Stein Mart Employee Reviews

Has lost direction and what's important to the company
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Monroe, LANovember 23, 2015
Expect a lot more from the employees than they are willing to compensate them .Hours have been cut throughout the company and the employees are expected to absorb the extra workload with no compensation
Benefits
Cons
expect too much from employees and that includes Mgmt
warehouse associate (Current Employee) –  Ontario, CANovember 22, 2015
Not for everyone.work is really tough there its non stop heavy lifting especially when you have to do those 10-hr shifts.
Pros
Good people
Cons
very tough work.
retail work
Customer Service Cashier (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ALNovember 17, 2015
Meeting and greeating customers inthis environment was plus. Retail worker are delegated to their position. Lots of personalities to com;prehend daily.
very nice company
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXNovember 14, 2015
I had no problems there everybody was nice to work for. Employees help everybody out store manger help you out if we are following behind on are work.
enjoyable
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ocean, NJNovember 12, 2015
This job was enjoyable because I enjoyed working with the customers. I liked the people that I worked with . The start of my day was to prepare my register and then greet customers.
NO COMMENT
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLNovember 4, 2015
I used to enjoy this job however it is a very unfair job. as with all jobs are unfair...this is by far the most...they don't pay me enough to put up with the things I put with at this job and I just don't care for it.
Pros
customers
Cons
everything else
Nice place to work.
Operations Lead / Shipping Receiving Manager (Former Employee) –  Hoover, ALNovember 4, 2015
I enjoyed working at this job, but the leadership and management was not what I expected. Opportunities that I was promised before taking the job did not come to fruition. Management tried to play friends with employees and didn't treat everyone with a professional attitude.
Great people to work with
Area Manager (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLOctober 30, 2015
Prioritizing, delegating and implementing daily and monthly goals set by the store manager and myself. Flexibility to change directions at any given moment and ability to remain fluid and in control.
Pros
Hard work, great team under and over me
Cons
recesion caused changes in structure
Not bad but limited advancement and pay increase
Manager (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLOctober 26, 2015
I was responsible for the timely processing of incoming merchandise, as well as providing excellent customer service. I learned how to manage inventory merchandise departments, meet various goals, and track metrics across the store and my departments to ensure success. My management team was average in their operations and co-workers were about the same. The hardest part of my job was ensuring all paperwork and received merchandise was properly processed as well as damages, and transfers. The most enjoyable part of my job was the customer service aspect I enjoy helping people find the items and services they need.
Pros
Employee dicount
Cons
Benifits
Women's Boutique Consultant
Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Beachwood, OHOctober 26, 2015
Assisted clientele with customer service, trained in several departments. Provided customer satisfaction while assisting clientele in dressing rooms.

Want to know more about Stein Mart?

Ask a question
Very productive and fun workplace as well as busy.
Sales Lead Accessories Associate (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 23, 2015
The company itself is very well put together and the associate's are very nice and I like the fast paste of the company. Very lovely company overall.
Pros
Lots of work, healthcare, and lots of fun
Cons
Trucks twice a week, not enough room.
I love working at Stein Mart
customer service manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 22, 2015
The customer interaction at Stein Mart is amazing and all of the employees are like family. Management is amazing as well and customers are fun to work with.
Pros
employees
Cons
unable to advance
Great Company
Merchandise Manager/Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Yorba Linda, CAOctober 16, 2015
Stein Mart is a great company if you like retail. Loved the Boutique Department and being around people. Hours are good and had family time being close to home.
Excellent Company. Little room for Advancement
Merchandising Manager (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYOctober 14, 2015
It's retail. Plan and simple. Down time and peak time. Little room for advancement as upper positions are limited and corporate positions are located in Florida.
A productive and fun place to work.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GAOctober 12, 2015
I started off as a sales associated in the men's department. After six weeks, I was promoted to department manager for the linens department. I was responsible for organizing the department and creating the weekly schedule for the linen, children, and gift departments. Helping customers was a nice part of my job.
ENERGETIC WORK PLACE CUSTOMER RELATIONS
Customer Service Associate (CSA) (Former Employee) –  Norman, OKOctober 12, 2015
ENJOYED CUSTOMER SERVICE ATMOSPHERE, HELPED CUSTOMERS WITH RETAIL MERCHANDISE, SORTED CLOTHING AND CLEANED WORK AREA.
Management sweatshop, long hours, mediocre pay, Chinese overtime
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  South FloridaOctober 11, 2015
Stein Mart used to be a fun environment with seasoned managers and associates with long tenure. The work is strenuous with long hours standing and managers constantly racking their brains to figure out where to place new merchandise that keeps coming to replace the old ones they thought we sold or forgot about.
There's a one day special and a sale every weekend for the same merchandise the customers won't buy but the company refuses to markdown.
Management believes that the 12 hour sales require so much preparation that managers are scheduled a 6-day work week totaling 60 hours and more, with no additional monetary compensation or additional days off. You are expected to come in early and stay late if you are serious about being promoted.
There is no work life balance, in fact you spend so much time on the job, you will forget about your family and friends.

The coupons are endless and the disclaimer on the coupons including dates mean nothing if the customer presents it.
Pros
Discount.
Cons
Mediocre pay, long hours and senior management with no outside experience.
Production at Stein Mart
Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Clovis, CAOctober 10, 2015
Everyday job is productive and never had a dull moment regardless no matter what's the situation. The managers are always eager to teach and making the tasked fun and enjoyable in spite of the task at hand. My co-workers and I learned from each other. I've learned to be sound minded and always alert in the store.
Good people, still has cons of every retail
Operations Lead (Former Employee) –  Chino Hills, CAOctober 7, 2015
Great place to work compared to any other retail. Throughout the years though.. as the company grew, the perks and benefits given to associates has dwindled. Corporate demand is crazy and is impossible to complete (with the lack of hours they give you, they expect so much). Communication between stores and corporate is not solid, expect different ways on how to do things in different stores.
Pros
Good people, free food often (depends on store)
Cons
Little appreciation, so much demand
A good retail enviroment
District LP Auditor / Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNOctober 6, 2015
Stein Mart is a good company to work for. I learned and progressed within the company, and felt appreciate by local and upper management. You do have a family feel, and I can see why so many employees stay with the company.