Stewart & Stevenson Employee Reviews in United States

Inspector
Senior Quality Inspector/CWI (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 11, 2016
Good place to work, expectations reasonable, good people to work with, would go back anytime. The hardest part of the job was the onsite inspections.
Pros
Hours and close to home
Good when Oil is high, upper management limits progress
Senior Engineer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 6, 2016
No complaints about working at an individual branch location, lower/middle management is easy to work with and flexible working hours for salary employees. However, business decisions and policies from upper management made it extremely frustrating to do one's job or enjoy one's job. Towards the end, the policies made it very difficult to cooperate with other departments. It's a really fun place to work when oil prices are high, but when they're low, all the fun disappears.
Awesome COmpany
Network Administrator I (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 31, 2016
Great Company, higher Management is kind of iffy. Great people to work with, family oriented individuals. Pay is really good, its an oil and gas company and they have started laying off people, and taking benefits away. SO Kind of paranoid at whats going to happen to me
productive workplace
Executive Assistant to Vice President (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 9, 2016
Great work atmosphere, team work and organization.
Learned more about the oilfield, hiring process and HR guidelines.
Excellent company for benefits but very insecure
Assistant & Design Engineer (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXMay 7, 2016
Steward and Stevens is mainly an oil industry company. The company is strong during oil boom, or rather with high oil prices. When the price of oil is down, the company is brought to it's knees.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
oil dependent
Great Shop bunch of good guys there
Welder 2 / Fitter (Former Employee) –  Victoria, TXMarch 29, 2016
Management wasn't good there we didn't have steady work throughout the year because nobody wanted to bring us work because who was in charge. But we made it by , steady work would have been better though maybe we would have stayed open a little longer really enjoyed working with the guys i got to meet there , learned a lot from them.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
shut down
Demanding
Field Service Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXMarch 28, 2016
This job is a vary demanding job of your body and sometimes long hours. Must be able to communicate well. On call about once a month for the whole week.
Very Productive Workplace
MECHANICAL/ELECTRICAL ASSEMBLER 2 (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX 77095March 17, 2016
Stewart & Stevenson was a great place to work at. I really enjoyed the people and work atmosphere. The work there is pretty straightforward. The only thing is that the shops are very hot during summer and cold during the winter.
Pros
Great co-workers, benefis, pay
Cons
Shop atmosphere
Work here from 2014 to 2015
General mechanic 2 (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 14, 2016
Place is great when they have a lot of customers. Everything went south when the oil industry collapse. Overall the job culture is great, good people and fun environment.
Management was not great but neither that bad. This place is what you make out of it .
Pros
People, pay
Cons
Short handed
Terrible place to work/ Orlando
Diesel Technician (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 10, 2016
Overall terrible place, poor leadership and dangerous. Lies about raises or advancement. Poor shop conditions, terrible benefits. Buddy system and lacks knowledge about product.
Pros
Good seafood place near by there.
Cons
Everything.
Loved the people i worked with
Divisional Rental Administrator (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 24, 2016
It was great. I loved the people i worked with. I learned a lot there. The experience was great with the people i worked with.
Great Benefits Poor leadership
Field Service Technician (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 9, 2016
The history of Stewart and Stevenson can be intriguing to want to work here. But in the time frame that I have been employed here I have only seen favortism, and poor leadership and decision making.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Poor Management, Favortism
Miss working there
Accounts Receivable Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 1, 2016
I had to leave the company when my husband transferred to Tyler and I miss working there.
I started working with the company out of high school and worked my way up from receptionist at one of the branches to the accounts receivable department at the corporate office. I never missed a chance to learn how the other departments worked. The A/R department just seemed to fit.
A typical day consisted of running the financial reports necessary to obtain the daily receipts of wire transfers and ACH payments. Using these reports and the credit card reports submitted by the company branches I posted the daily receipts to the correct customer or G/L accounts in JD Edwards. The check batches were received and loaded into JD Edwards by my supervisor. I posted these check batches to the appropriate customer accounts and applied them per the details provided.
I learned I loved working with numbers. Figuring out what the customer meant to pay when there was a transposed invoice number or amount less tax or shipping was a challenge I really loved.
Management and my co-workers were a great group of people. We communicated well and formed a family of sorts. We went to lunch together and sometimes dinner after work. Being close enabled us to learn each others strengths and weaknesses which helped us help each other become more proficient.
The hardest part of the job was getting the branches to submit their reports and to process the invoices in a timely manner.
I enjoyed the sense of accomplishment I felt each time I completed a batch. Clearing the accounts and reconciling
  more... unapplied payments was always fun.  less
Pros
Good benefits, enjoyable atmosphere
Cons
AQ place to grow professionally
Senior Electrical Designer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 14, 2016
After 2 weeks in the technical Illustration pool, I was rewarded by the supervisor that he placed me in special projects. Later, I was moved to the engineering department and a new position was created for me, an Engineering Specialist. I delt with the government (Tacom) and handled several jobs without and engineer. I really liked the new position and the details of the job. I learned several new CAD softwares and was able to teach AutoCAD at the local high school.
It was a great place to work and the co-workers made everyone feel that they were important and needed. The company raised money for the towns food kitchen and had many activities that included the families.
Pros
Rewarded for doing a good job
Cons
Loss of government contract ended all employment company wide
overall bad place to work
welder 3 (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 14, 2016
Bad and unskilled managers, no raises, always lied to by upper management . Layoffs all the time, no security, and you're gone if you speak your mind.
Benefits
Cons
everything else
Bad taste?
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 11, 2016
Most of the time there was good. A vast majority of employees were very good at their jobs.Management was very open to comments,questions,opinions.However, as time marched on, and ownership changed, it became apparent that there was a very deep split between management and hourly employees.
The company seemed to be going in all directions at one time, with no particular reason, other than someone said "go".
As the gas/oil industry began to suffer heavy losses, it became the problem for the hourly people, not the ones making 6 figures or better. This left a bitter taste in peoples mouths.
I gotta wonder what do their customers think now???????
Environment
Technician Truck Shop III (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 9, 2016
Stewart and Stevenson in Houston, TX is a great place to work. They have good people and a friendly working environment.
unproductive place to work , nothing to do, cleaning all the time
Field Service Diesel Technician (Former Employee) –  Commerce City, COJanuary 4, 2016
Great company ten years ago, not the case now. Many layoffs since 2012. Salary is comparable with other industries of this nature. Too much favoritism for certain employees. This company is based on the( GOOD OLD BOY NETWORK). Was there for 25 years and then ,thanks, see you, buy. Other than that , they send you to schools , the benefits are good , layed back environment. most of your fellow workers are great. Management sticks together like a tic on a dog and when they don't like you , watch out.
Pros
benefits, pay, overtime if you want
Cons
management, old outdated shop . limited oppurtunity
MATERIAL HANDLER (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 21, 2015
Enjoyed my time there for the first 12 + yrs. New ownership the company changed. Two many changes not for the better. After many layoff's. just a matter of time morale went down company wide,
Pros
Good benifits
Cons
Non surport from management
Not at this time
Director, Information Technology (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 16, 2015
I am not willing to provide a review at this time. I have been with S&S for almost 15 years. I have moved thru the ranks learning much as a climbed the ladder.

2.8