Stein Mart Employee Reviews

SteinMart
Sales Clerk/Cashier/Shipping and Receiving (Former Employee) –  Gilbert, AZAugust 16, 2017
Handled Returns and Exchanges, shipments, cash drops in safe at the end of the night, assisting customers in finding their size, stocking shelves and pricing products
Pros
50% off shoes
Productive workplace
Sales Associate and Cashier (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAAugust 10, 2017
Overall it's a good place to work, especially if you are a college student or looking for a summer job. Sale days were super busy and the lines would always get long but besides that they give their workers hours.
Balanced work environment
Cashier, Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Commack, NYAugust 10, 2017
Manager are very reasonable. Managers will occasionally buy the whole staff food and acknowledge you for your hard work. I learned plenty of customer service skills. All the employees are friendly. The hardest part of the job would be the customers. Some customers can be very demanding and expect more than what you could provide as a sales associate.
Very tired and boring workplace
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  McKinney, TXAugust 10, 2017
Enjoyable but not a good environment for someone young, a typical day would be working for a while then in the last hour recovering damage doe to the store by customers.
Great first job
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  sunrise, flAugust 10, 2017
You come in and clock in at the break room. No one needs to tell you where to go because you are assigned to a specific department. I worked in the ladies department and I was also a back up cashier. Cashiering is the best position in my opinion because time passes quickly. You will get bored working here. The customers are older people so they can be difficult but as long as you show them respect they wont give you much trouble. I learned how to maintain a store. I learned the ins and outs for merchandising and also customer appreciation. It's a great experience if you haven't worked in retail before and wanna be more involved. Everyone is super tight working there because there is at most 40 people working in one store. I worked in the plantation and deerfield store in florida and both management teams could use some work but overall they were easy enough to get along with. They can be understanding to your problems but also a bit condescending. One manager was very nice but i felt would take things to a personal level quick. The hardest part of the job is the constant recovery. Recovery can be tedious but at least it gives you something to do. The most enjoyable part is the discount. Its a department store so there is all kinds of neat stuff and you get 20 percent off plus they have awesome sales and coupons.
Pros
long breaks, flexible hours, discounts
Cons
low pay, boring
Productive. Great breakroom area.
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCAugust 9, 2017
Great place to work. Friendly oriented. Great job opportunities. Room for advancement. Great benefits. Needs better pay. Employees need to be able to be more creative.
Pros
Nice working enviroment.
Cons
Hours
I enjoyed the teams and job function at Stein Mart.
Buyer (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 9, 2017
The business was good there while I was there, so it was not too stressful. So, overall a good experience for me.
I know their business is tough now, so I believe the morale is lower. But that is understandable in this retail environment. Overall, really good people.
Great company with wonderful people
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Franklin Park, NJAugust 8, 2017
As much as we had to do, I always enjoyed my job interacting with the team and customers. Great company to work for. Each day wee would get notices about different changes that are to be made on the floor, new promos and so forth. The challenge was that we were not always full staffed with employees so every one worked together to achieve company directives. managing schedule in due time so the employees can arrange the time as well ahead. Made sure all the employees were par with company guidelines. The hard part for me is when I had to write someone up following the action. When we have time to laugh together and help each one.
Pros
healthcare and having someone to answer your quetions.
Cons
At times big demands that are not real
loved everyone at steinmart
Lead Manager, Men's Accessories (Former Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCAugust 8, 2017
hard job but working there was fun and exciting. always changing. management team was terrific. loved the customers. lots of employee incentives. great benefits for full and part time employees.
Pros
fun
Cons
physical
No comment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaAugust 7, 2017
Theres really not much to say about working for this company. A typical day here consist of ringing up customers and listening to management pressure you to get credit cards.
Pros
Customers
management issues
Associate (Current Employee) –  OhioAugust 6, 2017
perform multiple jobs without compensating pay. Management will not train associates, falls on low level associates to do the training. Most associates are nice and willing to work.
Strong relationships are formed and you work as a family!
Operations Lead (Current Employee) –  Shenandoah, TXAugust 5, 2017
Stein Mart has a unique brand of customers but a very loyal customer base. As an employee you are trained to personally cater to specific customer needs. This is a wonderful first and a later in life job. You are trained and placed where your specific skills fit the best.
Pros
Everyone works together.
Cons
Healthcare purchase options are expensive.
Customer Service
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Portage, MIAugust 4, 2017
If you like to work with customers and clothing this is the place to be. Hardest part is staying in the position they hire for. I was hired for cashiering and was transferred to work the floor within a week, did not like working the floor and trying to get people to get a credit card so I didn't get reprimanded.
Productive and pleasant place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXAugust 3, 2017
Stein mart is a wonderful place to work for those just getting started or wanting a part time job. I loved interacting with customers and helping them find what they like. It can be a fast pace job at times. There is always a way to be productive in Stein Mart.
Pros
25% off for sales associates
Cons
Limited hours and days to work.
Customer Sales Executive
Customer Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 2, 2017
• Answering customer questions regarding products and services, assisting customers with buying decisions.
• Utilizing Stein Mart's policies, procedures, and merchandising guidelines to drive sales.
• To assist customers in all aspects of service fulfillment by demonstrating proficient use of proprietary devices and applications. Proactively create enhanced shopping experiences through the heightened use of smart devices, on line apps.
• Maintain a professional attitude with sincerity and enthusiasm reflecting commitment to our customers who are the most important person in our stores. .
• Recommending ideas to help store reach all goals and objectives.
Calm work atmosphere.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Venice, FLAugust 1, 2017
I liked the store up to a point with the management. Some of the managers were nice at first but didn't exactly give me a chance to advance or even get better.
Pros
Clean store and area plus flexible hours.
Cons
Management needs improvement.
Great bennefits high stress
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCAugust 1, 2017
Very face passed environment
If you love change and work this is the place to be
The company does however compensate you for your loyalty.
Awesome creative outlet
Great Work/Life Balance for Management.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Dothan, ALJuly 31, 2017
Best retail management job ever. Great work/life balance. Great co-workers and clientele. Nice store environment. Good employee discounts.. additional percentages off a couple times a year. Wonderful mix of merchandise.
Pros
Great store environment. Great work/life balance!
Cons
Magazine solicitation for customers using credit cards..lots of negative feedback from customers.
Operations Lead (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCJuly 29, 2017
Great place to work as long as you have a great manager to go along with it. It's hard to advance with this company. There are alot of great people working here that are stuck in their current position.
IT Specialist (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 26, 2017
Small close knit office, people get along well. Lack of opportunity for advancement. Lack of planning when it comes to new projects. Good environment to work in.
Pros
Small close knit
Cons
Lack of opportunity to advance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Stein Mart. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval