Sterling Savings Bank Employee Reviews

Just say no!
Loan Consultant (Former Employee) –  Kirkland, WAJuly 5, 2017
Terrible leadership!!! Unorganized process, this company will un-train what you have learned, and horrific environment!!!
AVOID this company at all cost!
Pros
Cons
Don's consider one.
Started out great, ended terribly
Deposit Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAJune 1, 2017
I started at Sterling as a Teller in Lynnwood, WA. I had an amazing team there. I helped run the branch with the assistant manager while the branch manager and personal bankers networked. I was the vault custodian and that became one of my favorite parts of the job. I also kept track of branch supplies and kept them organized.
I was in Lynnwood for 3 years then transferred to a back office position in Spokane. Unfortunately, it was at the beginning of the recession.
The back office became a very harsh environment to be as the managers banned together to save themselves and sacrificed as many employees as possible.
Sterling Bank was eventually bought by Umpqua Bank.
Pros
Set schedule, holidays off, Still friends with original branch coworkers
Cons
Recession made enemies
Fun Working Environment
Mortgage Loan Administrator (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 16, 2017
Employees are very nice and helpful at times. Management is located in Michigan so you wont have a proper response until the next morning. Compensation is below market.
Pros
Fun Work Environment
Cons
Below Market Salary
Lack industry knowledg
IRA Representative (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXMarch 23, 2017
This was not a bad company to work for but it was very unorganized which caused unneeded stress and difficulty providing the best possible customer service. The staff that was hired was not familiar with the financial industry and did not understand the value of the investments that they were dealing with. Lack of training and providing the needed knowledge to the staff made it hard for everyone in the organization both employees and customers.
Pros
local = close to home
Cons
lack of industry knowledge
Challenge
Dance Choreographer & Director (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaMarch 1, 2017
It was a challenge for me to teach bank employees. Every after work, I felt their stress and tiredness. Even though I have a hard time teaching, I always tried to be positive and energetic because I did not want to yell at them and give them more stress. After all, adjusting to clients is an important attitude.
Was a banking business, Great Co-workers
Senior Accounting Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 13, 2017
Sterling Bank is very much a great bank however my experience and abilities are not the best match for banking. The co-workers were great and the group was upbeat. The location was also convenient.
Pros
Great Co-workers
Cons
Typical Banking
good company
SENIOR MORTGAGE CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAJanuary 25, 2017
A good company to work for. The company had a an efficient promote from within policy. Productive support staff. Changing management/culture style due to takeover.
N/a
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 10, 2016
Management and co-workers are very friendly.For me as beginner in this country was a very nice opportunity to educate myself with bank experience and learn the new way of handling the job.
Fun place to work
Teller Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Humble, TXSeptember 14, 2016
I liked working for Sterling Bank very much until it began to lose the personal touch with customers. I still keep in touch with some of the girls from there.
Pros
Fast paced
Cons
Began to be less about customer and more about money
good career start
Customer Service Representative III (Former Employee) –  Stafford, TXMay 11, 2016
although sterling is no longer around due to the ugly merge with Comerica bank.. the time spent there allowed us to grow into the executive employees that we are today. after the merge with Comerica bank, the banking industry grew into a dog fighting environment. tellers, bankers and managers all fighting over a sale like a piece of meat while customers are observing timidly from a distant. district manager is so hungry for sales, she would make employees harass the customers for a sale until they snap. if you do not meet your quota, there are disciplinary actions.
Pros
strong team
Cons
cannot requests for holdays off
Good place to work, great benefits
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 11, 2016
I was a bank teller .I processed deposits and withdrawals daily. I was able to sharpen my customer service and multitasking skills here.
Pros
Fun place to work, outstanding benefits
Cons
Little opportunity for advancement
Ok to work for
Personal Banker / FSR (Former Employee) –  Pasco, WANovember 11, 2015
Performed various secretarial duties, teller, personal banker, vault teller, assisted in training new employees and etc.
Great place to work if you are looking for advancement and growth
Personal Banker I/ CSR III (Former Employee) –  Burien, WANovember 3, 2015
The environment is very positive and has great room for advancement. If you love working with the public and forming relationships this is the place to be. Plus the benefits package is an added bonus.
Pros
Benefits and room for advancement
Cons
Long hours on your feet
Culturally Based
STORE MANAGER, AVP / UNIVERSAL ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAOctober 21, 2015
Sterling Savings Bank became Umpqua Bank and went through many changes. A merger of this magnitude will obviously create challenges, changes and layoffs. It is in how it is handled that gives one the feeling that things are going to be alright. The CEO of the company told people, "get on board with the culture or get out". I know that the company is a good company once you are onboarded properly into the company, but it became a place where you didn't feel like you could be yourself and that everyone was out for themselves due to fear of layoffs/termination.

My day consisted of helping customers. Whether they wanted to do a deposit, make a loan, open an account or get further services, I was there to help them. This was one great model Umpqua gave. It allowed one person to do anything for the customer and not have to bounce them from person to person.
Pros
Paid volunteer time. 40 hours for FT and 20 for PT
Cons
Fear of not being a part of the culture and being let go for it.
Great place to work and great coworkers!
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Oakridge oregonOctober 17, 2015
I enjoy this type of work and I really liked working with my coworkers. The hardest part of my job was when the Bank Manager was fired and I filled in as acting manager for a few months until we hired a new one. I really learned a lot from this experience.
Pros
Coworkers, type of work
Cons
We went through employees a lot
Great banking position and interesting company.
Auditor (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIOctober 2, 2015
This was one of the best banking jobs I have had in the state of Michigan, learned a lot, great company , very interesting people!
Pros
Excellent exposure in financial industry, talented people.
Cons
Due to downsizing, we were laid off.
Best Company
Operations Associate II (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXJuly 17, 2015
Best place ever worked till company closed down, my first office job worked in data entry then move up in company as a computer oper. in the computer room.
Fun Place to Work
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lantana, FLJuly 9, 2015
Management was very understanding and provided support to their employees Gave bonuses when company had a good quarter
Great place to work overall
Deposit Ops Assistant (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WAJuly 9, 2015
Depending on department and management, Sterling Savings Bank was a great Bank to work for. Good benefits and Sterling was active in the local community.
Great Bank, Great people.
Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  Scio, Or 97374July 2, 2015
Reviewed customers need, opened checking, savings and retirement accounts both personal and business. Loans and other credit needs. Back up teller, cash checks, make deposits, balance atm, problem solve, answer phone calls, use fax machine, 10 key, microsoft and other banking software. Follow multiple regulations and maintain confidentiality at all times.
Pros
Great company to work for, paid holidays, vacation and sick days.
Cons
When Sterling closed their doors in 2013.