
when the production slowed down
Great Place to Work
Senior Software Assurance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMarch 16, 2017
The company and people are great.
The company culture is great too.
The working environment is the best. The company is very much into an ergonomic work space.
Productive and safe environment to work in
Hi-Lo Driver (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMarch 6, 2017
I enjoyed working here, wasn't a difficult job to obtain and I enjoyed working with my co-workers they were all respectful and easy to work and communicate with.
Not a happy environment
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMarch 6, 2017
As a sophomore in college I did not like working at Steel Case the only perk was the pay. Co-workers were never in a good mood the whole environment of the place was gloomy. I do not think I saw anyone smile while I worked there for the summer. It taught me that I should get a degree and make sure I never work in a factory again.
Good Company
Set up lead man (Former Employee) –  Dutton, MIMarch 1, 2017
Steelcase was a great company to work for and I left to start my own business. Without the opportunities that Steelcase afforded me I would not have had this chance.
Pros
Compensation and advancement
Strong lean environment
Manufacturing Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIFebruary 25, 2017
Work place culture, lean manufacturing.
Hardest part was getting people to change.
Learned about change management and how lean impacts the job and the culture of the organzation
Pros
Good compensation
Cons
Public company changed its culture
Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Athens, ALFebruary 23, 2017
Loading trucks from front to back by hand. Lots of material go on the inside of the box trailers. Gathering the proper tags to be giving to the shipping lead
They do not seem to care about their employees anymore!
DISTRIBUTION SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIFebruary 20, 2017
Steelcase Inc. is a very different company since they went public in 1998. It seems the company is more about the $$$$$$ than keeping loyal employees. They have taken away everything that kept the employees loyal and happy.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Steelcase. Our community is ready to answer.