Step Employee Reviews

Simple, majority routine, staff and clients
Direct Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 22, 2018
For the most part it is a fairly easy going position, majority of the time it is routine based shifts. Each shift is different, but all staff is held accountable for the day. Appointments, outings, and errands are usually happening during the day and evening shifts. I've learned patience! My patience has grown tremendously since working for the company. I've also learned how to care for different ailments, I've gained knowledge on lifting and transferring, feeding tubes, colostomy bags, and more. I've learned how to pay more attention to details, and how to communicate with those who may not be able to speak or communicate back. The goal of company is to establish a more independent lifestyle, or as independent/involved as possible. The management could be better as far as communication and support for the staff. The management staff has too much on their plates at once, and sometimes the needs or requests of staff fall short. It is a wonderful environment to work in, just stressful and boring sometimes. Most people throughout the company (staff, managers, upper management, vice/president, receptionists, assistants) know one another by face or name. The company is kind of close knit that way, and it is refreshing that I can go up to the office and have everyone I know also know me. The most enjoyable part of the job is the staff/client relationships we build. We are with the same people 40 hours a week at least, some of us are not only coworkers but friends, and we eventually become like family to our clients. A hard part of the job is frequent miscommunication, because it causes  more... confusion and leads to big problems. The hardest part of the job is becoming close with the clients then they pass away, or you start to feel for the lack of family they have, or their backgrounds.  less
Pros
Pto, accommodates my schedule, tuition reimbursement, fairly routine
Cons
No lunch break, mandatory ot, communication breakdowns
great work place environment
Down ICU Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Rockford, ILOctober 10, 2017
I love the floor I work on because of the coworkers I have. In critical situations you need to know your coworkers have your back and I could not ask for a better group to work with! That being said I need to follow my dream of moving to Australia and also pursue my passion for taking care of patients when they need it the most.
positive
Behavior Therapist (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 7, 2017
A good place to work. To gain experience in the social work field. I would recommend other to apply here and work for step by step. This company offer individuals help with therapy. Positve vibes working here
prodution
Production worker (Former Employee) –  Streetsboro, OHSeptember 3, 2017
very great company to get into. company has a lot of growth in it if you just apply the time and patience,hours are open for change if need for appointment and personal issue
Pros
great work environment
Cons
short breaks
Family based and progressive atmosphere
Family Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Billings, MTJune 19, 2017
I love working with families and their children. It's been great to learn more about child development as well as various disabilities.
My coworkers have been great to work and collaborate with.
There has been boss/worker tention amongst some people at STEP. The state may also not give STEP the grant that we have been receiving which has led to tention about job security.
Pros
Family Based
Cons
Job Security
Excellent Benefits
WFD Supervisor (Former Employee) –  UnknownApril 11, 2017
Enjoy working with coworkers. Like a family. Work well together as a team. Excellent benefits. Resonable pay. Benefits. Enjoy the work we do. Gained excellent computer skills.
great government job
Student Hire (Former Employee) –  Fort Belvoir, VAJanuary 5, 2017
input grades into blackboard online for the military students, would attend meetings that I prepared the power point presentations for the head of the school.
Stable Work Environment
MATP Specialistt (Current Employee) –  Williamsport, PASeptember 6, 2016
Good place to work, good benefits, nice people to work with, positive/stable work environment, flexible when it comes to time off for vacation/sick time/or family emergency
fun and productive
Ca - Personal Attendant (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJuly 21, 2016
was the most flexible place ive worked , could balance school easily when i was employed loved that about the job the most , the clients were great and the co workers are great aswell
Everybody was always happy and hardworking
Certified Personal Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMay 24, 2016
Typically I would come in and meet with my supervisor who would let me and the other 2-3 interns know our daily routine. Next we'd be appointed to shadow a current team lead who was always open to giving advise about how to be a good leader and also how to juggle the demands of working in such a fast past environment. I learned from this job that I first love to help people and second that Im very patient and self sufficient. The most challenging portion for me came in my last 3-5 weeks with Downtown target. I was put in charge of stocking the frozen foods section, which is one of targets most challenging sections of its store. Helping redirect customers, restocking fresh foods and also watching for shoplifters at 16 going on 17 was challenging. I was putting in 8 hours a day at such a young age, so with frequent traffic of customer and also overseeing my area was difficult.
Pros
Got great learning exsperiance, and very convenient
Cons
Wasn't self full-filling, and a lot of violence and shop lifting
Fun
Counselor/ Tutor (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYMay 19, 2016
Good working environment. You assist the Students with any homework they need help in. Over time you start to build a bond with the students.
Social Service company in transition from long-term management to new less-knowledgeable leadership.
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Williamsport, PADecember 30, 2015
Limited respect and opportunity for long time dedicated employees to advance. Talent management is misaligned with skills and knowledge demonstrated by current workforce members.
Pros
Great workforce with compassion to serve clients
Cons
Respect and support of workforce by current agency management.
great workplace good people
Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXAugust 20, 2015
Always was happy to go to work mangers were professional and good honest people. Co-workers were helpful job was wasn't a big challenge.
Pros
easy work profesional co-workers
volunteered
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Stuart, VAApril 30, 2015
I loved volunteering my hours there. I loved the teachers and the students. The environment was great, it was laid back and the kids needs still got met
STEP Away!
Academy Instructor, Inver Grove Height, MN (Former Employee) –  Inver Grove Heights, MNApril 20, 2015
Some fantastic kids and staff, but the worst school management and school culture I've ever seen in 20 years of working in the education field. Unlicensed paras teaching health courses should be looked into by the state.

Unless direction and state oversight have changed in 2 years, this is NOT a STEM school! Broken technology for kids, new tech no one is allowed to use, no high level courses or even a single science lab.

Essentially a former elementary trying to be a rigorous secondary school and not knowing how to implement needed changes.

High turnover due in part to extreme demands placed on teachers to create everything on their own, resulting in 60 hour work weeks. Some staff striving to shift to PBIS model while behavior staff refuse to supervise students resulting in ISS students roaming hallways and causing trouble. Upper academy students fleeing in droves, worried about being able to pass college-level entrance exams and only having a few electives (no extra-curricular allowed).
Pros
Highly inclusive and culturally responsive (99% Muslim), focus on fresh and nutritious food for students/staff, good payscales
Cons
Poor management, unlicensed staff, lack of structure
An inspiring workplace with accomplished academic individuals.
Chemistry Instructor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 4, 2015
Excellent workplace with academic professionals dedicate to creating exciting and educational methods to assist students in the comprehension of science. The most invaluable part of my job is the "light bulb" moment with students.
Pros
Science is exciting and educational.
Cons
More students to enroll in science courses.
productive and fun activities
Team Captain (Former Employee) –  brooklyn New YorkJune 4, 2014
community center
where i met new friends
competed in many shows
practiced almost everyday after school
Pros
opened opportunities, met lots of new people
Cons
very long practice hours
Navfac hq
Management Technician (Former Employee) –  WASHINGTON, DCMarch 25, 2014
BEST OFFICE ENVIRONMENT AND MANAGEMENT PERSONNEL.

A typical day consisted of data entry, generating reports, and assisting senior staff as needed.
Fun learning environment
Medical Billing and Coding Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pembroke Pines, FlJanuary 17, 2014
My co-workers where the best. Everyday was a fun learning experience. The most enjoyable part of the job was decorating and enjoying the holidays. As long as you enjoy what you do, you will never work a day in life.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Company closed
G.E.D. teacher
Director (Former Employee) –  Owensboro, KYDecember 11, 2013
I ran an entire G.E.D. program by myself. The program was closed due to financial reasons. On a daily basis I taught Science, Social Studies, Reading, Writing, and Math to my students who ranged in ages from 16-56. I successfully helped 129 students earn their G.E.D. I took most students who were on a sixth grade cognitive level to completion of their G.E.D.