Stein Mart Employee Reviews

I love people
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Metairie, LAJanuary 22, 2017
Helping with something small or big brought me great delight. I loved seeing how just a smile or a hug from me would brighten someone elses day.
It's not bad
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  New JerseyJanuary 22, 2017
It's not a bad place to work as far as learning new things, it can be hard to move up because once managers become managers, they tend to stay there. If you are willing to relocate, it's much easier
Pros
Very flexible with hours
Cons
The pay is lower than other department stores
Horrible place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  PaJanuary 18, 2017
Poor management, favoritism, will embarrass you in front of co workers. They expect a two week notice when you want time off,
but we are lucky to get our schedule 4 days before the week ends.
Their pay is badp and they don't care about the employees, and you better not call off or you will be sorry
Pros
Decent discount
Cons
Cheap
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Darien, ILJanuary 17, 2017
I worked here during high school and loved it! I learned a lot about customer service and learned basic skills in retail to help me be successful. Management was caring and understanding.
Problems in the Company
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INJanuary 17, 2017
The company does many things that seem off-putting. Co-workers come into work on drugs. The customers walk all over us because they can. favoritism is something that is common. No room for ideas, whatever corporate says...goes.
Pros
friendly staff (sometimes), free lunches sometimes.
Cons
favoritism, poor management.
The employees are like family
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Valrico, FLJanuary 16, 2017
I would say that Steinmart is a fun place to work. Everyone is always helpful and willing to work.I learned that patience is the key to everything. The management is very nice and are always willing to help out co-workers. The hardest part of job would be having to deal with difficult customers.The most enjoyable part of my job is when i get to work with my co-workers as a team. It always makes things more fun.
Pros
break room, vending machine, long breaks
Working with Stein Mart associates was great no issues or concerns
General Manager (GM) (Former Employee) –  North Las Vegas, NVJanuary 10, 2017
With my employees we had lots of fun the employees would call to see if they can work on a daily basis they loved working with every one at that location I had left the company due to an illness all of them wanted to know where i would be so they can apply I was told that i was the best manager that they had worked for. a typical day would be me opening the store and doing mostly adminstration work becausse if they need direction they would ask and would not let me help them because they had told me how are they are going to learn if I did it for them. So after I would give them direction they would do the job to see if it was correct and ask for the reasoning that went behind this. The most enjoyable was that all of us had different personalitiesyet we did not clashed with each other.
Pros
Pizza on big sale days
Cons
no health care for parttimers
Over worked and under paid
Merchandising Manager (Former Employee) –  San Dimas, CAJanuary 10, 2017
Stein Mart needs to bring themselves into the 21st century. For how many locations they have and the size of the stores they need to be using something beyond paper signs for sales. It causes too much confusion for the customer and is far too time consuming for the employee. Stein Mart feels it can continue to increase the responsibilities of the employees while continuing to decrease they hours in payroll to accomplish these tasks. Employees are over worked, stressed out, and moral is down.
Pros
As full time you start with 2 weeks paid vacation
Cons
understaffed, corporate very indecisive, now open on Thanksgiving
overall life at stein mart
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Temecula, CAJanuary 9, 2017
the manager at Stein Mart is very self oriented and very rude. she denied me work for 6 months after a conversation I had with a co worker. both of us were of shift. we had the day off.
my co workers how ever were very helpful and very well rounded as a team.
the hardest part of my job was memorizing the codes for the freight.
my favorite part of my job was being able to work in the back with the shipping and receiving team.
Pros
discounts on clothes.
Cons
strict managment
Great
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Madison, MSJanuary 6, 2017
Its a great place to work. I love the managers. I also loved helping customers and making their day better. Everyone was really nice and I loved working there.
Warehouse
Quality Control Operator (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 5, 2017
Warehouse stay cleans with the help of employees. Breaks was ok after the hard work you put in to get the customers order out on truck. Climate in warehouse just the same inside a warehouse without climate control.
good working conditions
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  tampabay areaJanuary 4, 2017
good companyto work for. they were always fair to me. the pay was
ok
good hrs. always room to advance. I worked there a really time ago. I would say give it a try.
It had a good discount.
Pros
good management
Cons
stock room was too small
not for someone with a life
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Biloxi, MSJanuary 3, 2017
Never received any training
boss is a jerk
they have suggestive merchandising maps
when corporate does a walk through they expect the store to be perfect and not look as if you arent really running a business
required to work 6 days a week
Never have enough payroll
never had any personal time
Costumers were great !
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAJanuary 1, 2017
Stein Mart is a great place to work if you are in college or looking for a part time job. The stein mart that I was working at, I didn't like the manager, she was rude.
Pros
supervisor in the womens department was great !
Cons
healthcare
Productiom
Merchandiser/Customer Service/Cashier/Inventory (Current Employee) –  Aventura, FLDecember 29, 2016
Sometimes it's productive. Really no communication with the employees and managers. But we can come together and work as a team especially when it comes to busy days or visits
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Short breaks and healthcare
Fun workplace
Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lady Lake, FLDecember 27, 2016
I loved working there. Stein mart had good coworkers. Also positive attitudes all the time,Good management. The most enjoyable part of this job was working with the customers and helping them.
Productive and Relaxed Workplace
Shoe Department Lead (Former Employee) –  Coral Springs, FLDecember 26, 2016
The management has an open door policy. They are great at helping you learn the different aspects of the job. The atmosphere is that of a family unit.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Pesky Customers
A nice place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  King of Prussia, PADecember 21, 2016
I enjoyed working here , but the managers weren't always treating the employers fairly . The work place itself was amazing I loved the customers and the location .
Laid back
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VADecember 21, 2016
I was a student so I didn't work as much. Catty females who don't like each other but always kept it professional on the sales floor. The most enjoyable moments were the pot lucks.
Pros
Pot lucks
Cons
Low hours
Awesome!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kenner, LADecember 16, 2016
Great complany to work for, flexibe hours, understood my balancing act between work and school. This was a great experience to have before entering the healthcare profession.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Stein Mart. Our community is ready to answer.

67%