Stewart Enterprises Employee Reviews in United States

very different place to work
CUSTOMER CARE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Harahan, LAJune 17, 2016
My days consisted of answering customer calls, accepting payments over the phone to log into the computer. I would also discuss their funeral service plans with them and answer any questions they may have about their plots and other necessary information. I would sometimes schedule call backs for clients that wanted to open accounts with the company.
Pros
I learned so much about the funeral service business
Cons
The business closed
learning experience
General Manager, Assistant Sales Director (Former Employee) –  Newark, OHMarch 11, 2016
This was my favorite job.
unlike alot of others we werent straight commission we had a draw vs. commission.
On a daily routine as a manager i would conduct sales meetings,train on scripts and door approach.
In the evening i was in homes training employees how to sell effectively by providing feedback for growth.
Pros
all
Cons
not too many
Some what stressful yet really rewarding
Funeral assistant (Current Employee) –  OregonMay 5, 2014
I have worked for this company for nearly 3 weeks.yes a short time,but the atmosphere is great!everybody looks out for each other and treat each other like family.stewart was recently purchased by the major corporation SCI and I came in exactly at our merger.the regional manager and hr were extremely friendly yet business driven.as long as you do what is needed to the best of your ability,they give you the best in return.so far a great company.
Pros
co workers, management, advancements, dealing with families during there time of need
Cons
training for sci, a lot of deadlines, the upset families
A Good Place to Work
Employee Relations Manager (Current Employee) –  San DiegoNovember 27, 2013
Although I only worked there for about 6 months (due to a merger) I quickly found a home at Stewart Enterprises. The company culture, management style and employee work force were all exactly what I was looking for. The salaries are competitive, and the incentives are adequate. I wish the benefits were a bit better.
Payroll Processor
Payroll Processor (Current Employee) –  Harahan, LAOctober 4, 2015
I was responsible for making certain the weekly payrolls were ran accordingly. This included a lot of contact with managers and also employees too
Professional high quailtiy Funeral Home.
Apprentice Embalmer (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 2, 2013
Very busy everyday! Leaned time management very quickly. Management was very helpful and present. Co-worker were nice to work with. Long hours was the hardest part ot this job. Most enjoyable part was satisfaction for helping in a time of need.
Pros
meeting all types of people.
Cons
not knowing when the work day would end.
Already reviewed
Administrative Processor (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLDecember 3, 2014
Already reviewed. What more is there to say. There was no place for advancement and the benefits/pay were not in line with other companies.
Assisting families with a death.
Sales and marketing (Former Employee) –  Springhill, FloridaJanuary 19, 2015
I would assist families when a death occurred in their life. I would walk them through the process of Cremation, Burial or Entombment. I would as well, be there for the family while this process was happing and then for months after the death occurred. Providing information of Pre-Arrangements and doing follow up on any problems that might have happened.
Pros
helping families at the worst time of their life.
Cons
management
Low Commissions
Pre-Planning Specialist (Former Employee) –  Apopka, FloridaApril 21, 2014
This has been the worst job I ever did. I was with Balwin Fairchild for 6 months. The older people that been in the company are sharks. The manager don't care at all for the families, all the care is to force employees to sell to families things that they don't need. In my case they used to make fun at my accent. One of the older men was disrespectful to me in front of the manager and the manager did ''nothing''.
However the good part was that I met great families and people in the community and develop great relationships.

The company however has a great culture ''Caring'', but manager and the older veteran people there don't go by it. To bad they loose all the time great sales and caring people with lots of potential.

Hope this is helpful.
Pros
meeting new people around the community
Cons
after working very hard, you make very little commission.
They will use you up and then throw you away.
Cemetery Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOJune 13, 2013
The upper management in the Midwest region is corrupt. They will get rid of people on a whim or drive them to quit just beacause they decided not to like you. I have sat through countless meetings where the DO made fun of employees that weren't in the office that day. Very uncomfortable. Don't make fun of someone that has a speech impediment! They do not care for the grounds crew and treat them as expendible. They finally upped their pay because they lost half the crew. It had been brought to their attention for two years and their answer was if they are not happy tell them to leave. Well, they did. The office manager called a grieving father a very foul name while he was standing around the corner. He heard her, but she still works there. I guess it's who you know, and what you will kiss to keep your job.
Pros
you are sometimes allowed to keep your overtime.
Cons
you are only sometimes allowed to keep your overtime.
Executive Administrative Assistant
Assistant to the Vice President (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 16, 2014
Dedicated and focused Executive Administrative Assistant who excels at prioritizing, completing multiple tasks simultaneously and following through to achieve project goals. Seeking a role of increased responsibility and authority. Office Manager adept at managing multiple projects with ease using expert time management methods. Personable Executive Assistant who capably maintains open lines of communication among senior executives, board members, shareholders, middle management and administrative staff.
Director of lnformation Systems (Former Employee) –  Metairie, LAJuly 4, 2012
Good working environment, good benefits, excellent chance for advancement
Funeral Life
Account Executive/Community Counselor (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 18, 2012
A typical day at work is filled with all types of customers. I have learned how to be patient and understanding in all different type of situations. Management constantly changes. Co-workers constantly change. The only consistency is what I do day to day. The hardest part of the job is not allowing my emotions to interfere in the daily tasks. However, the most enjoyable part is paying it forward and seeing the families happy eventho it might be the hardest day of their lives.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
no base pay
Fun place to work
Funeral Arranger/Director (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 18, 2013
Busy but rewarding, upper management could be better, direct manager is great
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
poor upper management, no support, greedy
Putting people in the ground in more ways than one
No thanks (Former Employee) –  USADecember 7, 2012
If you're a woman, minority, or not a Jesuit graduate, don't bother. The ethics and morals of this business could be summed up in one word: "huh?" Because they pay well, they have a stranglehold on most employees.
Pros
free death care services if you need them for your family. pays well.
Cons
incompetence in pretty much every level of management. 24 hour security for some reason.
calm fun and very easy going
General Clerk (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 23, 2012
Answering inter-company phone calls average 8:30-5:30 work day. I got a lot of office experience working here coming from fast food was the most difficult part,but very fun. Management was very flexible with me and fun to work with. My co-workers were very friendly and patient while training me. I think the most enjoyable part was the whole job it was so fun.
Great workplace
Filing, Canceling Customers Contracts, Data Entry (Current Employee) –  Jefferson, LAApril 8, 2014
Come to work submit credit card report, checks and where they come from, management is Great, coworker are great sometimes, nothing really, handling and processimh credit cards and checks.
Pros
free lunch on special ocassions
Cons
getting laid off
Originally a fresh start with a really great company
Funeral Director/Embalmer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 14, 2014
After previous funeral experience, Stewart Enterprises was a "breath of fresh air". It seemed as if this was an employer who was better capable achieving the concept of working as a team. Since Stewart Enterprises was the No.2 in the corporate American Funeral Service Industry, it just seemed that they had a much kinder gentler approach to all they did.
Pros
a total about face from working with service corp. international (sci)
Cons
approx. 2011 the gentleman how served as president left the company, new regime was nothing like the previous one, 2013 announcement was made that sci was taking over stewart, not willing to work under sci so i elected to retire.
No Values or Ethics
General Manager (Former Employee) –  MissouriNovember 8, 2012
This company and its management has one thing in mind make as much money as they can and take advantage of the families they serve and the employees who work for them.
Most Unproffesional Place I Have Ever Worked
Admen (Former Employee) –  Holly Memorail Gardens Charlottesville VirginaSeptember 5, 2013
I was hired by a person that trained so fast you couldn't even keep up, that is when she wasn't talking to her husband on her cell phone or outside sucking on a cig.
Then you got wrote up for stupid mistakes you should have learned in training. The grounds crew and sales people here was awesome,
but every one else, did not do any thing out of the way to help you.
I got wrote up one day when they were having worker appreciation day, and was told to go home with out pay didn't even get invited to the dinner, so rude , have a mother a daughter team which is crazy, when she doesn't know how to do some thing she just text's her mother who then tells her how to do it.Half of my family is buried there, but I bet no one else will be , they way they treat people I wouldn't bury my dog there! Management is a joke, all they are worried about is that almighty dollar and don't care who they step on, talk about , or stab in the back. They make you feel stupid, which is funny because if I had the appropriate training I would have been fine. My previous job I had to answer to 6 different people and the work was hard, but they trained you right so there was never a problem, I will be begging them for my job back. Do your self a favor, skip this place its nothing but stress, back stabbing, talking about you behind your back and improper training. The most horrible place I have ever worked in my life !
Pros
see diffrent people
Cons
training and management is a joke!