Sterling Jewelers Inc. Employee Reviews in United States

Performance driven company
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  ColoradoFebruary 18, 2016
Overall great company and benefits. As with any company there are high and low quality managers. If you are successful in sales performance standards, relocation is an option, and you put your career first, great advancement opportunities. Strong training programs and honest customer first policies. But count on consistent high stress, difficult work/life balance, with very little flexibility.
Pros
High compensation potential
Cons
Work/Life balance. To be successful in management, there is only work.
rewarding, encouraging, exciting , and life changing
sale associate (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCDecember 1, 2015
I really enjoy working for Sterling Jewelers. It is a rewarding career experience. I love the one on one interaction with guest to meet their needs. I am honored to help people make their dreams come true. Sterling believes in growth & development for their employees. I learned about precious gems & how to appraise them. I repaired jewelry & maintained them for guest. Management is great with the staff with grooming & building of employees as a team. My teammates( coworkers) are great and very helpful towards one another. The hardest part of the job is was unfortunately being robbed repeatedly. The most enjoyable was assisting the guest tp choose the perfect piece for their loved one.
Pros
commission & salary
Cons
Robberies
Good entry-level job, not ideal for my situation
Contingent Team Member (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHJanuary 17, 2016
I am a contingent team member at Sterling. While I enjoy the work in general and the people that I work with, there is very little advancement opportunities. Additionally, I am looking for a more professional environment than I have found. Further, I am a student looking to pay off student loans and set out on my own. The compensation I receive hourly is simply not enough to do so.
Great Company to Work For!
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHMarch 18, 2016
Great organization with incredible room for advancement and professional development. I learned a lot about business relationships and management with a retail setting.
Excellent benefits, poor pay if store isn't making levels.
Repair Liason, Inventory Control Specialist (Current Employee) –  Asheville, NCNovember 4, 2015
Good working environment (depending on always in retail on the quality of store management), with good benefits. Emphasis on making numbers and the overall store productivity - if the store isn't performing well for any reason, including those outside of employee control, commission levels and thus income is drastically reduced.
Stressfull Place to Work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sandusky, OHAugust 3, 2015
The job itself isn't stressfull, however the unreasonable sales goals, placed on the workers is.

The management, don't see eye to eye with each other, and as an employee you get caught in the middle. The individual commision system is a joke that should be done away with.

My co-workers were nice, however because of the commision system, they don't trust each other, and creates a uncomfortable work environment.

My favorite part of the job was the smile on the faces of my customers when I found what they were looking for.
Pros
Decent Company Benifits
Cons
Cheap Pay, and taking the job home with you and worrying about making your unreasonable goals, oh and the constant unhelpful NAGGING from your Supervisors
It's a great job if you don't owe student loans or if you don't mind working every weekend.
High End Bridal and Timepiece Sales (Current Employee) –  Cedar Park, TXJanuary 12, 2016
I'm still working here. It's probably less competitive among employees than a lot of other sales arenas. The corporation
have a well-thought payment structure which would work best
for single people who are okay working weekends. Frankly,
you can be one of the best at selling but you probably will not make more than $35K per year even if you sell over a million dollars worth of product.
Great Company
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Stamford, CTSeptember 2, 2015
Sterling is a wonderful company that offers staff members career advancement and competitive pay. They have full benefits and a lot of reward programs, along with incentives. High stress, high turnover but if you're good at sales, then you should have a problem.
Great teamwork, standards, employees and clientele
Certified Diamontologist (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 3, 2016
All in all, the company educates its employees well on the vast field of jewelry from diamonds to repairs. A typical day is selling jewelry and taking in repairs. Management is well-structured. Teamwork is stressed among employees by the corporation. Most enjoyable part of the job is selling from their vast collection of diamonds and making clients happy!
Pros
Structure
Cons
Pay is horrible.
Sweat shop
Debt collector II (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHMay 12, 2016
If you like living at a job, making near to nothing, management allowing another collector to steal your hard work (skip tracing, finding people, placing good numbers in notes, then the next collector working the account, using YOUR good numbers and getting credit) making you work EVERY OTHER weekend because upper management didn't get THEIR bonus, working in complete and disgusting FILTH with people who have the worst bathroom habits (if you know what I mean) then this job might be for you! You may have insurance but don't you DARE take off a day to see your Dr, ended up having high blood pressure (never had high blood pressure before and anxiety attacks) and since walking away, everything is back to normal. This company does NOT know how to run a collection shop, I have been in the business since 1999! Biggest mistake wasting 6 months at this job! I would NOT recommend this place to my worst enemy. You have been warned!
Cons
Fun place, sales is full of drama, repair is production oriented
Bench jeweler (Current Employee) –  NCSeptember 27, 2015
Depending on your location, the folks can be great or they can be total jerks getting away with murder. From the repair shop perspective, there's opportunity for growth always, but that's if there are any slots open. Luckily you can always transfer within the US as long as you have an open slot. Everyone has goals they have to meet, this being a production- and sales-oriented job. The benefits are incredible, to say the least, but you pay for it in all the crazy hours, and the general salary isn't the best in the world compared to other places. Expect to put in a lot of effort to find time for family and friends outside of work. Overall I love this job, just wish the hours were more stable. Can definitely see staying in this company a lot longer than I've tolerated other places.
Pros
Benefits, people, discounts
Cons
Zany hours, people, pay could be better
Productive but strict policy enivronment
Collections Representative II (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHJanuary 19, 2016
begin to reach out to customer to retain an arrangements w/ solutions w/ the business, learned different ways to communicate different scenarios, overtime mandatory is hard on people, enjoy the bonus while achieving goal, management things change in the department at last minute somewhat of the time.
Jewelry sales
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Saint Clairsville, OHMay 25, 2016
This was my first job in retail and my first opportunity to sell jewelry. I learned a lot about the diamond industry and a lot about sales. It is a competitive work environment which is one of the hardest parts of the job.

The most enjoyable part of my Jobwas sharing the joy when someone finds the perfect gift whether it's for themselve or someone else. When a guest would come back to show wedding pictures, anniversary party photographs, graduation photos our baby pictures. In previous jobs I shared joy with families,and sometimes this job offered the same opportunity.
Pros
Working with the public
Cons
working toward goals that seem unattainable
kay jewelers
Assistant Manager/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAFebruary 5, 2016
since I have been employed at Kay's , everything was amazing with my position, until lately upper management was unable to staff the store with stable employees..Other than this complication, i loved all aspects of working there.
Pros
good money
Cons
holiday hours
Do not work here
Network Engineer (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHMay 23, 2015
The IT department is going through a regime change. Scratch that. The IT department is going through a civil war. They hired a new CIO, and everyone in management is scambling to make themselves look good to him at the expense of everyone else. And the politics are making their way down to the people who actually make the systems work, with people being forced out and fired without notice.
Pros
On-site everything. Massages, Cafeteria, etc.
Cons
Political games with workers being used as pawns.
its a mad house
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Massena, NYJanuary 18, 2016
no training
work environment of threatening behavior -back stabbing is encouraged
they are dishonest and treat their employees like garbage
Pros
learn a trade
Cons
wont be allowed to stay very long
Horrible job and even worst location!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Orland Park, ILSeptember 9, 2015
Aside from the unrealistic goals management sets for you, there's poor training and low pay. I was constantly installed fear if all 5 standards were not met! I do not like taking the job home. Management is all about do as I say not as I do and constant drama between sister stores, meaning we didn't work together for the ultimate goal. No warnings were given by management if employees were being demoted from full time to part time, they just received terrible hours the next schedule. Also when desperate will promise you higher pay for taking more responsibility and somehow blames the lack of pay increase on your standards when those job titles don't receive any higher pay!
Pros
Commission pay was always a plus
Cons
Poor management, lack of training, no teamwork
Lots of long hours
Account Delinquency Representative (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHMay 11, 2016
This job was overall ok, I would come in to work on a automatic dialer system. Calling customers to help assist in payment arrangments once account feel deliquent. The job pretty much did not care what you had going on in your home life, Mandatory overtime even when sometimes you were not able to do that, Very long shifts and alot of night shifts. Not too much room for advancing.
Pros
Bonuses
Cons
Very stressful work environment
Collections
RECOVERY 2 REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHMay 21, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of constant data entry, long hours and many phone calls. Position would be highly stressful at times, but manageable. Some days would be mostly leaving voice-mails. I learned ways to resolve escalated situations with customers and the importance of teamwork. The management was strict but generally informative. The co-workers made the days easier to handle. They understand because they deal with it also. The hardest part of the job was the metrics. The most enjoyable part was my co-workers.
Sterling Jewelers
MIT/Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Mobile, AL, Gulf Shores, ALApril 29, 2016
This was an easy job. It's easy to sell diamonds. After all, a diamond is a girl's best friend....right?

The hardest part of this job is holiday. We, that management team, would work 50+ hours from Nov-Dec.

I loved hiring and training new employees. Helping the managers get diamond and gem certified was a great experience. I love pearls! Getting my certification in Pearl was my favorite!