Sterling Jewelers Inc.

Sterling Jewelers Inc. Employee Reviews

Corporate world in decent atmosphere
Marketing Research Analyst (Former Employee), Akron, OHMay 31, 2015
Hours are fairly normal, probably 8:00 to 5:30. Have nice amenities in the corp HQs. Generally a decent place to be with routine work and slow advancement.
Disappointed
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Parma, OHMay 28, 2015
Pros: pay
Cons: slacking in training
The job was great in the beginning, management seemed really nice and I enjoyed the training. I didn't mind that we had to help customers while filling out an entire, thick workbook. Everything seemed fine, the pay was great and everything was on schedule.

A couple weeks in and the manager leaves, that's when everything went downhill. The new manger was awesome, but things changed.

They started to slack with training, resulting in putting us out there without any knowledge on how to complete transactions properly on the ancient computer system.

Some employees were kind enough to help sometimes, but due to the store being so busy, and the registers couldn't go to training mode, we couldn't get any training done.

I felt very intimidated by an employee there. There was nothing but chit chat about past employees that they fired. Pointing out their failures on a daily basis.

I was even yelled and looked down on, when I mentioned something about my car being fixed due to some problems. I don't understand why it was such an issue because I was always on time and my significant other gave me a ride to work. Lets just say I was not impressed by how the situation was handled.

Overall, I felt like the workplace made me feel intimidated, and I didn't get the respect I deserve. I thought this would have been such a rewarding experience, but I was wrong.
Do not work here
Network Engineer (Current Employee), Akron, OHMay 23, 2015
Pros: On-site everything. Massages, Cafeteria, etc.
Cons: Political games with workers being used as pawns.
The IT department is going through a regime change. Scratch that. The IT department is going through a civil war. They hired a new CIO, and everyone in management is scambling to make themselves look good to him at the expense of everyone else. And the politics are making their way down to the people who actually make the systems work, with people being forced out and fired without notice.
Collections
RECOVERY 2 REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee), Akron, OHMay 21, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of constant data entry, long hours and many phone calls. Position would be highly stressful at times, but manageable. Some days would be mostly leaving voice-mails. I learned ways to resolve escalated situations with customers and the importance of teamwork. The management was strict but generally informative. The co-workers made the days easier to handle. They understand because they deal with it also. The hardest part of the job was the metrics. The most enjoyable part was my co-workers.
corp
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Schaumburg, ILMay 10, 2015
Pros: Co workers
Cons: short breaks no time to balance life and work
The company is largely based on volume not so much on customer base as i would have liked, more of hard sell. Pressure sales.
Design of new from the old and my co-workers great group of people fun and entergetic.
bgsd
Repair liaison Jared's - current (Current Employee), Knoxville, TNMay 8, 2015
I loved working here the hours are just crazy and the pay not enough. Benefits are fine. Coworks and management just depends on where you are but for the most part very nice.
Fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Clearwater, FLMay 5, 2015
I really enjoyed working for them, just did not pay enough for me to live on my own. Very fun work environment, loved management and everyone else I worked for.
Great Incentives
Lead Sales Manager (Former Employee), Salisbury, MDApril 29, 2015
Pros: Incentives and Commissions
Cons: Co-workers who can't handle quota pressure may lash out
I loved the incetives the company had, rewarding performers. The company also has trips and various contests which are nice.
It was a most unpleasant experience
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Poughkeepsie, NYApril 20, 2015
Pros: discounts on merchandise
Cons: everything else imaginable
Sterling Jewelers misrepresented their company when presenting it as an Employment Opportunity with opportunities for career advancement and job security. My experience was the polar opposite.
no movement for internal employees
Store Replenishment Clerk (Current Employee), Akron, OHApril 19, 2015
Pros: jewelry at cost
Cons: not many advancement opportunities
While the people who work there are great and easy to get along with, it appears that they hire from the outside in order to fill advancement opportunities, thus people who have worked there for a prolonged period of time do not get to move up into higher more responsible positions.
Productive and Effective
Account Representative (Current Employee), Akron, OHApril 12, 2015
• Calling past due customers and educating them on the status of their account.
• Negotiating on amounts to be paid to have an account become current, including offering hardship amounts to customers in need of a lower payment.
• Educating the customer on what would happen if the account were to fall another month past due.
Store Manager (Former Employee), Akron, OHMarch 31, 2015
Gives you the ability to run a P&L and maximize a bonus at the end of the year. Good people typically work but you are stuck working retail hours as well as holidays
CUSTOMER SERVICE
care and Merchandise Specialist (Current Employee), akron,ohioMarch 16, 2015
Pros: health care 401k free turkeys on thanksgiving
Cons: treated like kids
Good company at time lack of communication between stores and the home office. always on back about going to break and lunch when they can see everything that you are doing, when u can make call
call center
Special Orders Associate (Former Employee), Fairlawn, OHMarch 15, 2015
Typical call center, quota, Excel, constantly on computer, fast paced, answering customers questions about special orders, availability.
Good place to work if you are sales and retail oriented
Seasonal Part Time Sales Associate (Former Employee), Fort Lauderdale, FLMarch 4, 2015
Pros: happy, positive people and work environment
Cons: half hour lunch break, training could have been better.
Sterling Companies, Inc includes several jewelry companies. Jared is one of them. I felt quite fortunate to have had the opportunity to work and learn at Jared. The management was helpful, and enthusiastic, co workers are helpful and positive, training was a bit rushed and mostly on the job. A lot of studying about the different brands represented.
Was once productive and very fun
Temporary Assignment (Former Employee), Midland, TXMarch 3, 2015
I do not want to past judgment on this company. I believe that it is a company with much potential and great employees. There is a bright future ahead for this company.
Always Changing
Assistant (Current Employee), Fairlawn, OHFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: promotes within
Cons: some management styles
Sterling is a great company to work for, however every department varies with its teamwork and knowledge. There is great advancement within, that is a major benefit.
Great company
Quality Control Associate (Former Employee), Fairlawn, OHFebruary 22, 2015
Pros: amenities
Cons: hard to get hired
I enjoyed my time while working with the company. I learned a lot about the start to finish of processing product to ship to stores
Learning something new everyday, face paced, training is amazing
Recovery III Agent (Current Employee), Fairlawn OhioFebruary 5, 2015
Set up with a predictive dialer taking both inbound and outbound calls collecting on accounts 90 days and over, Mindful of compliiance regulations and accurate documentation. Moving desks often never secured at one place for long. Enjoyed the customer service aspects of the job being able to use top down negotiations to bring accounts currant, Building retention of customer base, was most enjoyable desk moving was the hardest part going to desk areas that were not cleaned, Manual collections and skip tracing was interesting, Having the ability to bonus on what you collect was nice. Long commute to work was my least favorite part of the job and working weekends with swing shifts.
Friendly, Open atmosphere, Great Benefits
Sales Associate (Current Employee), North OlmstedFebruary 3, 2015
After the 90 day period you become eligible for benefits, such as 401K, health insurance and vacation time, as well as good benefits Sterling has a teamwork motto that helps each employee meet and excel expectations.

1 2 3 4 5