Stepan Company Employee Reviews

good
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAAugust 15, 2017
Its a good job to have. The pay is great but the work hours will drain you. Management is great. The work place is decent. The hardest part of the job was working the bagger.
Chemist
Chemist (Former Employee) –  Skokie, ILJuly 13, 2017
Some people are nice, others are not. Good work-life balance.
Not much room for advancement, people hold onto their jobs for long time so only contractors come aboard. No matter how hard you work, when your contract is up they'll just throw you out on the street instead of hiring you. Contractors are treated like 2nd hand citizens most of the time.
Pros
work-life
Cons
pay
great workplace
Chemical Operator (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAMarch 28, 2017
great company to work for. Stepan cares for their employees and respect all employees with an open door policy. the production manager and plant manager are always honest.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
The Management Team has little respect for the workforce.
Chemical Process Operator (Former Employee) –  Elwood, ILDecember 9, 2016
All Union employees have targets on their back at this company.The management team directs the workforce with arrogance and does not take employee suggestions serious,even though the employee has many more years of experience operating the equipment. The management team goes to any length to blame the workforce for any mistakes that they have made ,while running the operation.
Pros
pay and benifits
Cons
Terrible Management
Was a good place to work
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Winder, GANovember 13, 2016
I enjoyed my time there and was given enormous responsibility. The pay scale was very good as were the benefits. I had to leave due to family problems in Pennsylvania.
Pros
Pay, Benefits, People
Cons
Hours
Good Company Not Much Benifits
Production & Utilities Engineer (Former Employee) –  Elwood, ILSeptember 26, 2016
Nice mid size company, good working environment and nice people around you but compensations is not great, if they give little more to employees everyone will be happy.
Stepan was fun place to work at, but I was laid off due to cost cutting and restructuring efforts by the company.
Product Development Associate/Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Northfield , IllinoisSeptember 23, 2016
As a very productive member of R&D community, I enjoyed my job very much. I had the opportunity to innovate products and technologies that were applicable for food, pharmaceutical and consumer markets. Unfortunately, I was laid off due to cost cutting and restructuring efforts by the company. I would recommend Stepan for employment.
Pros
Family atmosphere, opportunity for advancement, excellent benefits, etc.
Cons
Insurance, elimination of pension
Outstanding work environment
Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Winder, GAJuly 6, 2016
Great place to work, plenty of opportunity for advancement. Everyone easy to work with, very helpful, great hours,different type of work daily
Great Experience with a good company
Reactor Operator/Production Technician (Current Employee) –  elwoord, illinoisDecember 3, 2015
Good company, could take some suggestions from employees a little better. Committed to safety. Would recommend to a friend. Committed to growth and prosperity.
Pros
good benefits and wages
Cons
Lots of old equipment
Operations
Sulfunation Continuous Operator (Current Employee) –  Fieldsboro, NJAugust 10, 2015
Management out of touch with reality of Plant conditions. Two tiers of employee longevity creates antagonistic work conditions. Management held hostage by long term worker attitudes. Newer employees left with challenging conditions because of two tier situation. Plant is old and updates slow in response to necessity. Maintenance team experienced, but short handed. Work hours long, plenty of overtime , but forget having a life.
This COULD actually be a good place to work, but current management condition, particularly with fear of losing experienced employees, creates in house animosity situation where employees are miserable. If you want to make GOOD money, and don't mind miserable coworkers, this is the job for you.
Pros
Pay structure.
Cons
Culture of misery, work schedule.
Fun and teamwork
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Anaheim, CaJuly 18, 2015
Typical day at work is normally very busy. Learned in being a team player/leader and helping everyone out when needed. Team work is very important in a company.

I enjoyed the recognition lunches given every month from the recognition committee. Enjoined that employees are friendly.
Hardest part in the company are the new changes. Wilingl to accept the new changes with the company and having the help and support from everyone.
Pros
recognition committee monthly lunches
Cons
Most people not being team players and helping out when needed.
It's ok.........
Production Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fieldsboro, NJMay 22, 2015
No Training Structure........and don't believe in safety that much. Management focused on there selves and not their employees. Also no moral.
Pros
great company...
Cons
just not that plant.....
Recognized chemical supplier
Senior Internal Auditor (Former Employee) –  Northfield, ILApril 7, 2015
Well-known supplier with strong products that will be around for many years. Strong culture with employees who have been with company many years.
excellent work environment
Continuous Sulfonation Operator (Former Employee) –  Fieldsboro, NJFebruary 18, 2015
this company had good employee relationships and a good safe working environment. Because of slow economy the company had a reduction in the work force
Pros
Good work enviorment
A very good place to work but I needed a change
Product Development Associate (Former Employee) –  Northfield, ILAugust 8, 2014
It has been a great work experience but I am looking for the next chapter in my professional career, deciding I wish to relocate closer to family.. Overall I would recommend them to most everyone seeking employment
Pros
Family Enviorment, good benefits
Cons
Location at this time
Productive and good people to work with
Chemical Operator (Current Employee) –  Millsdale, ILJuly 18, 2014
Working here has been a good experience, everyone that I have worked with has been helpful and friendly and got along with easily. The hardest part of the working here is sometimes the overtime can be a bit much but that only happens seldom.
Pros
Friendly Co workers
benefits
Cash rich company with great opportunity
Maintenance Buyer (Former Employee) –  Elwood, ILJuly 10, 2014
Good company that has great growth potential but, senior employees are not open to change. Needs Lean improvements.
Pros
Great opportunity to advance
Cons
Older employees control the flow of improvement and are not open to change
Stepan Company
Manpower (Current Employee) –  Joliet, ILDecember 27, 2013
I love this job. Its just that they couldn't keep me I am a temp and its not in there budget.
complete lifestyle change
Drumout Operator (Former Employee) –  Elwood, ILDecember 24, 2013
Typical days were 12hr swing shift, High production and fast paced, huge believers of multi-tasking and 0 tolerance for mistakes, with constant mandatory over-time with strict attendance policy change enacted in 2009. I aquired a variety of amazing skills and was able to implement a trouble- shooting guide for all drumout operators to be able to fix the drumming machine on the fly. I organized daily operations to meet high production goals and was able to restructure the warehouse with pedestrian walkways, to make my area a safer place to work.
Pros
good insurance, steel toe boots 2 a year given, uniforms and coats, hardhats, good salary
Cons
no life just work, less than 8 hrs to turn around on shift change
work in progress
Engineering Specialist (Current Employee) –  Northbrook, ILSeptember 22, 2013
the company is currently going through a transition, and there is a lot of homework for upper management to do until it becomes a good place to work.
the culture is not very aggressive in terms of promotions and career advancement, and micro management is more common that someone would like. Lots of frustrated people, including who has been with the company many years, due to poor management and what is happening in may areas of the company today.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Stepan Company. Our community is ready to answer.