Stewart & Stevenson

Stewart & Stevenson Employee Reviews

Rep tech customer support (Former Employee) –  Texas HoustonMarch 15, 2017
Was good place to work but when oilfield falls out watch out it every person for themself!!!!
Be careful of their HR department make policies as the they go just 🔥 fire you or back stab you
Cons
Make promises they to get you in but don't keep them
Good company to work for, good people
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Commerce City, COMarch 3, 2017
Good benefits, incentive pay program, Other mechanics and shop foreman and shift foremen always good people. Hired female mechanics, and had quite a few extremely knowledgeable people. I learned a great deal.
Pros
Cons
Took away incentive program
Lots of years with this company
Training Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 22, 2017
When the company was public I was allowed to learn and grow into different positions. Once the company went private it became a feast of the fittest shark.
Pros
Great if you're a technician
Cons
Afraid any day may be your last
bring your own personal effort to achieve growth.
Hydraulic Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 21, 2017
6am start hooking hydraulic hose on equipment, moving equipment from fab to assembly, test finished equipment at testing area, cutting ,welding, operating forklifts and overhead cranes.a straight forward place to work with an professional attitude
nothings hard about the work and the team of people are great to work with.
Unstable
Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 15, 2017
This company used to have a great reputation within the industry, but now it is viewed as an overpriced place with high turn over. They tend to raise prices and then try to get customers back and in turn have to lay off good people when business is down. They don't invest in their employees.
overall i enjoyed my 17 years with this company and dont regret a thing.
Mechanical Assembly (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 19, 2017
my typical day at Stewart &Stevenson consisted of the assembly of a Fracturing unit, everything from installing the engine, pump and the entire cooling system along with all hydraulics, to the lube tank fuel tanks and all electrical components. I learned how to put fracs together and their function n the oil field. I enjoyed the people that i worked with on a daily basis and the satisfaction of knowing that we were producing million dollar vehicles daily. i also enjoyed the fact that the company was very family orientated, and were also doing things for the enployees on a weekly basis. We took pride in our facility and enjoyed coming to work everyday.
Stewart & Stevenson is a good company
Payroll Supervisor/Analyst (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 11, 2017
Working here I was in a relaxed environment with employees who came to work, did their jobs and went home.

It was a structured environment and each day was a different task with deadlines. The hardest part is our systems would go down and the easiest was everyone got along and did what was needed for the job with no hassles.
Pros
Everyone seemed to have worked here for years
Cons
Lay offs were consistant due to economy
Great Place to Work, very family oriented
Quotations Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 16, 2016
Management keeps you busy and challenged. Rewards success appropriately. Atmosphere is that of a team with heavy emphasis on family. Only drawback is that Stewart & Stevenson relies too much on Oil & Gas Market.
Great Team
Senior Quality Assurance Inspector (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TX 79765December 2, 2016
We had a great team of employees with the sole goal of completing our assigned tasks. Unfortunately, our branch was closed due to lack of work. Our higher management failed in assigning a salesperson(s) to develop business.
Pros
great insurance package, great local management.
Cons
upper management failed the company
Field Maintenace Technician (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 15, 2016
Pay was competitive and checks were good when there was overtime. Very helpful and knowledgeable coworkers. Only bad was work tend to slow down with no warning.
Pros
Great learning place
Cons
unpredictable hrs
good place to work at
Painter & Sandblaster (Former Employee) –  Katy, TXNovember 15, 2016
my day always went by fast because we were always so busy and by the time you know it, its already time to go home. I worked with a good team.
Good place to have worked at
Senior Electrical Designer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX 77095November 15, 2016
Learned AutoCAD Electrical much on my own but had a great teacher that not only helped the company produce a better product, but helped me. The engineering staff and my co-workers were always helped and professional and I couldn't have asked for a better place to work.
Pros
New skills
Cons
Laid off due to no fault of my own. Oil & Gas you know
Upper management is a mess
Front Counter Sales (Former Employee) –  Edmond, OKOctober 5, 2016
I am glad about what my job offered and help me achieve in life. It is hard to recommend this company as my location was closed down with very little done to help the location stay afloat. It seemed apparent thing weren't going well but upper management would not allow us to expand our offerings to bring more revenue. Due to lack of movement on their part the inevitable happened. Until the day we were let go everyone had the feeling that they wanted us to fail.
Good training program
Group Leader (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 23, 2016
Good training program, good benefits. Management needs to listen to their employees and the market. There are some very good people within the company who make all the difference. As with all companies, some things could be better but overall it's a decent place to work.
Exciting place to work with opportunities for advancement
Assembly Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 20, 2016
Enjoyed meeting all the people I worked with, very family oriented. Made a lot of friends and had some great memories.

Working in the heat was the hardest part of the job, we worked in a shop with no breeze.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Work depended on oil business.
clean place to work
Welder (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXSeptember 7, 2016
steady work with decent equipment and good people to work around.building are fairly well maintaned benefits where very nice and they worked well with you doing things in personal life
liars
N/A (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXSeptember 7, 2016
If you don't want to be lied to or work for a clown then don't work their, typical losers and low lifes, you know the type, they think they are better than you, yet the lies just roll off the tounge, like it is part of the job.
Pros
Cons
They lied right off the bat
Good work-lille balance
Electrical Engineer - Vehicular (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 26, 2016
Stewart and Stevenson provided me an opportunity to become part of the oil and gas industry. I came from a sweatshop environment in Central Florida and was seeking a new opportunity. I moved from sunny Florida to Texas to work in the most essential industry in the country. Stewart and Stevenson actually offered me $5k more than I requested.

The work environment was pretty laid back.

Production personnel were easy to work with and treated you with respect. For the most part, that applied to management as well.

From my standpoint, tasks were well defined and processes were fairly well documented. The company had a very good engineering change system and took full advantage of available software to process changes and new designs.

Due to an impending slowdown in the fracking industry, I elected to move, but if that didn't occur, I would have likely stayed there.

The only con was that designers were given free reign to walk over engineers at times. Most of the time that works, but it creates a climate of overt hostility at times.
Pros
great IT department, laissez faire atmosphere, friendly managment
Cons
purchasing department, financial problems, pay not industry norm
Nice and easy place to work
Diesel Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Killeen, TXJuly 13, 2016
It was a good place to work but job security was a problem being it was dependent on oil field production when it was good then you're good if not then you are unemployed.
Inspector
Senior Quality Inspector/CWI (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 11, 2016
Good place to work, expectations reasonable, good people to work with, would go back anytime. The hardest part of the job was the onsite inspections.
Pros
Hours and close to home

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Stewart & Stevenson. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8