Sterilmed Employee Reviews

great environment
distributor (Former Employee) –  Maple Grove, MNMay 4, 2016
They had a great team of workers and had a fun experience. I have also learn how to drive a picker and learn many things about medical devices.
Pros
learning new things
Cons
a little far from home
Repair of surgical instruments on-site at hospitals or surgery centers
on-site repair technician (Former Employee) –  Metro Detroit AreaApril 25, 2016
Sterilmed provided trucks with adequate tools and equipment to perform daily duties. I traveled out of state to service other Sterilmed accounts.
I learned how to inspect, repair, sharpen and/or modify instruments.
I worked alone in a van/truck and my daily contact was with the surgical teams.
Management was hands off, communicating with me by phone or email.
At times it was difficult to deal with Sterilmed management. They were located out of state.
New work was the responsibility of the sales representative and she was not effective in her position.
The most enjoyable part of the job was developing relationships with my customers and meeting and/or exceeding their needs.
Pros
good pay
Cons
Breakdown in communication with management.
A good place to get your foot in the door at Johnson and Johnson
Account Manager/Inside Sales (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, MNMarch 24, 2016
The company's mission is something that I personally believe in. They provide hospitals a means of lowering medical device costs while maintaining the same level of clinical care.

Overall, Sterilmed is a good little company and a great way to enter the J&J family. It can provide you an access point to branch out to the other more established companies in the J&J family.

My problem with Sterilmed would originate with the lack of communication. There are many occasions when issues in the back office are not fully explained to those in the front office or the sales force. It leaves them out on a limb and makes it difficult for them to handle customer complaints.

There is an inconsistency on how some of the processes work in the company. You get contradictory answers for almost every questioned asked about how a process works in the company. Very disjointed and a huge cause of frustration.
Enjoyed coworkers, could achieve anything working together.
Engineering Technician (Current Employee) –  Plymouth MnJune 18, 2015
Good place to work, great benefits and flexible with hours. Company is very family first oriented. The only down fall was communication between upper management and employees not always clear. Job title and expectations were totally opposite which effected reviews.
wonderful people,with a go get it additude
On-Site Technician (Former Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCJune 2, 2015
worked for them a short time would have loved to been there for ever but only got 20 hour a week, loved every moment.
Learned everything about surgical instrument with this company. Very enjoyable staff at all Hospitals where I worked on site Good ethics good people skills. A no hassle company.
Great company to work for....
Collection Technician (Current Employee) –  Palm SpringsMay 7, 2015
I have 4 sites I collect medical used devices from. I start 0730 till about 1500. I collect a variety of devices from multiple collection points in each site. My manager is really awesome, currently she is helping the sales reps for my site. She is always one phone call away.Its rare that that i see her, when I do its always positive, an she is coming to do in-services for our clients. I don't have coworkers in this job. I don't think tere is a hard part to this job. Consistency is key for our customers. I enjoy speaking with all my clients, and it great to meet other along the way.
Pros
Independence, schedule, and customers
Cons
No room for advancement.
Great coworkers and management, bad parent company
Part-time Collection Technician (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 20, 2015
Sterilmed has gone through many changes and when I was hired it was great. Management of Sterilmed was open, honest, and supportive, but the management of the parent company (JNJ) that makes the decisions for Sterilmed is atrocious! They have no idea what it takes to be successful in the reprocessing business. I was hired in December and by January JNJ had decided that Sterilmed needed to restructure and eliminated ALL of the part-time positions. The only remaining positions were full-time account service reps who are responsible for building the companies business, but also must pick up and ship ALL the reprocessibles from the accounts. Its just way too much for one person here in Jacksonville.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
poor UPPER management in parent company.
Great experience learning about medical devices and how they are used. Working together with great team players.
On Site Tech/Collection Tech (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 19, 2015
Overall working at Sterilmed has been a great learning experience with medical devices. I was fortunate to have many teachers along side of me to help reach my goals of becoming a success in the field. Management supported all efforts and changes I had made to further increase collections. My day would take me to different accounts to do collections in all different departments of the hospital. I would pack and ship product accordingly.The hardest part of my job was that I learned the company is restructuring the field service and my job will end February 13th 2015 along with many others through out the US.
Pros
Great team of people
Cons
Company wide On site techs being cut from full time to part December 23 2013.
Good place for advancement.
Lead (Current Employee) –  Maple Grove, MNDecember 7, 2014
A typical day begins with a shift hand off with the previous department, or departments when other leads are not present.

What I learned working at Sterilmed is that there are many ways you can lead a department or associates. The motivation you give people and the recognition a person or team can go a long way. You will gain the respect and the trust of one or all individuals. The more information that you can give them, that they can know, they will appreciate it more. They feel like they are a part of the company being in the loop and not feel left out.

Management is good but with advancement opportunity you will get new workers that will try to guide you but don't know much about the departments. It's hard to get answers when someone is new at a managers job but that comes with training. They were horrible when there was a company that bought us and we did not know about it until the day before. We didn't get any heads up at all.

My co-workers were great. Always willing to lend a hand. Did not complain, help when needed, and were always respectful.

The hardest part about working at Sterilmed was dealing with associates that were not following instructions given.

The most I enjoyed about my job was the learning experience about what the equipment and devices does. Being a lead and going to a Supervisor 1 class was very educational in both work and life.
Pros
Advancement.
Cons
In the past there was not enough communication but has got a little better.
challenged projects
Principal Engineer (Former Employee) –  Maple Grove, MNNovember 14, 2014
Pay and manager are the things that will help you to choose a nice job.
fun place to work
On-Site Technician (Former Employee) –  Maple Grove, MNOctober 29, 2014
great co-workers.
excellent salary and opportunity for advancement
flexible work schedule
Cons
corporate management needs a shake up
I enjoying the flexability of schedule and talking with staff at the hospital.
Onsite Technician (Current Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYJuly 4, 2014
A typical day includes my arrival to the hospital and checking in with my key contacts, to insure that everything is running smoothly. Than I make my rounds to the floors, ER, cath lab, endo suite and collect all my things to ship out to corporate. I save the OR for the last and I pick up all my single use devices and recyclables.

I learned a lot about reprocessing single use devices and the cost savings to the hospital for doing this.

Management is very understanding and willing to go the extra mile to help out.

my co-workers seem nice, I work alone and my closest co-worker is over an hour away. Everyone helps out when needed.

Hardest part of my job would be explaining to staff at the hospital that reprocessing these devices is 100% safe and could even function better than a new device.

Most enjoyable part of my job would be just talking to staff at the site and being friendly and professional towards everyone.
Pros
flexibility with my schedule
Cons
Lack of hours worked.
Professional and productive work environment
Regional Field Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Northeast RegionJune 11, 2014
Working inside healthcare facilities along with nurses, doctors, and staff is fast pace at times with a lot of attention to detail. I perform in-services with hospital staff and organize/ implement SterilMed's reprocessing program. My co-workers are much help as we are all dispersed throughout the US and often travel to work with eachother. Travel is also needed when I am training SterilMed Collection Techs in the Northeast Region.
Treated with trust and respect for my past experience
Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Maple Grove, MNMay 25, 2014
Great Company! I've enjoyed work as a contractor at Sterilmed. Management has been wonderful and the job is rewarding.
WORK Enviroment
QA Tester (Former Employee) –  MNDecember 15, 2013
Good Working environment
and good salary
Great Management
Good compensation
Communicate/Connect/Commit/Celebrate
On-Site Technician (Current Employee) –  Asheville, NCOctober 7, 2013
Sterilmed Inc has been a company experiencing rapid growth. Along with that growth has come professional growth opportunities. Challenges have presented themselves resulting in decisions to reorganize divisions of the company.
Pros
Growth opportunities, pay & benefits
Cons
Relatively new company, rapid growth, quite a bit of recent change
I enjoyed interacting with the staff and office personnel.
On-Site Technician (Former Employee) –  Dallas,/ FT. Worth,TXAugust 7, 2013
I traveled around the Dallas/ Ft.Worth area to hospitals and surgery centers, where I would pick-up, sort, package and ship used medical instruments to Mn. to be reprocessed. I coordinated with Department Heads and Sterile Processing as well as the OR in regards to orders and returns. Since I had been a Surgical Technologist I already knew the instruments and the procedures of moving around the hospitals so it wasn't something that was out of the ordinary. I enjoyed the staff and had a great relationship with them all.
Pros
It was familiar territory.
Cons
I did a lot of traveling around and traffic is horrible up here.
very nice place to work
Inspector (Current Employee) –  Maple GroveMay 22, 2013
Inspects medical devices
train other employees
assemble some of the devices
Constant work and serious work place
Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn Park, MNMay 14, 2013
As a Shipping and Receiving Clerk I had to keep up with the constant flow of the orders. I learned the proper procedures of shipping and receiving. Management was always there to assist with any problem that i might've had. My co-workers where very hard working and motivated me to stay ahead. the hardest part of the job was when times where the computer software would freeze and get me behind. The most enjoyable part of the job was the opportunities for over time.
Pros
Steady pay and hours.
Good idea, poor strategy
On-site technician  (Current Employee) –  GeorgiaMay 13, 2013
You will be overworked, and underpaid. EES is taking most of the commission and all sales force commission was cut in January 2013. Management is new and has no clue what they are doing. The company has gone down hill since J&J took them over.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Lots of work in the evenings, poor management. No room for advancement.