Stein Mart Employee Reviews in United States

Great Teamwork: is a good environment to learn/improve your manager skills.
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Aventura, FLJune 22, 2016
Not a typical desk job, from lifting heavy boxes to stock merchandise and assemble shelves and furniture. Prepare yourself to walk a lot; assist associates at the registers when they are short of staff or during their meal breaks. Best part of the job is to know that the store accomplished the sales goal or credit card goals every month. Gift cards, rewards or bonuses are a big plus!
Pros
Free Meals during special sales events.
Cons
Little help/hours to prepare the store for the Regional Manager's visit.
Cashier & Men's Departmental Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJune 20, 2016
Moments of productivity. Having to deal with very quiet moments and do nothing moments, and lack of hours simply because of budget cuts.
Day on the job - it was never dull
Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Monroe, LAJune 17, 2016
As the lead of the men's dept. between assisting customers, setting sales, and freight the days went by quickly because you stay so busy!
My training included cash office, cash register, accessories dept. and men's dept. where I was the lead.
The hardest part of this job was trying to keep theft down.
Co-workers were always willing to help each other.
After almost 13 years, I've had really good store managers and supervisors but then again you have a supervisor who does not like you.
Unfortunately, I learned that this job could be a great place to work until a supervisor decides she no longer wants you around and the store manager only listens to one side - your FIRED!
Pros
working with customers and coworkers
Cons
healthcare expensive, bad move going to the mall
Retail.
Will not disclose (Current Employee) –  ColoradoJune 13, 2016
A typical day is to help the customers who come in the store and is presented with a catalog of items we have or may not have. The only problem is people don't read or fully understand the coupons on SALE items only or Red Dot Clearance. We rarely have full price coupons and when we do, people abuse them or don't understand how to properly use them. Makes our job hard.

Also, the ad is NATIONAL so not every store gets the same items. A store in Florida and California will have sea items and beach themes. Mountain areas as Colorado or Arizona, will not.
Pros
Employee Associate days. Small bonus on Credit Card sign ups.
Cons
Promotions are to the wrong people when others who should deserve them, don't.
Cash office associate
Service associate (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 10, 2016
Dear Stein Mart,
I loved your stores and want to work for you with any part time open availed at Houston, Tx. Thank you very much
Review Stein Mart
Merchandising Manager (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXJune 4, 2016
I am merchandising manager. For this job if you enjoy working 40+ hours a week, closing twice a week, working 8-5 some days, working weekends and all holidays, then this is the job for you! I would rather be working only around 35 hours so working 40+ hours is too much for me, especially during the holiday when you work six days a week, I want my two days off each week!!!
Pros
Employee Discount
Cons
Not great pay, messy store
Interesting Workplace
Service Associate and Receiving (Current Employee) –  Orland Park, ILJune 2, 2016
Management has their favorites and don't work well with others.
Coworkers are great to work with
Customers are very pleasant
Pros
35 minute lunch periods
Cons
no benefits for part timers
Sales associate
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 27, 2016
A typical day at Stein Mart is organizing sales, operating a computerized register, and providing great customer service.
Easy going job.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Kildeer, ILMay 26, 2016
They cut everyones hours back so bad that I'm not even on the schedule. Other than that I love working there. I don't feel pressured to get things done. The work itself is really easy. I love how sweet everyone is!
Pros
Paid 15 minute breaks
Cons
Barely any hours
Hard working employees always willing to give up their free to make sure their store has a good corporate visit .
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAMay 20, 2016
They are not a bad place to work they are always willing to promote within if you can handle the low hours and low pay .
Store managers and assistants work hard and long hours so home life suffers sometimes .
The store is now open half a day on Thanksgiving which is not liked by most customers.
work place
Sales floor Associate, Home & Shoe Department (Former Employee) –  Brookfield, WIMay 19, 2016
It is a nice place to work I am a part time worker and have been with the company for 2 years.
The work environment is fun and well organized.
being a temp
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Lithia Springs, GAMay 17, 2016
the job is like any other job except that when work becomes slow all temps get laid off and you never know what time you get off until you show up to work and you never know what your weekends are going to consist of it just takes a long time to get hired on permanent
Corporate headquarters Manager
Manager (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 16, 2016
No training and not one piece of documentation; ask 3 people, get 3 different answers. Makes me really appreciate more organized places I worked before Stein Mart. There are a few nice people but in general it's not a warm fuzzy place if you aren't an old-timer or good ole boy.
Pros
The work/life balance is ok, and the location downtown is nice...if you don't mind the parking situation
Cons
The CEO just quit without warning, and they had to pay $800k in penalties to the SEC last year. Where there's smoke there's usuallyfire
Proffessional
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Plantation, FLMay 14, 2016
Assigned areas, Assigned roles, Assigned everything. Everyone had a clear understanding on what was the task at hand; day in, and day out.
Productive and Successful Beach Front Retail
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pompano Beach, FLMay 13, 2016
The success of the Pompano Beach Stein Mart store can be accredited to the determined staff and the organized management team. Employees worked with complete synergy to meet the demands of the popular store during busy holiday hours. Occasionally the number of tasks expected to finish each day was daunting, but working with the friendly staff made it worth the effort.
Pros
Friendly staff, long breaks
Cons
Customers dissatisfaction with weekly sales specifics
To be discussed with prospective employer
Lead Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLMay 10, 2016
I do as I'm told and try to give my all to complete tasks on time, I stay away from the negative energy and focus on my duties as a Lead.
Pros
There is team effort between employees
Cons
Unprofesionalism from certain managers
Extra hours and culture has completely decayed
Buyer (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 6, 2016
Senior management needs to figure out who/what they want to be and all row in that direction. While they attempt to figure that out, you will run endless hours of extra reports (on antiquated and/or under-utilized reporting services) and extra projects that wind up not being looked at when the direction changes. You will work extensive extra hours because of this. Can typically only work on actual job (buying) after management leaves for the day.

Individual teams (Buyer/Planner/Assistants/Allocators) are seated together, which is a positive for communication and you definitely build a close-knit relationship.

Great co-workers, but new management in certain divisions has pushed quite a few of them out. This company used to be about family/work balance and working as a team, but over the last few years that has completely fallen away.

Depending on who you work for, you do have a decent amount of autonomy in what you want your business to be, it's just that you'll typically have to work on that after hours or at home.

Additionally, all systems go down with a significant amount of regularity.
Pros
Autonomy, Close-Knit Buying Team Structure, Good Lunch Options Close
Cons
Poor Managment, Bad Systems, Long Hours, Not Enough Money
A great department store
Sales Lead, Shoes (Former Employee) –  Falls Church, VAMay 2, 2016
The day started with vacuming the store, followed by brief meeting with management on promotions for the day, coupons etc, before the store opened. Management, co-workers and our customers were all very pleasant to work with. The hardest part of the job was constantly having to move the shoes around to rearrange the department. but what i enjoyed most was interacting with people throughout the day.
Pros
Staff discount eligible even on further reduced prices.
Cons
Restricted to my department and not able to do add-on sales.
not the best place to work
Operation Lead/ Receiving Manager (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAMay 1, 2016
It is a good company it is just the management at the location I work for are very unprofessional and make it hard for employees to last long in the company or to grow or gain rewards.
Cons
no opportunities
Crazy unorganized, poor management, Drama
Associate (Current Employee) –  Palm Harbor, FLApril 27, 2016
Very poor management direction
You will do everyone else's job for them
Numerous employees that cannot complete tasks
Very Unorganized
Almost impossible to get promotions
A lot of drama between the employees and managers
Very poor job security
Terrible work life balance and inconsistent schedules
Extremely slow cashiers
Pros
Some of the associates are nice
Cons
Almost everything