Stephen F. Austin State University

Stephen F. Austin State University Employee Reviews

Good Benefits
Management (Current Employee) –  Stephen F. Austin State UniversityJune 8, 2016
As with many government organizations while they provide good benefits they may not provide opportunities for advancement.
The work hours are standard 8 to 5.
The management team fails to value the human resources (ie. employees), while it is a college there are few to no programs available to enhance an employees skill set.
The university is one of the best places to work in the city - if you do your job no one can not get you fired, and the benefits for the area are better then any other company.
Pros
benifits
Cons
higher management
Student Athlete
Collegiate Volleyball Player/Team Captain (Current Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXFebruary 15, 2017
The athletics program at SFA is a competitive and friendly environment that pushes their athletes to be the best player and person they can be. All of the athletes support and interact with other teams.
SFA is a great place to work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXJanuary 23, 2017
The benefits are great and the people are like family. I have been with SFA for 12 years and am now pursuing my goal to become a nurse.
One of the best jobs ever!
Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXFebruary 15, 2017
Stephen F. Austin State University carries so much depth and character on its campus. Not only do you get to work with some great people, you get to grow within your job, not only professionally but personally as well.
Pros
Great People, great campus
Cons
pay is horrible but you get free room and board
The College of Forestry and Agriculture has good people
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXMay 21, 2016
As a graduate research assistant the job is mostly dependent on who you have as an advisor/major professor. I really enjoyed my time here. Lots of freedom to conduct research. Co-workers were great. SFA in general I rate lower. Things like not being able to use the gym unless enrolled for that exact period of time is really annoying and shows the concern for money or profit.
Pros
Lots of freedom, flexible hours
Cons
Annoying lack of benefits
Keep your day job
Campus Tour Guide (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXJanuary 31, 2017
being a campus tour guide does not pay the bills. It is a job for students, you do about one tour a week and it pays minimum wage. Students do it for the experience more than the money
Stephen F. Austin State University
Clincal Instructor (Current Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXMay 20, 2016
Working at SFASU is great, The culture is to grow students in their selected field of study. I would encourage anyone to attend SFA as a student who wants a personal touch. The professors there are very compassionate and caring. The work culture is pleasant and helpful.
Great People
Graduate Assistant to the Dean (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXSeptember 7, 2016
Working with educators who truly care about their students and university was a blessing. I would recommend working at this university to any of my peers.
Student Career Advocate
Student Career Advocate (Current Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXMarch 29, 2016
This department handles many incoming questions from students and alumni about their future or current career options and opportunities.
Great university that helps students learn critical thinking and practical skills.
Associate Professor (Current Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXMay 29, 2016
This is a wonderful place to work because each professor is encouraged to use his or her own gifts to help undergrad and master's degree students succeed.
Pros
Opportunities to create online classes as well as face-to-face
Post-Doctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXMay 18, 2016
I was able to explore my full potential as an employee of this institution. The supportive environment here made me proud. I will always call SFASU my second home.
Geology Department is awesome with great people
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXFebruary 15, 2016
As far as teaching assistants go, this is a great place to educate students about geology. Salary is not the greatest, but the workload is minimal.
Very fun
Van Driver (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXMay 31, 2016
I did not work a lot but the people i drove were always nice and fun. The places we visited were always interesting. I always drove safe and arrived at the destination safely and on time.
Great job for somoeone who truly cares about University programs
Spirit Coordinator and Head Cheerleading Coach (Current Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXMay 21, 2012
My current job required many hours of overtime, but working with the students on a daily basis was very rewarding.
I learned that every person has a different style of learning and communicating and in order to reach people you have to find out those styles and apply them.
Management was generally laid back, and once given a task, employees were excpted to complete said task within the time allotted, to the highest standard.
My co-workers, much like myself, were generally all so involved in their areas that there was little to no time to form relationships.
The hardest part of the job was managing to fit in personal time for myself. With over 100 students looking to me for advice, daily office hours, daily practices, athletic events, performances and appearances several times per week, finding time to sit back and relax was a challenging, but necessary, time to work into my schedule.
The most enjoyable part of my job is working with my students. I absolutely love my students, and then program I work with.
Pros
good healthcare benefits
Cons
long and inconsistent hours
Great environment
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXJanuary 13, 2016
Great work environment. Management was great and very helpful. The job was unsupervised and the clients were a joy to work with. I highly recommend working here.
Presenting workshops to student who are academically struggling
AARC Presenter (Former Employee) –  Steen LibraryAugust 24, 2015
Working as an AARC Presenter was a wonderful experience. The program itself was known as "H.O.P.E." (Hard work, Optimism, Persistence, Excellence). Each day I would give workshops to students who were on academic probation. Myself and co-workers worked diligently to design specialized material to help students further engage in their school work. We taught a different topic each week such as time management, organization, study skills, Note-taking, reading and writing skills, test strategies, etc. We not only gave them helpful and useful tools, but we also mentored each student. The hardest part was getting everyone to open up in a group environment. Once the students were comfortable (some sooner than others) sharing the kinds of issues they were having both on and off campus, we were able to individually mentor. I truly enjoyed getting to know these students and believe that the HOPE Program was a beneficial program for struggling students. Unfortunately, the board (for reasons unknown) was unable to continue our program into Fall 2016.
Pros
This position allowed me to work around my personal SFA schedule.
Fun place to work with several people at one table, challenging.
Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXOctober 11, 2015
Enjoyed tutoring several people in several subjects. Pay was competitive with any other college job but I left to do private tutoring.
Pros
Meeting new people every day and teaching them.
Cons
Sometimes only and a few hours to try to help a dozen or more students.
Very Flexible work study program
Student Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXAugust 21, 2012
A typical day consisted of helping students to locate campus jobs and future careers through the university website and career services library. I would assist with any administrative duty that needed to be done by the department. I also helped to coordinate business and teacher job fairs. Our managers were great and we worked well together. Their isn't anything hard about serving people to me.
Pros
gained skills in administration and built lasting relationships with faculty.
Stephen F. Austin Education Department
Research Specialist and Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXJune 14, 2013
What a wonderful place to work. I could not find advancement given that I graduated from there, but the time I was able to work there was extremely rewarding. It has an excellent family style setting and staff. They are also extremely scholarly driven, and I would recommend that anyone looking for a great place to live and work to check it out.
Pros
Just about everything
Cons
Kind of in the middle of nowhere
Productive and Fun workplace
Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXSeptember 9, 2015
Handle residential information and personal items
management related to the work of a landlord/building supervisor

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Stephen F. Austin State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.6