Sterling Jewelers Inc. Employee Reviews in United States

Productive, great product but terrible management
Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Dublin, OHAugust 18, 2016
Sterling Jewelers is a great company, but there are definitely some management issues, my manager had terrible communication skills, was extremely hypocritical and was downright a liar. Other than her and the clueless district manager, I had a relatively great experience.
A fun workplace environment
Account Representative II (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHAugust 4, 2016
I enjoyed maintaining a positive attitude within my work environment, and being goal-driven, both personally and professionally. Keep it up Sterling
The co-workers were amazing.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 29, 2016
Very fun environment to work in. I still keep in contact with several of the employees both past and current. I also enjoyed the work structure put in place by both me and the tanning department.
Stressfull/Dull Work environment
Polisher/Designer (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHJuly 25, 2016
Not a very exciting or inspirational place to work, You sit at one station all day looking at the wall for 8 to 10 hours a day. The hardest part of the job is staying awake and look interested which is hard to do because management doesn't keep the morale up. most co-workers are nice there.They also lack safety protocol there. Its not ventilated well there and you breath in chemicals all day that are harmful. The biggest disappointment for me there is that there is really no growth or opportunity in getting promotions.
Pros
Benefits and vacation
Cons
short breaks, managemnet, bad company practices, low pay
Good pay and benefits, bad management
Bench Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJuly 19, 2016
This company's business morals are flawed, selling a faulty product to make money off of repair. When you start working there they promise lots of upward mobility but in the two years I've been there I've never seen anyone promoted or get a raise, and I still haven't acquired the position I was supposedly hired and going to be trained to do. Management is a joke and the culture of the repair ship itself is unhealthy, full of passive aggression and harassment that is practically encouraged.
Pros
Good pay, benefits
Cons
High stress, bad management
all about the guest/customer
Full time sales - 3rd Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Lanesboro, MAJuly 18, 2016
normal day starts with inventory control,( counting all merchandise in store.). opening computer registers, review emails and communications. review days sales goal with staff. ensure each customer is shown, demonstrate, and understands purchase and is satisfied with purchase made.
I am now a certified gemologist.
Most enjoyable part of the job was when i could see the excitement and happiness of the customer when the perfect gift was chosen!
Cons
lack of breaks, loss of sales
Productive workplace with fun times
Customer care (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJune 30, 2016
I liked working at sterling jewelers. It is a good company to work for with excellent benefits and perks.

A typical day in the customer care department starts with you taking calls for about 2 hours than a 15 minute break than back on the phone you go. This basically is how the day is split up with a lunch after about 4 hours. The people for the most part are nice however like all jobs their are people that are not so easy to deal with.
Pros
Bonuses and raises every April, vacation and PTO time
Cons
The work schedule is sometimes not consistent
Productive and fun workplace.
Jared The Galleria of Jewelry (Current Employee) –  Grandville, MIJune 13, 2016
Days can be really short given that you are always doing something
The training program has a lot to offer
It can be really frustrating to have competitive wages, but in the end it pays off.
Pros
Great management, and great training program
Cons
Not a steady schedule.
Jewelry sales
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Saint Clairsville, OHMay 25, 2016
This was my first job in retail and my first opportunity to sell jewelry. I learned a lot about the diamond industry and a lot about sales. It is a competitive work environment which is one of the hardest parts of the job.

The most enjoyable part of my Jobwas sharing the joy when someone finds the perfect gift whether it's for themselve or someone else. When a guest would come back to show wedding pictures, anniversary party photographs, graduation photos our baby pictures. In previous jobs I shared joy with families,and sometimes this job offered the same opportunity.
Pros
Working with the public
Cons
working toward goals that seem unattainable
Sweat shop
Debt collector II (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHMay 12, 2016
If you like living at a job, making near to nothing, management allowing another collector to steal your hard work (skip tracing, finding people, placing good numbers in notes, then the next collector working the account, using YOUR good numbers and getting credit) making you work EVERY OTHER weekend because upper management didn't get THEIR bonus, working in complete and disgusting FILTH with people who have the worst bathroom habits (if you know what I mean) then this job might be for you! You may have insurance but don't you DARE take off a day to see your Dr, ended up having high blood pressure (never had high blood pressure before and anxiety attacks) and since walking away, everything is back to normal. This company does NOT know how to run a collection shop, I have been in the business since 1999! Biggest mistake wasting 6 months at this job! I would NOT recommend this place to my worst enemy. You have been warned!
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVMay 11, 2016
High pace, stressful due to the stand you are required to meet. Enjoyed working there you where always busy. Love helping every custom that was celebrating the special occasion.
Pros
Friendly work place and benefits
Cons
Stress of Standards
Lots of long hours
Account Delinquency Representative (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHMay 11, 2016
This job was overall ok, I would come in to work on a automatic dialer system. Calling customers to help assist in payment arrangments once account feel deliquent. The job pretty much did not care what you had going on in your home life, Mandatory overtime even when sometimes you were not able to do that, Very long shifts and alot of night shifts. Not too much room for advancing.
Pros
Bonuses
Cons
Very stressful work environment
learn new things every day
Distribution Clerk (Current Employee) –  Fairlawn, OHMay 5, 2016
very quiet environment
types of diamonds
lovey managers who work with you
everyone is friendly and works as a team
sitting all day was hard
you get a paid 15 minute break
Pros
paid 15 min break
Sterling Jewelers
MIT/Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Mobile, AL, Gulf Shores, ALApril 29, 2016
This was an easy job. It's easy to sell diamonds. After all, a diamond is a girl's best friend....right?

The hardest part of this job is holiday. We, that management team, would work 50+ hours from Nov-Dec.

I loved hiring and training new employees. Helping the managers get diamond and gem certified was a great experience. I love pearls! Getting my certification in Pearl was my favorite!
Many opportunities exist
DATA ANALYST, Contractor (Current Employee) –  Akron,April 28, 2016
Undervalued, overworked, unrealistic expectations exist throughout management. High stress with always pointing out what went wrong and never what went right.
Pros
Raffle drawings
Cons
Consistent High stress
Productive and fun place to work
Recovery 1 Account Representative (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHApril 27, 2016
Its a great company to work for. Great benefits, and plenty of overtime, Great people working, everyone is kind and very helpful when you first begin, enables the new employees to feel welcomed, most enjoyable part about the job is the different people you come in to contact with and everything you learn.
Selling Jewelry
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 4, 2016
Helping with sell jewelry to clients, also counting jewelry and also cleaning jewelry, I also help place customer orders for clients and updating the sores inventory. I also helped with setup of displays.
Pros
talking and heping clients
Cons
lack of business
productive
Collections Agent (Current Employee) –  Fairlawn, OHMarch 30, 2016
Come in sign on, take calls take a 15minute break go back take calls collect money, take your lunch, come back and take more calls collect more money. The motivation from the people is the best part of the job. The Co-workers are truly great people!!!
Upward Mobility
Office Assistant/ Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCMarch 24, 2016
I loved all of my managers, in my store or otherwise. Although the sales goals can be high at times, I enjoyed the supportive sales community.
Great Company to Work For!
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHMarch 18, 2016
Great organization with incredible room for advancement and professional development. I learned a lot about business relationships and management with a retail setting.

2.9