Stein Mart Employee Reviews

Nice Place to Work
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAFebruary 9, 2017
I started out as a customer at Stein Mart before deciding to work there. A typical work day for me (cashier) is getting briefed on any current or upcoming sales, greeting customers, as well as using the register. The store management is pretty nice. The work environment is business casual and friendly. The hardest part of my job is handling upset customers. The most enjoyable part is getting to meet new people.
Pros
Benefits, weekly pay
Very Unprofessional Culture - Corporate Office
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 19, 2016
People often curse others out with and have shouting matches during a normal workday. However the people who do this type of thing are usually the type of people who would never do such a thing outside of the work place. They do it at this job because they know they will not face any real push back so the only way to survive is to be equally disrespectful and unprofessional. Work here for the money and benefits only because if you are looking for a culture that is conducive to success and that will harbor team work find yourself another job.
Pros
Pay is great
Cons
Very Unprofessional Culture
Overall a good company to work with.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hendersonville, TNAugust 28, 2016
An average work day was busy with good co-workers. We worked together for the most part helping each other depending on demands of each department. The management team is helpful and accommodating.
The hardest part of my job was when we were short handed. Covering several areas, while shorthanded, made balancing good customer service with the demands difficult but always doable. It was important to me to keep the customer a priority.
The most enjoyable part of my job was inventory control, receiving product, merchandizing, traveling for store resets in different locations across the south east. I always enjoy talking with customers and helping them and by making suggestions for a gift or whatever they might be looking for.
Over the years I learned merchandizing in a way to appeal to the eye of the customer, inventory control techniques, plan-0-gram reading and execution, the value of great customer service, and to be very flexible.
Pros
Good health benefits, vacation plans and 401K program
Cons
Being shorthanded too often
Management plays favorites!
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vero Beach, FLAugust 29, 2016
Manager plays favorites with associates, if you aren't one of their favorites you won't advance and you get treated horrible. You also get your vacations switched with the favorites. Cashiers do NOTHING they just stand and take people but sales associates have to do EVERYTHING even the things cashiers are suppose to do. You definitely don't get paid enough if your sales associate, it's hard work and you barely get awarded.
Pros
Free lunches on 12 hour sale days, 25% discount
Cons
Management, Advancement, Sales associate
non productive and poor benefits and hours
Boutique Stylist (P.T) (Current Employee) –  Shreveport, LAFebruary 14, 2017
wish they had better hours and benefits for everyone and a great team of management and better attitudes. everyone is too focused on what the other people are doing and not themselves.
Pros
na
Cons
no good hours, poor management, poor customer service, bad attitudes
No Room To Grow.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  McKinney, TXNovember 10, 2016
A typical day was me folding clothes and checking costumers out. I learned how the retail world is and there is no room for promotion, as they only promote externally. The Management was friendly but only cared about selling credit. Hardest part of the job was the inconstant/random hours.
Stein Mart - Fast paced 100% Customer Service Retail Store
Boutique Lead & Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kennesaw, GAAugust 23, 2016
After being a business owner and re-entering the workforce this was a great place to start...Stein Mart is very customer service based as with any retail store but they really did focus on their customers. They do highly encourage us to solicit their personal store credit card and the more cards you get the more perks you will get. Management is held to a higher level of getting sales, credit cards etc....if you are looking for a job in the retail field and have been out of the public eye or workforce for any amount of time this is a great store to work for. My most enjoyable part of my day was helping the elderly, the challenge shoppers that no one else enjoyed helping. My co-workers were all great very seldom did we not see eye to eye and it was usual a time management issue. I learned how to set sales, mark downs, inventory, customer service standards, loss and prevention, credit card sales and so much more
Pros
fast paced, days went by quick because you do stay busy, challenging position plenty of opportunity to move up the ladder
Cons
employee benefits, work all weekends, holidays, basic retail complaints
The employees are like family
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Valrico, FLJanuary 16, 2017
I would say that Steinmart is a fun place to work. Everyone is always helpful and willing to work.I learned that patience is the key to everything. The management is very nice and are always willing to help out co-workers. The hardest part of job would be having to deal with difficult customers.The most enjoyable part of my job is when i get to work with my co-workers as a team. It always makes things more fun.
Pros
break room, vending machine, long breaks
Fun place to work
Shoe Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 21, 2017
I worked in just about every department of the store which was a blessing because I learned how the business operated as a whole. Stein Mart allowed me fill in wherever help was needed, even working in shipping/receiving to help get stock out on the floor. I worked as a sales agent, cashier, service desk worker, cash office assistant, assistant shoe store manager, and shoe department manager. The hardest part of the job was long hours working on your feet. The most enjoyable part was the store discount.
Pros
Vast learning opportunity
Cons
long hours on your feet with low pay
Excellent work environment
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 8, 2016
Atypical day at work would include a touch base meeting prior to store opening. Subsequent to the meeting we would normally perform a series of audits of varying departments, both operational, human resource and merchandising to ensure that our store is operating per Stein Mart gukdelines.
I learned the complete operation of a 5M dollar retail store.
Senior Management is incredibile. Co-workers are as you choose and develop them.
THe hardest part of the job is the hours. The most enjoyable part of the job is the interaction with the people, both internal and external.
Pros
People
Cons
Hours
Stressful
Lead Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GANovember 2, 2016
There is a lack of training and organization. Dealing with customers is the hardest because they expect a coupon. Management plays favorites. Always cutting hours & changing schedule at the last minute due to upcoming visit from upper management. Some employees have special issues on why they can't work pass a certain hour each day, or why they can't work on particular days, & some even have set schedules. This is not fair to the full-time employees who have to be flexible. The company also stress over credit cards too much. Glad I was able to find a much better job.
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
Under paid, no help, short staff
very relaxing enviroment
CUSTOMER SERVICE (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXOctober 17, 2016
management opens store and you go to your department and set everything up . throughout the day if you have inventory then you restock everything make sure the place is neat and organized . help customers locate specific items .the job is pretty easy customers usually shop on their own and its more than one person per dept so you both stock and organize. hardest part is probably the end of the day especially on events the store has we have to put everything up and usually the store is a mess so we have to organize everything for the following day.
Pros
hour lunches and a discount at the store
Cons
no cons
Dedicated store team; frequent CEO changes
Boutique Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Flower Mound, TXNovember 29, 2016
Work environment acceptable;team pleasant. Manager when I came aboard well liked and dedicated. I enjoyed my position and the employees with whom I directly worked. Some great product, other very discount worthy. Replacement turnaround manager absent the positive attitude of the former, and it appeared employees' feelings were not high on a list of concerns. The store is well located and should recover to perform well in the future.
Pros
team, customers
Cons
store management
Competent & Professional environment
Accessories associate (Former Employee) –  Coral Springs, FLDecember 3, 2016
Always professional. Customer service oriented. The manager expected a lot from us, but was always friendly and understanding.
Workload can vary wildly from day to day. Sometimes boring, sometimes hectic.
My only real issue was getting called for register backup so frequently that it became difficult to get my other work done.
I worked hard but was very rarely unhappy.
Pros
Good management, friendly employees
Cons
Location of products can change weekly
Need more devoted workers.
Customer Service Lead (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJuly 7, 2016
The day basically begin with stocking the bay areas with supplies(bags, boxes, pens, pencils, register tape, etc.). Learning is a on going process, unity is the key with both management and co-workers. Sometimes, the hardest part of the day can be to remind co-workers that we need the customers(the customers are always right). Happy customers are repeated shoppers.
Pros
Benefits(Dental, Vision, Health, Life Ins., Vacation, Sick, 401K, paid Holiday(Full-time).
Very nice place to work in, managers are nice.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Lakeland, FLSeptember 30, 2016
The employees and management are wonderful. Fun work environment. I enjoy working here, however it is not the career field I want to be in. I am headed for Accounting.
a great place to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VASeptember 22, 2016
friendly place, management very nice, job security, positive, family oriented, the hardest part is not wanting to go home at the end of the day.
Pros
discounts
Cons
short breaks
Company has Changed
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Pompano Beach, FLSeptember 29, 2016
New Managers who don't care about you or appreciate you. This company was such a good place to work but it has gone downhill
Benefits
Crazy unorganized, poor management, Drama
Associate (Current Employee) –  Palm Harbor, FLApril 27, 2016
Very poor management direction
You will do everyone else's job for them
Numerous employees that cannot complete tasks
Very Unorganized
Almost impossible to get promotions
A lot of drama between the employees and managers
Very poor job security
Terrible work life balance and inconsistent schedules
Extremely slow cashiers
Pros
Some of the associates are nice
Cons
Almost everything
good
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, LAFebruary 2, 2017
This job can be fun based upon how you make it. you can quickly move up if you work hard enough and show that you want to work. It can be a fun job at times but like any other job it can have its down times. Overall i believe this job is good for all types of people, its retail but its not as crazy as other retail companies.
Pros
weekly pay to employees
Cons
short breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Stein Mart. Our community is ready to answer.