Stein Mart Employee Reviews

Great employees
Sale Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Delray Beach, FLJuly 6, 2017
Learned a lot of things such as set sale, print sale signs, merchandising and cashier. My co-workers are fantastic. Managers are laid back and easy. Schedules are very flexible. 25% off employee discount (sometimes 35%).
Pros
Free lunch on big sales, discount, flexible.
Cons
Short staffs, too much stuff to do in short times.
the job
Sales & Cashier (Former Employee) –  Rockwall, TXJuly 1, 2017
nice people and nice slow place work environment if your passion is fashion then this would be a place for you good entry level job for males and females great staff
Great place to shop but work questionable
Customer service/service clerk (Former Employee) –  Falls Church, VAJune 29, 2017
Nice place to work co-workers friendly but think I deserved a raise for the time I worked there!! Very nice merchandies and clothing if you like the discount prices.
Pros
Discount on merchandise
Cons
Raises few 13cents
Friendly Department Store
Cashier, floor (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 26, 2017
Great place to work. Everyone is friendly. Work together well and help each other out. Extra money in your paycheck for every credit card you sign people up for.
A joke
Merchandising Manager (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAJune 26, 2017
This place is a HUGE joke. The management, at store level, is amazing, the DM however, is a fat slob that does nothing but bark orders at employees, treats them like they aren't humans and literally threatens people.
Destin store is rutterless
Men's Department Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Destin, FLJune 25, 2017
Now honestly my experience with my direct supervisor in the Men's Department was wonderful and a joy to work with. Store management on the other hand was lacking to put it politely. When I was hired the store had just gone through a horrendous Store Manager and the store was in pretty terrible shape. (In some cases it still is a dump.) The assistant store manager was kept on when the new manager came aboard. Cliques formed, gossip ensued, and training of new employees was non existent. Despite all of the this the Men's Department rallied and has come back nicely but any lack of direction on how things are supposed to be done are spotty at best or not at all. It's because of this that I moved on. I could go on and on and fill pages of the problems with this store but that's for another time and place. Pay is terrible. In Destin fast food workers get paid and treated better than here. If you apply to this particular store tread very very lightly.
Pros
Awesome department manager, hour long breaks
Cons
Filthy, disorganized, low pay, back biting, Store Management apathy
Good job for Sales Associates
Area Manager (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 25, 2017
I found that this company was a good place to work as an hourly associate. I was provided a competitive wage and there was no quota required. The atmosphere was fun and enjoyable.
Pros
Fun enviornment to work
Cons
Repetative work
Its okay
CASHIER (Current Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCJune 24, 2017
Working in the ladies department and accessories is the hardest departments. You will have to work multiple departments in the store. Management is a lot better than what it used to be. A typical day just includes helping customers. There's a lot of stopping and then starting.
Fun fiorst job
Department Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaJune 23, 2017
I worked there many years ago. It was a decent little job to have while I was in high school, made many friends while working there. It is a basically a mini Kohls.
Fast-paced, Stressful, and Exhausting
Associate (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COJune 23, 2017
This is an incredibly fast-paced work environment. You MUST be able to adapt to new situations immediately. The majority of customers are 55+ years old and the majority of the workers are 25 and under. You are required to have a wide variety of skills and be submissive in your work position. Do as your told. However, that becomes difficult when you have to listen to your department manager, an assistant manager, the head manager, and other department managers who all say different things. People are rarely on the same page and makes it borderline impossible to keep everyone happy. When you do your best and demonstrate that you are a top performer in the region, your best is no longer good enough. You're pushed to be number one in the company when it simply isn't demographically possible. Schedules are not consistent. When I asked to work AT LEAST 30 hours per week, I began receiving only 22-28 hours per week. There is little opportunity for growth. Be prepared for drama every single day and try to avoid it, if possible.
Pros
SPIFs for credit card sales
Cons
Poor management, poor communication, not consistent with schedules
good
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 22, 2017
good place to work at good place to work work is work why do I have to rate everything with minimum ??????????????????????????????????????????????????
beautiful clothes and great customers
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXJune 22, 2017
I enjoy being a cashier. Have built a relationship with several customers. The customers trust me to do my job correctly and to help them with their purchase or returns. The store sells some beautiful clothes and home items at decent prices. I strongly wish all the employees are on the same page, about the store rules, and conduct themselves according to the rules.
Pros
fun, most customers, discount
Cons
don't get a break every time you work, little discount
work was OK not the best place overall
receiving (Former Employee) –  Stuart, FLJune 20, 2017
A typical day at work I would get started with cleaning the bathrooms every day then move on to garbage the move on to cleaning shelves jewelry mostly plain and simple work for cleaning. I learned mostly customer service skills cleaning skills receiving skills. Management wasn't too much only 2 people were managers the main manager would always be on vacations and the sub-manager would always watch the place usually.
Pros
nice workplace
Cons
management is slow or barely working, shortage of benifits, Etc
great
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAJune 20, 2017
great managers great benifits. very easy job long as the store was kept neat and organzed. no favortism. i would recommend tihs job to a college student
Fun
VAS (Former Employee) –  Lithia Springs, GAJune 20, 2017
It's a fun place to work at good people but it can be hot or cold you take brakes three times a day you have a 30 minute lunch break and two fifteen minutes breaks
Exciting environment
Department Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Poway, CAJune 19, 2017
Typical day: clocked in at scheduled time. Went to my department. Reviewed days duties which could be: sales of dept., customers buying desions, marketing and merchandising, setting up sales, display new merchandise, getting backstock out and back up cashiering. I learned a new industry to educate myself in. Provided good communication to upper management. Most enjoyable: getting my department to be number one in the district in the first month with a good raise. Loved being responsible for a department for a change than a stores responsibilities.
Literally the worst place I have ever worked
Sales Floor Representative/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 19, 2017
I learned how to sensor and tag clothing, do inventory and stock, organization on a large scale, assemble furniture and window showcase mannequins, cashier duties, returns, customer service, phone operation, and operate a conveyor. Hardest part of the job was being on your feet all day, crouching down and straightening to hang heavy clothing up,and blatant management favoritism. The most enjoyable part of the job however was dealing with the customers and fellow employees always made the day go by faster.
Pros
Employee discount on expensive clothing
Cons
Not enough compensation for the job requirements
I would go back
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Rocklin, CAJune 15, 2017
I didn't mind the work however it always seem so disorganized.I would be called in and the stock room was a mess. I seemed unfair I had to pick up the mess for others.
Calm environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAJune 15, 2017
Working here was a nice experience it was typically calm for the most part. The management team and staff were friendly and cooperative however I worked while I was in school so I got very little hours on top of the store having very little payroll so when I asked for training in a different department they kept telling​ me no. Other than that it was a nice store.
Pros
Weekly pay, friendly customers, in-store bathroom
Cons
No breaks, no hours.
Good Company good job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lenexa, KSJune 15, 2017
The customers can be the hardest part the job , and at times company policies tend to encourage their behavior. Other than that it was a pretty relaxed easy-going work environment.
Pros
reward programs
Cons
credit card sales

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Stein Mart. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval