Stevens Transport

Stevens Transport Employee Reviews

good starter company
Truck Driver (Current Employee), dallas texasAugust 17, 2015
great place to train can be paid more elsewhere for the same type of work not a good place to work if you want to spend time with your family as they offer very little home time
first start
Professional CDL Class A Driver (Current Employee), Dallas, TXAugust 5, 2015
Pros: newer trucks
Cons: not enough home time
Stevens gave me my start as a truck driver and I will be always be grateful to them for that. they provide good trucks when you become a fleet driver. until then you have to work hard to get there.
Productive and great learning experience
Professional Driver (Former Employee), Dallas, TXJuly 28, 2015
Delivery of freight all over the USA. Able to navigate through all cities and always made on time delivery. Able to maintain and operate refrigerated trailer.
Learning to be a professional Truck Driver
APPRENTICE PROFESSIONAL TRUCK DRIVER (Former Employee), Dallas, TXJuly 26, 2015
Pros: living out of the Truck, expenses paid.
Cons: Being away from home to long
I would be assigned to pick up load. Calculate miles per day to travel, route to follow and keeping track of driving 11 hours per day to the destination.
I learned how to inspect the rig I would be driving for safety purpose across the country and into Ontario Canada.
I learned to safely, park at Truck stops and as I drove, follow strict DOT rules.
The hardest part of the job was being on the road alone.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the many places I got to visit and new people.
Great company with professional people. I wanted to see the USA.
Long-Haul Commercial Truck Driver (Current Employee), Dallas, TXJuly 19, 2015
Pros: Freedom
Cons: Crawling around in freezing ice and snow.
Great communications and pleasant environment. A typical day is driving 10 or more hours, working 24/7 and holidays. I have learned that truck driving is a lot like being deployed and requires much flexibility and patience. My co-workers are helpful and professional. The hardest part of the job was adjusting to the time schedule and the most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people, seeing new places, and learning new skills.
bad communication, bad driver services, bad home time
OTR Driver (Former Employee), Dallas, TXJuly 16, 2015
Pros: good training program when it works
Cons: poor communication and it's hard to get home after being out 3-4 weeks at a time
I narrowed my job search down to Steven's Transport and Werner Enterprises, and I went with Stevens because of their training program. I went to orientation in the middle of October. I was in a class of about 30 people. Once orientation was done we ended with a class of about another 30 people who were waiting for driver/ trainers. Because it was so close to the holidays, I didn't get a trainer until the week of Thanksgiving. Most of the trainers wanted to be home during the holidays so I ended up with 5 different trainers. I stayed on the road for 4 months going through the training program. – more... Once done I had to beg for home time to take care of some personal business (3 days off). Once I got back to Dallas and went solo, they gave me and old truck which I didn't mind. But the truck had electrical issues. Sometime the lights would flicker while I was driving at night. Sometimes I would lose power when I shifted to reverse. After much crying (literally) and complaining, they finally gave me a new truck. I had no issues with the new truck. But, I started having issues with the communication problem at Stevens. The last straw for me was the last time I got home time. I got to the place I where I park my truck for home time and the place was closed. No security guard, no other Stevens trucks were there, the place was empty.Nobody told me anything. This was on a Sunday evening so Stevens only had the skeleton crew working. I called Driver Services and the guy told me to call Road Rescue. I get on the p[hone with Road Rescue and they gave me a secured place to park the truck. The next day I'm out enjoying time with my husband and I get a call from my DM asking where did I park the truck. I told him where I parked it and gave him the address and he said ok, apologized for calling on my day off and hung up. 10 mins later he calls back and tells me I need to move the truck because the place I parked it was not authorized by Stevens. I explained to him that Road Rescue told me to park it there and it was ok. He told me that Road Rescue is not a part of Stevens Transport and that they're a separate company that Stevens hired for support. He also told me that whenever Road Rescue sends me somewhere or tells me to do something, it is my responsibility to let my DM or someone at Stevens know what is going on because Road Rescue does not communicate with the DM's. So needless to say, I had to waste half a day of home time moving my truck from one location to another. When I picked up my next load, I took it straight to the Steven's Transport yard, turned in my keys and paperwork and said goodbye.

Driving for Stevens was highly stressful. I currently drive for Werner and there is no stress at all, as long as I have on time delivery. The pay is ok, but I am out as long as I want (2-3 weeks), and they get me home when I request time off. – less
Excellent experience
Tanker Driver (Current Employee), Fluid TransferJuly 5, 2015
I have been here for 4 months, and I like it. I recomend it for anybody in the oilfiled. The staff are very helpful. The oil and gas industry in the oilfield is getting real slow and work for the drivers is drying up.
its a great place to work at.
Truck Driver (Current Employee), Dallas, TXJuly 2, 2015
Stevens is a good place to work for the environment is great. The trucks are very well up kept. the employees are very friendly.
Family run company
Driver Manager (Current Employee), Dallas, TXJune 26, 2015
Not the best place. Tough place to work if you care about people and there feelings. No training at all, basically sink or swim.
Not a bad place to work
Professional Driver (Former Employee), Dallas,txJune 22, 2015
Company equipment was excellent but the people were not so nice. The loads always got us out but they were very bad about getting us home to our families. I love to drive but was missing my family.,
Bad Equipment
Driver (Former Employee), Stockdale, TXJune 22, 2015
Didn't like the commute to work and back. Not worth the pay. Not a very organized company. Poor communication from management.
Great place to work.
Driver Management (Former Employee), Dallas, TexasJune 18, 2015
Pros: Awesome environment
Cons: Lack of work and hours.
Working for Stevens Transport, I learned great organizational skills, good communication skills, and excellent customer service skills.
Low Pay. Rude Office Employees. Scam Lease Program
CDL Class A Truck Driver (Current Employee), Dallas, TXJune 16, 2015
Pros: Lengthy training that looks good to other companies
Cons: healthcare, management, shop workers, dispatchers
I joined Stevens last year. I have been with them for a little over a year and still unfortunately here but seeking employment elsewhere. The office staff are very unprofessional and talk down to truck drivers like we're children. They try to force you to deliver loads knowing you don't have enough hours or a place to park afterwards. The pay is very poor considering I'm making less at a year experience than some training companies pay to start out with. They lie constantly and are quick to leave pay off of your check. I have been told on three separate occasions that I could join their local tanker division then when the time comes I'm told I have to wait a few more months. Every time you take your truck to the shop to get it repaired you have to check their work and most of the time have to send it back in because they haven't fixed it. No pay while you're stuck doing their repetitive seasonal workshops and stuck on the yard doing work to get released to drive. Never home on the day you request it and have to fight to get home when time comes.
Never have accident (s)
Truck Driver (OTR) (Former Employee), Dallas, TXJune 12, 2015
Pros: Excellent training programs
Cons: Equipment, Driver Managers, Communication
Well if you're looking for some of the best training there is, this is the place to go. However, if you're hunting long term and good communication skills, go elsewhere. I was with them from January of this year until May (their counting) and well it was great in the beginning. After training, prepare to see the true side. Not a big complainer, but the best advice I can offer anyone is to try and maintain as little unnecessary communication with your DM as humanly possible, lest you end up with a mechanically dangerous piece of equipment for your first run. Not to mention through irritation from their constant threats and arguments, you end up in a back alley listening to them and be notified later that you could've stayed at your drop point. Be independent out there and you'll do fine. My only regret is not realizing this sooner.
HOSTILE WORK ENVIRONMENT!!!
Accounting (Former Employee), DallasJune 11, 2015
Pros: None that I know of
Please review my warning. You must have very thick skin to work here. There is no team morale whatsoever. You are talked down to like you are a two year old. Training is a joke. And don't bother seeking advice from Human Resources. You will be let go in a matter of days.
Diving my 18 wheeler from state to state
ORT Refrigeration driver (Former Employee), Dallas, TXMay 26, 2015
Pros: Taking long trips to explor
Cons: Being gone from my family
Taking long trips across the U.S to deliver all kinds of major foods. I learned how to use my time wisely. Learned how to take charge of my trip and plan what needed to be done on a day to day without supervision. The hardest part of my job was being away from my family for long amounts of time. But what I enjoyed was getting back home to show off my truck to the up coming students that wanted to be drivers.
Great place to train
Owner Operator (Former Employee), Dallas, TXMay 3, 2015
Pros: great training
Cons: Pay is not so good
I really don't have much to say about Stevens transport. Everyday was a challenge, rather it was with management or with other Stevens drivers. It always seem as if their issues with my pay and management was in no hurry to fix it.
Must like to drive cross the USA for weeks.
Truck Driver (Former Employee), Dallas, TXApril 23, 2015
Pros: At Stevens, your driving the newest Kenworth tractors and being trusted to deliver loads on time.
Cons: Training sucked! Be sure your "trainer" is a trainer to teach you the correct way to drive a truck, and everything else you should know about your truck, trailer, and how to drive., My trainer was NOT a trainer and didnt teach me anything, it was sad.
Over the road truck driver could be the best job ever or not. Best job because if you like to drive, and stock up money in the bank, (due to living in a truck) its the job for you.
OTR drivers I give credit to. Hauling loads to reach your destinations on time, dealing with traffic, weather, etc.
Hardest part of job, getting use to driving day after day and staying in shape.
Most enjoyable, being your own boss and being counted on to delivery products and goods on time.
A bad place to work
Commercial Operator (Former Employee), Dallas, TXApril 18, 2015
Pros: Free training
Cons: Too many to list
Stevens transport is not a good place to work. The company has a very high turn over rate for a number of good reasons, the greatest of which is an endemic disrespect of its employees, whom are treated more as liabilities than assets. I would not recommend Stevens transport to anybody seeking employment.
Busy Environment
Transportation Coordinator (Current Employee), Dallas, TXApril 13, 2015
Pros: Paid weekly
Cons: No flexibility in your work schedule
A typical day could be very busy. You must have a lot of patience in dealing with individuals on the phone and in person. Be open to learning new things on your own.
Headquarters