STEWART & STEVENSON

STEWART & STEVENSON Employee Reviews

Productive and fun
Health Safety Environmental Coordinator (Former Employee), BeaumontJune 3, 2015
Pros: eight hour days
Cons: Too many hours
Co-workers are easy to work with and provide support. Working for this company was pleasure and advancements came quickly.
Good company to work for
Certified forklift operator / Heavy Equipment (Former Employee), Houston, TXMay 1, 2015
A typical day consisted of driving a forklift to pull and deliver orders. I learned to assemble hydraulic hoses. I learned safety rules and regulations for working in a warehouse. I worked well with management and co-workers.
free housing
Tech Team (Former Employee), Amarillo, TXApril 14, 2015
we would often have free housing and rides to work and free lunch thru the company as long as you worked that day. it was long hours nut great pay.
Invoice Coordinator (Current Employee), Dallas, TXMarch 23, 2015
This is a fast paced and friendly environment. You deal with customers on a daily basis along with the technicians. The benefits are really good, you don't have a waiting period. It is a lot to learn. You make daily phone calls to other major companies and city halls explaining to them their charges for their services. Overall a great place to work.
Great place to work, just never took off like it was promised
Test Technician (Former Employee), Killeen, TXFebruary 22, 2015
Pros: very convent to home, great company to be apart of over all
Cons: people had no respect for production base work
A typical day at work was laid back mostly waiting for someone to put out what was going on for the day.

There wasn't much to learn because most of the job fields there was set and no one want it to take the time to really train you up on anything they felt you didn't need to know.

Management was a shuffle board, in a 2 1/2yr period so many changes in management until nobody wanted to respect management unless it costed them a job.

The hardest part of the job was worrying if there would be a job to come to work to because of the difficultly of management.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the idea of learning from others or thinking they would understand the concept of teamwork
since we was all mostly veterans
This position was a great learning experience
Front Parts Counter Representative (Former Employee), Victoria, TexasFebruary 19, 2015
This position taught me about oilfield equipment.
The coworkers were great instructors with a wealth of knowledge.
Formal training could be improved.
Relaxed atmosphere, Good co-workers
SENIOR MECHANICAL DESIGNER (Current Employee), Houston, TXJanuary 14, 2015
Pros: relatively flexible hours and good environment
Cons: lack of training and history of lay-offs when oil prices fall
I really like that there is a range of times I'm allowed to start the work day. I'm usually left to do my job without someone constantly looking over my shoulder. There is only rarely tension in the office and most of the time everyone is pretty jovial. There is also a strong emphasis on family and understanding from management when family issues arise. Unfortunately, there is little training offered.
its a college kids job
Transmission Technician (Current Employee), Houston, TXDecember 15, 2014
Pros: everything
Cons: everything
lets face it. waiting table and being someones servant is not fun. Its a good job to make ends meet but not something you would want to do for a life time.
The company began as Stewart & Stevenson; bought by Armor Holdings; bought by BAE Systems. It was a great place to work. The comraderie was terrific.
SECRETARY TO SITE PRESIDENT (Former Employee), Sealy, TXOctober 27, 2014
Pros: great benefits, profit sharing and bonuses.
Cons: the plant closing was the worst part of my job; i did not want my job to end.
1. A typical day at work: My day began by downloading new contract orders via a government website; I would also download all EDI orders. I would get the matching folder from the sales personnel and enter the orders into the system. I matched the original sales order against the information in the new contract for accuracy. After entering all orders and passing along the folder to the Planner, I would begin researching all contract orders that shipped the night before against the customer due date. I created and maintained the On-Time Delivery Report for the department, branch and government officials. I would then download spreadsheets from the government for contracts they suspected were late deliveries; I would fill in all of the information and submit to managers and the government for possible credits. I would then turn my attention to the spreadsheet that I created and maintained for lost contract awards. I would research why our company lost the contract and searched for ways our company might improve our quotes. Every report was due the first day of every month, and I was never late for any of my reports.
2. What I learned: I learned that every single job at our facility made the difference in success or loss.
3. Management was always supportive and open to new ideas and always asked for our input. Management was always willing to help us learn new skills.
4. I cannot say enough good things regarding my co-workers. Everyone took on the team approach and we all helped one another, when needed.
5. The hardest part of my job were "the not knowing" issues according to business strategies or learning certain software queries. 6. The most enjoyable part of my job was the parties or picnics at the branch. We had a lot of terrific cooks and we even created our own cookbook.
Great place to work for
Divisional Rental Administrator (Current Employee), Dallas, TXJuly 14, 2014
Pros: pay is good
Cons: na
Love the challenges of my job. Fast paced and challenges me mentally on a daily basis. Looking for employment closer to my home. Sunset, tx
Desktop Support
DESKTOP SUPPORT SPECIALIST (Former Employee), Houston TXJuly 13, 2014
Pros: parties
Cons: regular layoffs
Desktop Support on a daily basis. regular income. Desktop Support on a daily basis. regular incomeDesktop Support on a daily basis. regular income
Just a job.
Senior Quality Control Inspector (Current Employee), Houston, TXMay 2, 2014
Report to work 7:00 am and leave at 3:45. Perform basic required duties throughout the day.
busy and fast pace work place
Receiving Clerk (Former Employee), Dallas, TXApril 14, 2014
I enjoyed working for this company but had no job security since the company's production is slowing down.
stewart & stevenson - un reliable employment
parts tech 3 (Former Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 23, 2014
Pros: competitive salary
Cons: limited promotions & nessisary training
complete requests for quote & sales of company product lines.
sharpened many existing skills .
management & co-workers strive to achieve sales goals , shipping goals , safety programs .
hardest part of job is upper managements rigidity !
most enjoyable part of the job where my very knowledgeable coworkers always eager to help as much as possible .
Military vehicle assembly
Quality Control Inspector (Former Employee), Sealy, TXFebruary 20, 2014
Highest safety standards and an pleasant work environment
Challenging work and fantastic colleagues
Provisioning / Logistics Analyst (Former Employee), Sealy, TXJanuary 29, 2014
Pros: casual business attire and flexible hours if needed.
Cons: restructuring and change management
Compressed Work Schedule (9/80). Learned various functions of Integrated Logistics and Project Management. Co-workers were extremely friendly. Hardest part of job was the continuous change management. Most enjoyable part of the job was knowing work was valuable to saving soldiers' lives and supporting our troops ~ who support us!
Accounts Payable, reconcilations, monthly analysis
Senior Accountant (Former Employee), Victoria, TXJanuary 22, 2014
Pros: there was always work to be done.
Cons: was having to do things to fix problems that cost more to fix then what it was fixing.
There was always a lot of work to keep you busy. Anything between accounts payable and accounts receivable all the way to closing the books for the month end.
Great job but too many company changes
Assembly Technician (Former Employee), TexasNovember 21, 2013
Pros: great cafeteria, employees
Cons: far drive to work, unstable company
Great job to work at and build army trucks.Only bad thing is they would sell the company like every 6 months and the company just felt unstable.Their was a nice cafeteria there and the employees were always easy to get along.
good place to work for
Electrical field service (Former Employee), Houston, TXOctober 27, 2013
LOts of training> Company treats you right with food every Friday.
Temp position
HR Assistant-Recruiting (Former Employee), Houston, TexasSeptember 10, 2013
Pros: gained experience in hr
Cons: only temp position
Worked in Human Resources on temp assignment. Gained experience in HR