Stein Mart Employee Reviews

Never boring, quick paced, hard work, management cares and works with my schedule, it's retail
Associate (Current Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCOctober 15, 2017
Merchandising my area, providing a positive greet and engage atmosphere (as management calls it), selling credit, setting sales

You really have to love your customers and do your best. Management always tries to take it to the next level, which is good for the store but sometimes challenging to accomplish. Everyone is willing to pitch in when needed.

I think all the managers and store manager really care about everyone in the store, and they are all willing to do whatever it takes. Sometimes they're serious, sometimes fun. There is always a lot going on and you have to keep up. Sometimes you get mixed direction and pressure from their bosses to achieve certain goals.

It offers a family environment with potlucks and celebrations. I like our customers.
Pros
Discount, manager works with my schedule, people who care about their areas
Cons
Change can be hard for some people, not finding enough good associates
job
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Snellville, GAOctober 13, 2017
underpaid and very slow place to work at when there wasn't a sale or holiday coming up. Great clothes and other things, Wonderful mangers and supervisor
It was a fun job that allowed me to explore more and more of my creative side displaying clothing and shoes!
Ladies Lead Asst (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLOctober 13, 2017
I typical day at work was continual learning and taking what was given and share it with the next employee. The workplace was nice at the first Stein Mart I worked in but the second on wasn't quite as conducive!
Pros
I really liked my Manager, Debbie who was what a manager should be like!
Cons
There were some cons.
Productive and fun place too work.
Part-Time Cashier (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 10, 2017
I would recommend a family or friend too work at Stein Mart. It's a good and productive environment. It's a family atmosphere with great people to work with.
Pros
great employees
Cons
Manager
Not such a fun place to work
Receiving Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bluffton, SCOctober 10, 2017
Upper management placed great pressure on store managers which negatively effected the work environment. Work rules were often not enforced uniformly.
Pros
Clean work environment
Cons
Personality issues between district and store managers.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmond, OKOctober 7, 2017
A fun, great place to work. Stein mart is a face passed great exciting job career opportunity for anyone who wants to be in retail. There is always something new and exciting.
Not a lot of advancement options.
Department Area Manager (Current Employee) –  Royal Palm Beach, FLOctober 7, 2017
Ensuring that product is place placed according to company standards. Checking up on my staff to make sure that the job is being done accordingly. The workplace culture is amazing. The hardest part of the job is having a consistent schedule.I enjoy the staff that I work around.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Retail Hours
Fast paced
Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 5, 2017
You are never bored. You always have something to do. As long as you shoe up for your hours then you will keep getting hours. Also you must be able to open credit cards.
Fun but face paced
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Anaheim Hills, CAOctober 4, 2017
I worked there for almost three years and it was a great first job in high school. I made lasting friendships and learned so many things about customer service.
Interesting and multicultural
Administrative Assistant - Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLOctober 3, 2017
A typical day would consist of reviewing submitted resumes and pass along viable candidates to recruiters, checking references and calling applicants for interviews. Often I was included as part of the reviewing committee. Sending out acceptance/rejection letters. I would verify previous employment and confirm references and request college transcripts.

I learned every step of the hiring process as well as the procedures for terminating employees and those who resigned.

The hardest part of the job was taking phone calls from employees after Hurricane Katrina. There were so many heartbreaking stories. Stein Mart paid every one of their employees in storm-affected areas until their assigned stores could reopen. In some cases this was a period of months.

One of the most enjoyable parts of the job was the 30% employee discount. I was a temporary employee of Stein Mart and not an agency temp. I was therefore entitled to the discount.
Pros
Generous employee discount
Cons
Not eligible for permanent hire in corporate office.
retail work
Boutique and Ladies Department Lead (Former Employee) –  Rockwall, TXOctober 3, 2017
first job working retail and it can be difficult especially when people are quitting and not being replaced and the workload falls on one person per 5-6 hours schedule.
Pros
great customers
Cons
people don't want to work there
Too Stressful, Unrealistic Expectations
Category Manager: Ladies Luxury Division (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 2, 2017
Presents Unrealistic expectations to employees regarding merchandising. District and Regional Leaders bicker and literally fight with each other on the salesfloor during visits. Do not recommend.
Outdated
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 2, 2017
Old boy culture. Never allowed to think outside the box within your own store. Starting to upgrade systems to make a better work environment. Outdated systems to set sales..Markdowns are taken regularly yet you must scan the entire dept to ensure you have marked everything down. No positive feedback from district managers
great retail job
Merchandising Manager - Home and Shoes (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LASeptember 30, 2017
Steinmart is a good company to work for. They have a standard that is to be met for their clients. Busy work great people at the location i was at. Left the company because I am pursuing a new career path.
got along very well withworkers,liked hours and days
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCSeptember 29, 2017
Mondays sensored new merchandise .Other scheduled days did expected duties.Hardest part was constant walking. Enjoyable part was interacting with coworkers. Liked fle'xible days and hours.
Pros
discount on merchandise bought
Cons
cant complain about anything
Productive and fast paste
Receiving (Former Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXSeptember 29, 2017
Productive and fast pasted. Good schedule, nice employee's some of them. And the management team I liked the most about the wearhouse. 3 stations I worked at. QA, shipping and receiving
Fun, fair, and exciting place to work.
Receiving Manager (Former Employee) –  Lexington, SC 29072September 26, 2017
Exciting and fun place to work. They have good management that treat their employees fairly. Their pay scale was lower than some other places but they had other competitive benefits for their employees.
eh
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Anaheim Hills, CASeptember 25, 2017
if you work part time you barely get any hours. i went three weeks only working one 6 hour shift. my manager was stuck up. they got uncomfortable around anyone who wasn't white.
Pros
not many
Cons
too many
was good place to work
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Katy, TXSeptember 24, 2017
Overall a good place to work, over 17 years with this company. Loved working for Jay Stein he is a drying breed, his replacements have been questionable but it always comes back to Mr Steins keeping it going.
Fun Place to work
Operations Lead (Current Employee) –  Seminole, FLSeptember 24, 2017
Very good benefits, great culture, however some of the company procedures need revising, such as the clearance mark down process, it is very time consuming and requires a lot of re-work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Stein Mart. Our community is ready to answer.