Steinhafels Employee Reviews

Highly physical, great pay and terrible for managing nonwork life
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Waukesha, WIFebruary 13, 2017
Typical day at work includes working an average of 12-16 hours per day, exhausting one's self to the point of complete physical collapse. Delivering furniture at this company is often a huge risk to personal physical and mental health. Physical injuries are almost impossible to avoid. Management pushes their employees far too hard, and cares nothing for when their employees are injured because of being pushed too hard. Management is completely disorganized and make/break rules and regulations with impunity. The only enjoyable part of the job, was encountering customers who were truly grateful for our hard work and dedication to their satisfaction.
Pros
Great compensation
Cons
High injury risk, extremely physically demanding
Good steady work good management friendly environment
Finisher (Current Employee) –  Waukesha, WIFebruary 6, 2017
Steinhafels is a great place to work great health benefits good vacation friendly easy going environment profit sharing on site doctor on site workout facility
Pros
Always work to do great benefits
Cons
Hard work and sometimes extremely busy
Family-friendly environment, Challenging, Great Staff
Corporate (Current Employee) –  WisconsinJanuary 12, 2017
Steinhafels is a great company to work for. The management team is respectful, and wants to promote a work/life balance, which is so important these days. They truly do care about you and your family. There is room for growth, and managers also give their employees the freedom to get their jobs done, without over-managing. Co-workers are great... people sincerely seem to like being at work for the most part. Pay is good, and will hopefully continue to be competitive with the market. Great benefits. But at the end of the day it's the people that make it a great place to work.
Pros
Benefits, Respectful Managers, Freedom to do your job, Great co-workers.
Cons
Compensation seems to be slightly under the market average for some positions.
Worse Place To Work
Furniture Sales (Former Employee) –  Waukesha, WIJanuary 9, 2017
Employees are expected to use their own iphone with data and/or a Apple tablet to work with customers without reimbursement, and won't even supply pens, paper or scissors to be able to do your job. There are work stations, but not enough and many don't have a phone to call for assistance. None of which is told to you when going through the hiring process. Majority of the training is done on your days or shifts you have off, because they don't expect you to have a life outside of work. The training that was provided early on is covered briefly, but never in depth or in a real application setting and some of the online programs and tools were never even covered. Technology can be challenging when not properly trained or covered at all. The managers offered little to no coaching to solidify what was being taught or to overcome challenges you commonly run into. Customers complained about the lack of support from a manager with a new employee requesting help going through something the first time in addition to the treatment customers received from the same manager. Managers have zero care or respect for their employees or the customers, and the work place has created, condoned and encouraged a cut throat environment which makes it hostile to work in. They are also supposed to price match, but it can take up to 5 days to do it so the customer has since gone elsewhere. When you end up not doing well, due to the lack of support and proper training, the same managers blame you for their shortcomings. Managers also have a very poor view about new hourly employees by insinuating poor  more... intentions against the business which is extremely insulting to say the least.  less
Pros
Cons
Many
Management Team Spirited Work Environment
Design Consultant (Former Employee) –  Menomonee Falls, WIAugust 30, 2016
Steinhafels organizations believes that training their employees in a team-spirited work environment brings valuable results to the ones personal/organizational growth. Compensation is exemplified through ones performance while enhancing work life balance and enhances one to stress-free living that relieves one from pressure and imbalance. Steinhafels is the number one furniture retailer in the Midwest; Integrity in sales products is not only their passion, the organization believes in providing one a home of their dreams and helping one achieve their goals in a strenuous market.

Lastly, Steinhafels believes in Family; especially, when you have a loss. Are you looking for a job in furniture retail in the Wisconsin/Illinois area? Choose Steinhafels Furniture
Pros
Compensation for your time, Health Insurance and Extended Benefits
Cons
Your Able to Work Overtime
Exciting atmosphere filled with passionate employees who all get along well.
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Waukesha, WIAugust 10, 2016
I enjoyed my tenure at Steinhafels. I got along well with all of the other operators, and I enjoyed my work. I was always busy and had something to do. I also liked being able to listen to music while on the job, it helped the day go by faster. Management was less than desirable, and the managers could have done a better job relaying exactly what they wanted us operators to achieve.
Pros
always being busy, listening to music, employee morale, breaks
Cons
Management, hours, days on/off
Average warehouse job
Pickups/Delivery (Former Employee) –  Waukesha, WIMay 8, 2016
Always busy delivering furniture. When you're not delivering furniture, you are loading trucks to be delivered. Doesn't seem like there is much room to advance.
Pros
People you work with
Cons
Pay, executives are harsh, furniture quality is not the best

Comment – May 11, 2016

Thanks for your comments. We do agree the delivery driver position is quite physical. Our drivers work four days per week, 10 hour days with three consecutive days off. We also strive to promote from within as much as possible. Currently, the majority of our distribution management team worked their way up to the management position from positions such as delivery driver. - Stenhafels HR Team

Great Place to work
DELIVERY DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Kenosha, WIApril 13, 2016
-Lots of hours
-Physically challenging
-Pay is decent
-Driving experience
-Assembly experience
-You meet a variety of people in places all over Wisconsin and Illinois.
Pros
Keeps you in great physical shape
Cons
physically difficult after long periods of time, mildly hazardous job
extremely competitive
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Menomonee Falls, WIMarch 30, 2016
No limit on income that can be earned. Business culture is very cut throat. managers need to make sales too and will take sales from associates or require associates to split commissions with them after offering assistance.

Comment – April 21, 2016

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Our commissioned sales people do have the opportunity for unlimited income potential. While sales is competitive in nature, we enforce selling guidelines to create an equitable environment. In regards to your experience with management, feel free to reach out to our Human Resources team to share more details. As a growing company, we are always open to feedback.

True family company.
Manager (Former Employee) –  WisconsinDecember 2, 2015
In my time with Steinhafels, I learned much about retail and becoming a better manager. I was lucky to have met and worked for some of the finest store managers I have ever encountered.
Used to be alright but is rediculous now.
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Waukesha, WIAugust 29, 2015
First of all let me start by saying that one of the executives at this company claims we are hiring six hundred people. We can't even hire ten people, let alone six hundred. Do not believe anything they say! The "ground breaking" on the expansion has stalled to a complete halt and the building will not even be expanded this year! This company claims to promote from within, but if you aren't friends with the right people you'll just get ignored. Every department is for themselves and they don't care about anyone else. We have over six different managers and they all are in charge of everything. You can't ever get a straight answer and nothing ever gets accomplished. They have a number system that doesn't work properly and they completely swear by it. If you cheat you look like their best guy, according to their computer screens. Very large lack of anyone existing (they stay in their offices and never come out). Policies written and never enforced. They were having issues with people calling in and coming in late, so rather than fire the bad employees they were all given a free pass! They said if you had horrible attendance they would look the other way and created a policy that doesn't effect anyone. The raises are around twenty cents a year and don't keep up with inflation. Upper management is pushing harder and harder on the workers, burning them out and slowing down production. Management is actually literally making it so we can't do our jobs because they "lock" all the pieces we are supposed to be building. Calling in seems to be popular here, even management does it! They  more... used to buy us food, but rarely ever do now. We are being forced to work holidays instead of having them off with our families. They don't pay any attention to quality and rely fully on a "return rate" system that doesn't report bad quality. Pieces that are being exchanged are not being inspected. There is usually no one around to fix furniture at certain times, even though it has to be loaded on the truck the same day. Do yourself a favor, don't come here. The guys who have been here for 10+ years only make around 15$ an hour.. There is no future in this company.  less
Pros
beautiful landscaping, benefits, vending machine
Cons
too many to list.
Work Summary
Interior Design Consultant (Current Employee) –  Oak Creek, WIJune 21, 2015
A typical day for me will include meeting with clients in their home, working in the showroom on their project, presenting to cleints, shopping at other retailers for flooring or lighting, presenting my program to gain new clients, following up with clients, and working in sales inbetween projects.
Pros
commission based, Independence with my clients
Cons
commission based, Hours, often lots of down time
You are a disposable tool
Furniture Assembler (Former Employee) –  WaukeshaJune 16, 2015
Worked assembling "furniture" with the use of their electronic scanning system which "clocks" every piece you assemble with a predetermined amount of time; so if you were shorted hardware and need to get some, or had to go to the bathroom, the clock never stopped and you're penalized for going over the allotted time. Managers and employees tell me they rarely see the grandkids who are now in control of the company as they're just the collecting checks; so saying their "family owned" is a term used loosely. No fresh air is allowed into the warehouse, so doors remain closed, even when "finishers" are using/spraying stains and lacquered finishes as they repair the cheap imported "furniture" The "Revolving Door" on employment never stops as the grunts of the company (drivers, assemblers, warehouse) are constantly leaving this place. I was just getting the hang-of the job and then I was called into my managers office for a discussion. You see, I applied for several positions there and took the first position offered to me. However a Customer Service job opened up and my supervisor was made aware that the C.S. manager was now interested in me. Believing this company "Promotes from within" I was excited the C.S. manager was interested in me. However my supervisor informed me that he had hired me to work in the warehouse. I offered to stay on a month as he searched for a replacement but that wouldn't suffice and when I confirmed that I indeed applied for that position, in Customer Service, I was terminated. Unfortunately my termination was before my 90 days so I had no recourse - so  more... thru Revolving Door I went.  less
Pros
a refriderator for your lunch
Cons
Management - Pay and any real future
Great place to work with fun staff
Part-time employee in warehouse (Current Employee) –  Grand Chute, WIMay 20, 2015
Although I was in the warehouse, I really enjoyed my time that I had there. Everyone is very friendly and helps teach you how to do the tasks that you struggle with.
great place to work with a good group of diverse people
Loader/Unloader (Former Employee) –  Waukesha, WIMay 7, 2015
A Typical day at work consist of you coming through the doors and clocking in for the day. This was fairly simply, as it required you to place your hand on a terminal to be scanned and then you would enter a four digit number of your choosing. From there you would proceed to the unload/loading area and meet up with other co-workers. once we were all together, the supervisor of the area would give us instructions on what jobs we were doing for the day and which job we would start working on first. The hardest part of this job was the heavy lifting, as you are moving furniture all day bedroom sets and couches can become really heavy after six hours. However the most enjoyable part of the in my opinion were the breaks, from which you could spend playing basketball or using the gym they had available for you.
Pros
sandwich machine
Very fast paced environment ; Emphasis on Safety
Customer Service Representative / Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Waukesha, WIApril 24, 2015
I worked as a cashier and barista making Starbucks drinks

I learned how to make drinks specifically trademarked to Starbucks

I learned about how important good customer service and how it impacts the overall customer experience

I also learned how to be safe and still be efficient and accurate
Pros
free lunches ( lunch stipend)
Cons
graveyard shift
Pleasant work environment
Mattress Sales/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Glendale, WIMarch 15, 2015
In general the hours are good, medical very good, flexibility in needing time off. As with most companies improvement is needed, need more customer service representatives, more delivery trucks and a better system for delivery times. My co-workers are fun and helpful to work with, the hardest part is trying to deal with customers who blame others mistakes on you. The one customer out of 5 who gives you a nice review.
Pros
Healthcare, flexibility
Cons
There is no room for advancement or moving to a different position in the company.
Professional Environment
Home Furniture Consultant (Former Employee) –  Menomonee Falls, WIMarch 7, 2015
Steinhafels Furniture is one of the best places to work in Wisconsin/Illinois.
My experience with the above organization was just as they promised at my interview; they provide a team spirited environment, growth opportunities beyond measure, and a place where an employee can call home. Managers take the time out to teach, train and learn each employee. In addition, they guide their team with effective business strategies in a professional manner, they have a listening ear, open door policy and believe in diversity. Steinhafels is a place that you can call home and your appreciated as an employee. On the contrary, my greatest memories as an employee, they will go the extra mile to strengthen your weakness.
Are you looking for employment?
Apply at Steinhafels.
Pros
Saturday lunches are free and your awarded in a professional manner for performance.
Overall the actual job is pretty enjoyable
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  WIJanuary 21, 2015
The position of delivery driver is great You drive around, move things, listen to music, and if you have a good partner you get along with well, it makes your day really great. The only real complaint I ever had was a lack of a good management team.
There isn't a such thing as a singular delivery manager who takes care of the drivers questions, and there isn't any order in the ranking of management. This causes fear of stepping on other mangers toes, causing a greater lack of communication resulting in solid managerial decisions to be few and far between.

Overall a good job, good benefits, and usually a good partner, as it takes a certain mentality to do this kind of work.
Pretty good place to work.
IT Intern (Former Employee) –  Waukesha, WIDecember 1, 2014
Not much to add, it was a pretty good place to work. Worst part was when I was there they had an attendance policy that was you couldn't clock in 1 minute before or after your start time. It makes sense, but out of fear of not being there on time I got there 10 minutes ahead of time to avoid any tardies.
Cons
Strict attendance policy

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Steinhafels. Our community is ready to answer.