Sterling Jewelers Inc. Employee Reviews

Performance driven company
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  ColoradoFebruary 18, 2016
Overall great company and benefits. As with any company there are high and low quality managers. If you are successful in sales performance standards, relocation is an option, and you put your career first, great advancement opportunities. Strong training programs and honest customer first policies. But count on consistent high stress, difficult work/life balance, with very little flexibility.
Pros
High compensation potential
Cons
Work/Life balance. To be successful in management, there is only work.
rewarding, encouraging, exciting , and life changing
sale associate (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCDecember 1, 2015
I really enjoy working for Sterling Jewelers. It is a rewarding career experience. I love the one on one interaction with guest to meet their needs. I am honored to help people make their dreams come true. Sterling believes in growth & development for their employees. I learned about precious gems & how to appraise them. I repaired jewelry & maintained them for guest. Management is great with the staff with grooming & building of employees as a team. My teammates( coworkers) are great and very helpful towards one another. The hardest part of the job is was unfortunately being robbed repeatedly. The most enjoyable was assisting the guest tp choose the perfect piece for their loved one.
Pros
commission & salary
Cons
Robberies
Good entry-level job, not ideal for my situation
Contingent Team Member (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHJanuary 17, 2016
I am a contingent team member at Sterling. While I enjoy the work in general and the people that I work with, there is very little advancement opportunities. Additionally, I am looking for a more professional environment than I have found. Further, I am a student looking to pay off student loans and set out on my own. The compensation I receive hourly is simply not enough to do so.
Fun place, sales is full of drama, repair is production oriented
Bench jeweler (Current Employee) –  NCSeptember 27, 2015
Depending on your location, the folks can be great or they can be total jerks getting away with murder. From the repair shop perspective, there's opportunity for growth always, but that's if there are any slots open. Luckily you can always transfer within the US as long as you have an open slot. Everyone has goals they have to meet, this being a production- and sales-oriented job. The benefits are incredible, to say the least, but you pay for it in all the crazy hours, and the general salary isn't the best in the world compared to other places. Expect to put in a lot of effort to find time for family and friends outside of work. Overall I love this job, just wish the hours were more stable. Can definitely see staying in this company a lot longer than I've tolerated other places.
Pros
Benefits, people, discounts
Cons
Zany hours, people, pay could be better
Excellent benefits, poor pay if store isn't making levels.
Repair Liason, Inventory Control Specialist (Current Employee) –  Asheville, NCNovember 4, 2015
Good working environment (depending on always in retail on the quality of store management), with good benefits. Emphasis on making numbers and the overall store productivity - if the store isn't performing well for any reason, including those outside of employee control, commission levels and thus income is drastically reduced.
Stressfull Place to Work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sandusky, OHAugust 3, 2015
The job itself isn't stressfull, however the unreasonable sales goals, placed on the workers is.

The management, don't see eye to eye with each other, and as an employee you get caught in the middle. The individual commision system is a joke that should be done away with.

My co-workers were nice, however because of the commision system, they don't trust each other, and creates a uncomfortable work environment.

My favorite part of the job was the smile on the faces of my customers when I found what they were looking for.
Pros
Decent Company Benifits
Cons
Cheap Pay, and taking the job home with you and worrying about making your unreasonable goals, oh and the constant unhelpful NAGGING from your Supervisors
Stressfull/Dull Work environment
Polisher/Designer (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHJuly 25, 2016
Not a very exciting or inspirational place to work, You sit at one station all day looking at the wall for 8 to 10 hours a day. The hardest part of the job is staying awake and look interested which is hard to do because management doesn't keep the morale up. most co-workers are nice there.They also lack safety protocol there. Its not ventilated well there and you breath in chemicals all day that are harmful. The biggest disappointment for me there is that there is really no growth or opportunity in getting promotions.
Pros
Benefits and vacation
Cons
short breaks, managemnet, bad company practices, low pay
Good pay and benefits, bad management
Bench Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJuly 19, 2016
This company's business morals are flawed, selling a faulty product to make money off of repair. When you start working there they promise lots of upward mobility but in the two years I've been there I've never seen anyone promoted or get a raise, and I still haven't acquired the position I was supposedly hired and going to be trained to do. Management is a joke and the culture of the repair ship itself is unhealthy, full of passive aggression and harassment that is practically encouraged.
Pros
Good pay, benefits
Cons
High stress, bad management
Sweat shop
Debt collector II (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHMay 12, 2016
If you like living at a job, making near to nothing, management allowing another collector to steal your hard work (skip tracing, finding people, placing good numbers in notes, then the next collector working the account, using YOUR good numbers and getting credit) making you work EVERY OTHER weekend because upper management didn't get THEIR bonus, working in complete and disgusting FILTH with people who have the worst bathroom habits (if you know what I mean) then this job might be for you! You may have insurance but don't you DARE take off a day to see your Dr, ended up having high blood pressure (never had high blood pressure before and anxiety attacks) and since walking away, everything is back to normal. This company does NOT know how to run a collection shop, I have been in the business since 1999! Biggest mistake wasting 6 months at this job! I would NOT recommend this place to my worst enemy. You have been warned!
Jewelry sales
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Saint Clairsville, OHMay 25, 2016
This was my first job in retail and my first opportunity to sell jewelry. I learned a lot about the diamond industry and a lot about sales. It is a competitive work environment which is one of the hardest parts of the job.

The most enjoyable part of my Jobwas sharing the joy when someone finds the perfect gift whether it's for themselve or someone else. When a guest would come back to show wedding pictures, anniversary party photographs, graduation photos our baby pictures. In previous jobs I shared joy with families,and sometimes this job offered the same opportunity.
Pros
Working with the public
Cons
working toward goals that seem unattainable
Productive workplace with fun times
Customer care (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJune 30, 2016
I liked working at sterling jewelers. It is a good company to work for with excellent benefits and perks.

A typical day in the customer care department starts with you taking calls for about 2 hours than a 15 minute break than back on the phone you go. This basically is how the day is split up with a lunch after about 4 hours. The people for the most part are nice however like all jobs their are people that are not so easy to deal with.
Pros
Bonuses and raises every April, vacation and PTO time
Cons
The work schedule is sometimes not consistent
all about the guest/customer
Full time sales - 3rd Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Lanesboro, MAJuly 18, 2016
normal day starts with inventory control,( counting all merchandise in store.). opening computer registers, review emails and communications. review days sales goal with staff. ensure each customer is shown, demonstrate, and understands purchase and is satisfied with purchase made.
I am now a certified gemologist.
Most enjoyable part of the job was when i could see the excitement and happiness of the customer when the perfect gift was chosen!
Cons
lack of breaks, loss of sales
Great Company
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Stamford, CTSeptember 2, 2015
Sterling is a wonderful company that offers staff members career advancement and competitive pay. They have full benefits and a lot of reward programs, along with incentives. High stress, high turnover but if you're good at sales, then you should have a problem.
Great Company to Work For!
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHMarch 18, 2016
Great organization with incredible room for advancement and professional development. I learned a lot about business relationships and management with a retail setting.
Lots of long hours
Account Delinquency Representative (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHMay 11, 2016
This job was overall ok, I would come in to work on a automatic dialer system. Calling customers to help assist in payment arrangments once account feel deliquent. The job pretty much did not care what you had going on in your home life, Mandatory overtime even when sometimes you were not able to do that, Very long shifts and alot of night shifts. Not too much room for advancing.
Pros
Bonuses
Cons
Very stressful work environment
Fun place to work if you are a competitive person
Manager (Current Employee) –  IASeptember 16, 2016
Competitive job, but fun! Always something different to do each day. Great training. Lots of growth potential. Only problem is some of the employees complain a lot, but that's true of every company.
Pros
Great bonuses during good months. Great room for advancement.
Cons
Hard to balance home and work life
Productive, great product but terrible management
Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Dublin, OHAugust 18, 2016
Sterling Jewelers is a great company, but there are definitely some management issues, my manager had terrible communication skills, was extremely hypocritical and was downright a liar. Other than her and the clueless district manager, I had a relatively great experience.
Fun Fast Pace work environment
Collector (Former Employee) –  Fairlawn, OHJanuary 18, 2015
A typical day at work would be taking inbound and outbound calls in fast pace environment. I learned how to make and receive calls in a call center environment make, arrange payments, assist customers with there delinquent accounts, up sell customers into various account resolution packages that meet the customers and companies needs , also enhanced my existing customer service skills. The management is supportive and encouraging and readily available. The co-workers are very friendly very diverse work force. The hardest part of the job was when a customer didn't want to make a payment arrangement with me over the phone but I always tired my hardest to get the payment over the phone. The most enjoyable part of my job was the fast pace environment.
Pros
great benefits
Sterling Jewelers
MIT/Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Mobile, AL, Gulf Shores, ALApril 29, 2016
This was an easy job. It's easy to sell diamonds. After all, a diamond is a girl's best friend....right?

The hardest part of this job is holiday. We, that management team, would work 50+ hours from Nov-Dec.

I loved hiring and training new employees. Helping the managers get diamond and gem certified was a great experience. I love pearls! Getting my certification in Pearl was my favorite!
Productive and fun workplace.
Jared The Galleria of Jewelry (Current Employee) –  Grandville, MIJune 13, 2016
Days can be really short given that you are always doing something
The training program has a lot to offer
It can be really frustrating to have competitive wages, but in the end it pays off.
Pros
Great management, and great training program
Cons
Not a steady schedule.

2.9