Stephen F. Austin State University

Stephen F. Austin State University Employee Reviews

Fun, education-oriented environment
Spanish Professor/GA/tutor (Current Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXMay 7, 2015
I loved teaching at SFA University because the students are great and the professors are very easy to talk to. During a typical day I taught one or two classes while also attending Grad school. I learned so many new techniques in teaching Spanish from veteran professors that have done it for many years and have so much wisdom and experience. The hardest part of the job was preparing all the material for the classes and also struggling with some students that did not want to invest the time to study for your class. The most enjoyable part was my co workers in the department, everyone is so attentive and genuinely nice to you and try to help you out as much as they can.
Pros
flexibility in your schedule
Cons
The pay for an adjunct faculty member is not very good
Job
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TexasJuly 23, 2015
Being a TA was easy, fun, and was really well supported by faculty. The only downside was the compensation. I would gladly go back and teach.
Pros
Predictable schedule, fun
Cons
Low pay
Graduate research and teaching assistants [will do about anything]
Teaching/Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXDecember 1, 2014
I enjoyed every minute of my time at SFASU. Working with the fire ecology and GIS groups was a driving factor towards my knowledge and passion in the fields. I was exposed no only to projects but various stages and responsibilities of research management and teaching.
Not a bad place to work for full-time students
Procurement Assistant (Current Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXMarch 29, 2015
Typical day of work incudes delivering mail to departments and paperwork

I learned how the mailing systems work
The Management are the best hands down
The hardest part may be lifting paper
Union but don't join. employees mistreated prices too high for what they offered.
Student (Current Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXApril 14, 2012
I loved this job. I worked in a kitchen that let me be as creative as supplies would allow. Children would come in on tours and I was allowed to let them decorate a small cake that they took with them. The students made this job fulfulling and their needs were offten overlooked because of profit inspite of high meal prices. I made tons of biscuits from scratch, decorated cakes for all occasions which cause me to be creative on a zero budget. Popular trends were not possible because of no supplies to work with. I worked with weddings, receptions, and catering. This job gave me the confidence to start my own wedding business.
Pros
free lunches, great schedules
Cons
employees forced to work short-handed.
Productive and enjoyable workplace
Community Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXJune 22, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of office hours and event planning. I learned how to develop a fun, safe, and educational community where my peers lived. My co-workers consisted of 20 college students who helped me develop the community we lived in. The hardest part of the job was being an authority figure over students who were my age and also my friends. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the student life of Stephen F. Austin State University.
Living at work with friends
Community Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXApril 29, 2014
I was a community assistant in a freshman hall at my university. I worked in Steen Hall, which was two towers tall and had a total of ten floors on each tower. I worked on the east side on the ninth floor which gave me the opportunity to work on the coed side. Every other morning I worked my desk shifts downstairs at the front desk so I would wake up and get dresses and ride the elevator down to work. It was nice literally living at work, but it was also so tiring because I was always there. That was probably the hardest part of the job, because I had to learn how to balance a full time schedule of classes, and a full time job. I felt like I could never get away from my boss, because he lived on the first floor. I had great coworkers and we had a lot of fun working together. The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to interact with my students on my floor and build relationships with them. I still talk to quite a few of them today.
Pros
Friends everywhere, free food
Cons
Living at work, never got a real break
Great work environment
History Supplemental Instructor (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXOctober 29, 2015
Wonderful work environment with good people. Good hours, supportive administration, happy people
Typical day as a supplemental instructor involved going to classes and leading study groups.
State University Employment
Project Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXJune 22, 2015
Working for SFA, you come to have a sense of belonging. You build strong relationships with your fellow co-workers and the institution itself. The hardest part of any job on campus is having to wait on other employees to do part of their job so that you can continue yours. The most enjoyable part of the job is the family feeling of every academic department.
Carol is amazing
Assistant for the Convention Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXFebruary 17, 2014
Carol is the best boss. She is so fun to work for and really appreciated our hard work! Always taught me great life lessons as well as career goals
Great College position
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort worth TXSeptember 8, 2014
The position is perfect for students attending school and looking for a job.
Pros
work life balance, flexable
Cons
not many hours
Great atmosphere (mostly)
Community Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXSeptember 24, 2015
Depending on what Residence Hall that you worked in, a typical work day can range from peaceful to hectic. But for the most part it was a great experience
Great learning and research environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXFebruary 2, 2014
My Research advisor will and has done anything possible to advance my areas of research and provide materials and instruments to complete quality research in your field of choice.

I learned a variety of imaging techniques for thin films and nanostructures (i.e. SEM - EDS, AFM, STM) as well as methods to create quality thin films for devices such as my Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells of which my research entails.
Pros
Flexible work hours (research)
Learning environment laid back and effective
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXJuly 3, 2013
- Thesis research, classwork, studying etc.
- Have learned more about how to learn, relying upon self-motivation and determination to complete a task
- Difficulty in addressing certain issues involving procedural time-frames due to inadequate leadership
- Able to have learned a multi-faceted approach to the geological sciences
Pros
Free access to data, lab equipment, big office
Cons
Leadership base is lacking
Learned a lot about video production and great enviroment
Technical Director (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXJuly 13, 2015
I loved this job, made great friends while learning and producing good quality videos. Worked with tricastor and produced for ESPN3.
Pros
few hours.
Cons
Always worked sports events while my friends attended them.
A wonderful place where I have got to work with many different people.
Camp Assistant (Current Employee) –  Nacogodoches, TexasJune 19, 2015
I learned how to be able to switch from different tasks day to day.
My co workers were many returning workers and were willing to work with me to help me catch up in a new environment.
Great enviroment
Lab Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXJanuary 7, 2015
I would teach a class of 30 students and walk around helping them understand the concepts. I would then grade papers and have another class and do the same thing. Working with students who cheat is a down side to teaching, but being a part of educating students and helping them get the material is the most rewarding experience.
Student Assistant in Res Life
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXApril 14, 2015
This job is mainly clerical. Great job for a college student, I learned a lot. It was difficult around the office, not very professional environment. Felt like I had to walk on egg shells all the time.
Pros
flexibility, experience
Cons
not professional
Great atmosphere- wonderful clients and co-workers
AARC Supplemental Instructor (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXFebruary 3, 2015
I learned to deal with many different personalities and how to engage each of them in wanting to learn. Staff is very flexible and helpful.
Pros
Freedom and flexibility in scheduling sessions
Cons
Sometimes difficult to engage clients in wanting to learn topics
Student Employee
Student Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXJune 22, 2015
Great for being flexible for current students. Pay isn't stellar but it's enough to get you through. Don't expect to learn much from most student positions, but any job is what you make of it.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Stephen F. Austin State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.6