Stein Mart Employee Reviews in United States

Overall a good company to work with.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hendersonville, TNAugust 28, 2016
An average work day was busy with good co-workers. We worked together for the most part helping each other depending on demands of each department. The management team is helpful and accommodating.
The hardest part of my job was when we were short handed. Covering several areas, while shorthanded, made balancing good customer service with the demands difficult but always doable. It was important to me to keep the customer a priority.
The most enjoyable part of my job was inventory control, receiving product, merchandizing, traveling for store resets in different locations across the south east. I always enjoy talking with customers and helping them and by making suggestions for a gift or whatever they might be looking for.
Over the years I learned merchandizing in a way to appeal to the eye of the customer, inventory control techniques, plan-0-gram reading and execution, the value of great customer service, and to be very flexible.
Pros
Good health benefits, vacation plans and 401K program
Cons
Being shorthanded too often
moved
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Naples, FLAugust 27, 2016
Nice people with great attidutes trying to make sales from home decore to shoes and more we all worked as a team when needed. It was really simple nothing to compilcated
a decent place to work as far as retail goes
Ladies department lead (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 25, 2016
A typical day for me includes markdowns, merchandising, setting sales, attending the fitting rooms, and cleaning up at night. (sweeping fitting rooms, taking trash out, recovering my dept. etc.) I've learned working at this company that the customer/upper mgmt. is always right. (even when they're wrong) My co-workers at my current location for the most part have become good friends of mine. The hardest part of the job for me has always been selling credit cards which the co. takes very seriously which I have also never been very good at. Luckily, I'm not a cashier and am not expected to get as many. The most enjoyable part of the job is when my shift is over, and of course the friends I have made.
Pros
1 hour lunches and 2 paid vacations per year (after working full time for 8 months)
Cons
long days, pay doesnt always equal effort put in, corperate is always changing/makes things difficult
Semi-productive
Floor Salesman (Former Employee) –  Midlothian, VAAugust 24, 2016
Most days I did stocking and straightening. There were not many projects for me to do. I learned about working in retail and how it differs from the food industry. There is not always something to do like in the food industry. Management was great and very helpful whenever I needed them. The co-workers were nice and easy to get along with. The hardest part of the job was when there was nothing to do so I had to make up tasks to do some days. The most enjoyable part was when I had special tasks to do and helping the customers.
Pros
Break room, free snacks, enjoyable environment
Cons
taskless days, low amount of hours worked
Exceptional Company
CONTRACTED RETAIL MERCHANDISER (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLAugust 24, 2016
The company overall has been fantastic to work for and with.
All employees from Corporate to the retail locations has great customer service and are friendly.
Stein Mart - Fast paced 100% Customer Service Retail Store
Boutique Lead & Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kennesaw, GAAugust 23, 2016
After being a business owner and re-entering the workforce this was a great place to start...Stein Mart is very customer service based as with any retail store but they really did focus on their customers. They do highly encourage us to solicit their personal store credit card and the more cards you get the more perks you will get. Management is held to a higher level of getting sales, credit cards etc....if you are looking for a job in the retail field and have been out of the public eye or workforce for any amount of time this is a great store to work for. My most enjoyable part of my day was helping the elderly, the challenge shoppers that no one else enjoyed helping. My co-workers were all great very seldom did we not see eye to eye and it was usual a time management issue. I learned how to set sales, mark downs, inventory, customer service standards, loss and prevention, credit card sales and so much more
Pros
fast paced, days went by quick because you do stay busy, challenging position plenty of opportunity to move up the ladder
Cons
employee benefits, work all weekends, holidays, basic retail complaints
The worst company EVER! Run away! Unprofessional, cruel, and rude managment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CAAugust 22, 2016
This is the worst company to work for, very unprofessional management they do not treat you like a human being, they say they will work with your schedule but that's turns out to be a lie. The store has absolutely no hours, so the place is empty and customers complain. Your expected to multi task beyond your physical abilities. The sales and coupons are so confusing and customers are always complaining.
Pros
Nice co'workers
Cons
Pay, hours, managment, store policies
typical retail
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 21, 2016
typical retail sales associate position. My manager at the time was nice and understanding. Good working environment. Good summer job for students
Very Unprofessional Culture - Corporate Office
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 19, 2016
People often curse others out with and have shouting matches during a normal workday. However the people who do this type of thing are usually the type of people who would never do such a thing outside of the work place. They do it at this job because they know they will not face any real push back so the only way to survive is to be equally disrespectful and unprofessional. Work here for the money and benefits only because if you are looking for a culture that is conducive to success and that will harbor team work find yourself another job.
Pros
Pay is great
Cons
Very Unprofessional Culture
Great company but terrible corporate management
Operations Lead (Former Employee) –  Palm Beach Gardens, FLAugust 17, 2016
It's like any other retail store except the corporate management (and my store managers in PBG) just cant get it together. You are overworked, underpaid and most certainly unappreciated and if you coomplain about anything or speak your mind to anyone they have no problem cutting your hours or writing you up just so they can eventually fire you.
Pros
Its a (horrible) paycheck
Cons
everything. everything? everything.
productive working place
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 16, 2016
I like work for stein Mart, But I need work
Shift day.. I have Kid at school .
My experience at Stein Mart was good at the beginning.
Pros
short lunch
Cons
healthcare
Easy Entry Position/Supplemental Income
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Portage, MIAugust 15, 2016
This job required very little intellectual challenge. Patrons were often upper middle class women who believed they deserved some sort of special treatment. Management definitely chose favorites. My co-workers were friendly and easy to get along with.
Productive Work Enviroment
Receiving Lead (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLAugust 13, 2016
At Stein Mart there is a great group of people there that I've learned from have followed in their footsteps to be as productive as possible with the best quality.
My Review on Stein Mart
Associate (Current Employee) –  Midlothian, VAAugust 9, 2016
First of all, Stein Mart is an equal opportunity employer that does not take long to get back to hopeful employees on the status of their application.

However, the management is lacking in communication and execution on certain rules that they have established. Example is the dress code. The dress code states that no leggings be worn, no eating in the front, and no visible piercings or tattoos. The store manager does in fact hire people wearing leggings and of course he only approves of some people eating in the front and picks and chooses who is allowed to show there tattoos and piercings. That is really contradicting when the assistant manager addresses the employees on the dress code because of the store manager's some what favoritism.

Co-workers are very much sweet, hardworking, and team-oriented. Of course there will be attitudes at time, but that is bound to happen working with a bunch of woman of different ages. I have made strong friendships with some which extend outside of the job. That's one of the most enjoyable parts of the job, being able to associate with different people and finding similarities. That in itself can take your mind of the stress of the outside world.
teamwork
Cashier/ Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 8, 2016
there was teamwork and everyone got along. Friendly co workers.Could use more help at closing in getting the store set for next day open.
Poor management
QA Associate (Current Employee) –  Lithia Springs, GAAugust 8, 2016
This has been so far the worst job I have worked at as far as how they treat they employees. They are not professional. They not consistent on the work schedule. They make the rules as they go. They threaten your job just so they can have they way. They talk to they employees bad while using curse word. The leads don't work but getting paid to do nothing. The supervisors are flirting and sleeping with all type of people on the job. Thy over work you and still don't pay you any good money and definitely don't appreciate you as a employee. I wouldn't recommend anybody to work here. I can write more bad things but I'm sure you get the point here.
Pros
There isn't anything good about them
Cons
Everything is bad. The list goes on and on
productive work day
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Delray Beach, FLAugust 6, 2016
A typical day at work included doing returns, exchanges as well as purchases, assisting with helping the customer find exactly what they needed. The management could have used some improvement with organization and communication but other than that they were all approachable people.
High scale clothing store.
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Rockwall, TXAugust 4, 2016
My duties included assisting all guest with a great attitude in any way possible while completing the transaction via cash register.
Pros
Hour long break
Cons
Rude customers
liked the job
Sales Associate ­ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCAugust 2, 2016
great part time job. great discounts and fun sales job. the location was great. I did stocking and I worked in the mens wear area.
Pros
fun job
Cons
loved it
Terrible work enviorment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Elk Grove, CAJuly 28, 2016
Upper management never helps or comes out of their office. Extremely high expectations with minimal hours and help. Often on the floor by yourself. The schedule is rarely out more than two days advance. High turn around because lack of training and fluctuation of hours.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Too many to list