Sterling Jewelers Inc. Employee Reviews

Sterling Companies
Assistant Store/Sales Manager (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLAugust 11, 2015
Sterling is the parent compnay for various jewelry stores. I enjoyed the work that I did and the interactions of different people (customers) on a daily basis as well as the staff. There was never a dull moment.
Stressfull Place to Work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Sandusky, OHAugust 3, 2015
Pros: Decent Company Benifits
Cons: Cheap Pay, and taking the job home with you and worrying about making your unreasonable goals, oh and the constant unhelpful NAGGING from your Supervisors
The job itself isn't stressfull, however the unreasonable sales goals, placed on the workers is.

The management, don't see eye to eye with each other, and as an employee you get caught in the middle. The individual commision system is a joke that should be done away with.

My co-workers were nice, however because of the commision system, they don't trust each other, and creates a uncomfortable work environment.

My favorite part of the job was the smile on the faces of my customers when I found what they were looking for.
Sales Intense
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Chesapeake, VAAugust 1, 2015
Pros: Pay
Cons: Long hours and employee security
Did not like the constant threat of losing your job based on the hardships of others. Very depressing having to look at customers and know there is no other options for them.
Job Security, Great Benefits
Recovery 1 (Former Employee), Akron, OHJuly 31, 2015
Pros: Free Lunches, Company discounts
Cons: none
Customer Service
Collecting on 30 day past due accounts
Educating customers on payment options and billing information including due date
Setting payment options and arrangements for customers in need
Working in a fast paced environment
Following all compliance regulations on account privacy for customers
intresting
Recovery Specialist (Current Employee), Akron, OHJuly 8, 2015
enjoy going to work to deal with the challenges that comes with the eight to twelve hour daily shift and learning how to make your talk off better so customers feel that we really do care.
Fun place to work
Part-Time Sales Associate (Current Employee), Wichita, KSJune 29, 2015
Pros: Great Benefits, Great discounts
Great benefits and decent pay. It is a little stressful as a full time employee unless you are an amazing salesperson. It is fun to create jewelry from scratch and build memories for people. I enjoy working here and actually look forward to going in to work for the day.
Productive and profesional place to make jewelry customers happy
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Towson, MarylandJune 25, 2015
Selling Jewelry
cleaning jewelry
checking daily standards that illustrates the stores and your own individual progression
I learned how to apply myself in the best way to receives the customer's best satisfaction. This helped me improve my listening skills, communication skills and other skills that I used when – more... presenting to a customer. This job taught me how to build a relationship with my customer as well to show my value of their needs. This job also taught me that teamwork is Key. My leaders and assistant leaders displayed excellence influence on how to become the best salesperson and help.
_________________________________________________
Sales are always based on effort and environment. The environment was the hardest thing to overcome within my job because there was so much competition around us, you had to make each effort count. However I did my best and realized that the most enjoyable part of my job was satisfying the customer and making them feel special. – less
Productive work environment with great people
Operations (Current Employee), Akron, OHJune 17, 2015
Sterling Jewelers is a great company to work for that has a lot of job opportunities and a lot of great employees. The hardest part of my job is being able to navigate the corporate environment.
OK
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Mebane, NCJune 2, 2015
Pros: flexible
Cons: commision
I like working for the company. Just wish the associates could win trips also. I dont have any complaints really nor anything that I think makes this company better.
Corporate world in decent atmosphere
Marketing Research Analyst (Former Employee), Akron, OHMay 31, 2015
Hours are fairly normal, probably 8:00 to 5:30. Have nice amenities in the corp HQs. Generally a decent place to be with routine work and slow advancement.
Disappointed
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Parma, OHMay 28, 2015
Pros: pay
Cons: slacking in training
The job was great in the beginning, management seemed really nice and I enjoyed the training. I didn't mind that we had to help customers while filling out an entire, thick workbook. Everything seemed fine, the pay was great and everything was on schedule.

A couple weeks in and the manager leaves, that's when everything went downhill. The new manger was awesome, but things changed.

They started – more... to slack with training, resulting in putting us out there without any knowledge on how to complete transactions properly on the ancient computer system.

Some employees were kind enough to help sometimes, but due to the store being so busy, and the registers couldn't go to training mode, we couldn't get any training done.

I felt very intimidated by an employee there. There was nothing but chit chat about past employees that they fired. Pointing out their failures on a daily basis.

I was even yelled and looked down on, when I mentioned something about my car being fixed due to some problems. I don't understand why it was such an issue because I was always on time and my significant other gave me a ride to work. Lets just say I was not impressed by how the situation was handled.

Overall, I felt like the workplace made me feel intimidated, and I didn't get the respect I deserve. I thought this would have been such a rewarding experience, but I was wrong. – less
Do not work here
Network Engineer (Current Employee), Akron, OHMay 23, 2015
Pros: On-site everything. Massages, Cafeteria, etc.
Cons: Political games with workers being used as pawns.
The IT department is going through a regime change. Scratch that. The IT department is going through a civil war. They hired a new CIO, and everyone in management is scambling to make themselves look good to him at the expense of everyone else. And the politics are making their way down to the people who actually make the systems work, with people being forced out and fired without notice.
Collections
RECOVERY 2 REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee), Akron, OHMay 21, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of constant data entry, long hours and many phone calls. Position would be highly stressful at times, but manageable. Some days would be mostly leaving voice-mails. I learned ways to resolve escalated situations with customers and the importance of teamwork. The management was strict but generally informative. The co-workers made the days easier to handle. They understand because they deal with it also. The hardest part of the job was the metrics. The most enjoyable part was my co-workers.
corp
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Schaumburg, ILMay 10, 2015
Pros: Co workers
Cons: short breaks no time to balance life and work
The company is largely based on volume not so much on customer base as i would have liked, more of hard sell. Pressure sales.
Design of new from the old and my co-workers great group of people fun and entergetic.
bgsd
Repair liaison Jared's - current (Current Employee), Knoxville, TNMay 8, 2015
I loved working here the hours are just crazy and the pay not enough. Benefits are fine. Coworks and management just depends on where you are but for the most part very nice.
Fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Clearwater, FLMay 5, 2015
I really enjoyed working for them, just did not pay enough for me to live on my own. Very fun work environment, loved management and everyone else I worked for.
Great Incentives
Lead Sales Manager (Former Employee), Salisbury, MDApril 29, 2015
Pros: Incentives and Commissions
Cons: Co-workers who can't handle quota pressure may lash out
I loved the incetives the company had, rewarding performers. The company also has trips and various contests which are nice.
It was a most unpleasant experience
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Poughkeepsie, NYApril 20, 2015
Pros: discounts on merchandise
Cons: everything else imaginable
Sterling Jewelers misrepresented their company when presenting it as an Employment Opportunity with opportunities for career advancement and job security. My experience was the polar opposite.
no movement for internal employees
Store Replenishment Clerk (Current Employee), Akron, OHApril 19, 2015
Pros: jewelry at cost
Cons: not many advancement opportunities
While the people who work there are great and easy to get along with, it appears that they hire from the outside in order to fill advancement opportunities, thus people who have worked there for a prolonged period of time do not get to move up into higher more responsible positions.
Productive and Effective
Account Representative (Current Employee), Akron, OHApril 12, 2015
• Calling past due customers and educating them on the status of their account.
• Negotiating on amounts to be paid to have an account become current, including offering hardship amounts to customers in need of a lower payment.
• Educating the customer on what would happen if the account were to fall another month past due.