Step By Step Employee Reviews

It is an ok place to work
Residential Program Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAJanuary 29, 2017
It is very hard to balance your work life and your home life while the job is rewarding in its own way as far as the pay and the benefits are concerned they are sub par
Far From Perfect
Behavior Technician (Former Employee) –  Marion, OHJanuary 27, 2017
Company might improve now that it's under new management, but while I was there communication between the outreach program and main campus. Our concerns and needs went largely unaddressed or took so long to resolve that they became irrelevant. Management seemed to care more for money than the needs of our staff and children. Otherwise the employees are great, really friendly people. Each student had his/ her own schedule over the course of the day based on what he/ she was learning and we recorded data on his/her behavior to measure progress, though management failed to use or even review the data for the entire fall semester. At our location we never got a lunch break (there wasn't enough staff to watch the kids if someone left) but because of that we got to leave early in the afternoon. They rarely pay overtime. Behavior techs in Marion are hired at $10/hr and pay tax to work in Marion, so it really isn't much better than a retail job anywhere. If you want to make a real difference in childrens' lives without being treated like you make a difference it's a great place to work.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Low pay, management is unresponsive, no breaks
Great company
Behavior Specialist Consultant (Current Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAJanuary 24, 2016
I very much enjoy working with Step By Step, Inc. I enjoy my position and find it very rewarding. The only reason I am looking outside of Step By Step, Inc., is to advance my career. Currently, I would like benefits for myself and my family, however my pay rate very significantly drops (hourly rate) should I choose to go from a part time status to a full time status.
Pros
Flexibility, friendly atmosphere, values employees
Cons
Benefits, Significant pay cut if you want full time benefits
step by step
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAAugust 29, 2016
This is and good job for someone just starting their career. It allows you to get and basic understanding of the helping field.whiling dealing with amazing consumers.
Pros
can make 40 plus hours
Cons
more support from upper managerment
Fun Work Place
Group Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Drexel Hill, PAAugust 22, 2016
Step By Step Childcare was a fun and loving place, both for me and all of the family's that attended. I worked with school age children, so the most part of my day was spent in the classrooms supervising the children and staff. What i enjoyed most about child care was experiencing the opportunity to oversee a diverse community of parents, staff and children.
Pros
one hour breaks
Cons
NA
Traveled a a TSS for students with Special Needs
Therapeutic Staff Support (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAFebruary 15, 2014
I enjoyed the experience as a TSS. Traveling was necessary. Home visits and school settings. Paper work involved. Clients changed periodically as did miles per day. Co-workers were great to work with, however, scheduling to accommodate some staff were inconsistent and became financially more to work than pay compensated for.
Pros
Pay scale was sufficient for my degree. Knowledge of autism and assisting parents.
Cons
Excessive travel without compensation, Added hours without pay for traveling at end and beginning of shift, required home visits which became life threatening and very dangerous.
Effective Workplace
Staff Counselor - PLPC (Current Employee) –  Saint Charles, MOOctober 4, 2015
Exceptional people, working with amazing counselors in a Christian environment. Fairly new business growing very quickly.
Pros
Contracted hours
Cons
No benefits or retirement
Fun work place, learning experience, and i learned A LOT
Program Worker (Former Employee) –  Upper Darby, PAJune 29, 2016
Learned how to interact with the residents, they are all mentally challenge.
First time in this field so I had to learn a lot fast but trust me it was worth the learning.
I picked up quick through my training and understand that your attention is 100% on the residents.
Cons
healthcare
daily learning experiences
teacher (Former Employee) –  yulee, floridaJanuary 20, 2015
This job was the best job for me right out of high school. I learned so much while working with 2 year olds on a daily basis. I talked with parents daily and kept up with data in the computer on each child and payments. I learned patience and excellent multitasking skills while working here.
Pros
teaching daily
Cons
no pay raises.
Lack of Managment
Direct Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 16, 2016
This company has a lack of management. The management do not care about their staff, they only care about making money. The enjoyable part of my day is working with the clients.
Pros
great clients
Cons
no breaks
Very positive environment with great co-workers.
TSS Worker (Former Employee) –  Mount Pocono, PAJune 29, 2016
worked one on one with children with autism and disabilities. worked in a school environment and home environment.
Great Work Place
Liaison between employer and client (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 22, 2016
Great place to grow with in the company. Employees are also great to work with. Management could do better with communication, but overall a great company to work for.
Life Skills Manager (Current Employee) –  Clifton Heights, PAApril 28, 2016
Everyone is a member of the team, and support one another even across divisions, Real family like place to work where everyone gets along.
Pros
Great location and people
fun place to work ,
vista (Former Employee) –  Logan, UTApril 25, 2016
I liked the job and everyone had great ideas to help the communities but they were rarely followed through with. Also very unorganized.
Step By Step staff are excellent to work with.
Life Skills Manager (Former Employee) –  Upper Darby, PADecember 14, 2015
Step By Step is a great place to apply for employment and advancement within the Company. The entire Company is client orient and they are their first priority. Which makes them the best with the care of their individuals. There is always new skills to learn.
Pros
On Call 24/7
Cons
Great atmosphere and hard working staff.
Forensic Intensive Case Manger (Former Employee) –  Bethlehem, PAFebruary 27, 2014
Up at 7:00am and on the road seeing conumers and assiting them with leagl issues,medical, finances,medication monitoring, appoinments, and housing.

Learned to deal with many facets of the local government with the mental health and legal system.

Learned to work with my team and management in order to help consumers succed in the life.

The most difficult time was when myself and my team dealt with consumers who past away natural or unfortunately when they took their own life.

Seeing the team succed where other companies failed Also when consumers changed their life for better.
Pros
Everyday was different and challenging
Cons
The issues and problems which plauged the Legal system and the mental health system in PA.
Wasn't a very good place to work.
Cook/Child care Provider (Former Employee) –  Cameron, MOOctober 18, 2014
I loved working with the children very much. I liked working in the kitchen preparing the breakfast and lunch for the children. What I didn't like was the work attitude of the management team. They were rude and hateful when you tried to ask them questions. I hated to go to work sometimes. I did learn a lot from this job though that you need to be more kinder to your employees if you want them to stay.
Pros
I loved playing with the children, and working in the kitchen.
Cons
I did not like the whole attmosphere of working there, It was the most unfriendlyist place I had ever worked at, and the meanist boss
Tattle Tell's Day Care is the best daycare ever!
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJanuary 29, 2016
I love the kids and i also love the staff too.There so friendly and always so happy.The kids love going and hate leaving Tattle Tell's Day care that's how i know there the best in the Fort Worth area.
we get to work and u r stuck there and if staff dont show up u r stuck ....tough on private lives , it is like u cant plan anything ,
rpw (Current Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAApril 9, 2015
i do enjoy working where i work but im looking for something else. been with this co. for sixteen years. i have very rarely called off . the hours sometime r real rough and getting little or no sleep leaves a safety factor where i think our co. real doesnt care. and if something goes wrong u r written up , instead of bringing in someone who is rested they will use the tired one. . its not safe to drive a van after working fourteen hours. thats what i think,,
Cons
u get no breaks and must be in the house till the end of your shift
step by step
Internship (Former Employee) –  Riverview,flJanuary 17, 2014
A typical day is visiting the clients at their homes to see how they are doing in taking their medications and overseeing what their needs are to make their live more manageable. Learn the different areas in Hillsborough county and being outside. Management supports me in all my discussion that I might make. The hardest job is informing a client that they have to move and getting them into a assistance facility. I enjoyed speaking and seeing my clients. my co-worker is a pleasant to be around

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Step By Step. Our community is ready to answer.

73%