Stein Mart Employee Reviews

Worked there 11 years
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Hattiesburg, MSAugust 29, 2015
Pros: Vacation, Occasional free lunches
Cons: No work life balance, very high expectations with little payroll. Associates have no respect for the management whatsoever
I worked for this company for 11 years. I rode though all the changes and gave a lot of time and effort to this store. This company really does not care about its associates even though it likes to act like it. Be careful when you are dealing with associates in these stores. I was bullied by a fellow associate and it resulted in MY termination. The GM at this store is great however, Her hands were tied by corporate rules.
The work life balance is awful.
I really did learn a lot at this job that I can take on my next journey.
Family environment, Open door policy, supportive managemant team
Sales associate, Area Manager (Former Employee), Virginia Beach VirginiaAugust 27, 2015
Great benefits,Family environment. I was able to advance within the company management always promoted from within.
good place to learn management skills
Assistant Store Manager - Merchandising (Current Employee), Austin, TXAugust 25, 2015
this is a good place to work if you need a part time job or don't really need to work. the workdays are long for management and seem endless. expectations from the company are unreachable most of the time.
its okay but dont get too comfortable
Customer Service Lead/Supervisor (Former Employee), Baton Rouge, LaAugust 25, 2015
Pros: SPIF if you're able to sell that credit card
Cons: messy coworkers, not enough pay, and everybody for themselves
it was okay, comfortable place, mostly unorganized, no one is ever on the same page. the managers cheat you out of your pay. no room for advancement. you can easily get hired, not sure if you would want to stay. no one pulls their own weight . the only thing I enjoy was working in customer service and selling the card. that's the only thing I miss as well
A fun place to work and very uplifting environment.
sales associate and cashier (Former Employee), Shreveport ,LAAugust 24, 2015
Pros: being around people
Cons: short breaks and sometimes no breaks
I enjoyed myself while being a Stein Mart. It was a fun place to work with very supportive employees and managers. Strict about making sure all customers are happy, which was my main concern.
It was a great to learn big box for a large retail store such as Stein Mart.
Customer service / Sales (Former Employee), Altamonte Springs, FLAugust 22, 2015
Pros: We got a 25% discount
Cons: Worked with no Labor
The most Enjoyable part of my job was getting to know our customers by name. Made them feel important, which they are. In retail, labor is always an issue. So you had to play the role of many people Cashier, do your projects with big box, help our customers, while setting up sells, and recovery. I loved seeing my work as I recovered or set up something new in my dept. Others in the store always told me how great it looked. I wish there was more support with the management staff. Other than that it was a great learning experience.
The environment is friendly
Sales Associate (Current Employee), McAllen, TXAugust 15, 2015
Pros: There are some benefits that you can receive, you're always learning something new.
Cons: unprofessional management and not enough pay
tthis is a type of job that is good for someone who is barely putting their feet in the working world. The employees are friendly and helpful, and there is never a time when you're not moving around. I've been working here for over 2 years and my knowledge has grown tremindous. But, my experiences have not been so good working here. There is so much drama and management is not very professional and they're never prepared, they do not keep anything confidential either. They say things that are very hurtful and should never be said, espicially at a work place. Nothing is ever planned accordingly. A lot of pressure gets put on you, at times it is very back-breaking. I work so much and so hard but the pay rate is not sufficient.
why I left
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Current Employee), Beachwood, OHAugust 13, 2015
Pros: nice selection of clothes
Cons: can't keep their employees
This company does not seem to value their employees as much as they should. The company teaches their employees one thing and switch it around. Nobody wants to work for or with someone who has a careless attitude.
Don't be fooled
Associate (Current Employee), TexasAugust 13, 2015
The culture is not the family run, associate based environment you want to work for. It is a big box retailer where numbers matter more than people, teams or quality of life. Pressure is great and never ending with more and more piled on top of an already unimaginable workload. Your to do list will never be completed and your store will never be ready.
Fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Deerfield, ILAugust 13, 2015
Pros: received discount
Cons: Too far
Worked with many great people, management was great. I loved the work, re-arranging merchandise, balanced drawers at the end of the night.
fun, upbeat, energetic
Store Associate (Current Employee), Winston-Salem, NCAugust 11, 2015
Pros: Learning proceess
Cons: sometimes hours
This a fun place to work. Have had hands on traing learning how
to use scanner, post sales, interact with customers, cashier, handle transactions with cash , credit cards, checks, assist customers. I work with great people. It is a clothing store. Have the opportunity to learn a lot from there. Management is great. Easy to get along with.
Enjoyed the work and staff environment.
Personal Executive Shopper (Former Employee), Wheaton, IlAugust 11, 2015
It was an ideal position while raising my family. The staff and duties were pleasant and enjoyable

Dealing with professional women in coordinating their attires for travel, business and events , assisted me to stay organized and professional..
It's tolerable until some point.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), McAllen, TXAugust 2, 2015
There were ups and downs working for this company. The hardest part was making time for school because of all the hours I worked. Most of the managers were easy to get along with and there was never any problems with co-workers.
Great employment opportunity
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Columbia, SCJuly 30, 2015
Typical work day consisted of customer service routine, pleasant coworkers and management. Daily jobs consisted of setting displays and planograms according to what they were sent out to be as well as bringing in weekly shipments and making sure they all made it out to the sales floor in a timely manner.
Fun and very active work place
Customer Service Representative / Lead Sales (Former Employee), Arlington TexasJuly 29, 2015
Loved helping build sales to make quota's. so much fun resetting the whole store to make it look good. New merchandise was so much fun finding the perfect place on the floor for good viewing.
working as a team
Area Manager (Former Employee), Gainesville, VAJuly 23, 2015
my staff was great never had it better

they like to learn and reach their goal

management needs more approvement

I enjoyed working with my team after the day is over.
Retailing
Cashier (Former Employee), Brentwood, TNJuly 22, 2015
Pros: Meeting people and building relationships with frequent customers
Cons: having to bite the bullet with irrate customers
A typical work day would consist of greeting and checking out customers, helping them find merchandise, answering phones, helping do sales on the floor, stocking merchandise, checking in merchandise, counting money in each drawer
Fun workplace, great staff
Cashier, Customer service (Current Employee), Scottsdale, AZJuly 20, 2015
Job is a little laid back, slower paced compared to some, but always fun. Great staff. Management is reasonably helpful when it comes to accommodations if/when issues arise.
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Westborough, MAJuly 15, 2015
You will always be busy and my store was fairly laid back and I worked with great people as well. Retail is very demanding though and you can work long hours.
Retail sales job with limited advancement opportunities
Boutique Sales Associate (Current Employee), Williamsville, NYJuly 13, 2015
Pros: co-workers, company discount
Cons: Working retail hours which include many nights and weekends
The employees and customers are very nice. It is enjoyable to help women make purchases and see how it makes them feel more confident.
Headquarters