STERLING Employee Reviews

Manage a retail branch
BRANCH MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Florence, ORJanuary 22, 2016
The culture, management and core values changed with the merger of Sterling to Umpqua Bank. This rating is for Sterling.
Fun work enviroment
back check- Aviation specialist (Current Employee) –  Rocklin, CAJanuary 6, 2016
I log into my Outlook and Admin I then will my check my emails and voicemails. Depending on Priority I handle escalations to less important duties of the day such as attaching files to searches, returning phone calls processing mail away requests also conversing with former client employers instructing what is needed to fulfill requirements of a request.
Pros
I am able to communicate with my applicants and I get to do desk work.
Cons
Poor floor management
Challenging corporate culture
Diamond/Gem Consultant, Sales (Current Employee) –  Brookfield, WIMarch 10, 2016
A typical day at work began with reviewing quotas, and being reminded that if they were not met, you would be terminated.
I learned to value myself, even when the goals or quotas were impossible due to lack of mall traffic and advertising of our store. I learned to make good use of my time, building a book, making calls, and doing whatever it took to keep busy, including jobs that others did not wish to do, such as cleaning glass, vacuuming, and improving appearance of cases.

I have worked for 2 Sterling stores...one a "destination," upscale store, and one a mall store. While Sterling (now Cignet) touts a new "social interaction model" for their employees, they appear to have much learning and growing to do. The management was under a great deal of pressure, and often seemed to be "cracking" under it. The stores are highly controlled as far as communication goes, and one is reliant upon the integrity and willingness to communicate through management, while in one store being very helpful, and the mall store management being sorely behind in digital and internet communication, as well as guest services. There seemed to be a lack of continuing education for the management, and it was evident in the amount of complaints that the company received. Ethics were a problem, as the manager told me to "never mention the word CREDIT, while selling it...but to tell people (mostly of color) that they were 'entering a contest to win $1000.00" When and if they said no, they were ignored and walked away from...and then left the store. Layaway was an option, but it was highly discouraged.
  more...

Co-workers were usually highly competitive, and harsh...doling out personal insults and stealing sales. Many were admonished harshly in front of guests, making it uncomfortable for all involved. The hardest part of the job were the daily threats of "if you don't get credit applications, you will be terminated immediately." It didn't seem to have much to do with jewelry, customer service, or guest satisfaction. In one store (destination location), there was excellent training. In the mall store, it was a shark tank, with long time employees (30+ years), resenting the newcomers and taking over all sales opportunities.

The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know guests, accommodating their needs, and seeing them walk away happy and satisfied. I actually had guests write me thank you notes, and drop off flowers in gratitude for the customer care that I gave them. They loved that I remembered their names, and what they were looking to invest in. I loved working with a diverse group of guests, and was happy to find them something within their budget...and they were always coming back for more. I received feedback many times about how I handled a situation in a positive way. This is what I loved about the job...and my active listening skills and analytical skills, along with my social interaction skills from college brought me a long way and helped me to remain positive in an oftentimes negative environment.
Pros
Satisfied customers, who validated the job that I was doing, and reported it to management.
Cons
Short unpaid breaks, Sales and credit quotas for your days off, lack of training and support, lack of personal boundaries of fellow employees.
unspoken
Collections Representative (Former Employee) –  375 Ghent RdJune 24, 2016
I would just come in and sign in set up to start making calls, since I have many years and experience I pretty much do the same thing take my scheduled breaks/lunch and end the day with most of the time great day some not so good. All of the co-workers that I came in contact with were pretty good people. I love the bonuses every month!
Daily routine Summary of duties
Supervisor/EDI Specialist (Former Employee) –  Moorestown NJApril 23, 2015
Call center environment, listen and provide feedback to employees. Was responsible for monthly promotions to target products Marketing would introduce or products that needed a boost.
Worked well with peers, very team and small business orientated feel to the company.
Usually performance management, write ups, coaching and counseling.
Best part if job was coming up with ideas for promotions and watch the friendly competitive nature that would come out.
Least favorite no growth opportunities.
Pros
promotions, team work
Cons
lack of growth opporunities
Great company to work for Very helpful
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 12, 2016
Example of true employment, They where very helpful in finding me employment. Sterling company stayed in contact with me the whole way thanks Streling!!!!
Horrible wages
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Canton, MIApril 28, 2016
Unrealistic amount of 9$ an hour before taxes is just ridiculous! This place offers no advancements or raises within the company. Complete waste of time especially for the minuscule pay rate.
Cons
No room for raises or extra hours
Good to start out
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 1, 2016
Good training for the job to be well- prepared but the sales pressure is extreme constantly needing to meet all sales standards.
Stay Away
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Broken Arrow, OKMarch 13, 2016
Company does not have regionals whom do their job. Thus making it hard for their managers to. They go thru managers like crazy due to this reason. Not a long term position for those in this field unless you are willing to take the blame of the lack of support from leaders in the company.
Nice place to work
Credit Customer Service/ Sales (Former Employee) –  Fairlawn, OHAugust 30, 2015
Sterling is a good company to work for especially around the holidays. They have good benefits, but bad turnover rate. Management is nice depending on which department you are working in.
Great co-workers and most management
Installer / warehouse / mover (Former Employee) –  Chelmsford, MAJune 19, 2013
work was the same but different environments each day. I very much liked working at sterling. The people I worked with were a great bunch of guys. My bosses were great management and easy to talk to. The owner was a great guy who really cared about his employees, who also was easy to talk to.
The problems with this job were that i never knew when i was getting out of work so planning my day was impossible. Also there were periods of the year where the work would slow down to almost dried up. Finally promotions were attainable but raises did not seem to be. So, after three years of stressing to budget my money for when work might not be available on top of not knowing when i was ever getting out of work and taking on more and more responsibilities while getting paid the same as someone who just started, i left in hopes to find steadier, better paying work. But i was assured that if i ever wanted my job back i would be more than welcomed to come back.
Pros
the people who worked there..employees..management..and owner
Cons
never knowing when i was getting out or when work was gonna dry up
Another good bank no longer existing
Loan Officer (Current Employee) –  Lake Oswego, OROctober 30, 2015
Really enjoyed the culture here prior to the merger with Umpqua. The better they are the sooner they fall in the banking world.
Assisted living with memory care unit
House Brookdale Senior Living (Current Employee) –  Broken Arrow, OKNovember 7, 2014
I really enjoy working with the other nurses in this community. I have learned to just accept people for who they are no matter what others may think or feel about me. Management is different from the Sterling House I have previously worked at, you just have to make each day better than the last and work hard to meet your goals for the facility. I enjoy all associates that I work with although some may be better off working for a different facility or changing what they do period. The hardest part of the day I can't really say because I try to go in everyday with a positive attitude and ask myself what can I learn today. The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with the residents each day and doing what I can to make them feel good about themselves and where they live.
Pros
close to home, pay is higher than anywhere else i have been
Cons
limited to 80 hrs a week no matter what, needs more responsible associates
Fast paced environment wearing multiple hats
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Canton, MISeptember 25, 2015
This was a small business that required all management to do multiple tasks. Most days went by quickly with high levels of stress. Excellent team helped get all things done when they needed to be.
Pros
free food and use of company vehicles
Cons
hot in summer and cold in winter
Professional and confidential responsibilities
Executive Assistant to President /Partner (Former Employee) –  Houston, TexasSeptember 10, 2015
Responsibilities included to the management of preparing reports with excel, wordperfect, powerpoint. Required personal, business travel arrangements. Professional communication with clients and executives.
Pros
bonuses for performance
Cons
limited social contact
Fantastic place to work
Assistant Property Manager/Outreach Specialist (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INDecember 18, 2015
Worked with wonderful people who were friendly and extremely helpful while learning my job. Would still be there if I had not moved out of state.
Pros
friendly, helpful, wonderful place to work, co-workers were fantastic
Cons
not in North Carolina
Sterling has the most jewelry stores in the United States, always a place to work and transfer.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Battle Creek, MIJuly 19, 2012
Sterling has great training for their sales staff. The organizational planner is none other than Covey! The merchandize mix in incredible. There is plenty of job advancement opportunities and places to grow with this company. The tools to help the customer are almost limitless. The advertising they do and the name of celebrity endorsement and merchandize is exceedingly helpful in the selling environment.
Pros
great place to learn and grow.
Cons
difficult work schedule for management.
Really provided me with medical assistant training
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sterling, VAJuly 29, 2015
Being an employee here for 3 years, I learned more than I ever thought. I was trained to help Radiologist with biopsies, got to have one on one interactions with the patients, and picked up things that only techs would understand. My co-workers were very helpful, and my manager was amazing.
Pros
flexible hours, great health benefits
Cons
A lot of gossip
Work work work
Credit Authorizer/ Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHSeptember 28, 2015
Task oriented and numbers. Must hit the numbers and have empathy in your voice. Your are a number not a person. You help them make their goals. They are good for holiday time feeding at your desk because they want you to sit there and work at your desk. They ask you to switch tasks and then at the end of the month review you didn't hit your mark and question why.
Pros
Great for holiday food in the office
Cons
Do not care about family time, schedule needs, you are just a number to them
ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Akron, OhioJune 7, 2014
I started my career as a clerical in the AP department them moved into Payroll and then Tax Department very quickly. Management encouraged me in my career. I enjoyed working with my co-workers. At the clerical level that I was at I can't say that my job was hard or challenging. I did enjoy the people I worked with and the fact that management was very interested in the progression of my career.
Pros
discounts on jewelry
Cons
spent too much money on jewelry