Stephen F. Austin State University

Stephen F. Austin State University Employee Reviews

Presenting workshops to student who are academically struggling
AARC Presenter (Former Employee) –  Steen LibraryAugust 24, 2015
Working as an AARC Presenter was a wonderful experience. The program itself was known as "H.O.P.E." (Hard work, Optimism, Persistence, Excellence). Each day I would give workshops to students who were on academic probation. Myself and co-workers worked diligently to design specialized material to help students further engage in their school work. We taught a different topic each week such as time management, organization, study skills, Note-taking, reading and writing skills, test strategies, etc. We not only gave them helpful and useful tools, but we also mentored each student. The hardest part was getting everyone to open up in a group environment. Once the students were comfortable (some sooner than others) sharing the kinds of issues they were having both on and off campus, we were able to individually mentor. I truly enjoyed getting to know these students and believe that the HOPE Program was a beneficial program for struggling students. Unfortunately, the board (for reasons unknown) was unable to continue our program into Fall 2016.
Pros
This position allowed me to work around my personal SFA schedule.
Great job for somoeone who truly cares about University programs
Spirit Coordinator and Head Cheerleading Coach (Current Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXMay 21, 2012
My current job required many hours of overtime, but working with the students on a daily basis was very rewarding.
I learned that every person has a different style of learning and communicating and in order to reach people you have to find out those styles and apply them.
Management was generally laid back, and once given a task, employees were excpted to complete said task within the time allotted, to the highest standard.
My co-workers, much like myself, were generally all so involved in their areas that there was little to no time to form relationships.
The hardest part of the job was managing to fit in personal time for myself. With over 100 students looking to me for advice, daily office hours, daily practices, athletic events, performances and appearances several times per week, finding time to sit back and relax was a challenging, but necessary, time to work into my schedule.
The most enjoyable part of my job is working with my students. I absolutely love my students, and then program I work with.
Pros
good healthcare benefits
Cons
long and inconsistent hours
Living at work with friends
Community Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXApril 29, 2014
I was a community assistant in a freshman hall at my university. I worked in Steen Hall, which was two towers tall and had a total of ten floors on each tower. I worked on the east side on the ninth floor which gave me the opportunity to work on the coed side. Every other morning I worked my desk shifts downstairs at the front desk so I would wake up and get dresses and ride the elevator down to work. It was nice literally living at work, but it was also so tiring because I was always there. That was probably the hardest part of the job, because I had to learn how to balance a full time schedule of classes, and a full time job. I felt like I could never get away from my boss, because he lived on the first floor. I had great coworkers and we had a lot of fun working together. The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to interact with my students on my floor and build relationships with them. I still talk to quite a few of them today.
Pros
friends everywhere, free food
Cons
living at work, never got a real break
Fun, education-oriented environment
Spanish Professor/GA/tutor (Current Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXMay 7, 2015
I loved teaching at SFA University because the students are great and the professors are very easy to talk to. During a typical day I taught one or two classes while also attending Grad school. I learned so many new techniques in teaching Spanish from veteran professors that have done it for many years and have so much wisdom and experience. The hardest part of the job was preparing all the material for the classes and also struggling with some students that did not want to invest the time to study for your class. The most enjoyable part was my co workers in the department, everyone is so attentive and genuinely nice to you and try to help you out as much as they can.
Pros
flexibility in your schedule
Cons
The pay for an adjunct faculty member is not very good
Union but don't join. employees mistreated prices too high for what they offered.
Student (Current Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXApril 14, 2012
I loved this job. I worked in a kitchen that let me be as creative as supplies would allow. Children would come in on tours and I was allowed to let them decorate a small cake that they took with them. The students made this job fulfulling and their needs were offten overlooked because of profit inspite of high meal prices. I made tons of biscuits from scratch, decorated cakes for all occasions which cause me to be creative on a zero budget. Popular trends were not possible because of no supplies to work with. I worked with weddings, receptions, and catering. This job gave me the confidence to start my own wedding business.
Pros
free lunches, great schedules
Cons
employees forced to work short-handed.
Very Flexible work study program
Student Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXAugust 21, 2012
A typical day consisted of helping students to locate campus jobs and future careers through the university website and career services library. I would assist with any administrative duty that needed to be done by the department. I also helped to coordinate business and teacher job fairs. Our managers were great and we worked well together. Their isn't anything hard about serving people to me.
Pros
gained skills in administration and built lasting relationships with faculty.
Productive and enjoyable workplace
Community Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXJune 22, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of office hours and event planning. I learned how to develop a fun, safe, and educational community where my peers lived. My co-workers consisted of 20 college students who helped me develop the community we lived in. The hardest part of the job was being an authority figure over students who were my age and also my friends. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the student life of Stephen F. Austin State University.
Great learning and research environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXFebruary 2, 2014
My Research advisor will and has done anything possible to advance my areas of research and provide materials and instruments to complete quality research in your field of choice.

I learned a variety of imaging techniques for thin films and nanostructures (i.e. SEM - EDS, AFM, STM) as well as methods to create quality thin films for devices such as my Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells of which my research entails.
Pros
flexible work hours (research)
Stephen F. Austin Education Department
Research Specialist and Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXJune 14, 2013
What a wonderful place to work. I could not find advancement given that I graduated from there, but the time I was able to work there was extremely rewarding. It has an excellent family style setting and staff. They are also extremely scholarly driven, and I would recommend that anyone looking for a great place to live and work to check it out.
Pros
just about everything
Cons
kind of in the middle of nowhere
Learning environment laid back and effective
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXJuly 3, 2013
- Thesis research, classwork, studying etc.
- Have learned more about how to learn, relying upon self-motivation and determination to complete a task
- Difficulty in addressing certain issues involving procedural time-frames due to inadequate leadership
- Able to have learned a multi-faceted approach to the geological sciences
Pros
free access to data, lab equipment, big office
Cons
leadership base is lacking
Helped enhanced social skills.
Residence Life Operation - Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXOctober 25, 2012
Working at the university helped me learn a lot. It helped me adjust to different personalities, cultures, and views. I learned to respect everyone's ideas and how to abide by rules, even if they do not make sense. It helped me develop leadership skills when the opportunity came.
Pros
meet new people everyday, free food, and special treatment.
Cons
minimum wage and hours.
State University Employment
Project Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXJune 22, 2015
Working for SFA, you come to have a sense of belonging. You build strong relationships with your fellow co-workers and the institution itself. The hardest part of any job on campus is having to wait on other employees to do part of their job so that you can continue yours. The most enjoyable part of the job is the family feeling of every academic department.
Great enviroment
Lab Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXJanuary 7, 2015
I would teach a class of 30 students and walk around helping them understand the concepts. I would then grade papers and have another class and do the same thing. Working with students who cheat is a down side to teaching, but being a part of educating students and helping them get the material is the most rewarding experience.
Graduate research and teaching assistants [will do about anything]
Teaching/Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXDecember 1, 2014
I enjoyed every minute of my time at SFASU. Working with the fire ecology and GIS groups was a driving factor towards my knowledge and passion in the fields. I was exposed no only to projects but various stages and responsibilities of research management and teaching.
Great atmosphere- wonderful clients and co-workers
AARC Supplemental Instructor (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXFebruary 3, 2015
I learned to deal with many different personalities and how to engage each of them in wanting to learn. Staff is very flexible and helpful.
Pros
freedom and flexibility in scheduling sessions
Cons
sometimes difficult to engage clients in wanting to learn topics
Fun place to work with several people at one table, challenging.
Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXOctober 11, 2015
Enjoyed tutoring several people in several subjects. Pay was competitive with any other college job but I left to do private tutoring.
Pros
Meeting new people every day and teaching them.
Cons
Sometimes only and a few hours to try to help a dozen or more students.
Student Assistant in Res Life
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXApril 14, 2015
This job is mainly clerical. Great job for a college student, I learned a lot. It was difficult around the office, not very professional environment. Felt like I had to walk on egg shells all the time.
Pros
flexibility, experience
Cons
not professional
Learned a lot about video production and great enviroment
Technical Director (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXJuly 13, 2015
I loved this job, made great friends while learning and producing good quality videos. Worked with tricastor and produced for ESPN3.
Pros
few hours.
Cons
Always worked sports events while my friends attended them.
Productive in every facet imaginable
Graduate Assistant - Instructor (Current Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXApril 18, 2014
Gave me the tools to assimilate and disseminate knowledge and grow not only as an educator but as a contributing citizen to society. The most enjoyable experience I have had to date.
Pros
everything
A wonderful place where I have got to work with many different people.
Camp Assistant (Current Employee) –  Nacogodoches, TexasJune 19, 2015
I learned how to be able to switch from different tasks day to day.
My co workers were many returning workers and were willing to work with me to help me catch up in a new environment.

4.6