Stephen F. Austin State University

Stephen F. Austin State University Employee Reviews

Working as a Student at School
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXJuly 15, 2017
A typical day working as a student worker is usually slow-paced in most departments. Some days you do nothing, others you are slam-packed full of tasks, but such is the life of a student worker my manager told me. I enjoyed my time working there. I almost always had something to do and when I didn't, my manager allowed me to work on schoolwork.
Friendly and stable work environment.
Disability Services Exam Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXJuly 13, 2017
My work experiences have been extremely positive. I would suggest to anyone that is looking for employment to check into Stephen F. Austin State University.
Pros
Paid time off such as holiday time.
Educational working environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXJuly 9, 2017
Excellent staff. Conducted field plots in Davy Crockett national forest for research data and for controlled burns. I worked as a research assistant here for the forestry department.
Pros
Work at your own pace
Cons
Hot days
I love working here
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXJuly 8, 2017
The staff is super nice and totally wiling to work around my school schedule. Everyone will hep you out with any issue you have in a heartbeat and sometimes I feel like I don't want to go home at the end of the day!
Great Internship While Being A Student
Social Media Intern (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXJuly 3, 2017
I worked as a social media intern for the College of Business for about a year before becoming the head intern and mentor for future interns for another year. I enjoyed meeting once a week to plan our posts and events while still having the creative freedom to change it up.
Research Assistant
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXJune 28, 2017
Worked as a research assistant for sfa forestry and biology departments. Enjoys working with everyone there and learned a lot from them. Could not have asked for a better job.
Productive and fun workplace
Supplemental Instruction Leader (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXJune 20, 2017
Tutored students who struggled with Math and Business courses. Also, provided different techniques students can use to ensure the best type of studying for each particular student.
Most enjoyable part
Game Day Cheer Coach (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXJune 14, 2017
Working for the spirit teams program for SFA is an honor. After being on the team for 3 years and becoming a member of the family, it meant so much more being able to coach them. The athletes were respectful and hard working, making my job easy and enjoyable.
Great Place
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXJune 7, 2017
The nice thing about SFASU is that they are always willing to work with their employees. They are respectful, understanding, and friendly. The typical work day does not spontaneously change and things flow very well.
Amazing University
Student Activities Association (Former Employee) –  TexasJune 6, 2017
This place is awesome. i recommend anyone to get involved and make something happen here. This place is great. Just put your mind to it and youll make some great unique memories.
Student Assistant
Assist in teaching toddlers the fundamentals (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXApril 9, 2017
Very relaxed workplace easily recommended as a part time job for full time students. Provides a highly manageable schedule that is created around classes.
productive work environment with a friendly staff
Student Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXApril 6, 2017
a typical day at work consist of checking in books, counting the drawer and assisting patrons with a variety of services such as printing, faxing, private rooms and researching articles or books. Knowledge obtained within the working environment included learning about the Texas Library of Congress, Researching various topics and supervisor skills. The culture of the workplace is diverse. The hardest part of the job is trying to study while working, its very fast pst so usually it is impossible to do class work. The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with student employees and staff.
Must thrive on underappreciation!
Management (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXApril 5, 2017
Many days it is impossible to get your job done because of the bureaucracy getting in the way and the lack of support from leadership to empower employees to get their job done. Many of the "voluntary" initiatives are ridiculous, have no value and are actually compulsory. The executive leadership is stuck in the past and has no idea how to make the university relevant in the 21st century. The leadership and Board of Regents are more concerned about sports and the size of the video board at the football stadium than they are with the reason the university exists which is to educate students.
Pros
Beautiful campus and great benefits
Cons
Stressful work environment, low pay, lack of respect from executive management toward employees. Lacks strategic direction.
Nice location, low pay for the type of work
Associate Professor (Current Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXMarch 29, 2017
Nacogdoches is a beautiful location and great for a young family looking for a quiet, safe location. Salaries, however are well below the national average.
Student Athlete
Collegiate Volleyball Player/Team Captain (Current Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXFebruary 15, 2017
The athletics program at SFA is a competitive and friendly environment that pushes their athletes to be the best player and person they can be. All of the athletes support and interact with other teams.
One of the best jobs ever!
Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXFebruary 15, 2017
Stephen F. Austin State University carries so much depth and character on its campus. Not only do you get to work with some great people, you get to grow within your job, not only professionally but personally as well.
Pros
Great People, great campus
Cons
pay is horrible but you get free room and board
Keep your day job
Campus Tour Guide (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXJanuary 31, 2017
being a campus tour guide does not pay the bills. It is a job for students, you do about one tour a week and it pays minimum wage. Students do it for the experience more than the money
SFA is a great place to work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXJanuary 23, 2017
The benefits are great and the people are like family. I have been with SFA for 12 years and am now pursuing my goal to become a nurse.
Great People
Graduate Assistant to the Dean (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXSeptember 7, 2016
Working with educators who truly care about their students and university was a blessing. I would recommend working at this university to any of my peers.
Good Benefits
Management (Current Employee) –  Stephen F. Austin State UniversityJune 8, 2016
As with many government organizations while they provide good benefits they may not provide opportunities for advancement.
The work hours are standard 8 to 5.
The management team fails to value the human resources (ie. employees), while it is a college there are few to no programs available to enhance an employees skill set.
The university is one of the best places to work in the city - if you do your job no one can not get you fired, and the benefits for the area are better then any other company.
Pros
benifits
Cons
higher management