Steelcase Employee Reviews in United States

What Do You Sit On At Work?
HR Internship (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMarch 20, 2016
Steelcase is change the way that people think about office furniture and how we work as a whole. Working at Steelcase has been a great internship experience because of the work that I was able to contribute is recognized and benefits the company all together. I also was able to learn about new trends that are appearing within the workplace pertaining to one's work style. After this internship has ended I can honestly say that I am never going to look at a desk or chair the same way. Thanks Steelcase!
Pros
Great work-life balance!
Cons
N/A
Was looking for more
Production Line Manager (Former Employee) –  Kentwood, MIFebruary 12, 2016
Great company to work for.Management was always great and i very much appreciated being part of the Steelcase team.A typical day consisted of creating a certain amount of quality office furniture in an allotted amount of time. The hardest part of the job was often meeting these numbers, especially when the production line was short-handed. The most enjoyable part was seeing the line meet these numbers with outstanding quality faster than the allotted time slot.

What i learned from this experience was how to deal with different kinds of people and their personalities. I also learned how to program myself into a routine of continuous repetition for long periods of time while not losing focus.
Pros
Decent pay, Weekends off (most of the time), Consistent work environment, employees easy to get along with, paperwork wasn't difficult
Cons
Inconsistent hours, Little opportunity for growth, did not feel that i was reaching my full potential, one individual could slow the entire line down
Leadership has no idea what they are doing
Manufacturing Support Technician / Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Kentwood, MIAugust 3, 2016
Mid level management hiring zone leaders that have little to no leadership experience. This is not an opinion this was told to me directly by the Team Lead Supervisor (who is over all the team leads). Team leads do not have to have any leadership experience to get hired -from the outside. Team leads are rarely to never hired from inside the company. 100% turnover in the area I started in. Somebody goofed in top level management and made someone a shift supervisor that does not know anything about caring for morale. I like to say this "supervisor" is 'oblivious to the human condition.'
Pros
pay is good if you can manage to stay around long enough
Cons
Mid level and new team leads have their heads where the sun don't shine
A great place to retire from...
Expediter (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJune 7, 2016
...because you won't get fired. Hours are regular, pay is a living wage, there is a nearly-guaranteed bonus at the end of the fiscal year, and the company offers a wide range of benefits and perks. However, management is glacial about adapting to problems, and despite multiple metrics in place (that time is spent on collecting regularly) there is almost no accountability for underperforming employees at any level, leaving the few to overcome the inaction of the many. Almost all decisions are based on seniority, and there are no official performance reviews to affect raises or the like.
Sr. Exec. Assistant
Sr. Exec. Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wood Plant most recentlyJanuary 24, 2016
travel arrangements
calendar management
office supplies
filing
typing
expense reports
office equipment maintenance
meeting planning

In 27 years at Steelcase, management was great and so were my co-workers.

The hardest part of my job was when I had to plan events for the entire plant of 600 people.

The most enjoyable part of my day was interacting with all of the employees.
Pros
Being around lots of people.
Cons
Reconciling expense reports for people that didn't give you all of the information that you needed.
Good company, needs improved leadership outside of Michigan.
Materials Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Athens, ALAugust 11, 2015
Good company with good core values. Poor execution following the core values at the Athens, AL. location. Typical hierarchy pecking order based on favoritism instead of qualifications and accomplishments. Great internal tools and systems in place to create the culture that Steelcase wants, but poor management and execution renders them mute. No climate control makes for a miserable production environment.
Pros
Decent pay for the work required.
Cons
Poor Insurance and hot work environment.
Great balance to the home and work life experience
Sales Resource Development Intern (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJune 28, 2016
An excellent job culture that allows you to balance the home and work life. Everything will even out in the end. Wouldn't have asked for a better internship experience in the corporate work. I learned how to manage my people skills and interact with those cross departmentally.
Furniture manufacture
MODEL MAKER, FIXTURE MACHINE BUILDER. (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIFebruary 2, 2016
Great company, great benefits, great people. Able to advance and learn new skills. I was certified in Model Making and Fixture and Machine Building, coming out of production - assembly.
Productive and fun workplace
Barista (Current Employee) –  Kentwood, MIJuly 21, 2016
I would come in and give co-worker a break, I would next stock things in between customers. When having customers, I would either ring them up for a snack, pastry, or beverage, if not one of those items, I would make them a Starbucks coffee drink.
Fun and Prodctuive
Temporary Assignment (Former Employee) –  High Point, NCFebruary 2, 2016
* easy shift
* short days
* easy going
* rigid working co-workers
* nice management
* easy to maintain
* a typical day at work resolved me loading trucks all day.

Want to know more about Steelcase?

Ask a question
Atmosphere of an industry leader
Zone Leader (Current Employee) –  Caledonia, MIDecember 30, 2015
To be involved with an industry leading company is to be part of an intense environment. Every day is a constant challenge to improve yourself and others, while meeting the high corporate production standard. To achieve a near perfect schedule completion on a constant basis takes a high level of teamwork and accountability. The expectation of excellence is never compromised or lowered, for this reason finding time to work with others to install improvements is ideal. Also strengthening the talent of your immediate team members is just as important to obtain goals. As a manager when you lose site of any aspect of being a true leader rough days soon follow. On the other hand when you stay focused on the principles of LEAN manufacturing leadership the achievements are very fulfilling.
Pros
Free lunches, corporate discounts, corporate events
Cons
short breaks, long days, few holidays, extreme hours
Awsome job so much growth
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIAugust 9, 2016
Great staff
Lots of goals
Task and rewards
Breaks were great
Raises for hard work
Hiring was quick
Supervisors was great fun honest
Training was the best
Relaxed work
Zone Leader/Materials Management (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMay 18, 2016
The plant is very relaxed and laid back. The job security is good and the time off is great, but the opportunities are limited and the pay is so so.
Pros
Time off
Cons
Pay is average or below
Productive and very great environment to work in
Frame Builder (Former Employee) –  High Point, NCFebruary 22, 2016
A typical day at work is just a regular day. My job is very enjoyable and the environment I work in is very friendly. I learned a lot at Steelcase Inc. I learned how to build frames, work with people, and express myself. My co-workers were very helpful and understanding.
Pros
Free gym
Falsehood of job security and mismanagement
Unloader/Loader (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 20, 2016
From the time you start off in the warehouse, the imagery of a promising employment there is not so much in reach. Being very grateful for the opportunity in which to work for any company is my outlook. I tried daily to enjoy my job and do as I was told to do.
But the lack of training throughout the building is so broad, their function and structure solely relies on the workers to know things on the fly. From the HR office at the facility, to the supervisor on the floor monitoring the continuous work of both loaders/unloaders. The lack of training is exposed simply because the facility doesn't take the proper time to accurately train and bring the employees to speed properly. Like I stated earlier. I'm grateful for any and every opportunity that I receive from any employer, but of course I do believe in fair treatment across the board in regards to employment in any organization. It may be different from an corporate stand point in that company but a deep regard to the treatment of every employee should be considered. Also, the biggest concern of mine really came from HR not getting things done and taken care of in a timely manner.
Unprofessional
Warehouse Lead (Current Employee) –  Ontario, CAJanuary 4, 2016
Really don't have much to say, not a place I care to work at any longer. Upper Management needs more training on how to communicate with their teams.
Strongest Office Furnishings Company
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHApril 27, 2016
Strength in manufacturing and marketing and research and development. Very good company to be associated. Great opportunities for varied areas of growth.
Work life balance and alternative work schedules!
SPS Lean Leader (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 20, 2016
Awesome place to work, grow, and develop! Always invested in developing their employees and provided opportunities for advancement.
Great place to work for temporary work
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIFebruary 18, 2016
You tend to work about 10 hours a day making around 11$ and hour for summer work. You learn a lot about furniture and business with great and fun co-workers. The hardest part of the job is the boring consistent work, while it is enjoyable to be with the people there and making money.
decent place to start of working plenty of opputunities
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Athens, ALAugust 30, 2015
I work anywhere from 8-9 hours Monday-Friday. I've learn how to operate driving equipment over the last 4 years. Also I've worked on the shipping/receiving docks. Management at Steelcase can be very much improved in my opinion. I enjoy working with my co-workers we help each other out when needed, but at times they're a few that don't carry they're weight. The hardest part of my job is having to find and get product from lines to the docks depending on the lines and work schedule.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Steelcase. Our community is ready to answer.