Sterling Jewelers Inc.

Sterling Jewelers Inc. Employer Reviews

It was ok poor management
Sales associate (Current Employee), ohioJuly 6, 2014
The job was ok. Employees were nice but the company has poor management. There wasn't any structure in the work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee), MarylandJuly 1, 2014
You come in pull out these amazing pieces of jewelry. Assist customers to help them find the right piece of merchandise for any engagement. I loved working here, because I was paid handsomely from commission, and my hours that I put in with going to school, they also have great benefits, and you get to be a part of someone else life. Customers will – more... come back in and show you pictures,and everything. It's an amazing feeling. – less
Contests Made Job Fun But Other Points Were The Complete Opposite
Recovery II Customer Service Rep (Former Employee), Akron, OHJune 29, 2014
Cons: micro managed, no flexible scheduling
This company has a great image from the outside. The main campus does follow corporate policy. The other areas tend to be severely flawed and unfair in all policies. A dream to work a life long dream was smeared by people with ego's & management that blocked moving within the company. This feature is not something I can vote a 5 for.
Run from this Employer
Store Manager (Former Employee), Every were they are.June 29, 2014
Pros: what pros only pros are for the top brass.
Cons: cons and not write them all no room or days to write it all down.
Sterling, Inc has been arond along time and now they have the whole pie. They Own Zales, Jareds, Ultra Diamonds, Gordons, J B Robinsons, Leroy's Jewelers, You name it they own it. Of course not Tiffinay and other Highend jewelers most Middle class to low end Jewelery outfit. Theu still carry thier own credit , which they make you sell! an if you do – more... not get a customer to apply for one your days will be numbered and besure you hit all your standards or your Out the Door! The standards are not something you want to deal with, The PC program they run is not easy to use if you hve no experience with them. This place is for Robots only , And if you have a Heath issue and file for FMLA or need time for Family issues forget about it, They are not careing at all. It alls sounds like a bitter Employee but NOT SO Run from this place and never look back. Less of course you want to be a robot and make little money and work hard for no compensation ! Please look else were than this place its just not good for your mind and soul and good will for your daily work schedule to make a living. Take for all the rest of the rebiews and yur see. Infact this sterling, Inc is not a US company it is owned by Siget , Inc, UK and they also run the show in UK. Think back of the UK company Ratner Same place same ideas ans soon to be the same out come as Ratner;s outcome. Had to change names and hide under a diffrent name oh yes Signet Uk this is it . Will never change. Go to work for a company like Zappos, Tiffiney's , some were that you can feel good about going to work for each and everday. – less
Collected on Accounts that were 90 days past due and above
Collector (Former Employee), Akron, OHJune 29, 2014
Cons: the hours i was required to work
I worked 12p-9p on Sunday;
8a-5p on Monday;
12p-9p on Tuesday;
8a-5p on Wednesday;
1p-10p on Thursday;
81-5p on Friday.
Forget about it!
sales (Former Employee), USAJune 27, 2014
Pros: nice jewelry...high markup. learned alot about jems!
Cons: lies, deciept, theft of sales, short lunches
They suck all the fun out of sales with all there standards you MUST met. Commissions are LOW....then you are written up! I wish I could tell you all the deceit and lies employees will do to get your sales...management included. 10 hour days with 1/2 lunch! I seen employees written up for bad behavior 3 times and keep shipping to other stores!
If not – more... for the standards it would be a great job. – less
All around, a horrible company to work for
Full Time Sales (Former Employee), Concord, NCJune 25, 2014
Not a team environment. Everyday was like going to compete for your job the next day.
Working place where you learn a lot but never progress
Jewelry Consultant (Current Employee), Elmhurst, NYJune 23, 2014
Pros: learning experience, people skills
Cons: benefits, no vacation time or ptos, growth within the company
A day at Kay Jewelers, Sterling Inc. includes greeting customers and assisting them with purchasing a life changing gift for occasions such as an engagement, sweet 16, new baby or simply showing the love of your life how much you care. My staff and I have the ability to help these customers make the right decisions because it is very important that – more... the gift is perfect. I also have the ability to give great customer service when previous customers come back unhappy with the merchandise. Specific reasons would be a chain breaking, rings losing their original polish finish or sizing rings and bracelets to fit. When this occurs I give options of repairing or special ordering their piece. The company's first priority is making the customer happy at all times. I learn so much on how to have courtesy, hospitality, and people skills, as well as jewelry and the difference between metals used for certain pieces. I have knowledge of the 4 C's to diamond and how to read certifications for special diamonds.

My job offers a lot of lessons but I feel I can not grow within the company. For instance, I have been working there for almost two years and in the system I'm still considered seasonal. I do not get benefits such as PTOs or vacations. As of right now I should be considered a part-time associate because I have been there more than 6 months which is usually the amount of time seasonal positions last. I have spoke to my manager about this situations multiple times but I always get the same answer..that she will look into it. I feel that a lot of the decisions my manager makes are unfair to everyone on the team. I have seen certain co-workers treated wrongly and being talked about by the manager. It is a working place thats highly immature with gossip, and what makes it even worse is my manager is the one who starts the gossip and spreads it around.

I have always wanted to pursue a medical job. I have interest in anatomy, medicine, origins of diseases and cures. I just have a passion for saving lives. As odd as this sounds, I enjoy blood and gore. I can stomach a lot of things most people won't. I took EMT courses as well as Medical Assistant courses and earned a certification in CPR. For right now as I finish study for my NYS Medical Assistant certification, I would like to find a full time receptionist job at a medical facility. This way I can learn while I study. It would motivate me more to work in the environment that I want to focus on for the rest of my life. I want to start my career as soon as possible. I enjoy my job at Kay Jewelers but it is not my passion. I am 22 years old and I just want to make sure I am living stable so that I can become a successful adult. The only way I can achieve that is if I focus on school. – less
Horrible Place to Work DO NOT APPLY!
Lasion (Former Employee), North Olmsted JaredJune 20, 2014
Pros: discounts on jewelry
Cons: non relistic sales goals, terrible managment, dirty politics
I worked for this company twice in my life. I will never go back! I am very disappointed with Sterling's. For a multi million dollar company, they sure manage poorly.
I first started working at Kay, in 2010 I quit my job previous for three years, to come work for Kay's full time. I was super excited, and thrilled. I love jewelry and possess so much – more... knowledge about diamonds and such. I was let go for no reason. I knew the real reason as to why. The branch manager wanted her niece to work there in place of me. I had gotten the last full time position, and to make room for her, they gave me the boot. My sales were fine, and I enjoyed working there but was let go before my ninety days so I could not stay on full time or get my benefits.
In 2013, I decided to try again and apply at Jared's. I was recruited. Well, I thought this time around it will work out great.
I was wrong. The manager there, was a total piece of work!
She disliked me from day one, and I let it go thinking things would get better, but I was just fooling myself. I was wrong. She was a big bully, always picking on me for no reason and then discriminating me. She got mad at me, because I went to the hire up to complain about her for discrimination. Bad move on their part, I can sue the company if I wanted too and they would not know what hit them! She was buddy, buddy with the branch manager, so he would protect her!
My manager would tell me where I can go and what I can do, while others had freedom to do as they please and happily continue their job duties. I hate bullies and the manager and assistant manager were total bullies.
I was let go in May of 2013, and was told I was hired on seasonal basis and I was no longer required to work there.
I called back around Christmas time, and stated that I would like to work seasonal and I was told to go to HR. Terrible company to work for. They screw you over, to make them look good. You could be the top seller, and the Manager of the store would get the credit for it! Sure you get some incentives, but in peanuts!!! Please avoid this company! You are not missing anything, it is not the best opportunity out there. There are so many other jewelry companies out there, that will treat you better! On a good note, the manager is no longer there, but the company is terrible as a whole. – less
Managers in Recovery Dept Poor
recovery (Current Employee), AkronJune 20, 2014
Pros: great discount on jewelry
Cons: micro managed in extreme
Managers in recovery dept required to document employees 2 times a month and get rid of people. Poorly trained and not aware of HR guidelines. Very high turnover. Look elsewhere!
A great company that really cares for its employees
Credit Recovery Representative (Current Employee), Akron, OHJune 20, 2014
I found this Company to be great in terms of being very resourceful and really caring for its employees
Work Life Balance
Inventory Control Specialist (Current Employee), Akron, OHJune 18, 2014
I currently work in the Finance Department. My mangers here are understanding, reliable, and understand the importance of life outside of the office. I had some trying times and are very appreciative of the people I work for and with.
If it was easier to get a new job at the same pay i would have left years ago!
Store Manager (Current Employee), NYJune 13, 2014
Pros: understanding just how much jewelry is overpriced. great discount becuase the cost is cheap.
Cons: no work life balance. during holidays management works 70-90 work weeks
there is no job/work life balance. you are required to work a certain schedule. many 12 hours shifts in a row especially Thursdays-Mondays. the manager is the only person who gets paid a decent amount. sales associates and assistant managers get paid anywhere from 8.00 - 12.00 if you are lucky.
no job security at all. you always have to question if – more... you will have a job tomorrow.
the company is greedy and is more conferenced about how many credit applications you took in and questions why you didn't sell more today. very little positive reinforcement. constant negative feedback from upper management. the company promotes and recognizes policy breakers and unethical associates. I could go on and on about the horrors of this company. we used to sell decent merchandise, but over the last few years our jobs have turned into selling silver that constantly breaks, and we have to try and explain to the customer that , yes, they did purchase a quality product.
impossible to hit higher quota levels. they make the goals unrealistic and morale is low due to the negative energy given off by VPs – less
High Expectations
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee), Goodlettsville, TNJune 12, 2014
High expectations with not much compensation. Store managers get high praises for associates hard work.
Just say no and keep looking
Home office (Former Employee), Akron, OHJune 11, 2014
Cons: not much is good
The management acts like it is some secret society, and it is awkward. There is a lot of favoritism that goes on. The pay is really low, and the raises are usually not more than .35 a year. You will be too mentally tired when you did get off work, because they do not staff appropriately, and you are worked into the ground! The company does not care – more... about the employees. The turn over rate is massive! – less

18sa6ld1vak4g97i – July 8, 2014

It is so true about the under staffing. They do not care on higher levels about what stress you are under. Doctors in the area of home office will will attest there is a lot of Sterling employees on meds for anxiety. The culture there is you better think that this place is your life. The way people are treated the benefits are not even worth it.

Great Fellow Employees
Manager (Current Employee), Akron, OHJune 10, 2014
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
Good place to work. Good Career Advancement.
Interesting Culture.
Lots to Learn.
Many different aspects to business.
structured and geared towards success. wonderful enviroment and successful leadership.
Jeweler and custom designer (Former Employee), King of Prussia, PAJune 9, 2014
Pros: many benefits working there
Cons: many benefits working with sterling.
very structured, healthy, ambitious and successful company, that provides you everything you need to be successful also.
excellent place to work if no children
Budget Analyst (Former Employee), Fairlawn, OHJune 9, 2014
Pros: long work hours
Cons: short breaks
Very fast paced work environment. Excellent place to work and bonus. Team oriented, large call center.
Hard work long hours
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Akron, OHMay 27, 2014
Good place to work if you are able to be promoted quickly. Flexible hours good for single people.
company that allows the sky as the limit
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Fort Collins, COMay 27, 2014
Sterling Jewelers allows you to make memories in every bodies lives. Every time you are selling a product you are creating a memory for that customer.

1 2 3 4 5