Stein Mart Employee Reviews

Fun but always busy
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, VAMay 24, 2017
Just like any retail position Stein Mart has an abundance of tasks and responsibilities. The associates are always caring and it is a team setting. The pay is competitive with other leading retail companies and the schedules (for department managers and below) are made so that you can have a life outside of Stein Mart.
Toxic work environment
Merchandise Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 20, 2017
My experience with this company was very disappointing. The corporate culture suffocates new talent and fresh ideas. I'm amazed they are still in business with such outdated product assortment, lack of vision and leadership. The retail industry is changing drastically and they are simply not open to change. Recently, over 50 employees were laid off and everyone remaining is struggling to justify their jobs. There is a reason Stein Mart is always hiring.
Pros
Vendor dinners, occasional free lunch
Cons
old-school business model, lack of leadership
Very demanding and always understaffed
Manager (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 19, 2017
The company will promote from within, but when you get to a salary position they will use and abuse you. They expects you to work ridiculous hours without any compensation.
Pros
Promotes from within
Cons
Overworks managers, understaffed, and expects you to work long hrs with very short notice
Good Customer service
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Portage, MIMay 19, 2017
a typical day at stein mart would be me working at the register checking out customers or helping them find stuff. The hardest part about the job is when a customer begins to fight with you. Normally you should call up a manager or solve it yourself.
Productive and gave me balance
Ladies Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMay 18, 2017
Stein Mart is a great company to work with, this company is flexible and is very fun at times. The workplace was very diverse of race, culture, and different lifestyles.
Pros
30 min to an Hour lunch and 15 min breaks with any given shift
Cons
Retail can be very fast paced and busy
Stein Mart a Great place to Shop and work
Store Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 14, 2017
- To Support the Company Mission, Maximize Financial Objectives and increase Store Sales by: Organizing, directing, providing administrative support, providing merchandise support on the sales floor, providing operational support for the store, and providing superior customer service.
high end version of TJMAXX
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 14, 2017
The store is like any other retail store. Other than branding and product mix once can expect the same as TjMaxx or Marshalls. A nice inter-generational mix of employees.
Pros
Discount, operation hours, black friday is not insane
Cons
Older employees who are set in previous job ways, lack of respect for management
Okay place to work, managment had too many issues.
Womens sales and cashier (Former Employee) –  Kannapolis, NC 28081May 13, 2017
I loved my employees and my job but I did have multiple issues with management. There were way too many chiefs. We would have fair break schedules but they got to the point where we had to take extra break times because we were low on sale. Which, when you are in school and only work Monday-Friday 4 hours a day and have to take a 1.5 hour break your not getting much work into your week.
Pros
amazing employees
Cons
terrible managment
Was able to put myself through School
Recieving Associate (Former Employee) –  Ashley, SCMay 12, 2017
I worked in receiving and assisted in loading and unloading trucks and verifying merchandise and tagging said merchandise. We all got along very well in receiving and had friendly competition.
Pros
Got an hour for lunch everyday
Cons
Sometimes it was hot in recieving
It was an amazing experience
Cashier / Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 11, 2017
It was a great experience it helped me grow as a worker and improve my skills as well as allowed me to practice psychological techniques helping improve them. I also learned how to work in a team and deal with "difficult" clientele making sure even the toughest left satisfied with my work.
Pros
Many awarts as well as certificates for credit card sign up.
Cons
short breaks, stressful, sometimes not flexible with hours.
Planning
Allocation Analyst (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 11, 2017
Workplace culture is very corporate, people that have been there for 25+ years, do not like change. Set in their ways, very black and white. Outdated systems, everything is manual.
Awful
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNMay 8, 2017
The pay and management sucks. In the ladies department the expectations are unreal especially when it's one person working the entire department on a weekend night.
Work place drama
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Lenexa, KSMay 7, 2017
It could be a good place to work at if the management staff wasn't so unappreciative and mad all the time. And always telling everyone their not good enough or have enough experience or to young for a management position. Their is one new Manager she seems fun and witty down to earth, that how all should be.
Pros
All the associate are fun to work with.
Cons
Management is terrible.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Venice, FLMay 5, 2017
As long as you can dress business casual and handle a little up-saling its an uplifting environment and management always respected my schedule desires.
Long hours but enjoyed working here.
Retail Merchandiser and Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMay 3, 2017
It was a pretty stressful place to work at. Long hours and alot of cleaning the dressing rooms and merchandising the entire women's department. The management did not really know what they were doing and brought there problems from home to work. The most enjoyable thing i did at this job is merchandise the entire ladies department and got employee of the month for the 3 years i was there. I love clothes and seeing how well i could do i a huge department store without any training.
Pros
The Discounts, insurance, and paid vacations.
Cons
It's ok to work here, sometime management gets crazy
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 2, 2017
Discount if good, love most of the choice of clothes they sell. Customers can become very rowdy about using their coupons, during the holiday is when it the toughest, store first, family life last.
slow pace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville Beach, FLMay 2, 2017
it is a very slow job. dont really talk to people. all you do is pick up clothes. not very fun job i must say. must have the desire to pick up after people.
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCMay 1, 2017
Great employees, always stayed busy. I enjoyed working for the company because they worked with my schedule and made sure I had been very well trained and informed on each different kind of merchandise.
Fun workplace
Customer Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIApril 30, 2017
I loved the job because the hours were flexible and the employees were fun to work with. Us being paid weekly was the best . The job was close to my home so I had easy access to Stein Mart
Pros
Paid weekly
Cons
Short Breaks
Typical retail job
MERCHANDISING LEAD (Current Employee) –  AlabamaApril 30, 2017
I have worked at Stein Mart for over 9 years, and during that time many changes in the company and in my current store have occurred. A typical day at work includes helping customers locate items, setting sales and promotions, and putting clothing back on the sales floor that has been tried on in the fitting rooms. Of course, associates also are expected to maintain a clean store (vacuuming, dusting, picking up trash and clothing off the floor). Management is generally pretty good about working with you and keeping you update on relevant work related information. The hardest part of the job is keeping up with all the changing sales and promotions, as well as the amount of work that is required for the pay. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping customers find what they are looking for and working with coworkers.
Pros
Flexible scheduling and supportive management
Cons
Pay, retail hours, no consistent or set work schedule

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Stein Mart. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval