Stewart's Shops

Stewart's Shops United States Employee Reviews

Fun Time Working there.
Team Member/Cashier (Former Employee), Schenectady, NYApril 16, 2015
Pros: discounts
Cons: discounts not available at other shops
I loved the job. I learned how to work with others as a team and how to make the work load lighter and go faster. My greatest gain from this job was doing tasks in a timely matter.
is an ok place to work if you dont have a family
Clerk (Former Employee), Sharon Springs, NYApril 14, 2015
Pros: discounts
Cons: no breaks unless you were a smoker
Stewarts is a hard company to work for when the managers are not consistent. Daily I would wait on approximately 300 customers while making food, doing audits and cash checks and orders as well. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to see the customers!
Great place to work!
Main Opening Shift Manager (Former Employee), Schenectady, NYApril 13, 2015
Pros: Discounted food for breaks, Great Environment, Merit bases Raises, Completely Flexible Schedule
Cons: Fast paced- not a con in my opinion though
I loved my time at stewarts shops. My constantly changing college schedule caused me to flip my work schedule numerous times. I could go from closing the store from 3pm-11pm, or opening from 3:30am to 12pm. Management was great, the customers were amicable, and the payrate is based on merit. I earned several raises in just a year. I was also offered chances to become a food safety inspector and a assistant manager. Overall great company and great place to work!
Employee Oriented company
Partner (Former Employee), Ballston Spa, NYApril 3, 2015
How you feel about this job really depends on the shop that you work at. I personally loved my manager and shop employees. The work was doable, although there was a lot of it, I think the pay and expectations were very fair here.
High School of the Convenience Store Chains
Store Partner and Cashier (Former Employee), Poughkeepsie, NYApril 1, 2015
Cons: Cannot be relieved of shifts unless you find coverage
Very passive aggressive work environment, juvenile, management team not strong, had anaphylaxis and they would not let me leave until I found my own coverage. Very poor work environment.
Stewart's
Shop Employee (Former Employee), Albany, NYMarch 20, 2015
An easygoing workplace with lots of interaction with customers. A lot is demanded of you, however, and many activities need to be attended to at all times. Requires heavy multitasking capabilities.
Excellent first job
Shop Partner (Former Employee), Bennington, VTMarch 6, 2015
Stewart's teaches how to multitask, meet people, greet people and discipline. Stewart's helps people be aware of their surroundings. I learned a lot about partnership, friendship and team-work.
stay away
mit (Former Employee), chathamMarch 6, 2015
Pros: half off food
Cons: no breaks
Omg it was the most stressful job i ever had.
way to much work for 2 people stay away you will end up hating it
no one is happy here
Easy going but low pay
Beverage Selector (Former Employee), Saratoga Springs, NYFebruary 6, 2015
Pros: free drinks
Cons: low pay
Good environment to work in. Management could be better and the pay is low for a warehouse job. However, I learned the value of hard work.
Fast paced busy company
Clerk (Current Employee), New Lebanon, NYJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: meet several people (regulars)
Cons: very little pay for a lot of work
Learned a lot about retail. Learned how to multitask and take leadership. Love meeting new people. Job is a lot better working with decent, reliable, easy-going employees. Becomes stressful when very busy and have little help.
Productive and Helpful
Customer Service (Former Employee), Troy, NYOctober 28, 2014
Pros: small community, friendly staff, discounted products.
Cons: very flexible breaks, erratic hours.
A small store with emphasis on community relations. Building relations with the local community allows Stewart's to be a well-loved place with a solid customer base. Stewart's allowed me to build a skill set centered around customer service by having daily face-to-face encounters with all types of customers. Management is always flexible with school schedules and life scenarios that arise throughout employment. Employees become similar to a family by helping each other in and out of work and by living in the community in which they are working. While every job has its difficulties, they was never a situation that someone had not dealt with and the employees were always willing to help each other when dealing with difficult customers or situations relating to the property. Working with such a small community allowed for strong personal relationships with customers and the ability to be proactive in the customer service approach.
Partner (Former Employee), Watervliet, NYJune 9, 2014
Interacted with different customers providing them with great customer service.
I suppose it could be worse..
Partner (Former Employee), Ballston Lake, NYJune 8, 2014
Pros: half off store brand items during shift, uniform, good pay
Cons: unpredictable schedule, no coverage, negative environment
On the positive side, they pay over minimum wage for a job with minimum qualifications, but they work every last penny out of you. Work was never completed on the shift it was supposed to. Can't find coverage when sick, receiving requested time off is hit and miss, and you were regularly stuck staying after your shift with no compensation. Everyone's payroll information is submitted with paper and pencil and hours are frequently off in pay checks. Upper-level management couldn't care less about their employees or basic issues going on within the shops. Very negative atmosphere; I couldn't trust anyone and felt very uncomfortable here.
What you would expect
Clerk (Former Employee), Glenmont, NYMay 1, 2014
My problem was that I kept getting management that would blame me or someone else for their mistakes.... other than that, i would work here again.
Fun enviroment, good co-workers
Partner (Current Employee), Duanesburg NYMarch 31, 2014
we have a set list of tasks to completed before closing, as well as completing secondary tasks. I've learned how to work better with others as everyone has theyre own way of doing things, I've also become good wih money and completing things quickly and large amounts of pressure. The management is very easy to work with and will help you out in anyway you need it. I love my co-workers, we all work so well together, we've become somewhat of a family. The hardest part of the job would be trying to complete the list when you're dealing with large amounts of customers when only working with one other person. The best part about the job would be my co-workers and most of the customers, we're on a first name basis with some of them and they know our lives as we know theirs.
Professional and Fast-Paced workplace
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Current Employee), NYMarch 11, 2014
Pros: fast- paced, professional
Cons: short breaks/none at all
Fast-paced workplace with many tasks to perform at once. Multi-tasking skills are a must have to perform well. I enjoy the fast-paced envirnment, the coworkers, manangers, and the customers.
A good experience turned awful
Cashier (Former Employee), Amsterdam, NYMarch 5, 2014
Pros: educational, nice customers
Cons: personal lives affected professional success
When I started this job it was fun and fast paced and the environment was great, and I was quickly given a great position on the team and trusted to train new hires. However there was an underlying issue with the manager that led to issues for the entire shop, and slowly led to people losing their jobs or quitting, making it hard on the rest of the team. The manager ended up being terminated by corporate shortly after I left on injury, and the new management seems to be successful.
A typical day included stocking, cleaning, and customer service. The hardest part was keeping the back room clean, and the best was helping friendly customers. This job taught me how your personal life can be affected by your job and vice versa.
Great job to have with potential for advancement.
Truck Loader/ Warehousing (Former Employee), Saratoga Springs, NYFebruary 13, 2014
Pros: good money, not stale, opportunity for advancement
Cons: quick to let an employee go
Hard, fast paced work but worth the money you are paid. Great benefits, ability to learn trucking etc. Possibility of advancement and raises given quarterly. Cannot be a slacker as I found out, but when I wasn't having an issue, I worked very hard and got my tasks and then some completed.
Fast paced work environment in a growing company of retail stores.
Manager (Former Employee), Clifton Park, NYFebruary 6, 2014
- Manage day to day operations in the store to produce long term goals
- Train employees in sales, accounting, leading, and the daily operations of the business
- Attend weekly meetings with the District Manager to discuss long term goals- go over in detail at weekly meetings with partners
- Gain experience in managing and leading employees, ordering and selling products
- Review individual performance with partners weekly- rotating
- Prepare weekly paperwork on store performance for corporate- responsible for store growth month over month
- Work with outside vendors to keep products in stock in store and at reasonable inventory levels
- Conduct short audits, cash checks, and other auditing actions necessary to protect against loss in the store
- Expanding organizational and communication skills both verbal and written
- Provide excellent customer service and bring positive energy to the store
- Make weekly schedules for the store a month in advance
Friendly staff
Partner 1/Cashier (Current Employee), Herkimer, NYJanuary 23, 2014
Cons: not a lot of hours
A typical day at work is busy and hectic and there is Always something to do whether it be taking care of a customer's needs or preparation for the next shift. It is run smoothly and efficiently and al of the people I work with are very helpful. The hardest part about my job is not having enough hours but there really isn't anything not fun about the job.

1 2 3

About Stewart's Shops

I scream, you scream, we all scream for Stewart's ice cream -- especially if we live in upstate New York or Vermont, home to  – Read more

Stewart's Shops Salaries