Sterling Savings Bank Employee Reviews in United States

Great place to work if you are looking for advancement and growth
Personal Banker I/ CSR III (Former Employee) –  Burien, WANovember 3, 2015
The environment is very positive and has great room for advancement. If you love working with the public and forming relationships this is the place to be. Plus the benefits package is an added bonus.
Pros
Benefits and room for advancement
Cons
Long hours on your feet
Good place to work, great benefits
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 11, 2016
I was a bank teller .I processed deposits and withdrawals daily. I was able to sharpen my customer service and multitasking skills here.
Pros
Fun place to work, outstanding benefits
Cons
Little opportunity for advancement
good career start
Customer Service Representative III (Former Employee) –  Stafford, TXMay 11, 2016
although sterling is no longer around due to the ugly merge with Comerica bank.. the time spent there allowed us to grow into the executive employees that we are today. after the merge with Comerica bank, the banking industry grew into a dog fighting environment. tellers, bankers and managers all fighting over a sale like a piece of meat while customers are observing timidly from a distant. district manager is so hungry for sales, she would make employees harass the customers for a sale until they snap. if you do not meet your quota, there are disciplinary actions.
Pros
strong team
Cons
cannot requests for holdays off
Great place to work and great coworkers!
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Oakridge oregonOctober 17, 2015
I enjoy this type of work and I really liked working with my coworkers. The hardest part of my job was when the Bank Manager was fired and I filled in as acting manager for a few months until we hired a new one. I really learned a lot from this experience.
Pros
Coworkers, type of work
Cons
We went through employees a lot
If you fit in then its a great place to be....
CSR/Teller (Former Employee) –  Ontario, ORJuly 20, 2013
Had so much potential to be a great place to work, but fell short as far as in branch management. The higher ups in the region were mostly good but one in particular was not so much. Co-workers were great to work with it was just the branch management that was disappointing to the point were one can feel bullied if you did not fit in with the look of a banker/teller. But I did appreciate the understanding when it came to events for my kids appointments but not so much when it came to emergency situations such as home situations.
Pros
met a lot of good people including co workers
Cons
in branch management and the way raises were done was terrible.
Great place to work overall
Deposit Ops Assistant (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WAJuly 9, 2015
Depending on department and management, Sterling Savings Bank was a great Bank to work for. Good benefits and Sterling was active in the local community.
Challenging, rewarding work with good humored collaborative environment.
Vice President - Accounting Manager (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WAMarch 29, 2013
Sterling is an excellent place to work, particularly in the finance & accounting department. We value a strong balance between work & life demands. We encourage our team members to stretch and grow professionally within the company, promoting from within whenever possible. Being a mid-sized public company, there is broad range of opportunity for a motivated finance professional with a variety of functions within the finance area including SEC & regulatory reporting, Tax, FP&A, Treasury, Cash management & investments, General accounting & reporting, etc. There are lots of opportunities to grow and learn within the company and the management team is excited to provide an open-door, mentoring approach for the staff - where mistakes are a part of learning process and there are no "dumb questions". I love it at Sterling.
Pros
strong personable leadership. great work/life balance with ridiculous number of banking holidays.
Cons
not the strongest benefits package (for example: 401k matching is only 35cents to the dollar).
great company
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Federal Way, WAApril 29, 2015
Loved the people I worked with for the 8 years I was employed there. Great company to work for. Good benefits, competitive wages.
Very structured work environment
Branch Admin, Facilities Mgr, Processor Asst (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 7, 2014
There was a definite disconnect between production and support services.
Pros
good benefits, lovely workplace, approachable management
Cons
little or no chance for advancement in my position
Ok to work for
Personal Banker / FSR (Former Employee) –  Pasco, WANovember 11, 2015
Performed various secretarial duties, teller, personal banker, vault teller, assisted in training new employees and etc.

Want to know more about Sterling Savings Bank?

Ask a question
Great banking position and interesting company.
Auditor (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIOctober 2, 2015
This was one of the best banking jobs I have had in the state of Michigan, learned a lot, great company , very interesting people!
Pros
Excellent exposure in financial industry, talented people.
Cons
Due to downsizing, we were laid off.
Fun Place to Work
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lantana, FLJuly 9, 2015
Management was very understanding and provided support to their employees Gave bonuses when company had a good quarter
Fast-paced, heavy, fun, and service oriented.
Factor Sales Administrator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 27, 2012
Sterling National Bank is well managed, growing, and dedicated to delivering excellence in customer satisfaction and services that benefit its clients, customers, and employees.

A typical day at work can be fast-paced, heavy, and fun because of how everyone supportively interacts in both groups as well as across departments to help achieve goals and keep informed. Also, management and the culture encourage a balance of work and life.

Sterling's management team is competent, reasonably demanding and not oppressive or overbearing. They balance and are attentive to serving the needs of the business, clients, and employee concerns.

My co-workers represented a broad, healthy mix of talented people that includes many experienced, young, fun, smart, knowlegeable, and sociable individuals.

The most enjoyable part of the job was producing results that got positive responses from interactions with clients and customers. It could be a simple "thank you," answering questions, or helping a client make payroll.

The hardest part of the job was having to leave. Life happens. I still think Sterling is an excellent company.
Pros
solid management, good life-work balance, good employee culture
Cons
no cons.
Great Bank, Great people.
Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  Scio, Or 97374July 2, 2015
Reviewed customers need, opened checking, savings and retirement accounts both personal and business. Loans and other credit needs. Back up teller, cash checks, make deposits, balance atm, problem solve, answer phone calls, use fax machine, 10 key, microsoft and other banking software. Follow multiple regulations and maintain confidentiality at all times.
Pros
Great company to work for, paid holidays, vacation and sick days.
Cons
When Sterling closed their doors in 2013.
Great job!!!!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WaFebruary 4, 2014
I loved working for Sterling! From the admin experience gained, to the benefits offered, Sterling is a wonderful employer. Yes you must work hard and show results, but who doesn't have to do that when you are being paid good money.
Pros
benefits, proper job training, great co-workers.
Cons
mass lay-off when i worked for them.
Great teams!
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Jefferson, ORNovember 3, 2012
All managers and co-workers are pleasant and respectful. Managers take the time to listen to needs of employee's and offer many opportunities to voice opinion. The compensation is great and opportunity for more income is all based on individual performance.
Pros
incentive
Cons
advancement can be difficult.
Great place to work for
Bank Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TexasOctober 15, 2013
The job at Sterling Bank was outstanding. Their was room for advancement . The pay was above the standards for Security, they also had all of the benefits for their employees.
Pros
good traing for the employees, wages were good.
Cons
had to answer to the bank's officer mgr. who didn't know anything about security
A productive and fun place to work.
Senior Collateral Review Analyst (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 3, 2012
Sterling Bank had a great culture. They allowed their employees to maintain a balance between work and your personal life. It was like working for a big family. Their was job security at the time.
Productive good work environment
Universal Associate (Former Employee) –  Auburn, WAApril 29, 2015
Fast paced teller, new accounts and customer service. Loved my co-workers until they were laid off due to merger, and loved customers. Hardest Part of job was working long hours due to being short handed.
Productive, a lot of chance for involvement
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Pilot Rock, ORMay 1, 2012
8:15-5:15
I have learned a lot of banking information. Great chance for advancement, knowledgeable staff, great benefits. You have down time because of the slow traffic. Enjoyable place to be employed.
benefits
Cons
slow traffic flow

Sterling Savings Bank Reviews by Location