Stevens Transport

Stevens Transport Employer Reviews

Horrible, deceitful and unorganized
Company Driver recruit (Former Employee), Dallas, TexasMarch 14, 2015
Cons: everything
Wanted to work there but not now. I told them medication I was on and that I was bipolar and didn't hide anything they bussed me all the way from Ohio to orientation only to send me back home on day 2 after doctor read my physical paperwork. I met DOT regulations but company policy I don't. So basically wasn't hired because I am bipolar even though I am properly medicated have had no issues since being on this medication since 2009. DOT regulation just requires letter from my psychiatrist stating I'm on these medications and am stable. So I just filed an EEOC charge against them because bipolar falls under disability and discrimination. Made me feel broken and worthless. This is how they treat retired military veterans. Thanks for wasting my time and money by having me report to orientation only to have to turn around and go back home after one day. Total bus hours 60 not to mention money wasted on food. Appreciate you making me feel like garbage.
Good Training Company/Bad place to work
OTR Driver (Former Employee), Mesquite, TXFebruary 20, 2015
Pros: driving
Cons: pay
This job consisted of driving over the road mostly, along with maintaining the trailer and tractor as far as repairs. The management their was terrible and they would often lie and give empty promises in return for favors. The pay was at times less than minimum wage and the amount of work put in to the job compared to what you were getting paid didn't coincide. Driving across the US was probably the most enjoyable part of the job. Beyond that this company is not recommended for new CDL Drivers.
Over the road driver
Over The Road Driver (Former Employee), Dallas, TXJanuary 26, 2015
Delivered goods to several different places within the US.
I Enjoyed my job, however I had to move to East Texas
Customer Service Representative/Recruiter (Former Employee), Mesquite, TXJanuary 21, 2015
I recruited new hires for driving a big truck. I learned how to process background checks, mvrs, verify employment to hire students to become a truck driver. Good management. My co-workers was great to work with. Hardest about the job was to find good drivers. It was fun and exciting to make someone's day when they was recruited into the school.
Ok...for a stepping stone
Driver Manager (Former Employee), Dallas, TXJanuary 18, 2015
Pros: experience
Was a Driver Manager right out of college. I had no experience and eventually moved on and work for an awsome company . So, I do thank them for that experience in the transportaion industry to put on my resume. Like the other reviews, revolving door of people, no team work, managers that had no social skills and no business at all being a team leader. Maybee it's changed since 2005-2007 I don't know.
Ok...for a stepping stone
Driver Manager (Former Employee), Dallas, TXJanuary 18, 2015
Pros: experience
Good starting location to gain experience
Regional Dispatcher/ Planner/ Driver Manager (Former Employee), Dallas, TXJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: good people to work with
Cons: to much time at work
I learned a lot about the transportation and trucking industry at Stevens Transport. It was definitely a good starting point for my career in this industry. I was able to not only work in the office Stevens but I was also a driver in there owner operator division.
Truck driving
Truck Driver (Former Employee), Dallas, TXJanuary 5, 2015
Driving for this company was a amazing experience, I got the opportunity to drive across the country to different states and cities to deliver all kinds of products and help supply growing companies. the management system there allowed me to conduct everyday task on my own time an I was to get to the specific location on time and the hardest part of the job was that some deadlines were unable to be met.
Good Company to get your CDL Class A
Commercial Driver (Current Employee), Dallas, TXDecember 29, 2014
Nice Trucks, Thats about the best thing you can expect from this company.
truck drivers life
Truck Driver (Former Employee), Dallas, TXDecember 20, 2014
Cons: 2 breaks
every day before I started driving I did my pti
then called my driver manager to c what was the plan for that day
after everything was figured out I took off
and took care of some miles
after 8 hours of driving I would tike my 30min break as required by dots new law
in off duty status
walking my dog in the rest area
watching my truck
(now days u cant trust no one that's why I said watch the truck )
after walking dog I would hop back in my truck make a sandwitch
eat and take off
after about 2 hours I be starting too look for a truck stop to take my 10 hour break (I reither have one hour left on my clock looking for a place to park then have no time to look)
ones I comleted my day and park I would do my pti
and shut the truck of and put my ac on if it was equipped with it other wise the truck still be running
after eating dinner I be getting some rest and doing it the next day all over again until I be at my final
I was fresh out of CDL training and never had enough training at Stevens to get comfortable backing the unit.
Driver (Former Employee), Dallas, TXDecember 19, 2014
Pros: lots of runs, good equipment, timely pay
Cons: too quick, for me, to get me solo on the road.
I think this company might be too big. I was fresh out of CDL training school. At the Stevens training campus we were given two weeks of monitored training, for me it was mostly driving forward. Others had a schedule with heavy training in backing. We were then placed with a company driver for 3 weeks for "hands on" training. The people were nice, but I was just another person to train and I felt that I was just pushed ahead to get me on the road. I really never felt comfortable with backing these big rigs.
productive work place
Driver/Delivery (Current Employee), Houston, TXDecember 1, 2014
THE HARDEST PART OF THE JOB IS BEING AWAY FROM HOME
TRAINING WAS GOOD
LOVE DRIVING
Good student training but company policies are not clear
CDL Driver (Former Employee), Dallas, TXDecember 1, 2014
Pros: very good student training.
Cons: company policies are not very clear.
If you are wanting to be a CDL drivier Stevens is the place to go. But you must be careful, if you do 1 thing wrong you will get fired and they will tell you that "its in our compnay policy book" when its not. The compnay policies have many gray areas and they do take advantage of that.
Good training plan but not good work enviroment
OTR truck driver (Former Employee), Dallas, TXNovember 25, 2014
Pros: has bed in truck
Cons: your always in truck
Stevens transport does not have its employes as there main interest. the amount of hours spent on the truck without compensation is unreal. Only offers 2 days a month off and its hard to get those. Driver managers only have loads as there main interest in company. Hard to schedule any type of vacations with family. Single mans job for sure !!!
Best Hauling Truck Company
Truck Driver (Former Employee), Dallas, TXNovember 13, 2014
I used to drive for them but the dollar amount per mile was insignificant. They haul most of the produce in USA and CANADA for less money.
The Rea Deal, For anyone that is interested in training.
Previous Driver (Former Employee), Dallas TXNovember 13, 2014
Pros: good place to learn, good equipment
Cons: bad place to work. bad management
First let me tell you that this is a review of what to expect if you are interested in working at Stevens Transport. This is plain and simple what you will get from working with Stevens. I'm going to focus primarily on the new driver as that is how I got started with Stevens.

I'm sure experience drivers will already know all about Stevens Transport as their reputation echos in just about every Truck Stop, Truck Shop, Distribution Centers and even on the bathroom stalls. So you are on your own!

For the Newbies...
- If you don't have a CDL and have never drove a Big Truck, I would say this is a good place to learn and get your CDL.
- They do have a great skill course in their facility with probably the largest amount of space dedicated to train that I've seen compared to other CDL schools.
- For the CDL School...you will get 3 weeks of schooling with an average of 8-12 hrs a day in a mix of classroom and actual driving, THIS WILL INCLUDE SATURDAYS!

SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!
Be prepared to go thru hard times during the first months of your training. Stevens pays you only $350 a week during all your training, This is basically "Survival Pay" because after normal income tax deductions that will come down to between $300-$320 a week depending on your deductions and if you are single or married. Don't forget to deduct the $22 for the CDL School and your pay can be down to $280, after that comes in the portion of the "loan" for the bus ride to Dallas and the money for meals you got during school and that will bring your check down to as little as $250 a week. If you are single and you – more... have no one to feed other than yourself you are good, but if you are married and have children like I was then figure that most of that money will have to be sent home and you have to decide how much (or how little) you will need to "Survive" on. Food at truck stop is more expensive than at the regular strip mall places, some of these places will charge a premium on the food because they figure truck drivers get paid well and they can afford to pay high prices. If you happen to go to a truck stop in New Jersey and they have a Burger King there, don't get scared if the cheapest combo costs $12 with tax. Add it all up at 3 meals a day times 7 days a week and you may be out just about your entire paycheck if that is all you spend it on.
-Best thing to do is to convince your trainer to stop at a "Wally World' (Wal-Mart) and stock up on stuff you can afford. Cup O' Noodles are cheap and will fill you up. So bite the bullet and keep it under $40-50 a week because you will still get tempted for hot fresh food some days and you have to basically give yourself a budget or you will not make it.
- Most truck stops have microwaves and Water and Ice is always free if you bring your own cup. If you don't mind drinking the sodas, the BIG thermos cup they sell there are worth the price because refills are only a buck and some places like LOVES offer a free refill when you get fuel.
- Ask your trainer to stop at the Truck stops that have McDonald's or Subways and buy from the value menu. You might just get them to buy you a meal on them if you get a good trainer.
- Once you finish all your training you will go back to the Yard to graduate which consists of a driving test (to make sure your training was done) and some additional classroom training. Then you will get your truck assigned and ready to roll all by yourself.
- Before you get you truck assigned you may ask for time off because by now you have earned several days off (one day off for every week worked). I suggest you take the time off because it may be a couple of months before you get to ask for time off again after you get your truck. Going home for time off is on you, meaning that you pay for the cost to go back home. So if you don't live in Dallas, you can still ask to get your first load near you home and after delivery take your time off, but be prepared to get routed a long way around until you land something close to your home, and don't get surprised if they take the load trip away from you during the way there as "Driver Managers" are very "Re-Power" happy (load exchange with another truck). If you get a call to do a dispatcher a favor to Re-Power your load just say NO. Driver Managers constantly will ask you for favors but never return one so don't think they are on your side, if you got the load and you got the time to deliver it, just tell them NO, believe me it will not change your future loads because those are routed thru a different department out control of the Driver Managers.
- Truck Assignments are not instant and you may have to wait several days to get one depending on their supply.
- You will not get a pretty truck, after all you are a newbie and they will assign you an old truck that has gone thru several other drivers and may look like it should be put out to pasture.
- I suggest getting the truck in Dallas. They got a Detail shop that will clean the truck inside. They got a truck wash so you can get the truck shiny before you go out. You can also exchange mattresses for new ones so you don't have to sleep in someone's sweat and body odors. Plus you can have any mechanical issues fixed there at the shop so you don't break down in the middle of nowhere.
- At this stage you will earn 26 cents a mile with 2 cents raise at 9 months of working and 1 cent raise at one year. You will get sh!tty loads at first because they are testing you and will not give you the good ones until you prove yourself, so don't mess around and be "ON TIME" follow all the rules and drive EXTRA safe.

Basically I recommend getting your one year deal done so they don't come after you for the CDL school fee's and then get out. Stevens is one of the worst paying companies out there and it is just not worth staying there longer that your "Sentence".
- Don't do the 401K as they it doesn't not vest until after 5 years, so it is not worth having them dock your small paycheck for them to use for their own purposes, plus you don't have that option until 9 months in anyhow and by then you will see how bad they do get giving you loads.
- Don't fall for the Alliance Program juice (Leased purchase). It is a ripoff and you will go broke before you know it. That program works only for the trainers that get paid the student miles. They Bambozle you into thinking that you will better loads (which you don't), and they nickle and dime your expenses to death. By the week's end your payment can be as high as a thousand dollars and if you get the average 1500 miles a newbie gets at the rate of 89 cents a mile that's just around $1300, take out the thousand for the least, the Insurance, the Plates, the Qualcom, the Pre-Pass, the Toll Tag, the TransFlow, Escrow and Fuel and you get around $300 left to your name. God forbid your truck breaks down but their "Payment" still continues so you will fall on the RED real fast!!! Take it from me, this program is meant for YOU to pay for THEIR truck, because at the end of the lease you don't get to keep the truck, you just start all over again and that truck you just paid for goes on to make them more money with another sucker! I've seen this happen to too many good drivers so don't fall for their lies.

Just finish your YEAR of experience, there are plenty of good companies that will gladly take you with one year experience and you will make way more money. Plan your budget while you are at Stevens and don't think you will make the suggested "Up to 65K" in your first year, if you are lucky you will get half that at best, but the training you gain will pay for your second year profit which for me was about 58K and got home every weekend. today I enjoy the fruits of my experience and I am an Owner Operator doing local runs making over 100K a year net, and being home every night. Just to think it only took 5 years to get here, but if you put your mind to it you can do it probably even sooner that I did. – less
Good company
Transportation/Dock Worker (Former Employee), Dallas, TXNovember 9, 2014
best company i worked for. wish i would of stayed. good people and pay
Stevens is a leader in refrigerated transport and driver training.
Truck Driver (Current Employee), Dallas, TXNovember 3, 2014
The first eight weeks with Stevens is a training period that consisted of both classroom learning and driving over the road with a driver trainer. Upon completion of training I began as a solo driver with a three month probationary period where I submitted my route plan and scale weights before each trip.
Productive environment and new tractor
Driver (Current Employee), Dallas, TXOctober 31, 2014
Pros: fuel bonuses
Cons: had to break before 8 hours
Stevens Transport’s Maintenance Division has made it easier for drivers and maintenance personnel to find a single truck in the ocean of Kenworth, Peterbilt, and Freightliners on the yard. The shop has offered a new software program called “Find My Truck” in which drivers can save time searching for their truck on the yard following a service or repair. Now, even driver managers can access the Find My Truck feature using the AS400 system to help drivers pin point the precise location of a power unit over the road. Welcome to 2013, Stevens Transport Drivers!
Its a great starter company!
A driver for Steven's transport (Former Employee), Dallas, TXOctober 30, 2014
Its an ok place to gain experience in the truck driving field.

1 2 3 4 5

About Stevens Transport

Stevens Transport, Inc. is recognized as one of North America's premier multi-modal, temperature-controlled freight carriers. – Read more

Stevens Transport Photos