Stewart's Shops Employee Reviews in United States

Fun
Store clerk (Former Employee) –  Monticello, NYJune 26, 2016
This was my second job and I loved it. You get help customers and meet new people. I stocked shelves cleaned and made sure that the store looked good. I made great friends working and had a great team of people that I worked with.
Love working with Customers!
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Whitehall, NYJune 9, 2016
Stewart's is a fast paced work place. It can be incredibly stressful and definitely frustrating, but it can be so fun. Meeting new people and interacting with customers is the best part of the job.
awful
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Wynantskill, NYJune 1, 2016
how many times can i type awful. seriously. dont work here, the workers are cliche-y and manager is a serious jerk. just dont.
Pros
nothing. not worth the money
Cons
everything
Stewarts: We can do 800 things mediocre
Associate (Former Employee) –  Germantown, NYApril 27, 2016
I took the job here as I've been a long time customer and have known people who said it was an alright company. The problems with this company are many.
"Let's make food without an order for convenience"
The problem with this is sometimes it doesn't sell, so you end up throwing out about 1/3 of the food you make. Still an overall profit to the store, but the time spent making the food is a waste that could be better applied elsewhere
"Let's do paperwork and inventory while the store is running"
This is the same principle as changing a car as it's moving by saying "Well I'm going to be late if I don't inch along to my destination".
Just check everything when the store is closed/closing instead of during peak hours.
The staff there was great, grossly underpaid for the work they ask to do but otherwise on time. The upper management has to be the worst group of people wearing a tie I've yet to see. The company does a rennovation and puts the sink in the back (your kitchen at home- triangle of fridge, sink, and heating source. common sense, c'mon now) which made the job more difficult. In addition, they laughed at my idea to put an intercom in the back room so if someone is doing things back there they could get a prompt to "come up front" or "bring up bagels" which would've been cheap/easy enough considering the rennovation was going on and there's already an intercom system with multiple channels only going to the gas pumps.
In addition, can't give the staff making the joke of $180 a week a free sandwich that you'll be throwing out. 50% discount, and only on items
  more... you eat in stores. You weren't allowed to buy the sandwich and take it home at the discount.  less
Pros
none, this job probably doesn't even look good on my resume be honest
Cons
many
Supportive workplace
Crew member (Former Employee) –  Altamont, NYApril 26, 2016
My team members and staff would always support me. Help me when I needed help and would be very understanding. My manager was very understanding of my medical issues at the time and would work with me to accommodate me.
Working You Way Up?
Shift Supervisor/Cashier (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 11, 2016
I've been with the company for over ten years, a lot has changed. When I started the beginning rate was $7.00. The manager spent two weeks training me then left me on my own with another brand new employee to close the shop three nights a week. I worked hard, I tried my best to learn the requirements of the job, but I was faced with petty jealousy, back-stabbing, lying, being used as a scapegoat, and mental exhaustion.
You are responsible for a lot of things on shift. You must clean the store, (Mopping and Bathroom detail included) make food, stock the cooler and shelves, deal with customers, (ranging from pleasant to downright abusive) handle money, keep an eye on gas, make ice cream, change garbage, and even deal with hazardous materials from time to time. (I've been exposed to needles three times in my career and I've dealt with multiple gas spills) We deal with the public so there are accident reports, police reports, and we even risk being robbed.
If money goes missing, it's your fault, you can be written up, suspended or even fired. If people drive off with gas, it's your fault, you can be written up, suspended or fired. If one of your coworkers is stealing cigarettes on your shift (BECAUSE YOU WERE ALSO ON THAT SHIFT), you can be written up, suspended, or even fired.
Stewart's starts off their pay at $10 an hour now. So the people who had to work years to reach that level are now only making .50 to a dollar more than new people off the street. This can cause resentment among the employees. You don't clock out for breaks in this company, unless you are maintenance
  more... or work at the corporate level. If there are two people working during the lunch hour, you are not getting a break, when you do finally get to sit down if your partner gets busy you have to get up and help them. Smokers are the only ones who really get breaks because they get to leave the store to go outside and you really can't do anything but put your head down and work through their absence. Smokers can take several "short breaks" a shift but if you try to sit down to eat expect to be buzzed to help. It's not always guaranteed that you will be able to sit back down right away. One time I warmed up soup for lunch, got buzzed up, 30 minutes later my soup was cold and I was no longer hungry. Not the best break environment.
Many Stewart's shops have employees who are just there to collect a paycheck and don't pull their fair share of the weight. Unfortunately the way this company is set up, if you have a bad employee it is nearly impossible to get rid of them. This makes working for the company hard. Managers sometimes favor certain employees and unfairly give them promotions and raises above more qualified workers.
The discount is decent, 10% off all items even when you are off shift, 50% off of food and drink when you are on shift.
If you work over 20 hours a week you get put in their 401K program which puts a tiny bit of money (a percentage of your salary) into a retirement fund for you. Here's the catch, unless you have been enrolled in that program for five years, (No not an employee for five years, entered into that program working over 20 hours week and make sure your manager changes your status because if they don't it does not count!) you don't get the full amount in that 401K if you leave. Only after the five years in the program you are entitled to the full amount. If you work over 25 hours a week you get the 401K as well as earning time off. (Yes, you earn time off, every week you earn 3/4ths of an hour off) This time can be used for vacation or you can cash it in. No set sick days, if you are sick you need to cover your shift or the management can write you up for a no call/no show. If you are lucky enough to become a full timer, you get these benefits and the option of enrolling in health care. Incentive is a benefit program where if your profits increase from the year before the manager can choose to share this extra profit with the employees, but it isn't mandatory, the manager can keep that for themselves if they choose. There is no real way of telling if you earned incentive or not.
Flexible hours, possible changes in available hours, (you could work 15 one week then 24 the next) always changing items and rule changes. (when we got pizza everything changed)
Sometimes you are lucky and gain favor with the manager and have a good crew that don't drive you insane. Sometimes the manager doesn't like you, you have a high turn over rate and end up training employees for them to leave a month later.
It's the luck of the draw with this company.
fun environment if your working with the right people.
Partner (Current Employee) –  New YorkApril 5, 2016
go into work and hear others complain about the work load. do everything others asked because going outside to talk and smoke cigarettes is more important while the manager is not present
Pros
benefits, profit share
Cons
little to no breaks
Productive and effective work place
Partner (Current Employee) –  Johnstown, NYMarch 31, 2016
Fun work environment
Easy to get along with team members
Hardest part of job working at a fast pace
Most enjoyable part is all the regulars that come in everyday and make the day go by in a fun fast pace
Experience
Store Clerk/Deli Person (Former Employee) –  Oneonta, NYMarch 28, 2016
Retail is a good place to start in the working world. It gives you diversity and great customer service skills. It can give some reward in years of doing it.
Pros
Experience
Cons
low pay
All depends on which shop you are in
Partner (Current Employee) –  Goshen, NYMarch 16, 2016
I have been working at Stewart's almost 6 months now I would not recommend this job based on my experience here I am in Orange County District so my district manager does not keep anyone except higher-ups happy I visited a store up and Duchess area and everyone was happy with everyone the stores were cleaned and well-maintained but where I am if I wasn't making 11 an hour I would just leave this job is not worth the stress
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Almost everything
great company
cashier (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYJanuary 7, 2016
Stewarts was a great company to work for I did learn alot of brand new tasks. Unfortunatley this was short lived when new management took over and hours were drastically cut, after putting a transfer in for another stewarts shop so that i could regain hours, it was ignored. I wish things couldve worked out a little better but i think communication and positive attitudes amongst fellow employees could be greatly improved. All in all not a bad place just needs some work.
Lack of leadership limits individual success
NIGHT CLERK (Former Employee) –  Ogdensburg, NYJanuary 5, 2016
The interactions with the customers was an important skill to develop but, the management and ownership needs improvement.
Great People to work with
Partner (Current Employee) –  Kingston, NYDecember 7, 2015
Great for temporary positions (i.e. in-between jobs, seasonal, you don't have children and you still live at home) but if not, necessarily a career if you are not already in management. You can move up in the company, if you take the initiative.
productive and busy workplace
Partner, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fort Drum, NYNovember 24, 2015
You never stop moving,constantly something to do, customer service is #1 to Stewarts. co-workers there are great to work with and create a fun environment.
Great company
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Rexford, NYNovember 9, 2015
Great place to work along side of colleagues. You have a chance to meet such wonderful people at the job.This company believes in a fair work place.
Fun place to work, meet new people every day.
Corporate Auditor (Former Employee) –  Saratoga Springs, NYNovember 6, 2015
Enjoyed working at the shops. Enjoyed being there to help the partners in the shops when needed. Going a different place every day made the job more interested. The company is a good company to work for. We are all there to help the company growth.
Pros
knowing you are appreciated when helping partners in shops.
Cons
400-500 miles traveling weekly
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Watervliet, NYOctober 24, 2015
i didnt like it very much. management wasn't that great, and some customers were very rude
coworkers were amazing and made life fun
Hardest part was trying to talk to customers and reason with them
Cons
management was horrible
There's good and bad
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Albany nyOctober 18, 2015
be prepared to work your butt off and never get a break. You literally need to eat breathe and sleep Stewart's in a sense. The pay is good and the job isn't very hard, but I find many cow workers are miserable and take it out on new people. They think they're amazing because they work at a gas station go figure. You're literally running around doing things from the start of the shift to the end. Another horrible thing is how much the company wastes. It's beyond disgusting. Glad I'm only working here for the next 3 months before I leave to become a flight attendant and work a real job.
Pros
Pay, easy to learn
Cons
Really strenuous, no break time, always getting called in
What I've learned.
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Ellenville, NYOctober 13, 2015
I have learned to multi-task different things at the same time.
Such as:

Making hot and cold food for customers
Filling the cooler/Freeze/AV's
Ice cream services behind the counter
Making coffee

We would get a lot of business for the clean environment and the nice coworkers. Manager was nice. The hardest part of the job was keeping up during holidays if there was only two people a shift. The enjoyable part of the job was being able to see the customers come back more then once a day everyday and getting to know them.
The manager was great , always happy and making it fun.
Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Red Hook, NYSeptember 24, 2015
I only worked at the Stewart Shop for 8 months. I moved and that is why I had to leave. My manager worked with me and made a great schedule that worked great for both of us. The people I worked with were great, the customers were patient while I was learning everything . It was a great experience
Pros
My store was always a good day at work.
Cons
alot of work need 1 more person on shifts expecially on delivery days

2.9