Stein Mart Employee Reviews

5 thumbs down
Customer Service/ Sales (Current Employee) –  Peachtree City, GAMarch 21, 2016
No chance at advancement. A $.007 pay raise in a year and terrible benefits. Long hours with midday shifts and you still will never make close to 40 hours. A horrible place to work. Also its dirty and the restrooms are unkept.
Pros
Cons
pay, hours, and benifits
Fun/Fast-Paced and Creative/Independant Environment
Customer Service Expert (Former Employee) –  Citrus Heights, CADecember 28, 2015
A typical day at Stein Mart would be having a morning meeting to cover the daily dealings. Checking with management on what should be started on ranging from setting a weekly sale, putting out freight, or my most favorite, creating displays. After working at Stein Mart for a year you'll have the experience of a supervisor even if you leave as a regular associate. Easy to gain a promotion if you're a diligent/hard worker. Expect visits from corporate regularly.
Pros
1 hr Lunches, 25% Associates discount, Cleaner than most stores, Great Sales
Cons
Bag Checks, Overworked, Understaffed, Can't combine coupons, Bathroom duty(depends on outlook)
Positive place to work
Merchandising Lead (Current Employee) –  Madison, MSFebruary 19, 2016
A typical day at work for me is opening boxes from the truck that morning, putting them on the rack, and then making my way to the floor to sensor and merchandise. I've learned a lot working here, I've helped out in every department since I've started here 5 years ago, from linens, accessories, and men's. Management is decent just communication needs a bit of work. Hardest part of the job is not having any help and doing things alone which is most of the time honestly, that to me is the hardest. The most enjoyable thing about the job is helping people whether they're buying things for themselves or a relative or a friend, it's nothing quite like it being able to help people is the most rewarding part and make their day even if they might be having a bad one.
Pros
healthcare options, flexibility with scheduling
Cons
bad communication
Management sweatshop, long hours, mediocre pay, Chinese overtime
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  South FloridaOctober 11, 2015
Stein Mart used to be a fun environment with seasoned managers and associates with long tenure. The work is strenuous with long hours standing and managers constantly racking their brains to figure out where to place new merchandise that keeps coming to replace the old ones they thought we sold or forgot about.
There's a one day special and a sale every weekend for the same merchandise the customers won't buy but the company refuses to markdown.
Management believes that the 12 hour sales require so much preparation that managers are scheduled a 6-day work week totaling 60 hours and more, with no additional monetary compensation or additional days off. You are expected to come in early and stay late if you are serious about being promoted.
There is no work life balance, in fact you spend so much time on the job, you will forget about your family and friends.

The coupons are endless and the disclaimer on the coupons including dates mean nothing if the customer presents it.
Pros
Discount.
Cons
Mediocre pay, long hours and senior management with no outside experience.
a decent place to work as far as retail goes
Ladies department lead (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 25, 2016
A typical day for me includes markdowns, merchandising, setting sales, attending the fitting rooms, and cleaning up at night. (sweeping fitting rooms, taking trash out, recovering my dept. etc.) I've learned working at this company that the customer/upper mgmt. is always right. (even when they're wrong) My co-workers at my current location for the most part have become good friends of mine. The hardest part of the job for me has always been selling credit cards which the co. takes very seriously which I have also never been very good at. Luckily, I'm not a cashier and am not expected to get as many. The most enjoyable part of the job is when my shift is over, and of course the friends I have made.
Pros
1 hour lunches and 2 paid vacations per year (after working full time for 8 months)
Cons
long days, pay doesnt always equal effort put in, corperate is always changing/makes things difficult
Poor management
QA Associate (Current Employee) –  Lithia Springs, GAAugust 8, 2016
This has been so far the worst job I have worked at as far as how they treat they employees. They are not professional. They not consistent on the work schedule. They make the rules as they go. They threaten your job just so they can have they way. They talk to they employees bad while using curse word. The leads don't work but getting paid to do nothing. The supervisors are flirting and sleeping with all type of people on the job. Thy over work you and still don't pay you any good money and definitely don't appreciate you as a employee. I wouldn't recommend anybody to work here. I can write more bad things but I'm sure you get the point here.
Pros
There isn't anything good about them
Cons
Everything is bad. The list goes on and on
fun place to work at
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCJanuary 27, 2016
Loved interacting with the customers and staff. Management was great with everything.Co workers where great also. Hardest part of the job was inventory work when the whole store had to be inventoried. Loved working with the public.
Pros
Long lunch and overtime
Cons
no benefits
Store is very low staffed therefore heavy workload
Boutique Consultant (Former Employee) –  McKinney, TXApril 4, 2016
As Boutique Consultant the requirements were more than any other hourly employee and you are not paid much more. Should be a salaried position because you are responsible for community involvement and bringing in new business. You have an unrealistic hourly sales goal and there is not a procedure to accurately track your sales.
Pros
Can work the hours you want if available.
Cons
Very negative work culture, nothing is ever good enough.
Day on the job - it was never dull
Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Monroe, LAJune 17, 2016
As the lead of the men's dept. between assisting customers, setting sales, and freight the days went by quickly because you stay so busy!
My training included cash office, cash register, accessories dept. and men's dept. where I was the lead.
The hardest part of this job was trying to keep theft down.
Co-workers were always willing to help each other.
After almost 13 years, I've had really good store managers and supervisors but then again you have a supervisor who does not like you.
Unfortunately, I learned that this job could be a great place to work until a supervisor decides she no longer wants you around and the store manager only listens to one side - your FIRED!
Pros
working with customers and coworkers
Cons
healthcare expensive, bad move going to the mall
Very Unprofessional Culture - Corporate Office
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 19, 2016
People often curse others out with and have shouting matches during a normal workday. However the people who do this type of thing are usually the type of people who would never do such a thing outside of the work place. They do it at this job because they know they will not face any real push back so the only way to survive is to be equally disrespectful and unprofessional. Work here for the money and benefits only because if you are looking for a culture that is conducive to success and that will harbor team work find yourself another job.
Pros
Pay is great
Cons
Very Unprofessional Culture
Not bad but limited advancement and pay increase
Manager (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLOctober 26, 2015
I was responsible for the timely processing of incoming merchandise, as well as providing excellent customer service. I learned how to manage inventory merchandise departments, meet various goals, and track metrics across the store and my departments to ensure success. My management team was average in their operations and co-workers were about the same. The hardest part of my job was ensuring all paperwork and received merchandise was properly processed as well as damages, and transfers. The most enjoyable part of my job was the customer service aspect I enjoy helping people find the items and services they need.
Pros
Employee dicount
Cons
Benifits
Semi-productive
Floor Salesman (Former Employee) –  Midlothian, VAAugust 24, 2016
Most days I did stocking and straightening. There were not many projects for me to do. I learned about working in retail and how it differs from the food industry. There is not always something to do like in the food industry. Management was great and very helpful whenever I needed them. The co-workers were nice and easy to get along with. The hardest part of the job was when there was nothing to do so I had to make up tasks to do some days. The most enjoyable part was when I had special tasks to do and helping the customers.
Pros
Break room, free snacks, enjoyable environment
Cons
taskless days, low amount of hours worked
Their way or the highway
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 23, 2016
This company is extremely disorganized and upper management treats employees horribly. Turn over is very high-quality talent is pushed out the door due to extreme micro management and store "policies" constantly change whenever the store manager sees fit. No training, coaching or developing of associates either; feedback is always negative and focused on what the manager perceives as wrong. The motto here should be "get in line or get out".
Cons
Overall a good company to work with.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hendersonville, TNAugust 28, 2016
An average work day was busy with good co-workers. We worked together for the most part helping each other depending on demands of each department. The management team is helpful and accommodating.
The hardest part of my job was when we were short handed. Covering several areas, while shorthanded, made balancing good customer service with the demands difficult but always doable. It was important to me to keep the customer a priority.
The most enjoyable part of my job was inventory control, receiving product, merchandizing, traveling for store resets in different locations across the south east. I always enjoy talking with customers and helping them and by making suggestions for a gift or whatever they might be looking for.
Over the years I learned merchandizing in a way to appeal to the eye of the customer, inventory control techniques, plan-0-gram reading and execution, the value of great customer service, and to be very flexible.
Pros
Good health benefits, vacation plans and 401K program
Cons
Being shorthanded too often
Retail.
Will not disclose (Current Employee) –  ColoradoJune 13, 2016
A typical day is to help the customers who come in the store and is presented with a catalog of items we have or may not have. The only problem is people don't read or fully understand the coupons on SALE items only or Red Dot Clearance. We rarely have full price coupons and when we do, people abuse them or don't understand how to properly use them. Makes our job hard.

Also, the ad is NATIONAL so not every store gets the same items. A store in Florida and California will have sea items and beach themes. Mountain areas as Colorado or Arizona, will not.
Pros
Employee Associate days. Small bonus on Credit Card sign ups.
Cons
Promotions are to the wrong people when others who should deserve them, don't.
Productive and fun place to work
Lead Cashier, Backroom MGR (Former Employee) –  Flower Mound, TXJanuary 31, 2016
Great place to work, plenty of room for advancement, fun, managers gave great leadership, great people to work with, great medical benefits
Pros
potlucks
Cons
DMs never nice
Management plays favorites!
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vero Beach, FLAugust 29, 2016
Manager plays favorites with associates, if you aren't one of their favorites you won't advance and you get treated horrible. You also get your vacations switched with the favorites. Cashiers do NOTHING they just stand and take people but sales associates have to do EVERYTHING even the things cashiers are suppose to do. You definitely don't get paid enough if your sales associate, it's hard work and you barely get awarded.
Pros
Free lunches on 12 hour sale days, 25% discount
Cons
Management, Advancement, Sales associate
The worst company EVER! Run away! Unprofessional, cruel, and rude managment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CAAugust 22, 2016
This is the worst company to work for, very unprofessional management they do not treat you like a human being, they say they will work with your schedule but that's turns out to be a lie. The store has absolutely no hours, so the place is empty and customers complain. Your expected to multi task beyond your physical abilities. The sales and coupons are so confusing and customers are always complaining.
Pros
Nice co'workers
Cons
Pay, hours, managment, store policies
Great Teamwork: is a good environment to learn/improve your manager skills.
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Aventura, FLJune 22, 2016
Not a typical desk job, from lifting heavy boxes to stock merchandise and assemble shelves and furniture. Prepare yourself to walk a lot; assist associates at the registers when they are short of staff or during their meal breaks. Best part of the job is to know that the store accomplished the sales goal or credit card goals every month. Gift cards, rewards or bonuses are a big plus!
Pros
Free Meals during special sales events.
Cons
Little help/hours to prepare the store for the Regional Manager's visit.
Serious Lack Of Envolment with Management
Contract Support Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 9, 2016
While I was employed there, the lead was very immature, unqualified and uninformed about Point Of Sale equipment. The customer service was the worst I have ever witnessed. Although there were new employees that were trying their best to provide excellent service to their customer's management stayed uninvolved making each day difficult to provide excellent service.