Stein Mart Employee Reviews

Good work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 4, 2016
Friendly customers and co-workers. Learned how to balance a register.Management was easy to work with and cooperative. A typical day would be greeting customers, keeping a well managed store front appearance, working the registers and assisting in other departments.
sorter
Sorter (Current Employee) –  Lithia Springs, GAFebruary 1, 2016
the first thing i do when i enter into work is go right to my area and start putting the boxes thats not on the pallet is put then on a pallet and start wrapping my pallets. i also check on other co-workers to see if they need any help. i work so hard at my job i don't even realize my brakes be coming up thats the best part time flies by when working here.
Productive and fun place to work
Lead Cashier, Backroom MGR (Former Employee) –  Flower Mound, TXJanuary 31, 2016
Great place to work, plenty of room for advancement, fun, managers gave great leadership, great people to work with, great medical benefits
Pros
potlucks
Cons
DMs never nice
fun place to work at
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCJanuary 27, 2016
Loved interacting with the customers and staff. Management was great with everything.Co workers where great also. Hardest part of the job was inventory work when the whole store had to be inventoried. Loved working with the public.
Pros
Long lunch and overtime
Cons
no benefits
Stein Mart was a fun retail store to work for
Retail Customer Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Chinco HillsJanuary 21, 2016
Keeping the store clean, The hardest part of this job was standing and walking all day. Learning how to use the cashiers was fun. The Managers help the associates with the what was needed in the store. Everyone was like family.
Pros
Growth opportunity
Cons
Growth opportunity
Terrible management.
Shoe Department Lead (Former Employee) –  Katy, TXJanuary 20, 2016
Despite the multitude of friendly employees, the store owner would continue to lie and belittle others in order to get her way. The store owner made the environment toxic.
Pros
Fun learning experience
Cons
Store owner.
Great job if you're willing to work hard.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJanuary 19, 2016
A typical day at work is straightening up the shelves and fixtures where customers have misplaced and dropped items, cleaning the dressing rooms or shoe floors and dusting or vacuuming. We have a diverse team and everyone is pretty great. Management is friendly and efficient. The hardest part of the job is making sure you are always courteous to customers, even when they are angry or upset. The most enjoyable part is seeing customers leave happy with your service.
Pros
Friendly team, decent break times, competitions for fun, nice customers
Cons
Pay is minimum wage, rude customers
Wonderful place too work. Provided me many oppurtunities and successes.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Boynton Beach, FLJanuary 17, 2016
Managed Store, 1 Assistant, 3 Department Managers, and averaged 30 + Team Members. Did all training, HR operations, Cash office, balancing prior days receipts, and balancing safe. Developed all Budgets including sales plans, payroll plans, and controllable expenses. Provided excellent communication skills, with all aspects of upper Management. I always kept our Team Members well informed of all that was happening within the store on a daily base.
Okay work environement
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ocala, FLJanuary 15, 2016
The days were always the same, there was never really a place to improve. I was employed there for two years, and though I enjoyed my coworkers and the customers, I was definitely time for a change.
Voted for themselves for Dept. Store of the Year
Operations Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 14, 2016
Considers themselves an ethical company but then sent the link out to vote for themselves multiple times. Too much pressure on associates to sell the company credit card. Verbal harassment of management who failed to get 125% of credit card goal
Pleasant surroundings, great discount program.
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCJanuary 13, 2016
Some of the managers there should have classes on customer service and how to manage/supervise employees.

The assistant manager who did the weekly schedule was especially fair (at least to me) and flexible. Did not always agree, but she had a business to run and have the staff available to do so.

Some of my co workers became my friends at a time when I needed it.
Hardest part was clearing the bar and getting the merchandise back on the floor. Merchandising method did not make sense.

I did enjoy my co workers, in my department all were personable, friendly and helpful.

overall review - 3 stars
Pros
Discounts
Cons
some managers not very friendly
Construction company
Cashier/ Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLJanuary 11, 2016
Very small company
It was in a great location and was able to get to know differant companies in the complex
Ordering roofing supplies daily for jobs, job costing each order and receiving invoices on a daily basis.
Payroll was done on every Friday
I learned the Quick Book program
Being a small company the pressure was not a big factor a very relaxed company to work for.
Pros
Close to my home
Cons
Long hours on Friday waiting for employees to pick up their check
Nice place, just frustrating
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAJanuary 7, 2016
I love my coworkers I just don't like how credit cards are the main concern of the management and corporate. Also, customers always expect coupons.
Pros
occasional lunch provided, employee discount
Cons
temperment of customers and employees, push for credit cards
Productive and fun workplace
Sales/Floors Associate (Current Employee) –  Westlake, OHJanuary 6, 2016
A typical day at work consists of going through the sales floor and setting up sales day to day. Keeping things clean and neat is important during a normal day at work. Assisting customers and helping them find what they need is the number one priority. Co-workers are all very friendly and helpful.
Fun/Fast-Paced and Creative/Independant Environment
Customer Service Expert (Former Employee) –  Citrus Heights, CADecember 28, 2015
A typical day at Stein Mart would be having a morning meeting to cover the daily dealings. Checking with management on what should be started on ranging from setting a weekly sale, putting out freight, or my most favorite, creating displays. After working at Stein Mart for a year you'll have the experience of a supervisor even if you leave as a regular associate. Easy to gain a promotion if you're a diligent/hard worker. Expect visits from corporate regularly.
Pros
1 hr Lunches, 25% Associates discount, Cleaner than most stores, Great Sales
Cons
Bag Checks, Overworked, Understaffed, Can't combine coupons, Bathroom duty(depends on outlook)
fun
Associate (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CADecember 20, 2015
everybody tries to welcome you. taskks are assigned equally. everyone is helpful with each order in order to work as a team.
Great atmosphere and helpful staff
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmond, OKDecember 12, 2015
The staff there was very helpful and always kind. They taught me plenty about problem solving. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping the customers. The hardest part of the job was when we had sales. Customers were very demanding and could be rude.
Pros
enjoyable staff and wonderful patients
Cons
short breaks
Lousy place to work
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VADecember 4, 2015
Management complacent, zero opportunity to advance, below average pay for management positions. Long hours with no real reward or feel good at the end of the day.
They have great sales!
cashier customer service (Current Employee) –  Cordova, TNNovember 24, 2015
Stein Mart is a Fabulous clothing store. I enjoy working there! I also enjoy working with a team. Great benefits, the manager are really nice, the culture in the store is diverse, and its a beautiful scenery.
Pros
Employee Discount
Cons
An hour long lunch.
Oraganized and assertive
Sales Floor rep (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVNovember 24, 2015
I have worked with a great staff. Very friendly and has shown me what a true team can be. The hardest part is not being scheduled enough hours.
Pros
Great Loaction, busy
Cons
Not enough hours