Steelcase Employee Reviews

Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Athens, ALFebruary 23, 2017
Loading trucks from front to back by hand. Lots of material go on the inside of the box trailers. Gathering the proper tags to be giving to the shipping lead
They do not seem to care about their employees anymore!
DISTRIBUTION SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIFebruary 20, 2017
Steelcase Inc. is a very different company since they went public in 1998. It seems the company is more about the $$$$$$ than keeping loyal employees. They have taken away everything that kept the employees loyal and happy.
great benefits and pay
Line Operator (Current Employee) –  Kentwood, MIFebruary 18, 2017
this job helped me to realize that IT is my chosen field. i am currently on the black line, hoping to advance into the IT department
productive fast paced
Press Operator (Former Employee) –  Athens, ALFebruary 9, 2017
I was a press operator and laser operator for 5 years. Left due to family emergency. Was a fun and great place to work. everyone worked as a team which made it a fun place to work.
Steelcase was an excellent Employer
Operations Superintendent and Communications (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIFebruary 2, 2017
A grand institution in the glory days of Office Furniture - Steelcase provided and enjoyed an excellent team environment, great pay and benefits, value-adding work and provisions literally to the world of work. It was a great experience working my way up from Production to Quality Assurance and Management, Communication, World Class Performance and eventually VP level.
great place to work
Forklift Driver (Former Employee) –  Walnut, CAJanuary 31, 2017
this was the best place i ever worked who ever know makeing office equipment could be so fun . yes times could get crazy but that when your time comes together to over come the problems .
Press Operator (Former Employee) –  Athens, ALJanuary 31, 2017
The typical day is what you would expect in a factory, come in to start your shift and leave when it is over. The overall job was not difficult and the people were fun to be around. Management, for the most part, was pretty good and easy to get along with which is always nice.
Productive and fun workplace with still case
Manufacturing (Former Employee) –  Athens, ALJanuary 30, 2017
I really enjoyed working there I just could not drive the hours everyday using up all the gas good people good supervisors everybody that works there was polite and willing to help when it was needed manufacturing line work was the main thing we done
Good Benefits package but Bad Management
Line Worker (Current Employee) –  Athens, ALJanuary 25, 2017
Steelcase, in theory, should be a great place to work. Some of the plant has three shifts and the Benefits package is amazing. It has full Health, Dental, and Vision insurance along with a 401k retirement package and two weeks paid vacation every year. That is where the niceness ends.
A typical day at work (for me) involves arriving at 6am to discover a completely unprepared work area that is not ready for the day. We have no materials, multiple machines are broken down, and half the team members are late or have called in because they stubbed their toe the night before.
This is the hardest part of the job...carrying the team. Management could act on it. They have the data. They know what the competent people deal with every day. They just don't care. It creates a negative work culture and it teaches people to simply not care about their job...which only increases the problems.
In truth, I'm sure not all of the plant is like this. I can only speak for what I've seen and this is truly all I've seen.
Pros
Benefits package
Cons
Bad decision making, negative work culture
Horrible
Unload trucks (Former Employee) –  Puyallup, WAJanuary 24, 2017
This is the worst job I have ever been at they lied about my pay the job was awful the break are short and co-workers all seemed very unhappy.the let 2 people go the first 2 days I was there management is a complete joke
Good pay, good benefits
Lead Quality over special production projects (Former Employee) –  Kentwood, MIJanuary 16, 2017
I loved working for steel-case. I had lots of opportunities with this employer. I was able to receive leadership opportunities. I really enjoyed working there.
Pros
Great earnings and benefits
Cons
I was laid off along with quite a few others
A good place to work at
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids MichiganJanuary 1, 2017
It was a good place to work for starting there at such a young age making very good money great benefits awesome 401k I was fortunate to work around good people
Pros
Good pay/ serve hot lunch
Cons
Short breaks
productive most days
production/press operator (Current Employee) –  athens,alDecember 28, 2016
Takes too long to get hired in, paint line is not in order, zone leaders not doing their job. Very stressful place to work. Could use longer breaks in the summertime
Cons
short breaks, takes too long to get hired
Its not horrible.
Putaway Driver (Current Employee) –  South Fulton, TNDecember 21, 2016
The company isn't bad just some of the management you have to deal with inn my plant plus the hours are never set and can always change so not very much planning.
Pros
Having a job
Cons
never being home, no union in the south
People are fun
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIDecember 21, 2016
Not the same Steelcase of the past. They no longer care about there people its all about the money. The turn over in management is crazy.
Excellent Culture
Product Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIDecember 16, 2016
Working at Steelcase was an exceptional experience. They are generous with employees in every way and create a wonderful culture balancing excellence with grace.
Pros
Opportunity for advancement
good place to work
Warehouse Worker/hilo driver (Current Employee) –  Ontario, CADecember 16, 2016
During my time here I have learned many things and have had a good time working with no problems. Only problem is I would like to expand my knowledge and grow work wise, I feel like I would like to challenge my self in another job with or without a higher position.
Great grow opportunities
Zl (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIDecember 15, 2016
The negative reviews you see on here about no job advancement are people you just don't put in the effort to grow. If you work hard and continue to network people notice and are more than willing to help you grow within the company. People expect to just be handed better opportunities and I don't know any company that does that. I came into steelcase two years ago in one of the plants and with hard word and a ton of networking I got a great job at headquarters. Management loves to see people who want to grow and continue to learn. I can't say enough about the help I have gotten from many high level leaders. They have taken the time to mentor me and push me to continue to grow. I am someone who never finished college but if you work hard and prove you want to learn they will help you grow. Benefits are decent, bonuses have been great, and vacation time is great. I have had many opportunities to leave for other jobs since I started working at steelcase where the pay would have been better but the opportunity to grow and the people here make me want to stay.
Pros
People wanting to help you learn and grow
Typical work environment
SAP FICO Consultant (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIDecember 14, 2016
During a typical work week, one of my biggest tasks is checking in on my staff and assessing their progress on various projects. I like to meet first thing on Monday to discuss our priorities for the week, then meet again in the middle of the week to check progress, and meet once at the end of the week to discuss goal setting for the next week. I meet with smaller groups of my staff during the middle of the week to troubleshoot any issues.The hardest part is when we cant find solutions to configuration problems. Here we seek solution from senior consultants.The most enjoyable part of the job is that every Fridays we meet after work to share personal moments and catch fun.
Its ok
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Kentwood, MIDecember 9, 2016
The company pays well but forces 9 to 10 hours a day everyday. Management is ok but they don't care about their workers much and they pretty much drive you into the ground with hours. Unless you get first which does 8 to 9 with saturdays.
Pros
Decent pay and insurance
Cons
10 mins breaks, long days with nothing you can do about it

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Steelcase. Our community is ready to answer.

80%