Stein Mart

Stein Mart Employer Reviews

Stein Mart is a fun environment
Department Manager (Former Employee), Sandy, UTMarch 6, 2014
Pros: having pot luck food days was always a plus.
Cons: having to fire someone was never fun, but necessary.
I would arrive at 8 am to open the store a few days a week. I would re count all the tills and get the front end ready for business. Then I would proceed to my department, vacuum and make sure it's organized and clean. At !0.00 a.m. I would open the doors for business. Since I was the head manager on duty on this day I would address any and all customer – more... service questions and/or problems. I would assist all customers in my department and merchandise my area.
One thing I learned was how to properly interview potential employees and what red flags to look for while interviewing them. My co-management were all very nice and professional people. My co-workers were some of the best people I have ever had the pleasure to work with. Some of them are still close friends of mine today, 10 years later. The hardest part of my job at Stein Mart was getting the store ready to close. It was a very sad time, knowing I would never see some of my co-workers again. I knew I would miss this job more than any other I had ever had in my life. Also inventory time was difficult and stressful at times. The most enjoyable times at Stein Mart were when we would have a theme day and we'd all dress up in some sort of costume or matching colors for the day. It was always a good time with good food in the break room. It was also fun when the Store Directors would come to town for a store inspection. Although it could be stressful, I knew that I could be proud of myself and my staff for having my department in perfect shape. – less
Mnage and maintain a well presented department
Dept. Mananger (Former Employee), Arlington, TXMarch 5, 2014
Pros: lunches/ 401 k/ recognition of a job well done
Cons: short breaks
Enjoyed helping other employees learn how to manage a well presented department. Enjoyed the friendship of other employees. Was able to work well as a team with all departments
an excellent company to work for
Operations and Receiving Lead /Inventory Control (Current Employee), Richmond, VAMarch 5, 2014
a good solid company to work for with good benefits. You are constantly challenged and expected to perform your job to the best of your abilities
store closed
Receiving Administrator (Former Employee), North Canton, OHMarch 4, 2014
I would have stay with this company if it was not for the corporate office miss understanding the terms of the lease which cause the store to closes
Busy days and fun in holidays
Associate (Current Employee), Houston, TXMarch 3, 2014
Pros: employee discount
Cons: no insurance except for full time
this company has headquarters in FL, they have a several discounts offers through the year, also the discount is very good.
stein mart
SALES ASSSOCIATE (Current Employee), houston txMarch 3, 2014
Pros: 12hrs sales we ger free food
Cons: manegers!
busy , customers asking for different thing such as sizes different colors and etc.... hardest thing will be dealing with customers that think there always right when there not!
A very up and down culture
Sales Associate/ Customer Service (Current Employee), Vero Beach, FLFebruary 23, 2014
Pros: the customers are nice the discount is good.
Cons: no room for growth and very unstable schedules.
One day everyone is best friends and the next day they hate each other. I have been with the company for over 2 years plus 1 previously but have been looked over 7 times for promotions so if your looking for a job for now its ok but dont expect a promotion they usually hire from outside.
Productive department store
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Temecula, CAFebruary 21, 2014
Pros: employee discounts, co-workers
Cons: no benefits
A typical day at work depends on whether I am working during the day or during the night. Daytime work consists of scanning merchandise for sales and markdowns, or moving clothes around to either push certain seasonal colors up front or make room for more merchandise. A night shift is mainly cleaning up the store after a long day of customers shopping. – more... I vacuum, take the trash out, put the unwanted clothes back from the fitting rooms, and straighten out every single rack to make the merchandise look presentable again. Whether it is a night or day shift, I am always called up to ring customers up at the cash register, answer phone calls, help customers with any questions they might have, fill out paperwork for phone orders, and sign customers up for credit cards.
I learned how to balance my time between tasks much more efficiently, and also how to handle any stressed out or unhappy customers to make sure they feel taken care of by the end of the day.
I worked with all of the managers and knew how crucial it was to maintain a good relationship with each one of them. I always followed orders and made sure that I was able to communicate with any of them if I came across a problem.
My co-workers are almost all team players, and it is different working with every one of them. It is important to me to know who I am working with since they are a major part of who I am surrounding myself with every day. I make sure I maintain a healthy relationship with all of them because I believe that if I help lighten their mood, it will help reflect onto their customer service as well, making more people happy at a time.
The hardest part of this job is trying to understand when someone else is upset because of the stress they get from trying to reach a deadline. Some people have good days, and some people have bad days, but I make sure that nobody affects the positive mood I remain in so that it does not effect my personal work.
The most enjoyable part of the job is building good relationships with returning customers because there are so many different kinds of people who shop here. – less
very productive
Lead associate (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCFebruary 19, 2014
Pros: traveling
Cons: longer days, not as much fun to work with
Sometimes there was work, sometimes not. Management was a lot stricter and tougher, but the work got done. The owner gave company picnics, it was a fun environment.
Good company
Merchandising Manager (Former Employee), Columbia, SCFebruary 15, 2014
Customer service was always a priority, would give anything to anyone at the drop of a tack...
Productive love the atmosphere
Merchandising Lead (Current Employee), Daphne, ALFebruary 11, 2014
Pros: the feed us when sales are up :)
Cons: short breaks. hours cut
I enjoy my job it keeps me challenge in doing different things. Love the customers I get to interact with different people. I learned to challenge myself in different things I feel I have the knowledge to do that. My managers are easy going have understanding and solve problems right then and there I love that. I also love my co workers easy to get – more... alone with in the work place. The hardest part was picking up heavy things that really wasn't for women to do people have gotten hurt. But in all I love my job but I think Its time for a new opportunity. – less
Terrible Company
Buyer (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLFebruary 11, 2014
Heard lots of negative things anout Stein Mart, AFTER ACCEPTING THE POSITION. They all turned out to be true, overall just a terrible experience.
counted registers and taken to bank
Auditor (Former Employee), Orlando, FLFebruary 7, 2014
Worked Part time during school year.Get in the morning and was let in vault to count vault and registers. Took deposit to bank.
Productive and perfect working pace
Store Associate (Former Employee), In storeFebruary 6, 2014
Pros: 10 min break. hour lunches
Cons: short breaks
Would Recommend it. Hope to work there again.
Put merchandise back on shelves. Learned how to ship and receive
Kept positive attitude with management.
My co-workers very friendly, always stayed on task.
Nothing was difficult about the job.
Enjoyable part was just coming in and getting to work with a smile on my face.
Love retail.
Customer Service (Former Employee), Rockwall, TXFebruary 2, 2014
Pros: love meeting new people
Cons: being so far away from our family and not enough hours
Greeting and helping Customer, working in Ladies Wear,Cashier or
Stocking. Hardest part difficult people, best part all the new and differant kinds of people.
Unrealistic expectations and poor training
Planner (Former Employee), JacksonvilleFebruary 2, 2014
Position not as described (job description has now been revised). Poor training and expected little to no learning curve.
Nothing like Retail.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee), Frisco, TXFebruary 1, 2014
Pros: good environment, benefits
Cons: unorganized
Just like any other retail job. They are pretty flexible with your schedule. Great coworkers and mostly good customers.
Just ok
Customer Service/ Sales Associate (Current Employee), Orlando, FLJanuary 29, 2014
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: not enough hours
too many coupons are out at once and it gets confusing of what to use, the sale coupon is lame and need to put out more regular price item coupons again. Management does not think about who has been there the longest and shows up to work when making the schedule they just want to be fair now and give everyone the same amount of hours.
Very interesting place to work
Merchandiser (Former Employee), La Quinta, CAJanuary 27, 2014
Nice product to sell, always able to cheerfully give a hand in helping customer feel confident about there purchase. Management at times a little desperate with employees, when sales are down. But overall the work is busy and customers are friendly appreciative and nice as well as the staff.
Horrible Place to work
Retail Salesperson (Former Employee), North Little Rock, ARJanuary 23, 2014
They give you no motivation or recognition for a job well done. No raises. I was promoted to manager on duty and new employees with no experience, were starting out making at least $1 more than me. Very cheap company.

About Stein Mart

Stein Mart's style is to operate department-like stores that feature discount prices. With some 260 shops in some 30 states, it – Read more