Sterling Jewelers Inc.

Sterling Jewelers Inc. Employer Reviews

Fast paced competitive enviroment, fun as that is what I look for.
Assistance Store Manager (Former Employee), Lancaster, PAAugust 26, 2014
Pros: very good income if you are willing to work the hours and can build a good client base.
Cons: short breaks, longer hours mean higher standards required to meet.
Daily day to day working environment is usually terrific based on the team and or the store you work in. Overall corporate policy is sometimes hard to implement within the store and there doesn't always seem to be the awareness at corporate level how actual stores are run. The company has a "one size fits all" policy change that is hard to negotiate – more... depending on the store you may be working in. Special events are fun but expectations are sometimes a little high and no matter how well you are doing in every other day of that month or quarter, if a store or individual doesn't do well with a special event that seems to hold more weight then terrific sales and standards throughout other periods of time. Individual management styles in each store varies so much that a good management team can really make for a wonderful atmosphere and good energy, however just one weak link in the management team can really bring an entire team down.

It was hard to get the corporate level to support necessary changes or discharges of staff at store level. This resistance by corporate and fear of that one individual that "may" sue often brought down the energy of a store if there was a known personnel problem either a loss prevention or HR issue. – less
Fun place with funny people
Sales Associate/2nd Assistant (Former Employee), Lancaster, PAAugust 19, 2014
Either I opened with the Store Manager, Assistant Manager or another employee and began opening procedures including beginning computer/sales system, responding to emails, and preparing merchandise displays. I learned about various jewelry material including metals and stones. I also learned about selling techniques through role playing and reading – more... information about products. What I enjoyed most were the people I got to work with that made each day a learning experience while also creating a team environment. We worked really well together and kept each other laughing. The hardest part was dealing with our own company as competition. Because Belden Jewelers was a part of Sterling Jewelers Inc, I also had to worry about my sister store getting most of the business. Eventually being forced to close. – less
Please find yourself a better job!!!
Sales (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NevadaAugust 8, 2014
Pros: ok health plan, great discounts
Cons: please read review!
Jared has a very high turnover rate for a reason. First of all forget about selling Jewelry. Your primary function at Jared will be to sign people up for their high interest credit account. There are 2 sections to Jared. Diamond and Perimeter, Perimeter personnel are not allowed to sell anything with diamonds in it. When I say anything with diamonds – more... I mean anything! Most diamond people can sell whatever they want; this makes it impossible for perimeter to reach their goals. You will have 5 out of 5 standards you will have to achieve in order to keep your job. You will be hounded about your numbers constantly. The 5 of 5 standards are as follows.
1. Sales, Jared has single point pricing they are in the same family as Kay, Zale’s, JB Robinson and several other Jewelry companies that carry the exact same product they can also adjust their pricing so Jared is the most expensive place to buy Jewelry.
2. Add-ons, Every time you do sell something you are expected to sell the customer something else trust me this gets old and it is difficult.
3. Repairs, the Company sets your repair goal. If you are honest with your customers you will never reach your goal.
4. Credit, selling people a 24.99% interest credit card is tough. Not to mention 24.99% used to be against the law. Google Usury laws.
5. Watch (Swiss), People don’t buy watches anymore so good luck.
Another part of Jared is what they call TO’s or turning over to another employee. They do this so they don’t lose sales. However it is more commonly used by employees who have been there awhile to get part of your better sales. If you are selling an Omega timepiece the diamond personnel will start circling you like sharks expecting you to TO them into the sale so they now get half. If you’re selling a cheap Peridot ring or if you have a difficult customer there will be no one to help you – less
great place
Account Representative (Former Employee), akron,ohAugust 6, 2014
Pros: can earn lots of money
Cons: work a lot of hours
received and made outgoing calls in an attempt to collect a debt.
dealt with irate customers
great benefits
great employee discount
opportunity to earn a lot of cash
Fun and productive workplace
Supervisor Assistant (Former Employee), Brea, CAAugust 2, 2014
Happy workplace and room for advancement. Good benefits.
Never a dull moment, always busy.
Retail Position
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Dayton, OHJuly 31, 2014
Retail company geared towards the sale of fine jewelry. Great work environment. Days can be slow, but on busy days the commission structure will allow employees to financially flourish.
Work
Customer Care Representative (Current Employee), Akron, OHJuly 30, 2014
Pros: wages
Cons: hours
I love working at Sterling however not the hours.The people are very nice and the company is even better!
A typical day in the life of a sales manager for sterling jewelers
Sales Manager (Current Employee), Oklahoma City, OKJuly 30, 2014
Pros: great company. amazing customers, on the job training
Cons: holiday hours are exhausting.
Monday morning my other opener and I enter the store at 9:00 am to set up for a 10:00 am opening. We begin by putting out all of our jewelry that was pulled the evening before and locked away in the safe. Upon finishing setting the cases up and making sure all the jewelry is at face and set to properly promote maximum sales. I then count down both registers – more... and print out our case counts. Then we spend the day doing our recalls, preparing our daily paperwork , and shipping our repairs. All the while making sure to still give our customers 100% satisfaction.
I have learned that Jewelry is not only a luxury jewelry is also a very personal purchase. Jewelry is something that can be passed down from generation to generation. It fills me with joy and happiness to know that I am the one person who gets to help start a couples rest of there life. Or be the one who helps the husband find the perfect gift for his 30th anniversary,
The thing I enjoy the most is that my team acts just like that. We always work together in order to make the customer satisfied. Giving the customer two people to be able to call, or visit if they have any questions, or concerns.
The saddest part of my job is learning that a couple has split up. Or having to tell someone they were not approved for our in store financing,. Luckily we still have layaway to fall back on. – less
I like my job and what I do.My boss is great .
Sales Associate, J.C. Penny (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDJuly 22, 2014
Pros: i come in and do my job and don't have to be told what to do.
Cons: doesn't have health care for part-time associates
I currently do the maintence in the store,I would like more hours but not available all the time.
career not a job
District Manager /Manager/Sales Executive (Current Employee), currently Chattanooga, TNJuly 11, 2014
Pros: i enjoy sales and people.
Cons: retail hours and busiest during holidays
Sterlings ability to train their employees is one of the many reasons they are so successful. I appreciate the way they motivate to improve.
Fun co workers but never room for advancement not military friendly.
Sales Associate and Repair Liaison (Current Employee), indianapolis,inJuly 8, 2014
Worked for the company for about 4 years and have not gone anywhere with it. I've always been promised advancement and benefits but never get it. i left for military training and when i came back i haven't worked at all for almost a month.
It was ok poor management
Sales associate (Current Employee), ohioJuly 6, 2014
The job was ok. Employees were nice but the company has poor management. There wasn't any structure in the work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee), MarylandJuly 1, 2014
You come in pull out these amazing pieces of jewelry. Assist customers to help them find the right piece of merchandise for any engagement. I loved working here, because I was paid handsomely from commission, and my hours that I put in with going to school, they also have great benefits, and you get to be a part of someone else life. Customers will – more... come back in and show you pictures,and everything. It's an amazing feeling. – less
Contests Made Job Fun But Other Points Were The Complete Opposite
Recovery II Customer Service Rep (Former Employee), Akron, OHJune 29, 2014
Cons: micro managed, no flexible scheduling
This company has a great image from the outside. The main campus does follow corporate policy. The other areas tend to be severely flawed and unfair in all policies. A dream to work a life long dream was smeared by people with ego's & management that blocked moving within the company. This feature is not something I can vote a 5 for.
Collected on Accounts that were 90 days past due and above
Collector (Former Employee), Akron, OHJune 29, 2014
Cons: the hours i was required to work
I worked 12p-9p on Sunday;
8a-5p on Monday;
12p-9p on Tuesday;
8a-5p on Wednesday;
1p-10p on Thursday;
81-5p on Friday.
Forget about it!
sales (Former Employee), USAJune 27, 2014
Pros: nice jewelry...high markup. learned alot about jems!
Cons: lies, deciept, theft of sales, short lunches
They suck all the fun out of sales with all there standards you MUST met. Commissions are LOW....then you are written up! I wish I could tell you all the deceit and lies employees will do to get your sales...management included. 10 hour days with 1/2 lunch! I seen employees written up for bad behavior 3 times and keep shipping to other stores!
If not – more... for the standards it would be a great job. – less
All around, a horrible company to work for
Full Time Sales (Former Employee), Concord, NCJune 25, 2014
Not a team environment. Everyday was like going to compete for your job the next day.
Working place where you learn a lot but never progress
Jewelry Consultant (Current Employee), Elmhurst, NYJune 23, 2014
Pros: learning experience, people skills
Cons: benefits, no vacation time or ptos, growth within the company
A day at Kay Jewelers, Sterling Inc. includes greeting customers and assisting them with purchasing a life changing gift for occasions such as an engagement, sweet 16, new baby or simply showing the love of your life how much you care. My staff and I have the ability to help these customers make the right decisions because it is very important that – more... the gift is perfect. I also have the ability to give great customer service when previous customers come back unhappy with the merchandise. Specific reasons would be a chain breaking, rings losing their original polish finish or sizing rings and bracelets to fit. When this occurs I give options of repairing or special ordering their piece. The company's first priority is making the customer happy at all times. I learn so much on how to have courtesy, hospitality, and people skills, as well as jewelry and the difference between metals used for certain pieces. I have knowledge of the 4 C's to diamond and how to read certifications for special diamonds.

My job offers a lot of lessons but I feel I can not grow within the company. For instance, I have been working there for almost two years and in the system I'm still considered seasonal. I do not get benefits such as PTOs or vacations. As of right now I should be considered a part-time associate because I have been there more than 6 months which is usually the amount of time seasonal positions last. I have spoke to my manager about this situations multiple times but I always get the same answer..that she will look into it. I feel that a lot of the decisions my manager makes are unfair to everyone on the team. I have seen certain co-workers treated wrongly and being talked about by the manager. It is a working place thats highly immature with gossip, and what makes it even worse is my manager is the one who starts the gossip and spreads it around.

I have always wanted to pursue a medical job. I have interest in anatomy, medicine, origins of diseases and cures. I just have a passion for saving lives. As odd as this sounds, I enjoy blood and gore. I can stomach a lot of things most people won't. I took EMT courses as well as Medical Assistant courses and earned a certification in CPR. For right now as I finish study for my NYS Medical Assistant certification, I would like to find a full time receptionist job at a medical facility. This way I can learn while I study. It would motivate me more to work in the environment that I want to focus on for the rest of my life. I want to start my career as soon as possible. I enjoy my job at Kay Jewelers but it is not my passion. I am 22 years old and I just want to make sure I am living stable so that I can become a successful adult. The only way I can achieve that is if I focus on school. – less
Horrible Place to Work DO NOT APPLY!
Lasion (Former Employee), North Olmsted JaredJune 20, 2014
Pros: discounts on jewelry
Cons: non relistic sales goals, terrible managment, dirty politics
I worked for this company twice in my life. I will never go back! I am very disappointed with Sterling's. For a multi million dollar company, they sure manage poorly.
I first started working at Kay, in 2010 I quit my job previous for three years, to come work for Kay's full time. I was super excited, and thrilled. I love jewelry and possess so much – more... knowledge about diamonds and such. I was let go for no reason. I knew the real reason as to why. The branch manager wanted her niece to work there in place of me. I had gotten the last full time position, and to make room for her, they gave me the boot. My sales were fine, and I enjoyed working there but was let go before my ninety days so I could not stay on full time or get my benefits.
In 2013, I decided to try again and apply at Jared's. I was recruited. Well, I thought this time around it will work out great.
I was wrong. The manager there, was a total piece of work!
She disliked me from day one, and I let it go thinking things would get better, but I was just fooling myself. I was wrong. She was a big bully, always picking on me for no reason and then discriminating me. She got mad at me, because I went to the hire up to complain about her for discrimination. Bad move on their part, I can sue the company if I wanted too and they would not know what hit them! She was buddy, buddy with the branch manager, so he would protect her!
My manager would tell me where I can go and what I can do, while others had freedom to do as they please and happily continue their job duties. I hate bullies and the manager and assistant manager were total bullies.
I was let go in May of 2013, and was told I was hired on seasonal basis and I was no longer required to work there.
I called back around Christmas time, and stated that I would like to work seasonal and I was told to go to HR. Terrible company to work for. They screw you over, to make them look good. You could be the top seller, and the Manager of the store would get the credit for it! Sure you get some incentives, but in peanuts!!! Please avoid this company! You are not missing anything, it is not the best opportunity out there. There are so many other jewelry companies out there, that will treat you better! On a good note, the manager is no longer there, but the company is terrible as a whole. – less
Managers in Recovery Dept Poor
recovery (Current Employee), AkronJune 20, 2014
Pros: great discount on jewelry
Cons: micro managed in extreme
Managers in recovery dept required to document employees 2 times a month and get rid of people. Poorly trained and not aware of HR guidelines. Very high turnover. Look elsewhere!

1 2 3 4 5