Steris Employee Reviews

Ups and downs
Field Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Mentor, OHJune 7, 2017
Pays well, much traveling. Schedule was screwed up, often mixing two different routes in similar areas. Trained you one way in PA, then tell you different way from regional trainer. If you like the travel and working on steam equipment and pipes, take it.
Pros
Pay and vehicle usage
Cons
Training was not universal throughout.
morons leading morons
Nanny/Babysitter (Former Employee) –  Saxonburg, PAMay 27, 2017
Morons misleading other morons. Do you want to be exposed to the dregs of society? Do you want your IQ to drop 50 points? Then work for these aholes.

incompetent management. they hire very low IQ morons. incompetent management.
Pros
Cons
Fat cats making huge salaries on the backs of morons
great place to work
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Mentor, OHApril 26, 2017
my last review i wrote was about steris. we meet in the morning, we either go pull orders and pack orders that have already been pulled. pay attention to order numbers, lot numbers and quanity.
I learned a lot of valuable information
Sterile Processing Technician (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, IN 46260April 23, 2017
In this field you never stop learning. I really have a passion for doing this job with high ethics. I really enjoyed working together as a team to fulfill the needs for the patient who is having surgery.
Stay away from IMS
Previous employee (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 28, 2017
Youll be sorry if you accept a position with IMS.
This company does not know how to manage a sterile processing department.
The treatment of employees was unbelievable.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Treatment and lack of respect
Don't judge a book by it's cover.
Engineering (Current Employee) –  Mentor, OHFebruary 21, 2017
On the surface it may seem like a decent company; Shiny building, fancy recruitment videos, decent stock performance. Don't be fooled. This place is a career dead end.

Management is ineffective. If you happen to be motivated, you will not be recognized because there is not a followed performance appraisal system. Promotion from within is rare. Non-performers will survive on the backs of the performers.

The tools given are outdated and unsupported which makes it impossible to stay sharp. I have lost the competitive edge since working there. They have reached a point that updating any systems is a Herculean task because of years of refusal to invest in modern systems.

Limited on-boarding puts the onus on the new employee to get up to speed. There is very little continuous training/development. You will more than likely have to learn an out-of-date software.

The only well run divisions are the recently acquired ones. If you work for one of these companies, hope that they are hands off. All company growth is by acquisition and on the back of legacy products. None from organic new product development.

Wellness programs, benefits, culture have been eroding over many years.

You will never see STERIS on a "best workplace" list because they refuse to participate. For obvious reasons.
Pros
Cafe, free coffee, Medical industry
Cons
Culture, Management, tools
bad
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Waukegan, ILFebruary 9, 2017
bad company for everyone. out of order. not in scequence. bad management. no one talks to each other. unhealthy company for anyone to work there. keep away.
Tough Place to be
Corporate Accounts Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Mentor, OHFebruary 1, 2017
High turnover. Either managers like you or do not and almost impossible to please them all. If your manager likes you then you succeed, and if not then you do not. High turnover.
Stay away
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 25, 2017
Management is terrible. The job itself is great but, there are managers who should't be managers. If you are looking to advance your career this is not the place. To many politics and if you aren't apart of the click you want be there long.
Pros
The job is rewarding
Job not for everyone
Material Handler I (Current Employee) –  Ontario, CAJanuary 19, 2017
Repetitive and long, you stand on your feet for 12 hours a day doing the same work over and over. Must work all holidays, while management has it off.
It's a dead end job.
Technician (Current Employee) –  Chesterfield, MOJanuary 12, 2017
The job is a bench technician position. Be okay with doing one thing day in and out. There is zero advancement. Some techs have been techs for more than ten years.

Management is okay but some are either pushovers or ego maniacs. The manager that can actually make decisions lets the others walk all over him.

The pay is okay but not worth the time. They will ask you to show up early and work overtime without incentive. I don't count pay and a half as incentive.

High turnover, coworkers okay, it's a job.
Pros
Job security, soccer field in back.
Cons
Poor management, too much asked of employees, no incentive or reward for the work, no advancement, does not promote from within.
We have free Tea/Coffee with two 20 minutes paid break time
Cath Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Maple Grove, MNNovember 14, 2016
A typical day at work. After clocking in, I gown into clean-room attire. On the floor I Calibrate and set all catheters testing equipment and depending on what is ready on the floor, I work on the priority jobs. I learned how to work independently making sure the work is right before it leaves your area to the next staging area. I have very supportive co-workers and we all work as a team. The hardest part is when I have to sacrifice family time to meet production demand. The most enjoyable part is when you I get compliments from the supervisor for job well-done and meeting customer expectations.
Pros
You own your job quality
Cons
Congested work area
Sterilization Company
Warehouse Assistant (Former Employee) –  South Plainfield, NJOctober 17, 2016
A sterilization Company located close to garden state parkway and NJ turnpike. Two 12 hour shift operation. I enjoyed my job and performed it to well increasing accuracy and decreasing errors, .
Good culture with advancement opportunities.
Region Manager (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJune 1, 2016
I had a great 17 years at STERIS and enjoyed a lot of success. FDA issues prompted re-organization and cut backs. STERIS has a great culture and great people.
Pros
Culture, advancement, compensation.
Cons
FDA issues, quality issues.
Over time
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Mentor, OHApril 12, 2016
I loved my job at Steris. I worked over time every day I was there. I would pick up my orders, go to the warehouse and fill the order. I would return to my area and re-check that I had all my parts. I would package, label and ship my order. I would load and unload trucks. During my time at Steris I did not have much contact with management . My co workers were great, most were temps, and when they got to almost 6 months they were let go (as was I) The hardest part of my job was working non stop overtime to try and prove what a dedicated worker I was, how badly I wanted to work, and be taught new things. When I received the safety award over workers that had been their for years,
Pros
Learning new jobs, great team, wage, Over Time
Cons
finding out after being told by temp agency that I would be hired, and finding out they don't hire the temps, just job fillers.
Productive work environment
Material Handler/Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXApril 5, 2016
A typical day at work could be described as busy. I learned that working together as one can get the job completed faster and more professional. My co workers and I arrive, get all the materials needed for the day and start working as a team to get all tasks done. I would say the hardest thing about my job are the twelve hour shifts and my most enjoyable thing about my job is the pay and management.
Clean workplace
Bio Production (Current Employee) –  Mentor, OHMarch 14, 2016
The company is very strong on safety and cleanliness.We are required to fill out documentation for all work lots compliant with FDA regulations for medical products.
I Learned production skills through Procedures how to work efficiently to customer needs.
Benefits
Cons
Needs better organization
Still grasping at new technologies!
Instructional Designer (Former Employee) –  Mentor, OHMarch 2, 2016
Steris definitely provides one with a sense of job security, but other companies are leaving them in the dust when it comes to the use of new technologies in the workplace (tablets and Notebooks vs desktops). They are also slow to meet candidates halfway on the 'work-from-home' option.

Another area that requires improvement is management. Too often, seasoned personnel are promoted, rather than retrained for a position more suitable to their strengths. The result is poor or mismanaged staff and resources.

In order to attract and keep new talent, they'll have to embrace new leadership and technological approaches.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Technologically lacking, mismanagement of employees and resources
Decent depending on the position
Surgical Repair Technician (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAFebruary 13, 2016
Having been recently hired with the company that had acquired several other companies in the past, everything here is kind of a cluster. The systems, administration and training is still being decided on as people bicker which method is the best.

Training is 4 weeks for the Clinical Repair Consultants and Surgical Repair Technicians which isn't a lot in the industry. Scissors as of Jan. 2016 is not part of the Surgical Repair Technician training program yet they expect you to serve the hospitals (note: the quickest way to get kicked from the hospital is to screw up the scissors).

The administration for the mobile (trucks) gets hectic at times when you got to track expenses for the truck, supplies, tools, conduct repairs, charging for repairs, track trays and maintenance. You also fill out DOT logs for the trucks, do expense reports, end of the day reports for each hospital that day, keeping random records of the truck, dealing with hospital staff, etc. You will be doing all of this as a Clinical Repair Consultant and some of this stuff as a Surgical Repair Tech depending on the territory. For me, they have me as a tech but doing more Clinical Repair Consultant responsibilities.

Some days are easy and others are not. Generally there is no way to tell. Clinical Repair Consultants are salaried and get 1% commission. The Surgical Repair Techs are hourly and starting pay isn't great. There are also constant phone conferences which adds to the work you already have.

Being able to constantly move and multi-task are key to both positions. If you have basic mechanical skills,
  more... organization skill, and can drive a large vehicle (if you are assigned to the truck) you are set. In one day you may have to travel over a hundred miles just to service an account. Sometimes when the customer is late giving you trays it sets everything back and ruins your job.  less
Pros
Benefits like health and 401k are decent, my team is good so far, opportunity for overtime for hourly guys
Cons
Things keep changing, it's sometimes hard to know what is expected, accounts aren't geographically ideal at times, shortage of people, training can be more organized for new hires.
Patient focused company
Clinical Operations Manager, IMS (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 29, 2016
Making patients safer is the model of Steris Corp. Company that is focused to provide excellent patient care while focusing on costumer's support to do so.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Steris. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9