Sterling Savings Bank Employee Reviews

Fun place to work
Teller Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Humble, TXSeptember 14, 2016
I liked working for Sterling Bank very much until it began to lose the personal touch with customers. I still keep in touch with some of the girls from there.
Pros
Fast paced
Cons
Began to be less about customer and more about money
good career start
Customer Service Representative III (Former Employee) –  Stafford, TXMay 11, 2016
although sterling is no longer around due to the ugly merge with Comerica bank.. the time spent there allowed us to grow into the executive employees that we are today. after the merge with Comerica bank, the banking industry grew into a dog fighting environment. tellers, bankers and managers all fighting over a sale like a piece of meat while customers are observing timidly from a distant. district manager is so hungry for sales, she would make employees harass the customers for a sale until they snap. if you do not meet your quota, there are disciplinary actions.
Pros
strong team
Cons
cannot requests for holdays off
Good place to work, great benefits
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 11, 2016
I was a bank teller .I processed deposits and withdrawals daily. I was able to sharpen my customer service and multitasking skills here.
Pros
Fun place to work, outstanding benefits
Cons
Little opportunity for advancement
Ok to work for
Personal Banker / FSR (Former Employee) –  Pasco, WANovember 11, 2015
Performed various secretarial duties, teller, personal banker, vault teller, assisted in training new employees and etc.
Great place to work if you are looking for advancement and growth
Personal Banker I/ CSR III (Former Employee) –  Burien, WANovember 3, 2015
The environment is very positive and has great room for advancement. If you love working with the public and forming relationships this is the place to be. Plus the benefits package is an added bonus.
Pros
Benefits and room for advancement
Cons
Long hours on your feet
Culturally Based
STORE MANAGER, AVP / UNIVERSAL ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAOctober 21, 2015
Sterling Savings Bank became Umpqua Bank and went through many changes. A merger of this magnitude will obviously create challenges, changes and layoffs. It is in how it is handled that gives one the feeling that things are going to be alright. The CEO of the company told people, "get on board with the culture or get out". I know that the company is a good company once you are onboarded properly into the company, but it became a place where you didn't feel like you could be yourself and that everyone was out for themselves due to fear of layoffs/termination.

My day consisted of helping customers. Whether they wanted to do a deposit, make a loan, open an account or get further services, I was there to help them. This was one great model Umpqua gave. It allowed one person to do anything for the customer and not have to bounce them from person to person.
Pros
Paid volunteer time. 40 hours for FT and 20 for PT
Cons
Fear of not being a part of the culture and being let go for it.
Great place to work and great coworkers!
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Oakridge oregonOctober 17, 2015
I enjoy this type of work and I really liked working with my coworkers. The hardest part of my job was when the Bank Manager was fired and I filled in as acting manager for a few months until we hired a new one. I really learned a lot from this experience.
Pros
Coworkers, type of work
Cons
We went through employees a lot
Great banking position and interesting company.
Auditor (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIOctober 2, 2015
This was one of the best banking jobs I have had in the state of Michigan, learned a lot, great company , very interesting people!
Pros
Excellent exposure in financial industry, talented people.
Cons
Due to downsizing, we were laid off.
Best Company
Operations Associate II (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXJuly 17, 2015
Best place ever worked till company closed down, my first office job worked in data entry then move up in company as a computer oper. in the computer room.
Fun Place to Work
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lantana, FLJuly 9, 2015
Management was very understanding and provided support to their employees Gave bonuses when company had a good quarter
Great place to work overall
Deposit Ops Assistant (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WAJuly 9, 2015
Depending on department and management, Sterling Savings Bank was a great Bank to work for. Good benefits and Sterling was active in the local community.
Great Bank, Great people.
Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  Scio, Or 97374July 2, 2015
Reviewed customers need, opened checking, savings and retirement accounts both personal and business. Loans and other credit needs. Back up teller, cash checks, make deposits, balance atm, problem solve, answer phone calls, use fax machine, 10 key, microsoft and other banking software. Follow multiple regulations and maintain confidentiality at all times.
Pros
Great company to work for, paid holidays, vacation and sick days.
Cons
When Sterling closed their doors in 2013.
Productive good work environment
Universal Associate (Former Employee) –  Auburn, WAApril 29, 2015
Fast paced teller, new accounts and customer service. Loved my co-workers until they were laid off due to merger, and loved customers. Hardest Part of job was working long hours due to being short handed.
great company
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Federal Way, WAApril 29, 2015
Loved the people I worked with for the 8 years I was employed there. Great company to work for. Good benefits, competitive wages.
Work place is good
Bank Security Officer (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 29, 2015
It Good company for entry level and learn more skill.
Company Management help to learn more skills.
Its regular day at work
Customer Service, business growth, loans, financial needs, team motivation, computer work
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Coulee City, WAMarch 28, 2015
I enjoyed my job and duties greatly. I took pride in my level of customer service, operations, team morale and business growth.
Great place to work for 24 1/2 years.
Accountant-Fixed Asset/Property Tax Accountant (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WA, 99201March 25, 2015
Great place to work for 24 1/2 years. Enjoyed working on many different projects each day....not repetitive. Most people were great to work with and I increased my accounting knowledge a great deal.
Great people bank and great customer service.
Loan Processor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 4, 2014
I believe that is a great bank and the people you work with our sincere.
Productive workplace
Teller (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 13, 2014
Lots of meetings but overall a fun friendly environment. Lots of room for advancement.
Local Company
Loan Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WashingtonOctober 13, 2014
Sterling was a great place to work. It was a local bank that was well known among the community. The company has undergone many changes in management through the years which has changed the dynamics.