Stein Mart Employee Reviews

Need more devoted workers.
Customer Service Lead (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJuly 7, 2016
The day basically begin with stocking the bay areas with supplies(bags, boxes, pens, pencils, register tape, etc.). Learning is a on going process, unity is the key with both management and co-workers. Sometimes, the hardest part of the day can be to remind co-workers that we need the customers(the customers are always right). Happy customers are repeated shoppers.
Pros
Benefits(Dental, Vision, Health, Life Ins., Vacation, Sick, 401K, paid Holiday(Full-time).
wonderful opportunity to gain experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Temecula, CAJuly 5, 2016
Learned what great customer service is like and understand customer needs. Improved communication skills with superiors. A typical day at work consisted of maintaining a clean and efficient working environment, removing any hazards to employees and customers. Fulfilling tasks set out by leads and dept. managers. The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with great customers while also it being the most difficult part of the job.
Pros
corgible superiors
Cons
advancements, training
Good Environment
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXJuly 2, 2016
stein mart is productive, environment and a fun workplace the most enjoyable part of the job is team work, and i appreciate the company allows flexibility in your workday and unlimited PTO. my co-workers are easy to work with..
Pros
free lunch
Cons
health care and short break
Stein mart is a fun working place
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Falls Church, VAJune 30, 2016
fun employees and great management. Its a great place to get experience. Not great to work at retail but stein mart is definitely a better store than most
Pros
25% discount, friendly employees and managers
Cons
a lot of work
Opportunity
Training & Organizational Development Manager (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 26, 2016
At Stein Mart an associate can be exposed to many business functions. The only limitation is your willingness to take on new projects outside of the scope of your current position!
Great Teamwork: is a good environment to learn/improve your manager skills.
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Aventura, FLJune 22, 2016
Not a typical desk job, from lifting heavy boxes to stock merchandise and assemble shelves and furniture. Prepare yourself to walk a lot; assist associates at the registers when they are short of staff or during their meal breaks. Best part of the job is to know that the store accomplished the sales goal or credit card goals every month. Gift cards, rewards or bonuses are a big plus!
Pros
Free Meals during special sales events.
Cons
Little help/hours to prepare the store for the Regional Manager's visit.
Cashier & Men's Departmental Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJune 20, 2016
Moments of productivity. Having to deal with very quiet moments and do nothing moments, and lack of hours simply because of budget cuts.
Day on the job - it was never dull
Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Monroe, LAJune 17, 2016
As the lead of the men's dept. between assisting customers, setting sales, and freight the days went by quickly because you stay so busy!
My training included cash office, cash register, accessories dept. and men's dept. where I was the lead.
The hardest part of this job was trying to keep theft down.
Co-workers were always willing to help each other.
After almost 13 years, I've had really good store managers and supervisors but then again you have a supervisor who does not like you.
Unfortunately, I learned that this job could be a great place to work until a supervisor decides she no longer wants you around and the store manager only listens to one side - your FIRED!
Pros
working with customers and coworkers
Cons
healthcare expensive, bad move going to the mall
Retail.
Will not disclose (Current Employee) –  ColoradoJune 13, 2016
A typical day is to help the customers who come in the store and is presented with a catalog of items we have or may not have. The only problem is people don't read or fully understand the coupons on SALE items only or Red Dot Clearance. We rarely have full price coupons and when we do, people abuse them or don't understand how to properly use them. Makes our job hard.

Also, the ad is NATIONAL so not every store gets the same items. A store in Florida and California will have sea items and beach themes. Mountain areas as Colorado or Arizona, will not.
Pros
Employee Associate days. Small bonus on Credit Card sign ups.
Cons
Promotions are to the wrong people when others who should deserve them, don't.
Cash office associate
Service associate (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 10, 2016
Dear Stein Mart,
I loved your stores and want to work for you with any part time open availed at Houston, Tx. Thank you very much
Review Stein Mart
Merchandising Manager (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXJune 4, 2016
I am merchandising manager. For this job if you enjoy working 40+ hours a week, closing twice a week, working 8-5 some days, working weekends and all holidays, then this is the job for you! I would rather be working only around 35 hours so working 40+ hours is too much for me, especially during the holiday when you work six days a week, I want my two days off each week!!!
Pros
Employee Discount
Cons
Not great pay, messy store
Interesting Workplace
Service Associate and Receiving (Current Employee) –  Orland Park, ILJune 2, 2016
Management has their favorites and don't work well with others.
Coworkers are great to work with
Customers are very pleasant
Pros
35 minute lunch periods
Cons
no benefits for part timers
Sales associate
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 27, 2016
A typical day at Stein Mart is organizing sales, operating a computerized register, and providing great customer service.
Easy going job.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Kildeer, ILMay 26, 2016
They cut everyones hours back so bad that I'm not even on the schedule. Other than that I love working there. I don't feel pressured to get things done. The work itself is really easy. I love how sweet everyone is!
Pros
Paid 15 minute breaks
Cons
Barely any hours
Hard working employees always willing to give up their free to make sure their store has a good corporate visit .
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAMay 20, 2016
They are not a bad place to work they are always willing to promote within if you can handle the low hours and low pay .
Store managers and assistants work hard and long hours so home life suffers sometimes .
The store is now open half a day on Thanksgiving which is not liked by most customers.
work place
Sales floor Associate, Home & Shoe Department (Former Employee) –  Brookfield, WIMay 19, 2016
It is a nice place to work I am a part time worker and have been with the company for 2 years.
The work environment is fun and well organized.
being a temp
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Lithia Springs, GAMay 17, 2016
the job is like any other job except that when work becomes slow all temps get laid off and you never know what time you get off until you show up to work and you never know what your weekends are going to consist of it just takes a long time to get hired on permanent
Corporate headquarters Manager
Manager (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 16, 2016
No training and not one piece of documentation; ask 3 people, get 3 different answers. Makes me really appreciate more organized places I worked before Stein Mart. There are a few nice people but in general it's not a warm fuzzy place if you aren't an old-timer or good ole boy.
Pros
The work/life balance is ok, and the location downtown is nice...if you don't mind the parking situation
Cons
The CEO just quit without warning, and they had to pay $800k in penalties to the SEC last year. Where there's smoke there's usuallyfire
Proffessional
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Plantation, FLMay 14, 2016
Assigned areas, Assigned roles, Assigned everything. Everyone had a clear understanding on what was the task at hand; day in, and day out.
Productive and Successful Beach Front Retail
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pompano Beach, FLMay 13, 2016
The success of the Pompano Beach Stein Mart store can be accredited to the determined staff and the organized management team. Employees worked with complete synergy to meet the demands of the popular store during busy holiday hours. Occasionally the number of tasks expected to finish each day was daunting, but working with the friendly staff made it worth the effort.
Pros
Friendly staff, long breaks
Cons
Customers dissatisfaction with weekly sales specifics

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Stein Mart. Our community is ready to answer.