Stephen F. Austin State University

Stephen F. Austin State University Employee Reviews

Great environment
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXJanuary 13, 2016
Great work environment. Management was great and very helpful. The job was unsupervised and the clients were a joy to work with. I highly recommend working here.
Great work environment
History Supplemental Instructor (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXOctober 29, 2015
Wonderful work environment with good people. Good hours, supportive administration, happy people
Typical day as a supplemental instructor involved going to classes and leading study groups.
Fun place to work with several people at one table, challenging.
Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXOctober 11, 2015
Enjoyed tutoring several people in several subjects. Pay was competitive with any other college job but I left to do private tutoring.
Pros
Meeting new people every day and teaching them.
Cons
Sometimes only and a few hours to try to help a dozen or more students.
Great atmosphere (mostly)
Community Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXSeptember 24, 2015
Depending on what Residence Hall that you worked in, a typical work day can range from peaceful to hectic. But for the most part it was a great experience
Productive and Fun workplace
Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXSeptember 9, 2015
Handle residential information and personal items
management related to the work of a landlord/building supervisor
Presenting workshops to student who are academically struggling
AARC Presenter (Former Employee) –  Steen LibraryAugust 24, 2015
Working as an AARC Presenter was a wonderful experience. The program itself was known as "H.O.P.E." (Hard work, Optimism, Persistence, Excellence). Each day I would give workshops to students who were on academic probation. Myself and co-workers worked diligently to design specialized material to help students further engage in their school work. We taught a different topic each week such as time management, organization, study skills, Note-taking, reading and writing skills, test strategies, etc. We not only gave them helpful and useful tools, but we also mentored each student. The hardest part was getting everyone to open up in a group environment. Once the students were comfortable (some sooner than others) sharing the kinds of issues they were having both on and off campus, we were able to individually mentor. I truly enjoyed getting to know these students and believe that the HOPE Program was a beneficial program for struggling students. Unfortunately, the board (for reasons unknown) was unable to continue our program into Fall 2016.
Pros
This position allowed me to work around my personal SFA schedule.
Job
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TexasJuly 23, 2015
Being a TA was easy, fun, and was really well supported by faculty. The only downside was the compensation. I would gladly go back and teach.
Pros
Predictable schedule, fun
Cons
Low pay
Learned a lot about video production and great enviroment
Technical Director (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXJuly 13, 2015
I loved this job, made great friends while learning and producing good quality videos. Worked with tricastor and produced for ESPN3.
Pros
few hours.
Cons
Always worked sports events while my friends attended them.
Student Employee
Student Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXJune 22, 2015
Great for being flexible for current students. Pay isn't stellar but it's enough to get you through. Don't expect to learn much from most student positions, but any job is what you make of it.
Productive and enjoyable workplace
Community Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXJune 22, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of office hours and event planning. I learned how to develop a fun, safe, and educational community where my peers lived. My co-workers consisted of 20 college students who helped me develop the community we lived in. The hardest part of the job was being an authority figure over students who were my age and also my friends. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the student life of Stephen F. Austin State University.

Want to know more about Stephen F. Austin State University?

Ask a question
State University Employment
Project Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXJune 22, 2015
Working for SFA, you come to have a sense of belonging. You build strong relationships with your fellow co-workers and the institution itself. The hardest part of any job on campus is having to wait on other employees to do part of their job so that you can continue yours. The most enjoyable part of the job is the family feeling of every academic department.
A wonderful place where I have got to work with many different people.
Camp Assistant (Current Employee) –  Nacogodoches, TexasJune 19, 2015
I learned how to be able to switch from different tasks day to day.
My co workers were many returning workers and were willing to work with me to help me catch up in a new environment.
Fun, education-oriented environment
Spanish Professor/GA/tutor (Current Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXMay 7, 2015
I loved teaching at SFA University because the students are great and the professors are very easy to talk to. During a typical day I taught one or two classes while also attending Grad school. I learned so many new techniques in teaching Spanish from veteran professors that have done it for many years and have so much wisdom and experience. The hardest part of the job was preparing all the material for the classes and also struggling with some students that did not want to invest the time to study for your class. The most enjoyable part was my co workers in the department, everyone is so attentive and genuinely nice to you and try to help you out as much as they can.
Pros
flexibility in your schedule
Cons
The pay for an adjunct faculty member is not very good
Student Assistant in Res Life
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXApril 14, 2015
This job is mainly clerical. Great job for a college student, I learned a lot. It was difficult around the office, not very professional environment. Felt like I had to walk on egg shells all the time.
Pros
flexibility, experience
Cons
not professional
Not a good place to work
Custodial Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nacodoches, TxApril 13, 2015
My job experience there was not so satisfying. Not everyone was nice and managers showed signs of favoritism. I was only thereas a student worker.
Reception
VRC office clerk (Former Employee) –  Student Center Veterans Resource CenterApril 8, 2015
I had the pleasure of being the receptionist at the Veterans Resource Center. I answered phones and gave direction to fellow veterans who were starting the semester at SFA.
Not a bad place to work for full-time students
Procurement Assistant (Current Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXMarch 29, 2015
Typical day of work incudes delivering mail to departments and paperwork

I learned how the mailing systems work
The Management are the best hands down
The hardest part may be lifting paper
Great atmosphere- wonderful clients and co-workers
AARC Supplemental Instructor (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXFebruary 3, 2015
I learned to deal with many different personalities and how to engage each of them in wanting to learn. Staff is very flexible and helpful.
Pros
freedom and flexibility in scheduling sessions
Cons
sometimes difficult to engage clients in wanting to learn topics
Great enviroment
Lab Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXJanuary 7, 2015
I would teach a class of 30 students and walk around helping them understand the concepts. I would then grade papers and have another class and do the same thing. Working with students who cheat is a down side to teaching, but being a part of educating students and helping them get the material is the most rewarding experience.
Graduate research and teaching assistants [will do about anything]
Teaching/Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXDecember 1, 2014
I enjoyed every minute of my time at SFASU. Working with the fire ecology and GIS groups was a driving factor towards my knowledge and passion in the fields. I was exposed no only to projects but various stages and responsibilities of research management and teaching.

4.6