Stewart Enterprises

Stewart Enterprises United States Employee Reviews

Traditional Large-Corporation Culture, Highly Family Friendly
Information Systems Business Analyst (Former Employee), New Orleans, LAFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: job stability, fascinating industry, farsighted leadership
Cons: relatively unadventurous corporate culture, slower advancement
Because this company provides ‘death care,’ which is the set of services you need when the health care industry has finished with you, employees of all ages achieve an early recognition that time is limited and that work is a means to an end. As a result, everybody works very hard to do a terrific job caring for the bereaved persons making up the customer base, and they do the best job of any company in this sector. They also maintain strong work life balance and this is supported at all levels of the company.

Management is typical of that found at large corporations, but not too button-down; the IT department has been very well led and has made judicious decisions that have served the Company well. That said, this is not the place to hone your bleeding-edge Web 2.0 mobile-sector skills, nor to flash it up at work in your personal or professional style. Remember, this is death care. Shh! Somebody died. Be restrained and respectful of the nature of the work, even if you are building a marketing database and never come close to the tears and tissues part of the job, which is highly respected within the Company as a vocation.

The hardest part of the job for me was achieving comfort with the mundane reality of death. After that, came the concept that you ARE serving people’s needs, and this involves selling and promotion. When I heard someone say “Remember, she may be grieving, but she is still a consumer,” I had a profound moment when I realized, that sounds crass at first, but then - this is SO true! Funerals cost a lot. She can get lousy service and buy funeral products and – more... services that do not promote her longer term comfort as a bereaved of the deceased, or she can get great service and be better served in her time of need, and remain comfortable as time goes by that the money spent was well spent. The Company maintains a fine and enforced balance between what is suitable in pitching products, but like most people I had to think about this a while.

Oddly the most enjoyable part of the job was learning the details of the death care industry. It is fascinating, and an industry (and it IS an industry) whose products and services every one of us will someday need. Buy your own final arrangements now or plan buy them later, or thoughtlessly dump that expense on your heirs ~ one way or another, you will be a customer of this sector. I learned that paying your own way in advance can be a final act of consideration and love shown to your survivors. I did love my job, despite the glacial pace of advancement and only moderate compensation increases over time.

Stewart has been acquired by another company and I cannot speak to that company’s culture, but I believe the Stewart culture will persist at its locations and may improve the culture of the buying company. – less
Assisting families with a death.
Sales and marketing (Former Employee), Springhill, FloridaJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: helping families at the worst time of their life.
Cons: management
I would assist families when a death occurred in their life. I would walk them through the process of Cremation, Burial or Entombment. I would as well, be there for the family while this process was happing and then for months after the death occurred. Providing information of Pre-Arrangements and doing follow up on any problems that might have happened.
Already reviewed
Administrative Processor (Former Employee), Tampa, FLDecember 3, 2014
Already reviewed. What more is there to say. There was no place for advancement and the benefits/pay were not in line with other companies.
Decent
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee), Jefferson, LASeptember 24, 2014
It was just a job and I did it well up until the company outsource my services.
Excellent
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Hialeah, FLSeptember 12, 2014
Very rewarding job. Enjoyed helping families during such difficult times.
Productive Customer Care Employment
Pre-need Specialist (Former Employee), Metairie, LAJune 17, 2014
Working for Stewart Enterprises gave me a foundation in customer service skills. The hardest part of my job position was dealing with bereaved customers. Assisting customers get through financial inquiries with ease during times of difficulty was gratifying.
My job is my satisfaction
HR Specialist (Former Employee), San Juan, PRJune 6, 2014
My typical day at work is have a lot of work to made on time in addition to attend employees, different situation, letter, communications, phone call, etc. but very satisfactory to help the employees and made correct my work.

I learn help our people is make the different and obtain the satisfaction of a good work . I enjoy all areas of my responsibilities and I don't think hardest area of my work.
Great experience with community relations
Licensed Funeral Director / Embalmer (Current Employee), West Palm Beach, FLMay 22, 2014
I take great pride in serving families and individuals who need customer service assistance by someone who is compassionate, knowledgeable,respectful, and dependable.

In addition, I like working on a team but can work just as easily on an independent basis.
Some what stressful yet really rewarding
Funeral assistant (Current Employee), OregonMay 5, 2014
Pros: co workers, management, advancements, dealing with families during there time of need
Cons: training for sci, a lot of deadlines, the upset families
I have worked for this company for nearly 3 weeks.yes a short time,but the atmosphere is great!everybody looks out for each other and treat each other like family.stewart was recently purchased by the major corporation SCI and I came in exactly at our merger.the regional manager and hr were extremely friendly yet business driven.as long as you do what is needed to the best of your ability,they give you the best in return.so far a great company.
Low Commissions
Pre-Planning Specialist (Former Employee), Apopka, FloridaApril 21, 2014
Pros: meeting new people around the community
Cons: after working very hard, you make very little commission.
This has been the worst job I ever did. I was with Balwin Fairchild for 6 months. The older people that been in the company are sharks. The manager don't care at all for the families, all the care is to force employees to sell to families things that they don't need. In my case they used to make fun at my accent. One of the older men was disrespectful to me in front of the manager and the manager did ''nothing''.
However the good part was that I met great families and people in the community and develop great relationships.

The company however has a great culture ''Caring'', but manager and the older veteran people there don't go by it. To bad they loose all the time great sales and caring people with lots of potential.

Hope this is helpful.
Originally a fresh start with a really great company
Funeral Director/Embalmer (Former Employee), Houston, TXApril 14, 2014
Pros: a total about face from working with service corp. international (sci)
Cons: approx. 2011 the gentleman how served as president left the company, new regime was nothing like the previous one, 2013 announcement was made that sci was taking over stewart, not willing to work under sci so i elected to retire.
After previous funeral experience, Stewart Enterprises was a "breath of fresh air". It seemed as if this was an employer who was better capable achieving the concept of working as a team. Since Stewart Enterprises was the No.2 in the corporate American Funeral Service Industry, it just seemed that they had a much kinder gentler approach to all they did.
A place to learn about the death care industry and then leave.
Sales (Former Employee), Mission HillsApril 13, 2014
The worse place I've ever worked. Very low commisions and no ethics enviromment. No very good management. People don't stay long.
customer service and sales connected to funeral business
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee), Miami, FLApril 11, 2014
Pros: good environment
Cons: not flexible hours, low salary
nice place to work but the salary was too low, had to star going to school already
Great workplace
Filing, Canceling Customers Contracts, Data Entry (Current Employee), Jefferson, LAApril 8, 2014
Pros: free lunch on special ocassions
Cons: getting laid off
Come to work submit credit card report, checks and where they come from, management is Great, coworker are great sometimes, nothing really, handling and processimh credit cards and checks.
Very fulfilling
Supervisor (Current Employee), San Diego CaMarch 13, 2014
Pros: familiy satifaction
Cons: stressfull
High energy, heavy fast paced work load/environment
Compassion/customer satisfaction
Work on several cases at same time on a daily basis
Helpful to have upbeat co-worker, as this is very stressful environment
Keeping up with service deadlines
When families have the experience they deserve/want in this very difficult time in their lives.
Good company until SCI bought them
Director of Operations (Former Employee), VirginiaFebruary 27, 2014
Pros: solid pay..
Cons: sold to sci
Just read all the bad things about SCI and insert here now. Dark day when this company was taken over by the corporate giant SCI
Executive Administrative Assistant
Assistant to the Vice President (Former Employee), Orlando, FLJanuary 16, 2014
Dedicated and focused Executive Administrative Assistant who excels at prioritizing, completing multiple tasks simultaneously and following through to achieve project goals. Seeking a role of increased responsibility and authority. Office Manager adept at managing multiple projects with ease using expert time management methods. Personable Executive Assistant who capably maintains open lines of communication among senior executives, board members, shareholders, middle management and administrative staff.
A Good Place to Work
Employee Relations Manager (Current Employee), San DiegoNovember 27, 2013
Although I only worked there for about 6 months (due to a merger) I quickly found a home at Stewart Enterprises. The company culture, management style and employee work force were all exactly what I was looking for. The salaries are competitive, and the incentives are adequate. I wish the benefits were a bit better.
Fun place to work
Funeral Arranger/Director (Former Employee), San Diego, CAOctober 18, 2013
Pros: excellent benefits
Cons: poor upper management, no support, greedy
Busy but rewarding, upper management could be better, direct manager is great
Most Unproffesional Place I Have Ever Worked
Admen (Former Employee), Holly Memorail Gardens Charlottesville VirginaSeptember 5, 2013
Pros: see diffrent people
Cons: training and management is a joke!
I was hired by a person that trained so fast you couldn't even keep up, that is when she wasn't talking to her husband on her cell phone or outside sucking on a cig.
Then you got wrote up for stupid mistakes you should have learned in training. The grounds crew and sales people here was awesome,
but every one else, did not do any thing out of the way to help you.
I got wrote up one day when they were having worker appreciation day, and was told to go home with out pay didn't even get invited to the dinner, so rude , have a mother a daughter team which is crazy, when she doesn't know how to do some thing she just text's her mother who then tells her how to do it.Half of my family is buried there, but I bet no one else will be , they way they treat people I wouldn't bury my dog there! Management is a joke, all they are worried about is that almighty dollar and don't care who they step on, talk about , or stab in the back. They make you feel stupid, which is funny because if I had the appropriate training I would have been fine. My previous job I had to answer to 6 different people and the work was hard, but they trained you right so there was never a problem, I will be begging them for my job back. Do your self a favor, skip this place its nothing but stress, back stabbing, talking about you behind your back and improper training. The most horrible place I have ever worked in my life !

About Stewart Enterprises

O death! Where is thy sting? Nowhere, if Stewart Enterprises has anything to do with it. The #2 provider of funeral services in – Read more

Stewart Enterprises Salaries