Sterling Medical

Sterling Medical Employer Reviews

great environment
Medical/Dental Administrative Specialist (Current Employee), Pineville, LAOctober 22, 2014
Great company to work for with excellent benefits. Training was provided and done so in an excellent manner.
productive and fun place to work at
medical assistant (Former Employee), brooklyn. NyOctober 16, 2014
the most enjoyable part of the job was being able to interact and help patients with their needs
Challenging
Claim Examiner (Former Employee), Moorestown, NJAugust 26, 2014
Fast paced environment. Good opportunity to interact with patients and doctor's offices.
BEWARE OF WORKING AT WPAFB AND STERLING MEDICAL!
Emergency Department Paramedic (Former Employee), WPAFBJuly 18, 2014
Pros: co-workers
Cons: management, disorganization
Sure, working as a paramedic on an Air Force base sounds high-speed, low-drag, but it isn't!

First off, if you do take the job, don't plan on keeping it for any length of time. I was promised a 3 year contract, only to get the ax not even one full year later! The contractors before me got the axe after 7 months! Bottom line, the USAF is in financial – more... turmoil, so have a back up plan. They are CLEANING HOUSE of civilian employees, especially contractors. There was a contractor that lived and breathed his department's job for the past 8 years, and he was let go.

You have no autonomy. You MUST call the base MD on every Pt you pick up and they will tell you what to do or not to do. You can make your recommendations, but ultimately it's the MD's call. And again, with the USAF being in financial turmoil, MDs are being pressured into bringing as many Pt's back to the base hospital as possible, even if it means another Tx to another more appropriate facility.

There is no oversight on the EMS side of the house. Sure, Pt care in the ED is your primary job, but no time or training is devoted to the EMS side... NONE whatsoever. Filthy (inside and out) ambulances, not properly stocked, EMS personnel not knowing how to get to where they're going (can't use GPS on base), staff not knowing SOPs, staff not knowing where anything is located at all inside the ambulance or the ED for that matter.

As a civilian, and especially as a contractor, you are an outsider. Sure, you'll be accepted as part of the team by fellow medics and techs, but as far as leadership is concerned, you are an untouchable. No chance for extra responsibilities, leadership roles no matter how knowledgeable you may be. They aren't receptive to any ideas from civilians. They will NOT keep your certifications up, they will NOT provide for your medical needs pertaining to the job (vaccinations, TB test, etc.) you are on your own!

They are making health insurance MANDATORY, even as a contractor. So if you're a young, healthy person that doesn't need health insurance, you need to get some. The company doesn't provide it for you since you're a contractor. So it's EXPENSIVE! and if you "opt out" of insurance, you automatically get signed up for whatever insurance company they decide to use, and once again, being a contractor position, it is EXPENSIVE!

Communication with Sterling was horrible. I never heard from them unless they needed something from me. Somehow they changed contract companies, and we were supposed to sign new contracts, I never signed anything. I think at one point, three of us were being paid by 2 separate companies. They were supposed to give 90 days notice to any change of contract, and we were given a month and a half. The 7 month contractors before us had their lives planned around this job, and from DAY ONE WPMC management knew that it would only be for 7 months and never told those contractors.

One good thing about the job was working with some good people most of the techs, RNs, MDs were pretty good, just watch out for the ones in leadership roles. Another good thing about the job was the schedule (four 10 hour shifts a week), but it sounds like it's changing to have contractors assigned to a shift on a Panama schedule. No overtime. Federal holidays off with 8 hours for holiday pay. You don't get furlough days as a contractor. Don't waste your money on buying see-through uniform t-shirts that are expensive and take too long to get because they order to Florida for some reason.

If your contract does get the axe by USAF, they're not allowed to tell you. It's up to your contract company to tell you, so it could be days, weeks, months before you find out.

If you do take this job, always have a back up plan! – less
worked with navy personal
Certified Medical Assistant (Former Employee), Great Lakes, ILJuly 17, 2014
Pros: free time at the end of the day
Cons: no breaks
A typical work day for us was to intake between 15-200 people in am give them a class on what to expect during their visit and or birth control option. After class we took patients over to clinic and did procedures on them. Being pap smears or birth control and look at other medical problems. I learned how to work in a fast paced environment (15-200 – more... patients seen before 3 pm) also working with multiply providers at once. I enjoyed working in the fast pace environment. – less
Distance managing doesn't work for this company
Care Coordinator at Oregon Army National Guard (Current Employee), Salem, OregonJuly 9, 2014
Pros: time is managed by state surgeons office
Cons: time difference and reimbursements
Sterling holds the 51% of a government contract that puts workers in the fifty states/territories. They are central to one state for contact and management purposes. They are not friendly with requests- such as, how much earned time off do I have?

Benefits are offered at an incredible price! No raises or promotions and the employee with a Master's – more... degree gets paid the same as the employee just graduating high school as well as the employee who just files and the one who teaches classes and addresses The Adjudant General.

Reimbursements for travel can take two months to receive. – less
Decent place to work
PEBLO Assistant (Former Employee), Colorado Springs, COJuly 7, 2014
Job was great. Contract ended too soon. Job probably only needed one assistant vs. two.
NONE
Medical Clerk/Customer Service Rep (Current Employee), Moorestown, NJJuly 1, 2014
NONE AT THIE TIME,NONE AT TIS TIME,NONE AT THIS TIME,NONE AT THIS TIME
Loooovvvveeeddd
Intake Associate (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAJune 23, 2014
Coming in to flip the switch on was the boost i needed everyday. This was my first job and if it could last forever I would let it. Best, greatest boss ever, co-worker was perfect for the job. Absolutely heaven on earth.
Good compensation
Medical Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Oklahoma City, OKJune 17, 2014
Pros: holidays off
Cons: hard chairs
A typical day at work would entail; checking email for anything that needs action, check phone for any missed calls, Sit with Case Manager and go over daily action plan, proceed with day. I had a lot of great coworkers. There were not very many options for advancement. The hardest part of the day would be sitting in a chair all day but that gets fixed – more... by occasionally stretching! The best part of the day is when I get to help a soldier get the proper care and help that he/she needs, even if that means pointing them into the right direction. – less
Supervisor
Warehouse/Customer service supervisor (Former Employee), Mount Laural NJMay 8, 2014
Being a supervisor is what I am good at. I am very well organized, neat and on time. I strive to be the best at everything I do and also teach my coworkers how to be the best that they can be
Poor Managment
Contractor ( Medical Administrative Assistant) (Former Employee), Quantico, VAApril 30, 2014
Pros: on site manager
Cons: it took 2 months to get 1 day of pto time
This company is okay. I really don't like the fact that it takes you 2 months to get 1 day off work. The management was not very people friendly and not willing to work with you.
Fast paced medical environment
Claims Examiner (Former Employee), Moorestown, NJMarch 3, 2014
Pros: free lunch once in a while
Cons: not a ton of room for advancement
Start to finish is always a hard days work. Sending and confirming patient and doctor information, faxing and receiving, and updating accounts was my main job.Taking calls from patient and doctor offices before releasing orders was an everyday thing at my office. I learned that no one is having a bad day, it's all about how you take it. Working with – more... management and co-workers was smooth and calm. Easiest part of my job was the calm before the storm of calls for order placement. Hardest part was keeping up with the hundreds of orders from noon till evening. – less
Comfortable Environment
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee), Montgomery, ALDecember 16, 2013
I enjoyed daily work, because fellow co workers were very helpful ,
Sterling Medical
Verification Coordinator (Former Employee), Moorestown, NJNovember 26, 2013
Pros: sterling was excellent pizza friday's ice cream social, holiday parties
Cons: except being sold to a company who promised no lay offs nothing bad to say about anyone or anything
The company was awesome to work for until it was sold and they fired people left and right , you didn't know from one day to the next if you where going to have a job.
Nice place to work
Medical Assistant (Current Employee), Rock Hill, SCNovember 26, 2013
I work with wonderful people and management in the clinic is good.
Great HR Department
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee), Norfolk, VANovember 25, 2013
Pros: great communications
Cons: out of state no onsite representative
Contract work with excellent staff and great training opportunities
workplace
Medical Laboratory Technologist (Former Employee), Hattiesburg, MSNovember 19, 2013
Pros: good food
Cons: high insurance
good people to work for
good food
meeting new people
meeting people from all across the world
different types of food
Enjoyed working beside our military
Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHNovember 16, 2013
Pros: great pay
Cons: unaffordable healthcare, communciation
I enjoyed the envirnment of work along our military. It was a very humbling experience seeing a lot of co-workers leave to defend and come back home.
The contract company itself was difficult to communicate with on various issues due to the distance.
Excellent employer
Medical Supply Technician (Current Employee), Shelby, MSNovember 7, 2013
Helping deploying soldiers. Managers are of an excellent quality. Learned new Logistics programs.

1 2 3