Stein Mart

Stein Mart Employer Reviews

Steinmart employees work hard and barely get paid
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VAJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: become really close with co workers
Cons: low pay
I started working at Steinmart part time for something to do while I was in school. My 20 hours a week quickly turned into 40 hours a week. I told management I could only work part time and they refused to listen to me. Also, VERY stressful environment! I was the only person that worked in my department. Management refused to give me another person to help. It was impossible for me to get set sales, put out merchandise, and take care of all the daily task as one person. When I failed to complete a task I would get "talked to" by management. It was impossible to do everything as one person. I was also disappointed by management. All they did was sit in their office and gossip, or listen to music. They don care about their employees. I feel like steinmart could be a great place to work for, but it has a ways to go. I think the pay is severely low for the amount of work that is required.
A Typical day at Work
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee), Sarasota, FLJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: no free lunch
Cons: short brakes
Lot of Walking, Some good co workers, To do good job, Selling, Cleaning out the Dressing Rooms.
Great employees to work with.
Sales Associate, Stock, Customer Service (Former Employee), New Orleans, LAJanuary 21, 2015
Enjoyed working with the customers and the other employees. Needed more hours then they were able to provide.
Productive and Friendly place to work
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee), Portage, MIJanuary 20, 2015
I really appreciate the effort of team work that is put in from my fellow employees. It makes my job and everyone else easier and a joy to come to work. We as a team are able to get what we need accomplished and rank high in our district and overall the number one retail chain in the country as a company. I am pleased to have the opportunity to work there.
Fun
Senior Area Loss Prevention Specialist (Former Employee), Winston-Salem, NCJanuary 18, 2015
Productive work environment, good people. management needs focus
Great values and excellent customer service
Auditor,Area manager,loss prevention,cs manager (Former Employee), Stevenson Ranch, CAJanuary 16, 2015
Pros: great store
Cashier: check out a customers, Auditor: count all tills and get deposits ready for bank, Assistant receiving manager: check in all new merchandise and get ready to go to the floor, Area manager for the men's dept., children's dept., and the accessories dept.,: merchandise all dept's, do markdowns, set sales, assist all customers, Loss prevention associate: audit all stores in my district, Customer service manager: oversee cashiers, do daily audits on tills, stock all needed items for check out.
Not the best
Cashier/Ladies Dept Associate (Former Employee), Granada Hills, CA/New Orleans, LAJanuary 15, 2015
Pros: hour break for lunch, co-workers were close
Cons: disrespectful and judgmental managers, low pay, stressful environment, repeat customers are a pain, no one looks happy to be working there
The management was always talking behind the employees backs. Always spoke about no fraternizing, yet my manager was having relations with another employee. Your hard work is never appreciated. Managers would talk down to the employees and make them feel as if they do nothing, when most employees are extremely hardworking. They have a "better than you" sort of attitude. Customers can be very irritating about coupons and discounts and will often argue with cashiers about it. Coupon system is constantly changing so customers become confused and frustrated with us. This store allows customers to return EVERYTHING even used bras and underwear. Although I enjoyed the job security and knowing exactly what I needed to be doing at all times in my department, the stress added onto you by the managers and crazy customers wasn't worth it. I wouldn't recommend working here unless you want to feel like you're in high school all over again with all the drama and gossip. Nice job at first, but once you see what goes on, you'll be begging to leave. Had this experience at both locations I was employed with.
This is a good place to start a retail career.
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), Richmond, VAJanuary 13, 2015
This is a competitive place to be. A lot of people shop at Stein Mart. If you want a good steady job, then Stein Mart is definitely it. Great training is here as well as a community of coworkers that feel like family.
Nice company college friendly flexable schedule
Merchandise Manager (Current Employee), Lafayette, LAJanuary 13, 2015
Pros: flexable, good pay, and good work atmosphere
Cons: no room to grow in management, only one store
Steinmart is a very friendly and diverse work place. The one thing that stand out the most for me was my ability to have a flexible work schedule. The hardest part of the job would probably be meeting daily credit card goals. The most enjoyable would be the friendly atmosphere. During a normal work day everyone is so willing to fill where needed and help each other out. My only problem was that there is only one store here in Lafayette so there is no more room for me to grow with the company. Over all this is a good company to work for very college friendly work schedules. Steimart also promote from within on a regular basis but it is difficult here in Lafayette because there is only 0ne store in this city.
great company to work and grow with
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee), Aventura, FLJanuary 10, 2015
great place to work for. appreciates their employee's. very friendly environment and has a team oriented atmosphere.
Cashier
Cashier and Men's associate (Current Employee), Huntsville, ALJanuary 9, 2015
Very forgiving place to learn and work. The people are awesome!
Not the best company to work for
Service Associate (Seasonal Part Time) (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHJanuary 7, 2015
(withheld) it is acknowledged that personal convictions sometimes are against company policies and as such this was not a good fit.
Great Work area
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Lakeland FloirdaJanuary 6, 2015
They were a great company to work for. They welcomed you in as soon as you start, they became my family. Worked very well with the scheduling.
Challenged your creativity, great staff
Boutique Associate (Current Employee), Marietta, GAJanuary 5, 2015
Pros: great staff, great team work
Cons: very challenging
My day involved floor moves, ensuring that new merchandise hit floor in time also set sales for Boutique/Ladies department and merchandising. I enjoyed working with my team to ensure customers were satisfied, it was a very challenging job meeting the deadlines of the sales, floor moves and merchandising the department but I appreciated the challenge.
Great people to work with, not for.
Merchandising Lead (Current Employee), Surprise, AZJanuary 1, 2015
Pros: good benefits if you can get full time
Cons: typical retail, very stressful, too much work and no help
Open Thanksgiving, hours drastically cut in all stores. Upper management unhelpful. Too much work, not enough employees and a very stressful work environment.
Very Productive and Fun Workplace
Cashiers/sales associate (Former Employee), Augusta, GADecember 30, 2014
I loved working at Stein Mart. I got to meet new people and work with wonderful people. The costumers were some of the best people I ever came in contact with.
Retail
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Memphis, TNDecember 29, 2014
Store has declined since new management. Customers and coupons are not easy to get along with.
Productive but Stressful
Customer Service Lead/ Cashier/ Receiving (Former Employee), Beaumont, TexasDecember 26, 2014
Pros: 1 hour lunches and paid vacation for full time
Cons: management and organization
Stein Mart was a wonderful place to work but were pretty unfair on how they gave out hours and also on how they treat their employees. The one year that I worked there a total of 20 or more employees left because of the way the managers talk to them.
Wouldn't go back
Visual Merchandising Manager (Former Employee), Amarillo, TxDecember 25, 2014
As far as upper management goes, it was not a great place to work. I loved the customers and my co-managers and employees, yet the management made it unbearable to work there.
mhm
Cashier (Former Employee), mcallen texasDecember 23, 2014
very boring i like jobs that are fun and this just wasnt for me

1 2 3 4 5

About Stein Mart

Stein Mart's style is to operate department-like stores that feature discount prices. With some 260 shops in some 30 states, it – Read more