Sterling National Bank

Sterling National Bank Employer Reviews

Stressful
Vice President (Former Employee), NY, NYJuly 20, 2014
Pros: prior to the merger great place to work
Cons: the worst merger hands down
Senior management cut staff and expect one employee to do the job of 5 people. No clear objective, incorrect mission and vision in reference to going above and beyond. After Provident bank took over horrible place to work. Lack of direction, diversity. I would never recommend this company to work runnnnnn!!!!
Senior Closing Coordinator (Former Employee), Great Neck, NYJuly 16, 2014
I loved working at Sterling. I got along with everybody. I learned a lot from doing my job.
audit ( former employee )
staff auditor (Former Employee), montebello, new yorkJune 26, 2014
Pros: great people
Cons: long days, management not present
Tyical day 8-6, management always looking over you shoulder. Very stressful job
Generally a challenging but comfortable work environment.
HUB Operations Manager (Former Employee), Montebello, NY and Paramus, NJMay 5, 2014
Pros: an employee committee which sponsored fun activities for employees, such as special lunches, employee picnics, etc.
Cons: healthcare became very costly
During tenure learned a great deal about the banking business. Started as an administrative assistant working with commercial lenders. Worked with customers, prepared loan committee agendas, and prepared commercial loan applications for review and approval at loan committees. Advanced to support Executive Vice President of Business Services which included – more... Branch Administration, Marketing, IT, Loan Origination and CRA. Became an Administrative Team Leader overseeing 3 other administrative assistants supporting direct reports to EVP. Further advanced to Executive Assistant to President & CEO and Manager of Executive Administration. Heavy calendar management, supported Board of Directors, prepared meeting agendas, sat in on Committee meetings and took minutes. Following a change in Management, moved on to new role of Manager, HUB Operations at field location in Paramus, NJ. This office primarily designated as a commercial lending office, but also had a branch designation. In addition, was responsible for oversight of similar office in Westchester, NY. Learned the branch side of banking as well as supervised one teller. Prepared budgets and performed performance reviews. Involved directly with hiring as well as disciplinary actions. Found overall management good and willing to listen. Co-workers friendly and supportive. Most difficult challenges in the various positions held, were supervising 22 administrative assistants (some of which were remotely located), calendar management, and learning all of the regulatory requirements when operating a branch. The most enjoyable part of the positions held, was the diversity and working with people. – less
Productive and Challenging
Admin (Former Employee), Woodbury, NYMay 5, 2014
Very fast paced work environment which is always challenging. Depending on your supervisor or manager and department, daily tasks and projects can be overwhelming. The culture is an execution type where the person who performs great can either be elevated or stuck in his/her position due to the fact that they can not be easily replaced. Hours are typical – more... bank hours. The core values and mission are something I will take with me forever. – less
Assistant to the Credit Departmant Manager
Executive Assistant (Current Employee), New York, NYMay 2, 2014
Pros: my boss
Cons: merger
I like working at Sterling but with the merger that just took place there are many, many lay-offs
A great place to build a career, a great place to work
Division SVP, Director of Finance (Current Employee), New York, NYMarch 20, 2014
Pros: there are a lot of pros...the people for one, growth opportunities/career path
Cons: too far from my home
The company is great...which is why I am going into my 17th year. The changes since we acquired are positive in that the focus is on achieving objectives and tying employees in to the success of the organization.

Fast paced, a lot going on, the strong survive.
Great Company
Client Service Associate (Current Employee), Stony Point, NYFebruary 22, 2014
A typical day at work would be coming in at 8 and getting to work right away. I learned a lot working here, i learned how a bank works, learned how to sell products and help people with their bank accounts and creating a bank account. The management is great and organized. My co-workers teach me a lot everyday and make sure i am on task, which i always – more... am. The hardest part of the job for me is selling products and trying to talk customers into developing a more broader savings account. The most enjoyable part of my job is when i feel accomplished by the end of the day when i got everything done and more. – less
Productive and fun workplace. Family feel.
Computer Operations Analyst / Help Desk Analyst (Current Employee), Montebello, NYFebruary 2, 2014
Pros: learning banking
Cons: not enough work to keep us busy all day.
Work for this company was fine until the merger. I still like working there but everything is up in the air now. Everybody's job is in jeopardy.
Not the best
Administrator (Current Employee), Montebello, NYJanuary 16, 2014
This company does not believe in promoting within. If you are looking for a stagnant career,this is the place for you.
Growing bank with many business units
Senior Loan Administrator (Current Employee), New York, NYDecember 16, 2013
No such thing as a typical work day - always learning new things with situations that arise from different departments. Interact with relationship managers and lenders often. Perform daily, monthly and quarterly reporting which broadens my knowledge of the bank.
Be cautious
Manager (Current Employee), Montebello NYOctober 14, 2013
Pros: free food sometimes
Cons: bad mid-upper management; employee treatment
Pros – Expanding footprint; Pending merger appears to complement both bank's businesses.

Cons – Unfair treatment, employees motivated by fear and not by a positive environment. Upper management tries to improve morale by having pizza and ice cream days but everyone knows it is a smokescreen and more of a token than real effort to make things better.

Advice – more... to Senior Management – Watch out for negative effects of improper employee treatment and mid-upper management. Potential to implode upon itself.

No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company – less
Provident Bank
Customer Care Supervisor (Former Employee), Montebello, NYJuly 30, 2012
Provident Bank gave me the experience I needed to continue my banking career.
Overall a good place to work
Client Service Supervisor (Former Employee), Hillcrest, NYJune 11, 2012
Overall Provident Bank is a good company to work for. My coworkers were great, the benefits were great (only for full timers), and I really enjoyed the yearly company picnics.
productive days
Client Service Supervisor (Former Employee), Hillcrest, NYMay 21, 2012
when it was busy it was a great place to work but when there were no customers days dragged on. I learned my management skills here. My co-workers were great but I had one manager that took advantage of me. The most enjoyable part of the job were the children. I loved to see their faces when they put on their new shoes.
Exciting growth strategy.
Applications Manager/Sr. Application Analyst (Current Employee), Montebello, NYMay 20, 2012
Pros: good benefits & casual fridays
Provident Bank is changing a lot these days with a new Executive management team. The landscape of the strategic plan now focused on growth of the Bank's footprint, there are new opportunities for many bankers.
daily work requirements
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Spring Valley, NYApril 8, 2012
Pros: always something to learn
Cons: explaining fees
selling of bank products, customer service and making sure procedures and bank policy is followed.
products are always changing to meet current needs.

using your own judgement when management is not present.
working alongside employees as a team.
hardest part of job is trying to please irate customers

enjoyable part is gaining trust and a relationship – more... with current customers as well as new ones – less
good people but hard to advance
Client Service Associate (Former Employee), Warwick, NYMarch 12, 2012
Pros: great people
Cons: hard to advance
a great bank with a great internal staff. smaller bank so you dont get that corporate feeling of your just a number. the only problem is being that it is a small bank the opportunity to advance is not as large. and for some reason they consider their personal bankers (sales associates) such an advanced and complex job (when it really isn't) and prefer – more... to hire people (mostly females) for those positions from with in. I mean is a grumpy middle aged women who has been a teller for 10 years and thinks she IS the bank a better candidate then a college educated, younger, positive professional? you tell me... – less

About Sterling National Bank

Sterling National Bank is a financial services firm that specializes in the delivery of service and solutions to business owners, – Read more