Stein Mart

Stein Mart Employer Reviews

Stein Mart can be a fun place to work with the right staffing.
Ladies Lead (Current Employee), Mandeville, LAMarch 24, 2015
Three store managers in a year and a half and the staff keeps leaving due to low hours and low pay. The co-workers are hard workers and like what they do. I love working with the customers and co-workers. The hardest part of my job is trying to keep the fitting rooms stay clean and mark downs up to date.
Love Co-Workers - Horrible Managers
Associate (Current Employee), Surprise, AZMarch 19, 2015
Pros: great associates and department managers!!
Cons: store manager & assistant manager!!
SteinMart is an overall great company to work for. They are pretty family oriented and generally a "nice" company. The store in Surprise has wonderful associates - great team to work with. However, the store manager and assistant manager leaves MUCH to be desired - which makes the overall atmosphere there, stressful and generally tense! In addition, the company decided to open on Thanksgiving night last year and plan on doing so EARLIER this year - which is NOT OK with many of us who work there and want to spend the holiday with our loved ones instead of working!
Very enjoyable place to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Sarasota, FLMarch 19, 2015
Pros: team work. there is no i in team.
* When arriving at work, at schedueled time, I clocked in. I then canvased both departments for stock needed to fill any missing items.

* I learned the details of maintaining both the Home and Gift Departments.

* I was also cross trained in the shoe department and as a cashier.

* The management was very helpful at resolving any problems at the store. They also helped in both departments if needed.

* Being a team, my co-workers provided any needed assistance in maintaining both departments.

* The hardest part of the job was dealing with disgrunteled customers and addressing these problems.

* The most enjoyable part of the job was the great team work all fellow emplyees, including management, demonstrated. No one left for the night untill all departments in the store were back to corporate guidlines.
fun workplace
Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKMarch 13, 2015
Pros: good sales and customers
Cons: rude customers
love the loyal customers that know you by your name. The sales that go on all the time that keep you on your toes. Stein Mart always has something to do
Loved the people
Customer Service Lead (Former Employee), Albany, GAMarch 7, 2015
Ok job to have if you are not in school. It was hard to be a college student and work here because of the demand. The company did not give me a raise when I went from one position to the next.
This location worst job ever
Area Manager (Former Employee), Broadway storeMarch 4, 2015
the store manager is horrible, micro manages everything. No job security. And she will make ur life horrible if ur not up to her standards!!!
Great coworkers with a pleasant atmosphere.
Merchandising-lead (Former Employee), Reno, NVFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: great pot lucks
Cons: not knowing who was going to show up to work.
My normal shift usually would begin at 9 a.m. working approximately 32 hours a week.

There was a revolving door with management, not knowing who your next manager would be.

The hardest part of the job was doing go-backs. Many of the sales associates would not do them so it was up to me to do them at the end of my shift.
Quality goods.
Visual Display Director (Former Employee), Dayton, OHFebruary 15, 2015
Pros: creative process in creating stores image.
Cons: compensation
Creative outlet for design of in store interior and windows to ensure highest quality merchandise is displayed to promote stores image as more of a boutique the a department store.
Enthuastic team player with upbeat personality
Assist General Mgr-Merchandising & Operations (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAFebruary 12, 2015
Team player and self motivated to get the job completed. Customer service skills a priority. Daily merchandising to SteinMart's specific Maps/planograms.
great job
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLFebruary 9, 2015
Loved working for this company they always made sure that their employees were happy and it was never a dull moment. Learned a lot from all the head people at this job wonderful experience.
Employees were nice, and we worked as a team.
Receiving Clerk/Sales Associate/Department Manager (Former Employee), Columbia, SCFebruary 8, 2015
Pros: i had my weekends off.
Cons: i worked really hard when there were sales in the store and holidays.
I enjoyed working with the customers. The store was always clean and nice. The employees worked well together. The company provided professional and personal growth for every employee. It was very diverse and I enjoyed working there.
fun atmosphere
Customer Service Leads (Former Employee), Round Rock, TXFebruary 1, 2015
Happy coworkers,happy management,happy customers . Loved my time here, loved what i did helping customers and finding quality clothing.
Best retail place ever
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Irvine, CAJanuary 30, 2015
I was working at Chipotle at the same time, and my GM was great with working with me on a flexible schedule. Both GMs at both jobs actually. If I didn't have a family emergency, I would've continued working there. Stein Mart is a great place to work at.
No room to move up
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee), Denver, COJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: discounts, long lunches, very lenient.
Cons: no room to move up, management, corporate.
A typical day at Stein Mart is coming into work and clocking in, going to your specific department and straightening, in retail it is important to keep the departments straight. I was a cashier so my job was to check the people out once they were done. Greeting them when they walked in and directing them to what they were looking for. Constant customer service is a must because of how many people roll through the doors. There is no room to move up, some have been with the company for years and never made it out of a department, instead of promoting within they just hire someone random who knows nothing about the company.
A Typical day at Work
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee), Sarasota, FLJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: no free lunch
Cons: short brakes
Lot of Walking, Some good co workers, To do good job, Selling, Cleaning out the Dressing Rooms.
Great employees to work with.
Sales Associate, Stock, Customer Service (Former Employee), New Orleans, LAJanuary 21, 2015
Enjoyed working with the customers and the other employees. Needed more hours then they were able to provide.
Productive and Friendly place to work
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee), Portage, MIJanuary 20, 2015
I really appreciate the effort of team work that is put in from my fellow employees. It makes my job and everyone else easier and a joy to come to work. We as a team are able to get what we need accomplished and rank high in our district and overall the number one retail chain in the country as a company. I am pleased to have the opportunity to work there.
Fun
Senior Area Loss Prevention Specialist (Former Employee), Winston-Salem, NCJanuary 18, 2015
Productive work environment, good people. management needs focus
Great values and excellent customer service
Auditor,Area manager,loss prevention,cs manager (Former Employee), Stevenson Ranch, CAJanuary 16, 2015
Pros: great store
Cashier: check out a customers, Auditor: count all tills and get deposits ready for bank, Assistant receiving manager: check in all new merchandise and get ready to go to the floor, Area manager for the men's dept., children's dept., and the accessories dept.,: merchandise all dept's, do markdowns, set sales, assist all customers, Loss prevention associate: audit all stores in my district, Customer service manager: oversee cashiers, do daily audits on tills, stock all needed items for check out.
Not the best
Cashier/Ladies Dept Associate (Former Employee), Granada Hills, CA/New Orleans, LAJanuary 15, 2015
Pros: hour break for lunch, co-workers were close
Cons: disrespectful and judgmental managers, low pay, stressful environment, repeat customers are a pain, no one looks happy to be working there
The management was always talking behind the employees backs. Always spoke about no fraternizing, yet my manager was having relations with another employee. Your hard work is never appreciated. Managers would talk down to the employees and make them feel as if they do nothing, when most employees are extremely hardworking. They have a "better than you" sort of attitude. Customers can be very irritating about coupons and discounts and will often argue with cashiers about it. Coupon system is constantly changing so customers become confused and frustrated with us. This store allows customers to return EVERYTHING even used bras and underwear. Although I enjoyed the job security and knowing exactly what I needed to be doing at all times in my department, the stress added onto you by the managers and crazy customers wasn't worth it. I wouldn't recommend working here unless you want to feel like you're in high school all over again with all the drama and gossip. Nice job at first, but once you see what goes on, you'll be begging to leave. Had this experience at both locations I was employed with.

1 2 3 4 5

About Stein Mart

Stein Mart's style is to operate department-like stores that feature discount prices. With some 260 shops in some 30 states, it – Read more

Stein Mart Salaries