Stein Mart Employee Reviews

Good environment
Asset Protection Manager (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 8, 2015
Stein Mart has an overall good culture to work at. The compensation is low and the company is struggling to modernize. Growth beyond base level management is limited to a good ol' boys club which is frustrating. But if you are content with achieving a middle management position then this is the place. Friendly environment and good work/life balance.
Pros
work life balance
Cons
low pay and limited advancment
Easy work with alot to do
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCApril 11, 2016
The work is easy but it becomes hectic & tiring with alot to do with very little pay. And most of the time there's only one person closing a department on really busy days (Thursday & Friday) or not even anyone at all. Great part time job if your in high school or have another job.
Pros
Discount, good with requesting time ofg
Cons
Low pay, favoritism among employees, no advancement within company
Exceptional Company
CONTRACTED RETAIL MERCHANDISER (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLAugust 24, 2016
The company overall has been fantastic to work for and with.
All employees from Corporate to the retail locations has great customer service and are friendly.
Its ok
Area Asset Protection Coordinator (Current Employee) –  TXApril 2, 2014
Its an ok job. I was lied to about almost everything during the interviews regarding work-life balance, schedules, advancement, and scope of the job. I have never worked for a company that required so much time out of it's employees yet paid so little. I average about 60 hours a week, and you are required to work 6 day work weeks during the holidays with no compensation for your time. Truth is that we get paid half of what other companies pay this position, I could actually make more and have been offered much more to manage a single store for another company but I do not want to lose my title. They me 35k a year (which is top starting figure for this position), which I am thankful for, but they acted like they were doing me a favor.
Pros
decent discount, good people, best insurance/benefits for retail
Cons
corporate out of touch with reality, company complains that they can't keep good talent yet they won't pay competitively
Productive and wonderful place to work
Lead Supervisor, Auditor (Current Employee) –  Metairie, LASeptember 8, 2016
The environment of the store is an awesome place to work. the team works together like a family. everybody communicate with everyone very well.
Stein mart is a fun working place
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Falls Church, VAJune 30, 2016
fun employees and great management. Its a great place to get experience. Not great to work at retail but stein mart is definitely a better store than most
Pros
25% discount, friendly employees and managers
Cons
a lot of work
Good job to work at
Merchandising lead (Former Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 19, 2016
If you are a hard worker and like to keep busy this is a perfect job for you. The co-workers are really caring. It felt like a family there. Stein mart pays really good money.
High scale clothing store.
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Rockwall, TXAugust 4, 2016
My duties included assisting all guest with a great attitude in any way possible while completing the transaction via cash register.
Pros
Hour long break
Cons
Rude customers
Productive Work Enviroment
Receiving Lead (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLAugust 13, 2016
At Stein Mart there is a great group of people there that I've learned from have followed in their footsteps to be as productive as possible with the best quality.
Stein Mart had some great people working for them.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCMarch 18, 2016
Stein Mart was a pleasant place to work. My co-workers were friendly and patience while I was in training. The hardest part of this job was helping customers during the Christmas holiday, every one wanted you to help them on the sales floor when your suppose to be at counter cashiering. But everything works out for the best.
Pros
Sometimes we will have fresh doughnuts in the break room.
Cons
lunch and break time was pretty short.
a great place to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VASeptember 22, 2016
friendly place, management very nice, job security, positive, family oriented, the hardest part is not wanting to go home at the end of the day.
Pros
discounts
Cons
short breaks
Nice place to work
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALSeptember 16, 2016
Management is ok. Hours are not very good. Assistant manager is rude and mean. Customer friendly atmosphere. No room for advancement.
Pros
Friendly atmospher
Cons
Not enough hours.
Fast paced, always changing, pleasant employees,
Shoe lead, Customer Service, Gifts and Linens (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLJune 5, 2014
I am the shoe lead, so I'm in charge of the shoe department. I help customers by going above and beyond to please them with our products and services. I scan in a truck daily throughout the week with new product. I have to organize and put out merchandise. Make displays, keep area clean, organize.

My management team and associates are good people. We all help each other when needed, and get along great.

The hardest part of my job is juggling multiple customers. Trying to help each one accordingly; while keeping them satisfied.

The most enjoyable part of my job is the reaction of some customers when i find something they wanted, and hearing their praise of how appreciative they are.
Pros
work with school schedule
Cons
doesn't promote often, no raises
moved
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Naples, FLAugust 27, 2016
Nice people with great attidutes trying to make sales from home decore to shoes and more we all worked as a team when needed. It was really simple nothing to compilcated
Ok place to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, VAMay 17, 2015
Stein Mart is an average retail job. The benefits are not great and the possibility of growing your career is slim. However, part time benefits are available which is nice! The best job you might get if you start out as a cashier is a store management position. Even this possibility is unlikely and would take several years of commitment!
Opportunity
Training & Organizational Development Manager (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 26, 2016
At Stein Mart an associate can be exposed to many business functions. The only limitation is your willingness to take on new projects outside of the scope of your current position!
productive working place
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 16, 2016
I like work for stein Mart, But I need work
Shift day.. I have Kid at school .
My experience at Stein Mart was good at the beginning.
Pros
short lunch
Cons
healthcare
Good place to start customer service experience
Receiving and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Temecula, CAMarch 21, 2016
Enjoyable place to work at to start career and develop understanding of retailer. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with such a great staff.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CAMarch 12, 2016
The customers are friendly. Cashiering is great to get to know others. Opening credit cards is a big deal. being on time and staying in your proper department.

There isn't a hard part of the job; however, when customers don't understand how coupons work or how the discounts work (that's when you have to call a manger to explain it to them).

The most enjoyable part of the job is when customers leaving with a smile because of your friendly customer service.
Pros
1 hour lunch
Cons
N/A
typical retail
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 21, 2016
typical retail sales associate position. My manager at the time was nice and understanding. Good working environment. Good summer job for students